Runescape Is Back, Back! BACK!

By Jim Rossignol on July 24th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Jagex send word that their third iteration of the enormously popular fantasy MMO – Runescape 3 – has materialised on this internet, right here. The game is kicking off with a ten-week event, in which the players must battle for “Lumbridge”. That might not sound very glamorous, but it gives players the chance to work together in PvP activities, with the ultimate goal of being champion of the event, and actually changing stuff in the world. Jagex explain: “You’ll be able to join one of the two factions, and to collect divine tears – fragments of condensed, Guthixian energy that can be gathered through combat and skilling, both on the battlefield and off.” Unpronounceable energies are the best kind.

Lovely trailer below.

You can sign up over here, and it’s free, obviously.

, , .

1. Chris D says:

“…Guthixian energy that can be gathered through combat and skilling…”

I misread that as skiing and now I feel the actual game can only bring disappointment.

2. lowprices says:

Lumbridge sounds like it should be a town in the southeast of England. Hopefully expansions will feature battles for control of Nottingham and Hull.

• TheGroovyMule says:

Question is, who would want them?

• lowprices says:

The various factions would be fighting to make sure they didn’t have to be in control of the cities.

3. Astiahl says:

There was a Runescape 2?

• Ringwraith says:

That is the one that everyone calls Runescape currently if I recall.
      No-one speaks of the first.

4. Tei says:

The Galactic Enciclopedia entry for Runescape say that the game is so bad, is good and very popular. I imagine has ben hard to make this sequel and retain all the ugly things and poorly made things that made the original all that popular. The temptation to just improve everything is to big. But how can you scam newbies if the trading screen is decent?. This game is a conundrum inside a paradox inside a venn diagram without intersection.

5. Don Reba says:

Cool, the game that forever turned me away from MMORPGs is still alive. Not to say that it is a bad game, mind you, as far as MMORPGs go.

6. Danny says:

Is it really a new game? As in; all players start out with nothing, or is it just a graphical overhaul and all the vets still have their funky things to kill me over and over again?

• Tams80 says:

Nope. All items are still there, as are skill levels (though they seem to have changed it since I last logged on; I went up 64 levels). The game still lags a fair bit on minimum settings on a not that old computer.

• Tendentieus says:

Na, it’s all the same stuff.

This actually buggers me the most. Nothing has really changed apart from some window dressing. I would like try it with a new world, new quests and new discoveries to be made. This is the game that I played 7 years ago on Secondary School, which I grew bored off.

• bstard says:

Does it really matter nothing changed? MMO’s are about practicing the worse in human character. Scream, scam, cheat, parasite, nick, rollplay, steal, pretend to be a middle aged not quite so fat female, and Nelson at badly geared noobs.

Gosh I’m starting to miss them..

7. The Random One says:

The headline seems a bit alarmist, as if Jim was shouting “Run! Escape!”

8. -Spooky- says:

YaY! RS3 with Java Script in browser? Rly?

• Don Reba says:

Chrome-only. All rejoice in the wonderful world of cross-platform HTML5 apps.

9. tasteful says:

Maybe I’m easy but “that might not sound very glamorous” got a good laugh

10. Tei says:

*put babylon fish on ear orifice* what I am trying to say is that the simple design was part of the appeal of the original and that is hard to translate.

11. Branthog says:

I’ve never played Runescape. Maybe I should try? Or is Runescape kind of filled with the same people who still play WoW ten years later or still live in Second Life?

12. Premium User Badge jrodman says:

I got dragged into a brief foray into runescape recently.

There were a lot of broken screens that said things like “loading” and “buffering” breaknig the cutscenes entirely, and making it hard to actually play the game.

When all that was over, the actual game revealed itself to be entirely grinding. And by that i mean, do anything to get nuisancy skill points at doing anything. And .. not much more to it.