Shock: Battlefield 4′s Campaign Will Be About Things

By Nathan Grayson on July 19th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

STAND BACK, I AM GOING TO EMOTION

Battlefield 4 is a game about stuff. Mainly – as with every Battlefield – multiplayer’s the main event, but you wouldn’t know it based on EA’s marketing efforts. Campaign this, “real human story” that, the profound subtlety of giant explosions blah blah blah. There may not be any dogs (wait for the Canine Kill DLC, releasing exclusively on everything this fall), but it’s hard not to see Battlefield’s single-player as the little tin soldier that marches behind Call of Duty with saucer-eyes of admiration. This time, though? Well, at least some of Battlefield’s setpieces look bigger. But the story? Er, if you put it in a room with synopses of every other military shooter, I probably couldn’t tell the difference.

I can’t help but appreciate how most of the games manage to name you [EXTREMELY COMMON MALE FIRST NAME] [SOMETHING]er. These are men of action, after all. Even their names must poised – muscles coiled like snakes – to skip gleefully through the explosion fields and sustain bullet wounds that’d fell entire armies. So then, this is a story all about how Sergeant Daniel Recker’s got flip-turned upside-down went pretty much exactly how you expected it to:

“In Battlefield 4, you take on the role of Sergeant Daniel Recker, member of an elite group of soldiers known as Tombstone squad. While on a mission to collect intelligence from a defecting Russian General in Baku, Azerbaijan, your squad is discovered and you must fight your way through waves of Russian troops in order to escape. Upon getting back to the USS Valkyrie, a Wasp class carrier, the intelligence you’ve retrieved confirms previous suspicions. The Chinese Admiral Chang is planning a coup in China, and if this happens, the Russians would back him up.”

“With this intel secure, the USS Valkyrie sets a course for Shanghai. You and Tombstone squad are sent on a covert mission into the city to extract a group of VIP’s. China is in uproar after the U.S. has been implicated in the assassination of Jin Jié, the future leader and voice for peace in China. Admiral Chang has canceled elections and martial law has been declared. As U.S. and Russian naval forces position themselves off the coast of China, and the situation quickly escalates into a stare down akin to a tinderbox waiting for a spark.”

Then things blow up in Shanghai, then things blow up in Singapore, and so on and so forth. At some point, I am guessing you’ll get stabbed in the back by someone you trust. Or maybe not. Maybe you’ll get hugged in the back by someone you thought was an enemy. The possibilities are… well, mainly just those two.

It’s a military shooter campaign. Wheeeeeeeee. Your “elite group of unlikely heroes” (Why is it unlikely if they’re elite? Isn’t this sort of thing basically their purpose? I don’t get ittttttttt) will also include men with glistening forearms and names like Clayton “Pac” Pakowski and Kimble “Irish” Graves. You will fight alongside them and be BF4 BFFs and get sad when global warming makes cars fall on them.

There, I have told you about the story of a game in which story categorically does not matter. Can I have my gamz jearnlism trophy now?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MrThingy says:

From the screenshot, it’s nice to see Matt LeBlanc still getting work…

• -funkstar- says:

“How’ you doin’?”

“Bleeding to death, ta.”

(Sorry.)

• JamesTheNumberless says:

It’s like, you got so many lines to learn so fast, that sometimes you need a minute to remember your next one. So while you’re thinking of it, you take this big pause where you look all intense, you know, like this…

2. RedViv says:

Modern Military Shooter With Evil Russia – Now Available With 20% More Communists!

3. meloncrab says:

I first thought Clayton “Pac” Pakowski and Kimble “Irish” Graves were made up by Nathan, they seemed too cliche.

• JustAPigeon says:

Haha, I though they were a joke too. Even did a little chuckle. Incredible.

4. Tei says:

Cars is a movie about cars. Monsters is a movie about monsters. Bugs is a movie about bugs. Toy Story is a story about toys. Rescue the soldier Ryan is a movie (SPOILERS) about rescuing a soldier, that is named Ryan. And so on.

