CloudMech ZoomBang InTo ProjectNimbus

By Jim Rossignol on July 23rd, 2013 at 8:00 am.

There’sSomething OddAbout TheName ‘ProjectNimbus‘. ICan’t PutMy FingerOn It. Nope, I can’t keep that up. Anyway! It’s a game about Japanese-style flying spikey-mechs whizzing about in the sky and giving each other the old robo-biff. The (what appears to be a solo) dev explains: “If intense battle scenes in Japanese mech animations capture your imagination, this is definitely what you are looking for.”

To be honest, it doesn’t really, but I know plenty of folks who do like a bit of Japanese mech.

Look lower.

ProjectNimbus is on Greenlight, where it’s hoping you’ll give it the okay for… God, I can’t even get to some kind of cloud/steam/robot joke today. What is wrong with me? I’ll tell you what’s wrong: not enough tea, that’s what. I need to get pumped. To the kitchen!

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

Gosh, that was a boring video.

• Ross Angus says:

I liked the gatling gun sound effect.

• Moni says:

I liked how ridiculously fast the mech is.

• Syra says:

I really liked how fast the whole thing was and how pretty it all looks in motion.

Unfortunately the gameplay atm really does look a little lacklustre… tiny specs moving too fast and too far away to easily identify other than with the big red boxes on them, bit floaty and loose feeling.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Gosh what a boring comment

2. crinkles esq. says:

I like the visual style and I always have a soft spot for anime mecha, but the combat seems a bit dull. They really need to allow for some close-quarter combat, give them laser swords, that kind of thing. Otherwise it’s more like Battletech, but without terrain.

• Ansob says:

What it actually needs is a significantly larger quantity of Itano circus. Everyone knows you can’t make a good mecha game without that.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

I’d like to see Imaishi-style mech animation… which is probably impossible.

3. PatrickSwayze says:

It sounds like mechs are fighting in the sky above my house right now.

This game is now firmly on my watch list. We don’t get enough mecha games on the PC for sure and anything with such a gloriously bad voice over needs to played.

Looking at the Steam page the game has some pretty nice mech designs.

4. DaftPunk says:

Looks good so far.

5. Syra says:

Trailer on their site shows nothing but looks like a bit of fun gundam action… the real highlight is the voice acting for me – the so bad it must be done ironically japanese dialogue.

Which is why I was devastated when I read they will be localising the voices. No TY.

• Yuri says:

Thai actually.

And from what i’ve seen, the camera is basically just like in Armored Core 4/For Answer – terrible.

Their entire gameplay vid just reminded me too much of Armored Core, just set in the sky.
      I don’t exactly hate AC, but i’m not to keen on playing anything that similar to it.

• Shadowcat says:

Ah, this is intriguing… I listened to all the dialogue in the video, and I appear to have lost the will to live. Probably best that I keep myself away from harm until it returns.

• Phasma Felis says:

Presumably they’ll be some option to switch?

But yeah, oddly enough I agree. I normally can’t stand shitty voice work, but this comes off as so…shit, I dunno, alien, that it actually works. I can imagine a world where everybody talks like that, and it’s atmospheric in a really weird way.

6. Zherus says:

Drive me closer. I want to hit them with my sword!

Bugamn says:

Reminds me of Bootfighter. That game was fun.

8. Viroso says:

Requesting permission to avoid damaging the cockpit.

• Shadowcat says:

Clearly in this game the seat-of-the-pants renegade maverick pilot and the by-the-book to-the-letter rule-abiding pilot are the same person.

9. LennyLeonardo says:

Jim, does ProjectNimbus remind you of this?

10. Keyrock says:

I have to be honest and say that neither of those videos did anything for me.

11. Phasma Felis says:

I’m always vaguely amused by an anti-war message delivered through the medium of a game about blowing up hundreds and hundreds of bad guys. It seems to happen a lot.

12. Cunning Linguist says:

This has 3 serious problems:

1: Not made in Japan
    2: Does not seem to have swords or other melee combat options
    3. It looks like a boring 3D shooter.