Shambling Man: The Walking Dead Season Two

By Adam Smith on July 22nd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Comic-Con has probably created lots of news but, until this morning, the only information that had lodged in my brain was the announcement of some sort of Superman vs Batman film. I haven’t seen Man of Steel because my brain tries to run away from Zack Snyder films, leaving it shuddering and heaving against the back of my skull if one of those films happens to be in front of me. Actually, I quite liked his Dawn of the Dead and didn’t suffer any nosebleeds at all when I saw it. Forget about me being snidey about Snyder though – more news from Comic-Con! This time about The Walking Dead Season Two. If you don’t want any spoilers at all, don’t look below.

Game Informer are the chaps in the know and bring confirmation that Clementine will be returning, although whether she’ll be a main character or not isn’t clear. Enigmatically, they also report that Kenny’s fate will be revealed. I thought he got angry, then sad, then eaten but clearly I am missing some nuance. Maybe he’ll show up as a walker and Clem will have to stab him to second-death with the sharp end of a cornflake.

Telltale also advise everyone to keep their saved game files, including the one from mini-episode 400 Days. Considering the game lost my save file between episode one and two, I’m not entirely hopeful that transferring information between seasons will go without a hitch. I haven’t played 400 Days yet but Telltale reckons that at least some of the decisions made there will have an impact on season two. Sounds to me like some of the characters in those standalone storylines might make an appearance.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. sith1144 says:

Ive played trough ep 1 thrice, always lost my save going to ep2, sort of glad to see im not the only one having that problem.

2. Viroso says:

It’d kick all the asses if it returned to an older Clementine as the main character, and the decisions available to the player would be based on how her personality was shaped during her time with Lee.

But I don’t think it’ll happen, that’d require the game to move in time ahead of the comic books, and how the world evolves is an important part of the story for Kirkman, so I doubt he’d just let Telltale do that.

• The Random One says:

I heartily agree on both counts.

• Zikron says:

Considering that the 400 Days DLC takes place 400 days after the outbreak and that the saves from this will be tied into season 2 I think you can expect to see Clementine about a year older. Season 1’s story started at the outbreak, although I’m not sure where it ended.

You can’t let too much time pass because the mortality rate has got to be very high and therefore you can’t expect everyone in a group to survive for very long.

• WrenBoy says:

Given that they were unable to keep track of even the extremely limited choices you had in season one, I wouldnt bet the house on that working well.

3. Pnikosis says:

I loved Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead, and I am one of the three people that loved Watchmen.

About WD’s Season 2, I really HOPE to see Clementine and have the chance to save her… I felt like a horrible person after the Season 1’s ending, leaving her alone… oh god, here it comes, I’m getting depressed again.

WARNING: Don’t play this game if you have kids. OK, play it, but you will feel miserable.

golem09 says:

Yes, I did feel miserable playing it. After episode 1 I had to drop it because of unbearable characters, dialogue and events.

• Brigand says:

Everyone I know who has seen Watchmen loves it. I tend to stay away from film reviews and strangers so I never knew the general consensus was one of dislike.

4. Rosveen says:

In my game Kenny was swarmed by zombies and had only one bullet, there’s no way he could have survived. In fact, Chuck had better chances than Kenny, but we know he’s dead. I wonder how they’re going to solve it. Make him a walker?

DrScuttles says:

No, please continue to be snidey about Snyder. The guy’s a Shitty Midas as far as I’m concerned, whose entire approach to directing is as depressingly surface as throw in what looks cool. Man Of Steel was… dour, grey, overlong, ridiculous and unengaging. Costner was the only part of the film that shone through, in spite of the atrocious dialogue he had to wrestle with. And the arduous climactic fight lasted so long I felt that I had significantly grown as a person during it.

But I’m in danger of being overly negative and this is a PC game website not Rock Angry Ranty Paper Summer Blockbuster Fatiguegun.
    So. Walking Dead. Loved Season 1. Really, really want Season 2.

6. Nick says:

I really don’t understand how people can like Snyder’s Dawn =(

• Adam Smith says:

I don’t understand how I liked it either – only seen it once at release so my opinion may change if I watch again. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

• jonahcutter says:

I thought the opening and ending acts were excellent. Portraying very well the world rapidly sliding sideways into apocalypse, and how chaotic and bleak it would likely be.

The middle “character development” act was all pretty average. Well performed though, even given the material was pretty shallow.

• Skull says:

Was a laugh but had nothing on the original.

RedViv says:

Ah, the works of the great Snyder. The running theme being, quite funnily, a misunderstanding of or lacking themes at all.

ANYWAY I can’t imagine how season 2 might be even more emotionally involving, so I’ll only hope it’s as good.