Never fight a land war in asia.

Internet experiments has show that a lot of people still play singleplayer and avoid multiplayer games. So maybe its good that BF have singleplayer. I think is more buyers to support this groupd of devs making a game I like.

Too bad this game will cost a outrageous high price. This will probably be the first BF that I skip at release.

• skyturnedred says:

*Saving Private Ryan

• DodgyG33za says:

And there I am skipping buying the next BF partly because they made me premium to avoid being a second class citizen queue-wise and partly because they ditched mod and private server support.

Thanks for giving me a convincing argument.

• Comrade Roe says:

You forgot how you have to pay 50 dollars to have a standard forum feature: the signature!

• PoulWrist says:

lol queues… who sits in a queue? You just go to another server.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Holy fuck your syntax is bad. I just got a headache trying to decipher what you said.

• Tei says:

i herd you’re idea’s and their definately right, sorry.

• F3ck says:

I dunno…there’s something poetic and oddly mellifluous about it.

Almost a Dr.Seuss kind of vibe.

• Davie says:

Speak for yourself. I love Tei’s sketchily-worded verbosity. His points are great, even if his grasp of the language is not.

• Nick says:

I wonder, how good is your syntax in Tei’s native language?

5. 2late2die says:

So Nathan, just to be clear – you are not a fan of the BF and COD series of shooters are you? I’m just not entirely sure I’m getting that from this post ;-)

• Leb says:

Possibly that they’re generally recognized for being MP man-shoots and having campaigns of no substance other than pretty explosions?

Doesn’t mean one is not a fan – liking Battlefield for it’s singleplayer is like enjoying the company of woman for her conversation (I don’t mean it don’t tell my wife)

6. Syklis says:

I just don’t get it, why does EA hype the singleplayer? Shouldn’t they focus on the multiplayer in their marketing efforts since that’s what people buy? Maybe drop the singleplayer altogether? Who would consider this a good marketing tactic and make journalists report on stuff no one is interested in?

Also, why does every game developer/publisher hope to beat Call of Duty by copying it? Isn’t the original better than a copy? (I’m looking at you, generic-shooter-that-had-to-include-multiplayer.)

• Nick says:

Hey, beating the top dog (latest CoD animal reference not intended) at their own game worked for all those post WoW MMOs…

• DiamondDog says:

It’s nonsensical, isn’t it? Especially as Titanfall and Destiny are now pushing towards multiplayer as the main event and folding the campaign into the online game.

But they seem to be fixed on ‘beating’ CoD.

• FriendlyFire says:

That’s EA right there: instead of looking for new opportunities, they’re laser-focused on trying to force their way into a market that’s already dominated by another company. They’re never at the forefront of something new, always trailing behind, because only what is proven to work should be even attempted.

It sucks, too, because they have some top-tier studios which are more than capable of doing something new, and doing it well. Imagine what BF3 and 4 could’ve looked like if DICE didn’t waste so long on the singleplayer, or what SimCity would’ve been without shoehorned online limitations?

• SuicideKing says:

Your first para could describe Microsoft with slight modifications.

EDIT: Actually, no, it couldn’t. M$ doesn’t have a clue what’ll work, even though it stares them in the face all the time.

• DiamondDog says:

Well that’s the kicker. DICE probably have the talent to push forward and take the BF games into new territory, but they’ve gone from being a step ahead in terms of their multiplayer focus, to just chasing something they can’t catch.

If Activision makes a hit out of Destiny, then EA are going to look like even bigger fools for wasting DICE on a CoD killer. Hell, DICE even had the jump on this whole theme with 2142 ready and waiting for a sequel. Maybe EA doesn’t want a clash with Titanfall?

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Which is why they are releasing Battlefront, obviously. The best way to avoid competing with a multiplayer sci-fi shooter is a multiplayer sci-fi shooter, though SWBF will most likely win.

