Splinter Cell: Blacklist Trailer #43,829

By John Walker on July 18th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Aha!

How times have changed. It used to be that the British ruling hawks would not allow our delicate eyes to witness a snapped neck. And madly recently, too. For instance, British viewers of Buffy were left completely oblivious to what happened Ms. Calendar, since the scene where Angelus unscrewed her head never appeared. She just stopped being in the show. Thanks, censorship! But now look at things – today’s trailer for Splinter Cell: Blacklist contains a neck-snapping scene that would have had the footage banned barely ten years ago. Also, SERIOUS TALK ABOUT HOW SERIOUS THE SITUATION IS.

IT’S A VERY SERIOUS SITUATION.

Snap!

, , .

1. BTAxis says:

Snapping necks is okay, as are other forms of murder and mutilation. Basic human anatomy, however, is out of the question.

• John Walker says:

In the UK? Not at all.

• frightlever says:

You sure Buffy was censored on Sky One, where it was originally shown in the UK, and not only on BBC2 where it largely had an around dinnertime timeslot? I mean I wouldn’t argue for neck-snapping on children’s television. Actually, are Dick and Dom still on?

• LennyLeonardo says:

I definitely saw the unedited version on TV in the UK, could’ve been Sky One. Wait, maybe I saw it when I was in the states. Poor Giles.

Sob.

phlebas says:

Giles walking up the stairs remains part of my definition of horror.

• Zekiel says:

All hail the wonderful Joss Wheedon. There’s a man who knows how to fill your heart with hope and then brutally crush it. In a really addictive and satisfying way.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yes, although the greatest hope-crushing was done by Fox.

FYI: anyone who has not seen Much Ado About Nothing should do so now. It’s wonderful.

phlebas says:

It was only the early-evening showing – the late repeat was uncut, so we could find out what had happened to Jenny or Warren or whomever. Channel 4 did an even worse job on Angel, though.

Rizlar says:

SyFy’s daytime showings of Buffy are making a mess of it as well. Seem to remember one where she kills a demon by squishing it’s eyeballs in with her thumbs. This, of course, was only through inference from a continuity error followed by Xander quipping about eyes.

2. Gnoupi says:

Oh great, interlacing REAL FOOTAGE. So that you feel like it’s all connected to reality. Because that’s what we need a game to be, a super realistic rendition of a guy singlehandedly snapping necks of countless evil terrorists.

When I see trailers like that, I really realize I’m completely disconnected from the marketing target. Couldn’t care less for yet another super realistic and super serious modern story.

Gap Gen says:

The assumption being that modern action games are at all realistic (with the exception of ArmA, I suppose).

• Muzman says:

These games are the Commando and Chuck Norris movies of the 21st century. I don’t think the games journalism world generally notices that they are utterly absurd on all fronts. Commando and Chuck Norris movies were never the big titles in movies or the backbone of the industry. There were several tiers further up the quality scale to go before you hit the top.
      In games they are. Good job games!

• cunningmunki says:

I know what you mean, and I’ve made a similar argument before (somewhere) about the current AAA game industry being very similar to Hollywood in the mid to late 80s and early 90s, in the sense that they are utterly obsessed with just replicating formulas for a misperceived, predominantly male, audience.
        Hollywood hasn’t changed a great deal since, to be fair, and seem more obsessed than ever with remakes, reboots and sequels, but, they now seem to have a much better grasp on their audiences, and there is at least a sense that there’s more emphasis put on hiring good directors and writers than just hiring any old hack, and even taking more than the occasional risk. Whereas the big game studios are still playing it safe and just churn out one brodude game after another.
        Thankfully, I think we’re coming out of this wretched period in video games history, into one where the audience will be in control of, and contribute to, what gets developed and released.

Phew, what was the article about again?

• Synesthesia says:

So much this. Can we talk a bit more about this? We need to. It’s time.

3. Njordsk says:

Ah terrorists.

I wish sam would enter wall street some day and make his little dirty work.

4. Sian says:

I was not aware that Ms. Calendar’s death was censored in the UK. I’m pretty sure they showed it on German TV, and the German censors are quite strict where violence is concerned. Or were, I’m not up to date.

Zunt says:

From what I can recall Buffy and similar shows were deemed children’s shows by the Beeb, so it transmitted them quite early in the evening. They were then usually re-transmitted later in the week after the 9pm watershed in all their crunchy glory.

Gap Gen says:

In a similar fashion, I imagine a lot of children grow up thinking short silences are part of the technique in rapping.

• Sian says:

Okay, this reference I don’t get. What’d I miss?

