Flashback Was Almost The Godfather In The Future!

By John Walker on July 18th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

I wasted so much time on that.

Remaking Flashback is obviously mad. Flashback is fine already, thanks. But still, let them have their fun, and we’ll all switch it back to the original graphics when we play – we’re not mad! But a new making of trailer is well worth a watch because it focuses on the original game, rather than the needlessly shiny new one. Including footage of how the game was originally intended to be a Godfather license set in the future. Er.

Maybe everyone already knew the Godfather thing, and I was too busy looking at butterflies to have heard about it before. But I just love that this studio won the Godfather license, back in those days when every single film ever had to have a blocky videogame travesty, and they said: “Set it in the future! Side-scrolling shooter, science fiction, in the future!” And no one at all said, “Don’t be infinity-bats insane – that makes so little sense as a thing to even say out loud that the walls are bleeding soup.” Fortunately, someone at some level of seniority finally stepped in and announced, “YOU FRENCHIES ARE ALL BONKERS!” and told them to make it not be about the Godfather.

As Adam recently pointed out, the new graphics are completely charmless, entirely missing what made the original so visually appealing. But then at the same time, DID YOU SEE FRANCIS COURCHINOUX’S HAIR?! What a dude.

Stupid-o-news is that Ubisoft have done a dumbass deal with Microsoft to release this on Xbox first, meaning PC release dates and prices are “TBC”. So, they’ve fucked themselves for sales then.

, .

1. WoundedBum says:

Did other released first on Xbox games not sell well, like State of Decay, Castle Crashers, Limbo etc?

• Hytleder says:

I quit working at shoprite to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $45 to 85 per/h. Without a doubt, this is the easiest and most financially rewarding job I’ve ever had. I actually started 6 months ago and this has totally changed my life. Here’s what I do, http://Going1.com

2. valz says:

Augh, those graphics aren’t even good in a modern way, much less in a Flashback way. So bright and cartoonishly simplified.

Hodge says:

Pretty much, yeah.

JR says:

All good trailers show their game’s end. :/

Also i find this irreverent as long as this exists: http://lparchive.org/Flashback/Update%201/
    (note: As done by Yahtzee! Before he was Mr. Zero Punctuation!)

• Mad Hamish says:

Hang on, something’s not right. On page two there’s a photoshoped batman in a picture. A Dark Knight, Christian Bale Batman. 2008 Batman.

• Lukaspz says:

Don’t worry, it’s only a deam!

DrScuttles says:

He’s wearing the ‘if.. only I could just… move my… neck…’ suit, so I’d lean to it being from Batman Begins rather than The Dark Knight.

Gap Gen says:

What is this strange language Kurt McClung is speaking? I understand not.

6. valz says:

Here is a well-made Flashback source port for anyone interested in playing the original game on modern systems. There are versions for systems not shown on the page I’m linking as well. For example, there is a PSP port. http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

Bluerps says:

So? I have longer hair than that, and I’m a dude too.

8. Dariune says:

I am biased because Flashback was my favourite game as a child but this looks like the worst remake of a game I have ever seen. (No exageration)

The character of the game looks to be completely gone.

The style of the game looks generic now.

I can’t really comment on the gameplay but it looks changed (Though how much can you change a platformer like Flashback? I don’t know)

This honestly looks like a travesty IMO.

• eclipse mattaru says:

I’m nowhere near as big a fan of the original, but I’m with you all the way. Dumping a unique, charming visual style for the most generic kind of pseudo-realistic shinies is the stupidest idea I can think of. I feel I can’t trust this people, they will surely manage to fuck up the game in every other aspect.

9. Deadly Habit says:

Yall are crazy, this looks great. The original is one of my top 10 games period and I’m still hyped for this, it looks like the original with a fresh coast of paint which is just what it should have.

Andy_Panthro says:

Instead of The Godfather they ended up borrowing a little from Total Recall and The Running Man, which I quite liked.

11. e1zorro says:

If they can’t even agree as to whether they built the original flashback from their basement or their attic then there’s little hope for the reboot.

12. lilly_watson says:

my roomate’s step-aunt makes $61 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for five months but last month her paycheck was $20774 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site…..b­u­z­z­5­5.ℂ­ℴ­m