• aldo_14 says:

If they wanted to advertise the MP, they’d have to play for ages until a helicopter crashed just in front of them (into a tank, and then the tank drove into a skyscraper and the skyscraper fell down onto a landing airplane, which spun out of control into an aircraft carrier which then sank).

Easier just to script it in single player.

• Syklis says:

Well, all the multiplayer trailers are acted out already, so that shouldn’t be too hard.

• morgofborg says:

My favorite moment, from having played a fair bit of every Battlefield, was in BF2 downing a jet with a tank by chance.

• FhnuZoag says:

I dunno, it seems to me quite likely that there’s a sizable proportion (perhaps even a majority) of Battlefield purchasers who buy it for the single player or co-op campaign and barely even touch the multiplayer, even if people like to think of it as a multiplayer game.

7. Nick says:

adding CoD-like singleplayer to the non Bad Company BF series is such a huge waste of time and money.

8. torchedEARTH says:

Why am I being sent to a foreign country to fight someone else’s war?

At least online I am killing people because they called me names and insulted my family members…while eating crisps and scratching themselves.

• bleeters says:

I imagine them doing basically that over and over again for the past seventy years has established something of a precident for writers to base their stories on.

9. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Admittedly my knowledge of US carrier doctrine is spotty*, but Azerbaijan’s coast is on the Caspian Sea, which is landlocked, and flying there from the Persian Gulf involves flying over Iran for about 700 miles. That puts the long-range Special Forces variant of the Osprey landing in Iran about a half way back and everyone walking home.

Or perhaps the Valkyrie is sitting twelve feet off the coast of Syria at the furthest point East in the Mediterranean, everyone still walks home but through Syria instead. “Setting a course for Shanghai” would then involve sailing the longest possible distance out of the Western end of the Mediterranean, then heading South to go around the small continent of Africa, passing through the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific oceans. You’d think they’d have another carrier closer to Shanghai rather than having to send a ship all that way.

I think I’m overthinking this.

*: Just playing with numbers from Wikipedia and Google Maps and applying shallow thought and lazy assumptions

• Misnomer says:

Which is why you would probably fly over Turkey and Armenia instead. Both are U.S. allies and Turkey is a NATO country. That gets you to the Med and you take the mini-carrier through the Suez (assuming you can get it through the Suez…probably the hardest part about this scenario. Otherwise they are on a nice long trip around the Cape of Good Hope).

The U.S. actually uses this as a supply corridor for Afghanistan http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/125745-azerbaijan-a-reliable-partner-in-a-turbulent-region

I agree the plot sounds a bit Tom Clancy-ish, but it is approaching feasible. Approaching being the operative word that requires the most suspension of disbelief.

• bill says:

Level 3: Blow the crap out of the Suez canal with tanks to make it wide enough for your carrier – only in the Frostbite engine!

• SuicideKing says:

RPS should send you to interview DICE on their behalf, should you consent, of course.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What does DICE stand for? Whose idea was it to include guns? Can I have a cup of tea? Will Soap McTavish ever return? How do you make the digital Russians so angry? Where are your biscuits? How do you get your Americans to sound so realistic? Did you know Azerbaijan is the name of a real country? You call this tea? Why are you calling security?

• TheMick says:

Meanwhile, behind a one way mirror at DICE HQ..

dev 1: Where did they get this guy?
          dev 2: They say he’s the best…
          Dev 1: He’s asking too many questions. And insulting our tea. We need him gone.
          Dev 2: we could always show him battle front, no one knows that’s just a mobile game yet. That could buy us some time…?
          Dev 1: I have something entirely different in mind for her majesty’s intrepid instigator… he’ll be spending a turn at our most hardened prison. Alert the warden at the Fjordview Wellness Institute. He’s about to receive a new guest of honor…

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Digital Illusions Computer Enertainment

That’s what they called themselves back when they made pinball games. Ahhh, the 90′s.

