Fissure Surprise: Space Shock

By Cara Ellison on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

SPACE: THE FINAL DUNGEON FRONTIER
Space Shock is an RPG game set in Space,” the description on Greenlight goes. Well, you can never have too much space. Unless you are Ikea, in which case you are actively looking for ways to use the small amounts of space people have been lumbered with to cram in balsawood fixtures with weird Scandinavian names like SOKERKAKA and DRÖMMAR and BILDUNGSROMAN. In any case, do you like turn-based dungeon crawlers? AND space? Would you like a SPACE dungeon crawler? Well this is for you. It even has spider-aliens! You can relive the end of Wild Wild West! What are you doing in Ikea! Get out of Ikea!

There are five unique classes you can play as:

Soldier (Tank/physical damage dealer)
Adept (Supporter/Healer/PSI damage dealer)
Engineer (Tech specialist/explosions specialist/disabler)
Sentinel (PSI damage dealer)
Mercenary (Physical damage dealer/Assassin)

Specializations for each class:
Soldier (Bodyguard, Gunner, Marine)
Adept (Medic, Restorer, Guardian)
Engineer (Sapper, Constructor, Electrician)
Sentinel (Scientist, Elementalist, Conjurer)
Mercenary (Sniper, Assassin, Hunter)

And “deadly enemies both robotic (robots, mechs, droids, sentry turrets…) and
organic (aliens, mutants, humanoids…)”.

Developed by Ideas Unbound Studio, this game is on Greenlight, and will be Kickstarted in the near future [edit! Is already being Kickstarted, which you can donate to here. Thanks!].

Weirdly, there are some people in the comments that are concerned with the marine battle armour looking too Master Chiefy. People can be so picky these days. What if the Master Chief has perfected Space Armour and has now retired onto some distant planet, where he makes space armour to sell to passing mercenaries, whilst tending a small intimate bar in the evenings, where he tells old war stories, has Tom Waits’ Jockey Full of Bourbon on the juke, and reminisces about that one time where he beat Cortana at Scrabble? I digress…

, , .

1. SominiTheCommenter says:

Mercenary? Mass Effect calls it Infiltrator, it’s the only different class.

2. Jeremy says:

Chances I thought I would ever see the word “Bildungsroman” in a RPS article: 0%

c-Row says:

I don’t think I ever heard it spoken by anybody, and I am German.

• Jeremy says:

Haha, yeah, it’s not the most common word. I actually heard it first in relation to the coming of age movies that have been flooding the US cinemas recently.

• Triplanetary says:

Which is weird, since a “Roman” is a novel, but *shrug*

• alm says:

I saw this comment before reading the article. I am now disappointed that the violent space RPG game is not about this and the comment is instead used for an ikea joke :(

• Supahewok says:

I’m disappointed that “Bildungsroman” wasn’t a bad pun about building… Roman things, I guess, like I thought it was.

3. BurningPet says:

Still waiting for a “Morrowind in space”.

4. nimzy says:

Turn based Ikea crawler

5. zibob says:

Bildungsroman isn’t Scandinavian, it’s German.

• The Random One says:

Maybe it’s a loanword?

• Sakkura says:

It’s translated into the Scandinavian languages, not just copied over. Bildningsroman in Swedish, dannelsesroman in Danish and Norwegian.

Yeah, Scandinavians get a bit miffed when people get us or our languages mixed up with German(s).

tengblad says:

Cara, your grasp of Swedish is surprisingly good! How on earth did you manage to do an ‘Ö’ with one of your weird UK layout keyboards?

Rikard Peterson says:

Sockerkaka? Is there really a piece of IKEA furniture named Spunge Cake? (I don’t know why I’m surprised. I shouldn’t be.)

tengblad says:

You know, I haven’t been to IKEA in ages but it wouldn’t surprise me. They’re bound to run out of names at some point.

c-Row says:

They are selling a product named Poäng which is a (polite) homophone for “tight ass” in German. Which isn’t too far off, given that it’s actually a chair.

• Don Reba says:

Ways to get an Ö on a UK keyboard:
      • copy-paste
      • Alt-0214
      • Run charmap
      • shapecatcher.com
      • <c-k>O: in Vim

Personally, I am imagining Cara as an avid Vim user.

• belgand says:

In my fantasies she uses Sublime Text… and occasionally is a dirty girl who likes Emacs. Oh yeah, use three meta keys at once.

7. povu says:

Legend of System Shock.

• Darloth says:

Legend of Grimrocket.

I will be very surprised (and glad!) if it manages to be as good as Captive though, that’s still a) an amazing game, and b) my yardstick for all sci-fi dungeon crawlers, and to an extent all of this sort of game.

Very pretty spider robots though.

8. GamesInquirer says:

The kickstarter was already live.

