Zelda Total War Mod Hits 3.0, Unleashes Amazing Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

BE SAD

Nothing is sacred in Hyrule: Total War. Nothing. I mean, for one, the genre’s not action/adventure, which is a change of pace for Nintendo’s elven master of blades and obscure wind instruments. But also, the Medieval II: Total War mod seems poised to run amok like a bull in a holy grail shop. The still-unfinished project (newly on version 3.0) has put out a new trailer that depicts all kinds of series blasphemy. Presumably dead Link. Presumably dead Zelda. Ganondorf and the chain chomp dog from Link’s Awakening delightedly playing fetch together in a daisy field. With Link’s severed eyeball. OK, maybe that last one isn’t true, but the new trailer is full of crazy wonderment, and you can find it below.

The latest version contains 19 factions (Zora! Gorons! Lizard people!), a campaign, much-requested custom settlements, and a four-mission campaign rooted in Nintendo’s official Hyrule Historia collection.

It looks like quite the project, too. Sure, bonkers battle size is nothing new for Total War or mods based on it, but this sort of absurdly epic fantasy scale is. Maybe it doesn’t entirely feel like the sort of world Nintendo’s tried to depict with Zelda, but a fresh pair of eyes overseeing the proceedings is never a bad thing. And really, so long as Link never speaks actual words, I’m fine.

Still no word on when the final version of the mod will be out, but it already looks like quite a meaty offering at this stage in the game. Has anyone tried it out recently? Does it rule highly and war totally?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. FhnuZoag says:

Man, what other franchises can be jazzed up with a Total War version? Cooking Mama: Total War? Tetris: Total War?

• Gap Gen says:

Ocarina of Time Crisis
      Wind Walker: Mechwarrior

• SominiTheCommenter says:

StarPeace: Total War

• Gap Gen says:

*Throws Shogun: Total War in the Total Warniator*
        *Sirens blare, tremors shake the entire building*
        *People stream out in panic as building explodes into a billowing fireball*

• Keyrock says:

Puyo: Total Puyo

• Werthead says:

WIND IN THE WILLOWS: TOTAL WAR

NODDY: TOTAL WAR

IN THE NIGHT GARDEN: TOTAL WAR

• Harlander says:

WitW:TW goes into detail about the brief popular uprising of the Weasels, something I still to this day can’t believe is in a children’s book

• lowprices says:

Don’t take it personally babe, it just ain’t your story.

“Today, we fight for honour, for glory, and for the evolving concept of privacy in a digital age. On my command, UNLEASH THE WAR LESBIANS!”

• Makariel says:

War: TOTALFACE

• Keyrock says:

Zumba: Total Fitness

• darkChozo says:

Total Mario Galaxy War

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Rise of the Total War Robots.

• Anthile says:

Total Kombat

• Solidstate89 says:

I’ve always wanted a Star Wars: Total War. Where you have two levels of a Campaign Map. An Intergalactic one where you can control your fleets and travel between different planets and sectors. Then you have a “ground-level” campaign map, similar to the ones you see in Total War games, except it covers the entire planet. So each planet alone would 2 to 3 times the size of any typical Total War campaign map, and multiply that by however many planets you want to include.

I’d pay easily over 100 dollars for that game.

• Felixader says:

Pikmin: Total War.

The people of the Pikmin battle for their freedom from the tyrannic reign of the descendants of Captain Omar!

There is an easy one.

• pilouuuu says:

Total War Face! Ninja’d…

Total Sims – IKEA Vs HM

• MultiVaC says:

Total War: Total War

• HeruFeanor says:

Train Simulator: Total War

Now with ample DLC!
      - Paris to Marsailles, 1943 – Avoid the Parisian Partisan bombs! $50
      - Rome to Naples, 1939 – Run on time, or ELSE! $35
      - Raleigh to Norfolk, 1861 – Ain’t no yank stoppin’ this line! $40
      … And much more!

2. draglikepull says:

I don’t normally go for mods, but that looks too good to pass up. I hope Nintendo doesn’t get too lawyer-happy on these guys.

• Chizu says:

Now this has been posted about in the internets, I fear a CnD incoming. Special with nintendo’s recent missteps online.

Maybe they’ll let them continue if they give them all their ad revenue.

• Teovald says:

I don’t remember the specifics but I think Nintendo already shut down similar projects. I don’t think it has anything to do with revenue, they just don’t want other people making things with their IPs, even for free, even if they get revenue.
        I hope this insane project will fly under the radar (I don’t have high hopes though). IMO you should be able to make this of tribute without having to ask anything to anyone.