• Lorgath says:

Oh wow, really? I think I had some of those! I fondly remember sitting in a dark room listening to early radiohead albums over and over again playing pinball games, at least.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies. I played a lot of PF when I was wee.

EDIT: Well those links didn’t work well. You can google for pics yourself I guess.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

No tea for you C Sming! You must first rap for it.

• Stellar Duck says:

Didn’t they liberate the hell out of Iran in the last game though? With all the freedom I’m sure the Iranians agreed to a US base somewhere on pain of getting liberated some more.

10. Arithon says:

I despise this fish’s bicycle! A single player campaign in a multiplayer franchise is an unwelcome waste of resources.
    If they had to have this thing to tick some board-room monkey’s “compare with CoD” check-list, then for the sake of common sense make it DLC! That way, the few that want it can subsidise painfully long scripted movies with occasional shooting, if that’s what they really want.
    Then some money would be left over, to ship the game we all want to play, with a full set of multiplayer maps, so the gaming community isn’t fractured to hell by DLC map packs over the next year!

11. Utsunomiya says:

What are waves of Russian troops doing in Azerbaijan? Are they on vacation?
    And why is it basically just a slightly decorated CODMW2 plot?
    I am so confused.

12. Misnomer says:

Just stop covering these stories RPS. You clearly don’t like the genre and you don’t care to put any effort into reporting them. Just stop wasting your time and your community’s. It’s almost embarrassing.

• Syklis says:

They are fun to read, no matter how unimportant their subject might be. But yeah.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I love manshoots.

I also like to take the piss out of pretentious manshoots.

Hmm!

• Lordcrazy says:

@Jim: You should be careful, some people might start thinking you have plots behind your comments. *gasp*

• Misnomer says:

Pretentious meaning it takes itself seriously or tries to deal with the subject seriously?

While military shooters usually fail at this… I would like to see you take the piss out of Spec Ops: The Line and ArmA III as well then. I think they fit the definition of pretentious much better. The fans of the ArmA series hold themselves above everyone else because they have a simulator and that sandbox of military toys apparently makes them understand war far better than any other game… that is pretentious.

The BF series is sadly following COD a bit too much with this plot it sounds, but I thought that the last SP was actually closer to a traditional war movie type game than most of the recent CODs.

I miss those military SP campaigns where it seemed like the objective was to put you into a Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Platoon, Jarhead… war movie. Sadly the MOH:W campaign tried to do that and fell flat through its own patchwork of super soldier missions. The MOH 2010 campaign got to the war movie tone and style much better. BF3 had trouble finding the plot because it divided the narrative up so much between all these actors and had a lack of unity until the Russian bit nearer the end. That is the place where it shined as a war movie.

There is too much action movie in these war movie SP campaigns these days.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Hey look, despite the themes, playing games has nothing to do with being good at war. I don’t think too many Arma players think they are good at war, just Arma.

• Misnomer says:

Didn’t say they think they are good at war, just that they think they understand it better than someone who plays Battlefield or COD.

That is when something is pretentious…when it has an “unrealistic self-image” or pretends to be more important than it is.

For me, the Red Orchestra 2 commercials with the old man telling war stories based on playing the game were far more pretentious than this Tom Clancy like reveal.

• Muzman says:

This is that bit where the enourmously self serious Military Shooter Genre (I’m all for adopting the Yahtzee-ism Spunk Gargle Wee Wee myself) gets called a bit of an arch joke and just having a larf is it?
            Anything absurdly overwrought – overwought to the point of surely lacking any real self awareness – always has that one in their back pocket these days. Post Modernity is a drag.

If that is going to be pulled out though it’s basically accusing the people making them of the most crass mercenary (lol) cynicism and I’m not going to applaud that either. Give me pretentious any day of the week.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Personally I would take the piss out of Spec Ops, but I wasn’t the one writing about it on RPS. We let everyone have the freedom of their tastes etc. There is no editorial line, as much as people trying to imagine that there must be one. I routinely disagree with the others on stuff. I think multiplayer games are the best, for example, while John would rather set fire to his arms.