• Muzman says:

In a lot of rap songs the label will produce a version with the swear words and sexual references just blanked out, rather than redo the whole lyric, so it doesn’t interrupt the music (sometimes producing hilarious results where tracks are reduced to pronouns and conjunctions)

• Sian says:

Oooh, that. Now I feel stupid. Thanks for clearing it up.

• DiamondDog says:

Yeah but they miss a trick by not changing the lyrics.

“He fed her up the duck pond.”

• LennyLeonardo says:

JamesTheNumberless says:

It’s not about the notes, it’s about the spaces in between… Classical music was really just a constant stream of obscenities whilst banging on the piano, until somebody censored it for Victorian tastes. The uncensored version of Edvard Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A minor is particularly unsavory in its profanity.

Gap Gen says:

I am now imagining 4’33″ as a non-stop stream of profanities, edited for radio.

• Sian says:

Sometimes I don’t get these TV people. Sure, almost never blood, but it’s still a show about a girl killing off vampires who are mostly not very nice people.

• Nethlem says:

It’s just strange regional difference.
      Afaik in the UK they had some trouble with the Ninja Turtles due to Michelangelo using Nunchaku as a weapon. They also did get their own censored version of Carmageddon.

And in Germany they are censoring kids cartoons like Conan the detective.

Guess that’s why we can’t have nice things :/

• Arithon says:

The BBC in 1987 deemed that using the word “Ninja” implied violence, and wouldn’t let the show be shown in its native form, so renamed the cartoon “Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles”.
        Pathetic really.
        By 1990 – only three years later – the Turtles live action film was released and the British Board of Film Classification had no problem with the “Ninja” name and the turtles have been Ninja’s ever since.

It has come to light the at the time (1987) and the decades proceeding it, the BBC had a big problem internally with some of their prime presenters being paedophiles, so in hindsight, their obsession with Ninja’s was extremely misplaced, if they really wanted to “protect the children”.

Zunt says:

The game is rated 18, so our innocent weans won’t be able to virtually snap necks. But the trailer? Do internet trailers have ratings? I note that RPS and other gaming media outlets have uploaded it to youtube without any of the graphic content warnings…

Morlock says:

“To protect the lives of millions” I will snap the necks of 10,000 dudes.

Jackablade says:

I’m inclined to think that the human neck is a little more stretchy and more resilient to being twisted slightly than Hollywood and the games industry would like us to believe

Revisor says:

Terrorists. Terrorists everywhere!

• Ross Angus says:

When I did a similar move in Dishonored, I called it the “sleepy cuddle”. Just to my self, of course. And not out loud.

Gap Gen says:

I am deeply disappointed that you didn’t shout SLEEPY CUDDLE TIME every time you choked a guard.

9. radian says:

Remember that time they stopped censoring nunchucks and our whole generation nunchucked itself to oblivion ?

10. dee says:

“The blacklist cannot be stopped. Not by law, not by diplomacy, not by an army”

So, a lot like the U.S’ actual blacklist , then.

11. BobbyDylan says:

Wow, the more of this game they show, the less interesting it seems to be. It looks like a game I’ve played already. Multiple times.

Pass….

12. Muzman says:

You talk about the violence these days in this sort of thing. I’m still kind of amazed by Tomb Raider. It was mentioned here and there in a couple articles but really nothing seemed to express just how insane that game was once you saw it. It’s like friggin High Tension only harder to take. There’s some sort of arms race going on with just how gross people can be.
    As Charlie Brooker was alluding to, you’ve got to wonder what sort of rarified world devs must live in. I imagine them lovingly coding blood sprays and recording gurgling, drowning-in-your-own-aortal-blood sounds. Then spies from other studios running in and showing how the other guys let you smash someones skull with real time hard body physics so we’re going to lose this christmas if we don’t do the same.

• thegooseking says:

You have a point. I’m generally of the opinion that more gore is ok, but – and here’s the thing – where I have a problem with it is that it should be a small subset of the industry doing this, not the whole of mainstream gaming.

• Muzman says:

Yeah, I got nothing against gore and violence per se. More is sometimes easier to deal with than less. It’s just the requirement of it in just about every game that’s become very odd. Lara Croft doesn’t just sneak up on some unaware opponent and choke them or hit them over the head. She (the weepy, conflicted murderer) has got to hook them in the throat with a climbing axe and yank at it with both hands for a while while the guy gurgles and convulses, then finish him off with one to the face.
        A horror film like 28days Later saves the desperate eyeball gouging transformation to the end.

MajorManiac says:

That was the most Batman-like Splinter Cell trailer I’ve ever seen.

14. cunningmunki says:

Who’s the pregnant Gran?

• Dozer says:

Ah! That’s what the species is called. It’s been a while since I’ve paid much attention to Star Wars. What on earth does it have to do with Spl….

…the penny drops! The three eyes match the night vision system thing!