• Milky1985 says:

Its likely to be to do with trademarks, you have to be seen as protecting them, or you lose them. Tis why a lot of companies do this sort of thing and wack down anything using there IP, if you don’t protect it you lose it.

Simply put if they hit something big down, they can be seen as protecting that trademark (even if they leave a load of smaller things alone)

The best idea for this sort of mod is to not get big enough to get the legal hammer

• draglikepull says:

A strategy that would both protect Nintendo’s trademark and allow this kind of project to continue would be to get in touch with the creators and come to some sort of non-commercial license agreement with them. That way Nintendo can claim that they’ve asserted their trademark and that this is a properly licensed release. I know that Nintendo’s fear in that case would be that they will in some way become associated with the mod and that it could negatively affect their brand, but I think it’s a compromise that gives both sides what they want.

• mike2R says:

You can only lose trademarks if they become generic terms for a product or class of products. I believe Nintendo was at risk from this at one point, when the word “Nintendo” was in danger of becoming a generic term for a games console.

The risk of something similar happening from unauthorised mods based on their IP would appear to be zero, so I suspect if they were to take action, it would be due to other motivations.

• Milky1985 says:

@mike2R

Not quite, you can lose it via not defending it, not directly but people can use it to say that you are not using the trademark and as such get it removed.

You can ignore it if under certain circumstances –

“It is not necessary for a trademark owner to take enforcement action against all infringement if it can be shown that the owner perceived the infringement to be minor and inconsequential.”

but if its infringed you need to be looking at it, if they used the word legend of Zelda in a game scenario, in the US (a area where its registered) they are possibly infringing.

Am not a lawyer, but do some work in the patents/trademark sector.

But you still have to defend it, there may be other motivations (not wanting someone else to profit from there IP would be the main one) but trademarks could also be an issue here, copyright as well as a load of other things, massive legal minefield for both parties tbh, Nintendo might not want to be seen as the bad guys but they might have to or lose ownership of important things to do with the franchise.

@draglikepull

Issue with that idea methinks is that they didn’t ask for permission to begin with, would be seen in other people eyes as a way to get a license so Nintendo legal might not like it (also to avoid other people doing the same). Again would be good but i doubt it would happen :/

Fingers crossed nothing happens but i fear the worst, both for the mod (as it looks awesome) and Nintendo as people like to beat on Nintendo for some reason, they have done stupid things at times but the amount of hate directed that them is staggering. So this will be another thing that people will l latch onto, Nintendo beating on the little guys!

• ulix says:

@Milky1985:

You can only loose it if you’re not using it, as you’ve correctly stated. Nintendo however is using it’s IPs regularly. Even if they’d only sell them through the Virtual Console, that would already be enough.

• ulix says:

Also, read what I’ve written below. Nintendo has NEVER sent C&D letters to fan projects, with only one exception.

• ulix says:

As I state in every thread concerning mods based on Nintendo IPs:
      Nintentendo has NEVER, EVER done anything against mods like this. The only game I know that was based on a Nintendo property that received a C&D was Pokemon Online, but Pokemon is jointly owned by Nintendo and the Pokemon Company, so it was probably the Pokemon Company’s doing.

Nintendo has an incredibly good, incredibly lenient history and policy regarding mods like this.

So no, this mod will NOT receive a C&D.

• ulix says:

And as you guys of course know, there’s tens of thousands of fan-games and mods based on Nintendo IPs out there… and none – NONE – ever received a C&D (with the sole exception of Pokemon Online).

• MasterDex says:

If you’re going to give a PSA, it’s best to check your info. There’s a reason people are worried that Nintendo will send a C&D; they’ve sent more than one.

• nearly says:

To be fair, this is a project that’s been going on for a while, I believe. I know I have a version of it that just adds/changes units and definitely didn’t have any of the environments from the video or look quite as pretty.

3. Bhazor says:

This just makes me want the Total War: Warhammer game even more.

4. Lemming says:

I’m ambivalent about this. On the one hand, that is an impressive mod. On the other, how these people see Legend of Zelda is disturbing and weird. It’s like watching Postman Pat fucking his black and white cat.

• Grygus says:

That is probably also on the Internet someplace.

