Furry Zombie: Wildstar Has Two Other Races

By Jim Rossignol on July 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Wildstar, it turns out, still hasn’t revealed all its special bits to us, with two more races making an appearance at San Diego Comic Con, for some reason. They are the Chua (annoying-looking “crazy” cute rodent things) and the Mordesh (morbid space zombies). So that’s the furry and undead demographics catered for, but all I really wanted was a gold-plated robot. Turns out they already had one.

There’s a video.

Here’s the full page of races. Granok for me, I think.

Wildstar is set to make an appearance later this year, but exact date – like some kind of space spirit – still eludes us.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Njordsk says:

I guess just about every single game needs zombies.. *sigh*

2. Stoygroff says:

I was gonna go for a spellslinger, and two new races that are able to take on the class is just making the choice harder :P. Man, it’s these kind of news that makes my MMO-itch into a full-blown rash

3. Tei says:

Nobody make science-fiction anymore, because people don’t really want something alien. Alien is by definition hard to understand, maybe impossible to connect to. Will make normal people angry, confused.

Nobody makes fantasy, because truly weird things would scare people. You make a magic system that is clever and original, and everybody will go “WA DIS THIS? WU?”.

What they make its some weird “POP-fantasy futurism”. Its weird, because the Internet or mobile phones don’t exist yet in this POP fantasy futurism. We have reached the future, and we are on the beyond, what is the thing after the future. Science fiction is about technologies and devices that where obsolete 30 years ago. The future was 30 years ago, now we have surpased it, and we don’t know what are we supposed to do now.

I think we all we are supposed to fight a revolution to defend the democracy, and use laser rifles to shot at the NSA and the BNG. But we have lost our script :P We can’t be arsed to defend our democracy.

• baby snot says:

Maybe that’s why survivalism is so big in games now? Nobody knows how to think big, just observe the decay. Discuss!

• pitchman says:

That feel, i know it all too well. From grand or bleak visions of future and society, deep themes and compellining issues, sci-fi rushed to become a puddle-deep, at best, backdrop for various entertainment mediums and what have you.

• Kollega says:

I disagree with the idea that no-one makes real sci-fi anymore. Currently, if i’m not mistaken, it’s called “postcyberpunk”. It’s just that modern kiddos have zero respect for this thing people call “literature”, and movies/TV/videogames tend to be more generic because they gotta make the production budget back.

• Teovald says:

MMO just have a huge tendency to fail, and we are in the middle of a gaming industry that is not doing that good.
      So don’t expect a lot of risk taking in that kind of project.
      POP-fantasy futurism is a very good description of what is going on. It is such a waste to invest that much time and talent into a game that feels so soulless.

• Flopper says:

Have you played the WS beta? If there is one thing this game has it is soul and originality. The game is dripping style. It’s amazing. Best MMO I’ve played since before WoW.

• MisterFurious says:

Style does not equal Originality. I’m not knocking this game as I haven’t played it, but I haven’t seen anything really original in it’s gameplay or lore, at least not yet.

• rightyeauhuh says:

There are tons of great and creative sci-fi/fantasy stories still being written. I am sure it is fun to be defeatist and cynical about everything and it makes you feel so much better than those plebs who don’t know “true” sci-fi, but sometimes you are just wrong.

• Cheradanine Zakalwe says:

Second this. There is heaps of fantastic sci fi and fantasy out there (See Iain M banks and Steven Erikson). Games failing to translate good literature is hardly unique to these genres.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

One of those guys seems to be fantasy, and the other one’s dead.
          I agree that it is hard to find “good” sci-fi, but I also agree that is out there.

• Shockeh says:

If you can dismiss Iain M Banks on the basis of his (recent, no less) unfortunate death, I don’t think we’re going to find common ground as humans. :|

• Gap Gen says:

I think Hollywood has a problem with science, probably as there’s no real culture of interacting with scientists there. So science fiction in films hasn’t really progressed since 2001 (although Moon and Source Code were nice stabs at science fiction short story concepts, and I’m sure there are others). And many of the representations of scientists are either bad or insulting, again because a lot of Hollywood writers probably haven’t made the effort to talk to people outside of LA, or have pressure from execs to write a certain way.

Unsure why this should be true in games – in theory, I imagine game designers would have read a lot of science fiction as kids, although perhaps they leaned more towards Star Wars than Fountains of Paradise or whatever (although granted, a lot of the 20th century science fiction authors were bad at writing people, even if they had cool ideas).