As for Arma III being pretentious, I think that’s a very different issue you are getting at. Elitist and over-ambitious, perhaps, but it’s not talking bullshit in the same way that the military-driven shooters are,

• Misnomer says:

ArmA isn’t a military driven shooter?

Or it just doesn’t have singleplayer campaign with a driven liner plot? That seems to be the distinction. In which case you just don’t like that genre of games. If you can’t find someone who does, I am not really sure it is worth reporting on (much like how RPS doesn’t review Facebook games unless they are tied to some other game they report on).

Otherwise you are using mouthpiece that is RPS, reaching many many page viewers, to slag something for the sake of slagging it. That is a bit Fox Newsy.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“In which case you just don’t like that genre of games.”

But I just said I did like them… I’m confused.

• Imbecile says:

This is going to be a bit controversial misnomer, but its pretty easy to mock the stories of manshoots while enjoying the gameplay. Same for all sorts of stuff. F’r example I’d rate the texture of nutty chocolate a meagre 3/10, but I’d give the taste a mighty 9/10.

• Misnomer says:

Seems like the argument here is that “for the lulz” is a good enough reason if its just a blog. I will stick by my analogy to Facebook games. Jim could really like certain Facebook games, but he doesn’t lampoon every one of them here every time they do something.

It is about having a canned reaction for an entire category of games. If you enjoy them, why is the assessment of every one of them they same? It is like you are reviewing every new item on the McDonald’s menu because you secretly enjoy them, but feel the need to make comments about how crap they are to hide your shame.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

And I love reading it.

• Ham Solo says:

What genre would that be?
      “Brown anti russian cinematic rail shooter with blood in the eyes if hit”?

• Misnomer says:

BF3 was quite pro-Russian by the time you got to the end. This one is sounding more anti-Chinese if you absolutely need your game to be anti-something.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

That definition would also preclude all of the Brown Cinematic Rail Shooter With Blood In The Eyes If Hit games that are Anti-Indeterminate Middle Easterner. I’d say Brown Cinematic Rail Shooter With Blood In The Eyes If Hit should be your genre, then separate into sub-genre based on stereotyped and poorly characterized opponent.

• TaylanK says:

Here, here, let me explain:

1) The strength of BF games has always been about the multiplayer.
      2) Singleplayer in the last BF was bolted on, most likely because some marketing exec forgot the meaning of the word ‘differentiation’, resulting in yet another on-rails shooter.
      3) This didn’t look like such a great idea when the original Big-Spectacle-Rails-Style-Shooter CoD itself is getting stale.
      4) Add to that the recent interview with Titanfall devs, where the guy said that silly 2-3 hour single player experience with its elaborate sets and pieces bloats the development cost to twice as much what it would be if it were multiplayer only, if not more.
      5) You end up with MP manshoot gamers wondering what could have been if all that development muscle was focused on the game’s actual strengths.

I am also noticing this “love it or leave it be” kind of reaction more and more often around here so let me add this: fair criticism doesn’t mean you hate a genre. You can still criticize something you love.
      So there.

• Misnomer says:

It isn’t about them loving it. It is about caring enough to do actual reporting. Currently when either a COD or BF news item pops up, RPS seems to clamor for the snark before even reading it. I mean read the post again and think: Could this have been written without the news item at all? (other than the mention of two character names)

That is why I don’t think they should bother covering it. If they can’t even be bothered to deal with the subject matter, then why bother actually posting about it? Seems like it is only done for the snark.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Don’t be silly. We’ll always be snarky, that’s what our corporate overlords pay us for, right?

• darkChozo says:

I can’t really see how you’d cover this particular bit of news with anything but snark, even if you’re pro-MMS. It’s their big first story reveal, and it reads like a list of every bad cliche from WhatSomePartsOfTheInternetThinksCallOfDuty’sPlotIs.

