OOO YEAH: Ouya Hit TowerFall Coming To PC

By Nathan Grayson on July 19th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Or maybe they're all holding tiny little croissants

The Ouya has games! Some. More than one, I’m pretty sure. People have told me this, and I believe them because why would everyone be lying to me about everything in an attempt to hide the fact that my reality is a wilting cardboard construct and nobody loves me. So TowerFall. It’s apparently the mighty bow-and-arrow godking of Ouya mountain, what with its mix of hop ‘n’ bop brawling shenanigans, item-littered levels, and Robin-Hood-worthy pointy-stick-hurling antics. Unfortunately, it launched as an Ouya exclusive, and there was no hope for an unbearable not-even-a-month-long span. But now, developer Matt Thorson has announced that PC will soon join the fray – with “a ton” of new content, no less.

Thorson took aim with his gleaming bow (read: fingers) and launched a truly formidable word volley at Twitter (read: Twitter).

“Yes, I am working on TowerFall for PC. But it’s going to take a couple months. There’s going to be a ton of new content!”

New music and levels are definitely in, and a level editor is apparently at least a possibility. Personally, I’m also crossing my fingers for online multiplayer (currently it’s local-only), but only time will tell on that front. I mean, I’m all for local multiplayer (humans can be pretty cool sometimes assuming that, again, they’re not lying to me about every facet of my existence), but options are never a bad thing.

Regardless, this is exciting news! Now then, time to go pour acid in my ears until the distant, spring-rain-like echo of Macho Man Randy Savage screaming OOOOOO YEAAAAAAH subsides and I finally find peace.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Choca says:

Cool but pricing your multiplayer only indie game 15 bucks means that it probably won’t have much of a community and die down in barely a few weeks.

• jonbro says:

if it is anything like the ouya, it will be local multiplayer only, so community isn’t really the same issue… you just play it with your IRL friends.

• Caesar says:

This is another reason for low sales. I hope the price is right and it has online multiplayer. It’s sad to see Gun Monkeys doing so poorly because of price vs. content (1vs1 only) and would hate to see the Tower Fall to the same pit.

• Gnoupi says:

To be fair, I doubt it’s a matter of price vs content.

There are not many multiplayer-only indie games which manage to keep an active community after a month of two. Actually, “indie” doesn’t even matter. the same happens to a lot of AAA as well. If you are not one of the big players (Cod/CS/BF) or F2P, chances are you look at a dead community after 2-3 months in the best case.

In such context, honestly, I don’t really see the point to spend a long time refactoring your code for online multiplayer. You will probably spend more time implementing that than people will play it.

• Caesar says:

I didn’t buy Gun Monkeys because I felt it won’t entertain me long enough and it lacks gamemodes to justify the price. There are too many games that I play for 15 minutes and never touch again and I’d like to avoid that if possible. Also I think that Frozen Synapse and Hero Academy still have plenty of players even though those have been out for quite a long time so the content, quality and price obviously matters. Not to be disrespectful towards the makers but there are always alternatives for your game.

2. Dcode says:

Christ I hate this sites writing style. Yeah you cover all the corners of PC gaming (though most of the exclusives are shitty indie games designed to look like 80s console games) but you blab on for a paragraph about total bollocks before giving out any information about the game it is your covering. It makes scanning through articles incredibly frustrating.

Don’t worry I’m out of here..

• Caesar says:

Finally I don’t have to worry anymore.

• MOKKA says:

I’m sorry that this site does not seem to match your tase, may I reccomend one which might suit you better?

• Asurmen says:

And yet you took the time to join the site, added with the fact that the writing style (subjective: it adds personality rather than bland boring dry facts) has always been this way, and coupled with exaggeration seeing as the first sentence is completely relevant means I don’t have a clue what you’re whining about. Also, if you’re worrying about the first paragraph being bollocks, erm, in your attempt of scanning the article, skip the first paragraph? Just a thought.