8. aepervius says:

I have tried the game but it stutters, and don’t work well. My PC does work well on modern title. What the walking dead shows should not be a problem… but it is.
    /sigh
    I wish there would be a work around.

• requisite0 says:

Set the game’s CPU affinity to every core except core #0. This is what fixed the stuttering for me.

• Cleave says:

I had the same but 400 days was fine so it looks like they’ve fixed it. I haven’t gone back to the original episodes to see if they’re fixed but it looks like I’m going to have to replay it before season 2 anyway.

I’ll try that if it isn’t requisite, cheers

• ElectricBanjo says:

If you have an AMD card, then set shadows to “Off” (This won’t disable shadows on environments, just characters). This fixed the stuttering 100% for me. Requisite0’s suggestion has also worked for many.

9. Cleave says:

I was glad to see on loading 400 days that my save was gone. Thanks steam cloud!

• Zorn says:

if man is 5
      then the devil is 6
      then god is 7
      this steam save’s gone to heaven

10. Zorn says:

I played through the game 2 times, or even 3 times? And I have no saves to show for it.
    I don’t know if I have another play-through in me. Just to remember, in the days of yore my
    saves were one my primary backups, over how many years I brought my Baldur’s Gate
    saves from that first 1500mb hard disk, while there was still a C-64 save of the tape
    version of Vermeer somewhere flying around. And today? Nothing! Everything
    was better then. You could throw game disks at the wall, yelling you hate em,
    say sorry the next day, and play them again. And repeat…

11. db1331 says:

I’m currently playing through the game a second time. Since completing it the first time, I have been blessed enough to become a father. I didn’t come anywhere close to tears my entire first time through TWD. Not even at the finale. I just played Ch. 3 the other day, while my son slept in my arms. It hit me right in the parent. I put the game down for a bit and just enjoyed holding him.

12. RIDEBIRD says:

If they have any smarts what so ever they will include some sort of save game generator where you can put in your choices for the second season.

I tried to get my save for 400 days. Nope, Nothing. I forgot that I had disabled Steam Cloud in S1 after the first episode since there was a bug that could cause your saves to corrupt themselves and Telltale actually recommend that you disable cloudsaves. I have since formatted and I forgot to back it up.

With all the save issues that plagued the first season, they have to both fix them and also include a way to get around the fact that most people probably do not have their saves.

Harlander says:

This is the most important thing there is to say about TWD (for those of us that’ve already finished it, anyhow) in my opinion

13. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Manos: The Hands of Steel is not without its issues but is actually pretty darn good if you know what you’re getting into before you go into it. I say this as someone who went in cold-turkey for the first viewing and hated it, but thoroughly enjoyed it on a second go after some discussion of the film’s less obvious content and context.

I *believe* most of the negative press has come from people having very clear images in their mind of what a Superman film is “Supposed To Be” and this film not being that in spite of its successes, but then I certainly can’t account for everyone.

Unfortunately a proper review would be lengthy, and this is neither the time nor place for it. That said, I will follow DrScuttles’ lead (though on the opposite side of the fence) and quit while I’m ahead. (After all Adam, you’re probably not going to read this anyway! :p )

• G_Man_007 says:

Nice reference to Manos: The Hands of Fate fellow Mistie. I liked Man of Steel though…

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

*Tips hat graciously* :)

I was sure If I got a reply it would be a personal attack for my liking Man of Steel. Instead, you’ve not only agreed, you caught my reference as well!
        Hurrah! :D

(I actually kind of loved Man of Steel but calling it “Manos” amuses me too much not to, lol.)

14. Trivlari says:

*Spoilers*Well Kenny may have Survived.If you choose to save Ben at the end of Episode 4,halfway through Episode 5 you’ll see Kenny fighting off Walkers and Putting Ben out of his Misery.
    After that you hear grunts that are Kenny’s and see a lot of zombies crowded up eating something.
    Ordinarily in that Death Alley,Kenny would have no chance but you can see a window right behind Kenny if you chose to stay with Kenny (Which results in him locking you behind the gate as you watch the Walkers close in on him).
    So the Window might have been Kenny’s escape route.
    However if you do the opposite choice (Drop Ben)Kenny will be seen going down into the building to help Christa get back up.Kenny also has to fight off walkers in the building,so there is the same chance of Death as there was with the previous choice.
    Unlike in the Alley,we (The Player) couldn’t get a good look at the room due to it being in the dark,so the amount of Walkers is unknown.
    Alive,Dead,Or Both,Kenny will most likely be seen again.

15. LittleBear says:

What does Zach Snyder have to do with the Walking Dead game?

Is this an article about PC gaming news or is it just your personal blog?