• SuicideKing says:

I have fun reading them, really. And honestly, free media in a true democracy has a duty and responsibility to call out BS and demand better.

Now don’t tell me that this isn’t about democracy, because i meant it terms of media.

I write a tech column for a newspaper, companies must hate me, simply because i don’t sugar coat stuff. If i think something’s shit i say “hey, it’s shit, and here’s why”.

I remember having an argument with Acer’s PR because i didn’t call their “ultrabook” an “ultrabook” as often as they liked, simply kept calling it a notebook/thin-and-light/etc, because that’s what it was.

EA PR people obviously read gaming sites, and if they think they’re getting enough negative press, they’ll switch gears. Look at the Xbone fiasco for example.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This is how I think of the snarky posts. Who doesn’t want a good game? But when the whole genre keeps retreading the same stuff it gets really boring and time to complain. Maybe if it’s loud enough we’ll get better games? (probably not)

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah after all it’s money that talks to corps. like EA and Microshit.

13. Sulaco says:

Why don’t they just shut up and do a fully co-op campaign story already. Nobody cares about this single player shit. Battlefield’s most popular feature is the multiplayer. Put that in the single player campaign and it might actually be fun this time.

I’ve still never completed the BF3 single player. Finished the jet mission and couldn’t bring myself to start playing the next mission.

• DodgyG33za says:

Same here. But I loved spinning up the BF2 single player with bots when I was bored but not up for a multi-player man-fest. It was also good fun in LAN games with mates. BF3, just not as much fun,despite the eye and ear candy.

• Lusketrollet says:

Fuck the ridiculous Campaign and instead focus that effort on giving us good, polished bot-support.

That will keep us singleplayers happy.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Yes. I actually quite enjoyed the coop missions in bf3. They where so few though.

14. Lordcrazy says:

Welcome to another installment of Whose Story is it Anyways, where stories do not matter.

15. Gap Gen says:

I hope for at least 25% more rats to stab.

16. Tayh says:

I have a theory:
    1. Dice/EA voted for Romney
    2. Romney claimed that “Russia is Public Enemy No. 1″(http://rt.com/news/romney-russia-enemy-obama-532/)
    3. ???
    4.Russia reprises their role as Cold War Era-style antagonists in Battlefield 4.

• Joshua says:

I am quite sure that Russia is the enemy in BF3 because they have the coolest guns and tanks.

17. zachforrest says:

I think this could be more interesting than it appears. The buff man-shooter guy has the tiny face of a weasel. How’d that happen eh? Bet that’s a story and a half.

18. Lordcrazy says:

All I ever wanted from a Battlefield games’s singleplayer (Other than the Bad Company series) was to play against the AI. That was all that was needed for a singleplayer mode, not a pathetic campaign.

• skyturnedred says:

They would have to create an actual AI instead of scripted scenes. Too much work.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

perhaps if they’d allow modding….

• SIDD says:

You, Sir, are a free thinking anarchist.
          Kindly take your anti-capitalistic ideas outside before EA have your filthy mouth scrubbed with soap.

• Lordcrazy says:

And to think we used to allow HIS KIND on our games, how dare he take advantage of our good natured and not even the least bit greedy minds….

• Comrade Roe says:

If people bought DLCs before when there were mods available, why are EA banning people for making mods now?

19. Maxheadroom says:

If it wasnt for the actual marketing blerb being in that grey box I honestly would have thought Nathan had written the whole thing it’s so comically generic.

“member of an elite group soldiers”
    “you must fight your way through waves of Russian troops”

All thats missing is “The fate of the entire world rests in your hands!”

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

“…But in your midst is a deadly traitor!”
      “…The clock is ticking!”
      “…Is paired with a spunky girl sidekick!”
      “…And highjinks ensue!”
      “…But can he conquer the most dangerous battlefield of all: Fatherhood?”