I’m not sure I get this change. Previously it looked like a sci-fi Legend of Grimrock (alright, a sci-fi dungeon crawler, but Grimrock is the only one with comparably modern visuals, that’s why the mind wanders there). This change to the combat system means there’s a potentially visually and also mechanically jarring transition from exploration to combat and back. I do prefer turns but I’d like the first person view, like for example in the Wizardry games. Of course their combat system would have to be different, yet what they did required even more changes already. Still, if they must use this combat system then I’d prefer the exploration view to be isometric. Oh well. This looks well produced.

differenceengine says:

With luck somewhere between System Shock and Hired Guns. Does anyone else have the same warm feeling I do whist typing this? Just off to check my underwear, just in case.

10. sinister agent says:

Hurrah, another “Space X” game! Now there are more indistinguishable game names than ever!

• MOKKA says:

Friends recently prohibited me from buying any games which either have the words ‘Space’ or ‘Galaxy’ in their titles. Fortunately this only applies to boardgames.

• Chris D says:

No Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker? These people are not your friends :(

• MOKKA says:

No no no, they prohibiedt me from buying any more games with those words, because Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker are 2 of the 4 ‘bigger’ Boardgames I own. I also own Cosmic Encounter, Escape from the Aliens in outer Space, as well as the Resistance and Netrunner. I also want to buy Space Cadets.

You see they are actually good friends, because they want me to diversify my Boardgame Collection.

• Lorgath says:

That’s alright, just get Twilight Imperium (if you havn’t already). Hah, screw you, friends.

• Triplanetary says:

When I saw this post, I thought I had gone back in time and was reading a preview of Space Siege.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

Until your comment, I didn’t realize this wasn’t the same game, just still being worked on.

11. Lemming says:

I like the look of it, but I’m not thrilled they cynically tried to jump on the ‘shock’ brand with the title, which is what it appears they are doing.

steves says:

That is the reason I opened this, so an effective tactic!

Although the ‘shock’ brand (minus ‘system’) isn’t worth much to me of late, I was hoping this would be an old-school throwback.

Which it obviously is, but not in the way I was expecting.

Still, Dungeon Master/Grimrock (+a bit XCOM?) in SPACE is a good thing. Still not sure how the 3rd/1st person perspective thing works, but hey, one to watch.

Can’t really see something like this, being made by an unknown getting 150k though.

• Lemming says:

“Dungeon Master/Grimrock (+a bit XCOM?) in SPACE”

There is precedent for this sort of thing. Space Hulk, Hired Guns…

I’m not rapping your knuckles or anything, I’m just wondering if you knew of them :)

12. Arehandoro says:

Character’s armor is pretty much the same than in Halo. I like the idea of the game but everything looks too generic to stand out. Imho.

daphne says:

Reminds me of Incubation, for some reason.

14. crinkles esq. says:

The first trailer is 3rd person with generic Master Chief armor, which doesn’t feel very RPG because you’re controlling faceless space marines, and I don’t see many RPG elements aside from “turn-based combat”. At least get rid of the helmets. But then the second trailer is first-person, so I’m confused as to which it is?

I would much more prefer something like a reboot of Operation Thunderbolt, the Mac sci-fi roguelike which had a lot more personality.

From the KS…
    Q: “What do I get with the base game?”
    A: “Do not worry what you get with Base game.”

You’re right, this is not the space RPG I am looking for.

• mwoody says:

The English is indeed poorly translated, but it seems they’re trying to express that the base game is good without stretch goals.

I was excited that this might be a roguelike at first, but it seems like it leans more towards Grimrock. Will probably skip this one.

c-Row says:

As far as I understand it switches from first person to a tactical view during combat. I would have preferred them sticking to the former.

15. Sandepande says:

Grimrock in space? I’ll bite.

c-Row says:

Funny enough I was throwing a similar idea around recently over at GameDev… guess both ideas are still far enough apart from each other to warrant a separate game.

17. fish99 says:

I’m always interested to see Hired Guns getting a mention anywhere. To me that was the pinnacle of the Dungeon Master style game – great environments to explore and tons of atmosphere and it showed you can have a block based sci-fi shooter. You could even play it co-op (2 characters each). I keep getting the urge to buy an Amiga to replay it (I’ve never been able to get sound working in the PC DOS version, plus the Amiga version was superior).

• Werthead says:

“I don’t get why they’ve changed the combat to turn based isometric. To me the 2nd video looks like a game I want to play (1st person, real-time combat), and the first doesn’t.”

I’d guess they were going for an SF LEGEND OF GRIMROCK, saw how many copies GRIMROCK sold versus how many XCOM sold, and thought that making it XCOM IN SPACE might sell a few more copies.

They’re probably right. The newer trailer appealed to me more than the old one. Though I do wonder if it might be a bit too similar to the new SPACE HULK game.

18. Iskariot says:

Per definition every game is set in space. ;)
    This game seems to be set in corridors mostly.
    And it looks not very interesting.