A-Mused: Make Collaborative Music With Muse

By Cara Ellison on July 22nd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

A-Muse-ing jellyfish
Good morning RPS! We found something beautiful, intimate and personal you can do with friends, and it has nothing to do with naughty bits: it’s Current Circus’ new game Muse, an exploration game with procedural audio generation. You begin the game as a spirit traversing an environment full of neon anemones, floating jellyfish, glowing coral, and as you inspire musical creatures they begin to build your composition. You can then modify and visualise your personal song by discovering features throughout the world. Have a look at the video: it’s just what everyone needs on a Monday morning.

Just finishing up at PAX Australia, the team at Current Circus showed Muse at three days of play sessions, and although it is still a work in progress it looks like it’s in good hands. Within the game you can play as an adventurer, a musician or both, and you don’t need any musical ability to be able to collaborate on a musical experience. It is built so that expressive movement is enough to create the sounds you want. One of the most lovely things about this game is that it seems like playing together is at its core: creating a relaxing, interesting audio experience that can be organically changed and adapted by the people who collaborate. Compositions can be tweaked and remixed by interaction with ‘Wonders’, entities that can change the music in unique ways.

Current Circus say the game will be built in collaboration with its community. It also has multi-screen support and will be released late Q3 on PC, with later platforms planned. You can find out more about Current Circus here and Muse here.

It’s good to be back on news for a while, RPS! I wonder if Current Circus will consider putting in some Blackout-era Britney? It’s been a while… and I bet those anemones are just dying for some trash-pop.

(I am so glad I am not on Current Circus’ development team, and so are they, frankly. Anyway, hello team. I missed you.)

, , .

1. Ross Angus says:

Thanks, Ms. C. This looks quite lovely. But where is the Rachmaninov pastiche?

2. povu says:

Matthew Bellamy: The game. No? Oh.

• Ultra Superior says:

A voice of an angel has his own game ? Mamamamamadness!

• GameCat says:

I would just feel good and then blackout from bliss if that kind of game would exist. But I’m ashamed that it won’t, because some citizens would start an uprising, because they would be forced in to play this nishe game. And some people with megalomania would say that this game would be overdue, because Muse is so last year. Also I don’t think we realy need this game. Better listen to hyper music than endlessly play game about musical assassin.

Damn, it’s not so easily to born new puns every sentence. Now I have recess in my mind and time is running out so I would just stop this (not)unintended pun thread and go to the gallery or museum. I hope I will have some light to guide me there.

Man, that was bad.

• Ultra Superior says:

YOUR ENDLESS PUN-SUPREMACY IS UNSUSTAINABLE! IT GIVES ME A SUPERMASSIVE DEMENTIA, MELTING MY MIND INTO LIQUID STATE OF ALL-CAPS HYSTERIA! IN YOUR WORLD, THERE’S A HURRICANE OF APOCALYPSE, PLEASE! SAVE ME!

I TAKE A BOW.

3. GamesInquirer says:

This seems neat but while almost everything else seems organic and beautiful the flock seems quite artificial most of the time and doesn’t blend in well with the rest of the game’s visuals in my opinion.

4. Cunning Linguist says:

“you don’t need any musical ability to be able to collaborate on a musical experience” … yeah, right.
    I think I have heard this before and the results invariably stretched the definition of “musical” …

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Simplified stuff has been around for a while that allows people to sort of jam together without much musical knowledge. Everything is stuck in a certain key and bad rhythm is corrected. It doesn’t sound experimental, just generic.

5. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Lovely, indeed. A shame the music is a bit.. disappointing.

• TheMick says:

Kind of agree, but that seemed like a painfully thin slice to show us, I’m hopeful I can create my own poor man’s daft punk through the magical art of swimming.

6. JuJuCam says:

Spent a good few minutes absolutely mesmerised by this at PAXAus. Didn’t play myself because boundless exploration without any objectives at all doesn’t interest me, but my oh my was it ever so lovely on their setup.

7. nindustrial says:

Looks very interesting, but I’d most like to know how the collaboration bit is intended to work (and whether there’s much to it). I can think of at least one friend this could be very interesting to play with.

8. cloudnein says:

Complete ripoff of Melodive.

9. crinkles esq. says:

Terrible trailer in that I don’t even know if the music in the trailer was trailer music or in-game music. I hope not, because that’s not my kind of soundtrack to the sea. There’s so many music games out there, they really need to show the gameplay up front to show how it differentiates itself from the rest of the pack.