• DiamondDog says:

Don’t be silly, they’d never have a girl in one these games. How do you expect them to be taken seriously?

• darkChozo says:

My hope is that those are actual waves of Russian troops and this is the long awaited sequel to Wave Race 64.

20. aergistal says:

I don’t know about you and the tons of CODs and BFs out there but I would totally dig a tactical FPS-ish Commandos/Hidden & Dangerous-like featuring a single-player / co-op campaign. The “going against all odds” narrative would be enough.

21. Beernut says:

At the moment I’m not particularly inclined to fight as an American in any game, ist there a Russion campaign available?

• Comrade Roe says:

Based on every past Battlefield game with a cinematic campaign (so not Battlefield 1942′s, which let you go as Axis), I’d guess we’re not getting to choose who we wanna fight for. Maybe DICE supports conscription?

22. Lawful Evil says:

23. SuicideKing says:

Lmao this is just like MW2, America gets blamed for the Airport massacare.

Lame attempts to justify US vs Russia.

Will they ever make US vs Cuba? Nope.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

US vs. EU. That’s the thing we both are itching for.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Not that realism is a thing here at all, but the EU is not a state and doesn’t have a military. And a big handful of european countries are NATO members.

• Stellar Duck says:

USA vs. a EU NATO member or two would make for an interesting story though. Political clusterfuck going on while you’re fighting in Europe for a change.

• SuicideKing says:

Actually, i can vote for this. World War II in reverse, Europe and Japan vs US.

Fuck that, i want to play as the Swiss Army XD

24. golem09 says:

4bf = ( Dead Wives x (Dead Teammates / Dead Minions) )^Interesting Storylines

25. Lusketrollet says:

I hate how developers of wannabee-authentic military shooters seem to think they can call any random collection of soldiers a “Squad”.

26. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Two things:

There are dogs in BF4, they were there right at the beginning of the Fishing in Baku trailer. Irish shot them.

DANIEL RECKER, while not as reckless as we would like him to be, has a last name comically similar to the Swedish word räcker, which means “is enough”. Stupidly apt.

27. lilly_watson says:

my roomate’s step-aunt makes $61 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for five months but last month her paycheck was $20774 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site…..b­u­z­z­5­5.ℂ­ℴ­m

28. Iskariot says:

I feel a campaign about ‘things’ is exactly what this game needs.
    I hope it lasts longer than a measly 4 to 8 hours, otherwise I will ignore it… again..

29. The Random One says:

“I can’t help but appreciate how most of the games manage to name you [EXTREMELY COMMON MALE FIRST NAME] [SOMETHING]er.”

John Walker?

• phelix says:

What if your first name was Achmed? Extremely common in North Africa and the Middle East.

30. Stephen Roberts says:

The last line got me thinking: “…The story of a game in which story categorically does not matter…”

Funnily enough, I feel the same way about Left for Dead 2. Here’s the story: Zombies. Then Valve decided to uncomfortably add character to the characters you play. Heck, even the levels are singular ‘Movies’ (along with film poster branding). Problem is, I don’t want the character I’m playing to have any other character than mine. I’ve always found it horribly immersion breaking, to the point where L4D is a great game and I’ve barely touched it. You can get interrupted by the dialogue in the game like a schizophrenic having the same idea in two personalities. The Multiplayer clashed with the genuinely great characters that they had written. And it wasn’t a different mode you could play. I felt that it was unnecessary single player story telling pasted over the top of a multiplayer.

I think I’m on my own about this though. But it’s still something to think about.

• tormos says:

you… listen to the characters talking in l4d2? To the point that it upsets you somehow? I’ve played a fair amount (~50 hrs) of the game and couldn’t tell you the first thing about any of the characters. It’s perfectly possible to just ignore them, innit? (And if you do it’s an ace game)

31. GameDreamer says:

Hello, I have just gained my Battlefield 4 Beta Code and it’s amazing.

Click here to gain yours: Buy Battlefield 4