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I’ve really only seen one movie that I consider true science fiction. (I’ve seen loads of fantasy and space opera that I really enjoy)

That movie was Andromeda Strain.

I’m not saying that type of movie is better than a Starwarsian space opera, but it’s so rare and it seems the term “Science fiction” got hijacked from that type of movie to mean anything with aliens, space, future, or tom cruise.

• Tei says:

You are right, and I feel sorry.
        I was talking more about visual arts (cinema, videogames, tv series) than literature. In literature is impossible to say nobody is doing anything interesting, because is hard to know everything that is made.

4. RedViv says:

Finally something tiny enough to run around with giant warhammers. Or giant devices of SCIENCE. Either way is good. ♥

5. Low Life says:

I am intrigued by the cyber-zombies, as they seem to have the coolest hair (replacements). Hair is important.

6. Teovald says:

The facial expressions and the liquid physics look very good, as well as some of the gameplay mechanics but god I just can’t bring myself to care about the whole setting of that game. All the races and characters feel so generic.

7. Dowr says:

Psychopathic rodents?

Instant download.

8. Koozer says:

Why do they always have to make the technologically-minded race annoying little twerps these days? I blame Warcraft.

• RedViv says:

Even better now, UNDEATH FORTRESSES!!!

• vecordae says:

Perhaps this is a prelude to fortresses neither living, nor dead. Suspended somewhere between banality and oblivion, they hover silently, able to suffer, but never able to cease. Their fate? To act as a barn to the fleeting, mindless, and inconsequential livestock we call “The players.” What mad, twisted god-thing created them and what must it be like to suffer their doom?

You’re about to find out, Cupcake!

9. pitchman says:

I dig the whole saturday morning cartoon thing they are going for, i just wish it wasn’t another theme-park WoW rehash.

• Erinduck says:

Good thing it isn’t? I mean, have you actually watched any of the previews, or..?

• Jenks says:

Hopefully this and ESO are the last hurrah for this crap. May I never see another “quest hub.”

• nrvsNRG says:

I feel the same way and ive been hearing the same thing from a lot of MMO friends too. They all feel like this is the last time they will be sucked into an MMO.

I dont have much hope for ESO, but I’m looking forward to Wildstar, but if it sucks then I’m gonna give up the chase for good.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s all very Dreamworks.

Until it shows gameplay clips in their linked videos. Then it’s all very standing-around and particle-effects. Like, y’know an MMO.

Oh well.

10. Kollega says:

As a person who probably played most Ratchet & Clank out of all people here, and is certainly most obsessed with them, i have to say: this definitely looks like someone took an ethos of Ratchet & Clank and made a MMO based on it. And i like it… even though it seems closer to Deadlocked or Crack in Time than the original in terms of darkness versus comedy.

And on a side note, when that Malvolio guy said “Hello…” in his best exasperated tone, i half-expected him to continue with “…salute, it’s me – your duke.”

• lowprices says:

What someone should have done is put Ratchet and Clanks weaponry into an mmo: “We caught the enemy scouts unaware, and pinned then to the spot with our disco grenades. Unfortunately one got a shot in, and some of our finest men were turned into flaming ducks. Then, their main force arrived, and as the rocket launchers started playing Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, we knew we were lost.”

• Kollega says:

You’re probably right about that. Although any kind of game could be made better with this kind of creative weaponry, not just an MMO.

11. JoshuaMadoc says:

That’s not a furry. That’s a goddamn Space Rabbid.

Were they actual furries, their psychopathic tendencies would be vocalized in a constant barrage of philosophical jargon mixed in with uncontrollable sexual moaning.

12. PopeRatzo says:

Is this a game or the new Pixar movie? I don’t see much gamey about it. Except the acting is pretty gamy.

13. Zepp says:

Aww, perfectly hot redhead! :>

14. Alaric says:

After reading the comments, I am surprised there isn’t more disappointment expressed. I, for one, am kinda put off by this announcement. Especially by the Forsaken. Oh excuse me, terribly sorry, I really meant the Arisen. What? Oh, right, the Mordesh, yes, of course. I apologize, it’s absolutely inexcusable to have confused this with WoW or with Allods. I am filled with shame. Oh well, back to GW2 for me then.

Comment on this story