I Can Dig It: Spelunky PC’s Daily Challenges

By Nathan Grayson on July 23rd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Note: daily challenges not actually for drinking.

Spelunky is very, very tough. Sometimes, it’s downright mean. But it pushes you so hard because it cares. Because it wants to see you do better, maybe even excel. It can only teach you so much, though. Eventually – through perseverance, hard-earned wisdom, and spelunking deep into the hardiest reaches of your own heart – you’ll master all it has to offer. Unless… no, that’s crazy. It could never happen in a million years. But hypothetically, let’s say Spelunky added a PC-exclusive daily challenge mode. One where a single death took you out of the race, but a new adventure appeared every day. Could we engage in scandalous acts of spelunkery forever?

Yes. The answer is yes. Mossmouth revealed the new mode on its very own page of Internet, explaining that each adventure will be the same for everyone, and there’ll be leaderboards for those who perform best. The developer laid out the basics:

“One chance… each day. For guts… for glory. No excuses! Since everyone plays the same adventure during the Daily, you’ll be able to know for certain who’s the top Spelunky player in your tribe – we’ve already been having a great time competing against one another behind the scenes!”

THRILL TO THAT, WHY DON’T YOU.

But yes, this sounds like a rather magnificent idea. I don’t really think it’ll have unlimited shelf life, but there’s a lot to be said for competitive runs through a game that randomly generates all of its diabolical caverns. So then, who wants to challenge my time of yeah bring it on here I go oops fuck I’m dead wow I’m really bad at this?

, , .

bglamb says:

Seems like it’ll be easy to game, but a great idea nonetheless. Looking forward to it.

• noizy says:

How so? and what is there to game anyway?

• The Random One says:

A group of people could all play it to figure out the challenge in advance, then the one best suited to that day’s particular change could use a shared account to play with a degree of foresight. So it could be gamed, just there wouldn’t be a point to it.

golem09 says:

This got me all hyped up again. Thanks. Now the two weeks I could have spent in delightful bliss will be filled with pure impatience.

lowprices says:

So when is this out? Now? Sooner than that? Please?

• Koojav says:

Spelunky will be released on 8th August

lowprices says:

Aww, that’s not sooner than now. That’s not sooner than now at all.

• Bhazor says:

When you say it’s gonna happen “now”
          Well when exactly do you mean?
          See I’ve already waited too long
          And all my hope is gone

lowprices says:

I don’t care how soon now is, just please, please, please let me get what I want.

4. SkittleDiddler says:

Anyone know if Spelunky is going to be a Steam exclusive? The game’s website doesn’t seem to give much information.

5. NailBombed says:

How powerful will your rig need to be for this? Just wondering as mine is … adequate at 2.33 dual core with 2g ram. Am I going to need a beast machine for Spelunky?

• Gargenville says:

You’ll probably be fine with anything beyond an atom-based netbook. 2D graphics aren’t going to faze any system that didn’t originally come with a CRT monitor and ball-mouse and even assuming Spelunky is pushing the 360′s CPU very very hard in the background to run spectacularly baroque AI and physics simulations the 360 was never designed to be a general purpose machine so even contemporary (2006) desktop x86 CPUs could run circles around it in that department.

edit: Oh I just saw they’re also doing a Vita port. Yeah if it runs on ARM I wouldn’t worry about a dual-core x86 anything struggling with it.

6. richtaur says:

One of my proudest gaming achievements ever is beating Spelunky on XBLA the HARD way. Took weeks, but was sooooo fun! I wish I had more challenges like that.

7. aliksy says:

Neat. I’m sure there will be assholes who cheat so they can get to the top of the score boards, of course. If it’s on steam maybe they’ll get VAC banned or something.

8. Dowr says:

This game is diffidently not shovel-ware.