• misterT0AST says:

Well what do you care? Total War is not about how they present the world to you, it’s about how you shape it to be. Like that time when the Pope got hit by a Byzantine cannon ball. My point being, if you don’t like how tragicly and inappropriately the Hilyans act, just roll over them with the Gorons and pretend they never existed.
      Also some canon has probably been adapted just to fit a Total-Waresque atmosphere. Like the Lizalfos being an independent faction, or the Kokiri being any good at war.

• Gap Gen says:

Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and Thomas the Tank Engine in an epic about privatisation. Cartoon pirates executed and publicly displayed to deter others. Any Disney princess in the Game of Thrones. Etc.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Sometimes sacred cows are meant to be eaten.

5. Superpat says:

Its insane what they cook up.

• Gap Gen says:

That video is a fine culinary mix of what the hell and whoah.

6. Wisq says:

4:3 video? In this day and age?!

Maybe they’re going for that retro TV look.

• MasterDex says:

If I remember correctly, CA used Bink in Medieval II, I don’t think it’s possible to have widescreen/hi-res videos.

7. darkChozo says:

They tried, but not even a Total War setting can make the Imprisoned look anything but silly.

8. Koozer says:

LoZ mod for Torchlight? I’d understand that. Oblivion? Sure. but…Total War?

9. Inigo says:

but a fresh pair of eyes overseeing the proceedings is never a bad thing.

Said Philips to Nintendo.

10. Mr. Mister says:

I wonder if Nephalim used the idea I told him abot a year ago or so to include a Kokiri Lumberjackers ironical warriors: you sawed their literal woods, they’re gonna saw your figurative wood.

11. Turkey says:

Hi, I’m from an alternate universe where Hyrule: Total War is based on historical events. I’m currently working on a total conversion mod for H:TW 3 that’s modeled after a fantasy series I’ve read called “For Dummies.” I’m currently working on converting Link into a crudely drawn man who’s trying to learn how to play guitar.

12. db1331 says:

Tingle as a playable faction or it’s a no-go.

• Mr. Mister says:

There’s a Fairies faction, and given the difficulty of the job, he could be a mercenary and be the only unit capable of infiltrating and spying on them.

13. Vinraith says:

What is that horrifying tusked monster at the top of the page, and is she about to eat that elf?

14. MadTinkerer says:

Well SHIT. Link’s dead, Hyrule actually scrounged up an army from somewhere, the other normally friendly kingdoms have gone on the march, The Twilight Princess is decapitating people, the giant dungeon bosses are now army units, oh and it looks like Majora itself (the franchise’s sort-of equivalent of frickin’ Cthulhu) has been fully unleashed in it’s true form. Ganon shouldn’t be smiling in that trailer, he should be going “Now to conquer peaceful Hyrule, with nothing left in my way. Wait, what? Why is everyone fighting!? This completely ruins all my plans! Majora is loose!?! Frickin’ Majora?!? Is there going to be anything left to rule when this all dies down?”

• Mr. Mister says:

Also, Ganon and Ganondorf are separate entities, the first being a Moblin king, and the second being our beloved Gerudo king.

• Felixader says:

I am pretty sure that people decapitating thing was this “Ghost of The Sword” thing from the Last Legend of Zelda. (haven’t played it yet. ^_^)

• darkChozo says:

Yup, that’d be Fi. Also that scene is kinda hilariously dissonant with her portrayal in the games.

15. Tei says:

While a lot of people where playing Zelda games in his console wen was a kid. I was making games in assembler on my computer, my commodore 64. So I have absolutelly zero nostalgia for this Zelda shit. But this video is strangelly atractive and varied. I kind of like. Anyway withouth a map of whats going on, I think the joke would be lost on me.

16. Harlander says:

The winglike sprues of the logo here remind me a little of the wings of the Imperium of Man’s eagle.

I can only presume this means that they exist in the same continuity

17. Nero says:

Hopefully Eian is in this mod.

18. pilouuuu says:

Another win for the master race! Being amazingly better than console games thanks to mods since 1873.

• FroshKiller says:

Amazingly better than console games like the Legend of Zelda series on which the entire motivation for this mod was based? The series for which absolutely no adventure game PC complement of similar quality with an equally fervent fanbase exists?

• arccos says:

Considering you can emulate every Zelda game ever, PC really is the master platform.

19. MasterDex says:

I notice the link points to ModDB when, for the sake of the dev team and the players, I’d argue it should really point to TWCenter – http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1894-Hyrule-Total-War-%28HTW%29

It should also help highlight all the other great mods out and in the works for the Total War series.

20. JoshuaMadoc says:

Well, time to download this for hoarding, considering how Nintendo gives no shits about modders.