Off The Fence: Nidhogg Finally Releasing (!!!)

By Nathan Grayson on July 23rd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

My blade shall pierce every organ in that putrid sack you call a body. All three of them.

We gave Nidhogg a trophy once. We said, “Nidhogg old friend, you’re an absolute joy to play and it sure is great that you’ll be coming out eventually and not just surfacing at events in musty, magical arcade machines and letting your delightful flavor briefly linger on our lips before receding back into a fog of uncertainty.” But then you never showed up. YOU NEVER CAME TO OUR PIANO RECITALS. NOT EVEN ONCE. Tears have been spilled. Tears that run hotter than blood. I’m not sure if we can ever forgi–

Oh, Nidhogg’s coming out later this year? Sweet!

Indiegames/Gamasutra bring the good word, having checked out the game and spoken with creators Mark Essen and Kristy Norindr during the recent EVO fighting game championship in Las Vegas. Here’s the most exciting bit:

“NIDHOGG is slated to be released later this year, with hopes to be available through Steam. It’s going to offer not only multiple stages, but a single-player component against AI fencers. The biggest surprise of all is the inclusion of an online multiplayer component, the details of which are still being worked out. Mark expressed his desire to include different weapons as well, such as a battle axe, ‘something with momentum,’ but that likely won’t be seen with the initial release.”

Also interesting: there’s apparently a leaping dive-kick attack now, which evens the odds when one player’s flung their sword in favor of fisticuffs. Rolling, meanwhile, serves a similar function, but on the ground. The race-to-the-finish fencing simulator’s also been spruced up with wet, meaty sound effects and “moans of anguish”. Videogames, eh? Aren’t they pleasant?

It all sounds more magnificent than ever, and I’m sure Messhof’s fined-tuned each and every pixel to a disgusting degree of balance and accuracy. And of course, it’ll be out (relatively) soon! But still: I WANT IT NOW. Whatever. I’m just gonna go compose laments on my piano.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mondomau says:

Not interested, he’s left it far too late. I mean look at those graphics, talk about dated!

• mOrs says:

So sad that this piece of satire actually mirrors the truth exactly….

• BooleanBob says:

I’m afraid for me it’s a case of once bitten, eternally consumed.

Norskov says:

Fantastic news, been looking forward to this for a long time. did manage to scratch that itch, but now I just want it more.

Clavus says:

About damn time. Helped organize about 3 LAN parties during which I thought “hmm, Nidhogg would be so great to have on the beamer”, only to discover it still wasn’t released.

4. bockzcar says:

Here’s a long match from a FG tournament where they had a cab. You can tell the guys don’t know what they’re doing at first, but they learn quickly and it becomes amazingly tense and awesome to watch.

5. Snids says:

Cleaning out your ears should probably wait till after the swordfight.

G-Lord says:

I believe it when it’s sitting on my hard drive :P.

Saul says:

I don’t know whether to be angry that it’s taken so long, or OH MY GOD, I’M SO HAPPY!!!

8. JackShandy says:

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (slithers into the undergrowth) ssssssssssssssss

9. Jad says:

I don’t know. I played the game at some event, and afterwards I was much more accepting of the game’s seemingly perpetually unreleased state.

I’m not sure how well it will work divorced from that arcade-like atmosphere. Where its all quick rounds with strangers where no one has any idea how to play and everyone is learning on the fly, surrounded by a big, laughing, shouting crowd. It is a very communal game.

I’m worried that a lot of RPS readers will download it, play a little bit of the single-player, and go: “That’s it?”

10. MOKKA says:

Finally!

11. Machinations says:

There really isn’t much, you know, game here, though. It reminds me of some overly pretentious performance art. Hopefully, I am mistaken.

12. Shazbut says:

He wanted to include a battle axe but didn’t have time…

13. Shadrach says:

He spent too long after all the hype to release it, making it some kind of elitist prick thing for the few who go to arty indie gatherings.

I have just lost interest now. There was a kind of rip-off written about on RPS a while back that I did play, it even expanded on the concept. I can’t really say I will have much interest in it, Steam or not.

14. Deano2099 says:

Yeah, I mean it’s fine if you want to do that, but when all the hype dies down and no-one cares about it anymore, don’t then say “okay, I guess I’ll let the rest of you give me money for it now then”.