• DiamondDog says:

I SAID I’M LEAVING!

• int says:

All articles should be as short as possible and entirely in Newspeak.

• bad guy says:

I had the exact same issue when I started reading RPS, but now it grew on me and I quite enjoy it, and get a snicker out of it here and there.

• ChrisAlgoo says:

By all means, let’s have zero-personality web sites that just regurgitate developer press releases. It’s not like you can get that at almost any other gaming site.

• Maxheadroom says:

I like the writing style here, I always found it reminiscent of Zero magazine in the early 90′s
      The Alan P Thorpe Radio Show & Black Shape sections seldom had anything to do with games but were always very funny (at least to teenage me),

Also if I remember correctly their short lived technical help section was called Speccy Tw@t

• Mitthrawn says:

I know I’m in the minority but I have to agree with this guy. I know it’s preferable to totally bland these-are-the-facts-and-only-the-facts articles, but at the same point sometimes it’s like, “GET TO THE FUCKING POINT ALREADY.”
      Some of the authors are more guilty than others at this, but some articles I just don’t read because the quantity of idle and inane thoughts is so high, and content incredibly low. I don’t care what kind of cereal you had for breakfast just TELL ME ABOUT NEW AND EXCITING THINGS IN GAMES.
      Just some honest feedback, take it or leave it.

• The Random One says:

Here are the new and exciting things in games:
        Nothing.
        Now let me tell you about my breakfast while you watch this Kickstarter video for a remake of a 1987 shmup.

• Phasma Felis says:

There are exactly four hundred and fifteen gazillion sites that deliver gaming news in dull soundbites, occasionally spiced with bottom-feeder humor. RPS is essentially the only one of note that delivers value-added delightfully British rambling and pontificating. If you don’t like it, fuck off to one of the aforemention 415Gz and let us have our fun.

3. Lemming says:

Don’t forget it has the whole back catalogue of SNES, Megadrive, NES, N64, Neo Geo, GBA, GB, Amiga and Master System games. That is, after all, the real reason anyone would own one.

• Runty McTall says:

Off topic I know but I got my Ouya about a week ago (missing the second controller and had to dig around quite hard on the site to find out why, which is appalling communication on their part) and my god is it a frustrating beast. Ship a damn working (i.e. network aware and copy and paste capable (!)) file explorer in your app store!!

Honestly, I was hugely excited by the potential of a full fat android platform attached to my tv in a form factor my wife wouldn’t hate and the first 4 or 5 hours with it were just utterly deflating and hugely frustrating.

Admittedly I finally managed to get Pilotwings working and the rage went away for a bit…

• Lemming says:

I didn’t realise there was a package released that had two controllers, I thought it was just the one?

Regardless, if you’ve got a wired ps3 or xbox360 controller lying around, they work straight away on the Ouya.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Don’t forget it has the whole back catalogue of SNES

This is the reason I don’t own a Wii. Being able to play Super Metroid and/or A Link to the Past probably wouldn’t end well for me these days now that I don’t have parents around to make sure I’m still doing things like eating & sleeping.

4. merteor says:

Thanks, Thorson.

Thorson.

5. Noburu says:

Ouya is nothing but a crappy name and too many idiots throwing money at a poorly delivered idea.

Buy an android on a stick and do everything it does plus more, for less money.

6. InternetBatman says:

I’m glad to see the local multiplayer gap on PC slowly filling in. Super Megabyte Punch is another excellent one: http://megabytepunch.reptile-games.com/

• jonbro says:

this looks really cool! wish the demo had the two player battle stuff, and ran with any framerate at all on my machine.

7. lilly_watson says:

my roomate’s step-aunt makes $61 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for five months but last month her paycheck was $20774 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site…..b­u­z­z­5­5.ℂ­ℴ­m

8. Phasma Felis says:

It fascinates me that both Ouya and the XBox One developers apparently took the same lesson from the Wii’s runaway success, namely “dumbest name wins the generation.”

Comment on this story