Shock As New Sims 3 Expansion Packs Announced

By Cara Ellison on July 24th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

OMIGOSH THE FUTURE
Far in the distance, a tiny speck appears on the grassy horizon. You can’t quite make it out – it could be anything, but it is moving. It is moving towards you, faster and faster now – you can make out a person’s features. It is a brunette with a bubblegum pink streak in her hair, and dark black square-rimmed glasses. She is wonderfully beautiful; just a dream. Like how you imagine Kristen Bell would be if she had brown hair and the build of an Amazon that had let herself go a bit and was about five years younger. So not that much like Kristen Bell but JUST ENOUGH. She is running, running, getting closer and closer – she is almost here, with an exhausted look on her face.

“RPS!” she says. “RPS! I bring NEWS! THERE ARE GOING TO BE SIMS 3 EXPANSION PACKS!” She coughs and splutters with the effort. “That’s right! The Sims 3 Into the Future and The Sims 3 Movie Stuff!” she says, stopping when she sees your frankly quite disappointed face. “I am not good at this news thing,” she sighs.

Imagine I had been living in a room with no windows, no doors, starved of any knowledge about videogames, culture, any kind of exposure to the outside world. No, dear readers, I know what you are thinking you are thinking – haha Cara! You don’t know anything about videogames or culture in general anyway! I mean you only read Ulysses for the Molly sex scene! And you didn’t like it you Philistine! Well you know what? Even if I knew nothing about videogames EVER, I am still pretty sure I would know that THERE WILL BE MORE SIMS 3 EXPANSION PACKS UNTIL THE EARTH DISINTEGRATES AND CRASHES INTO THE SUN or Sims 4 comes out and is more popular.

Here is a trailer of Sims 3 Into the Future:

It will be available October 22nd of This Year. Here is a trailer for The Sims 3 Movie Stuff where you get to make The Sims look more like a movie and things, “tell more unique stories with décor, furnishings, and clothing inspired by iconic movie genres,” it says.

That will be out on Sept 10th, according to The News.

Okay bye

__________________

« | »

, , , .

Top comments

1. Njordsk says:

DISCOUNT, get the whole sims 3 package at -90% for only $7000 !

1. Gap Gen says:

Wait, you can get beautiful dreams? Or you mean the ones where your dead relatives stop screaming for a just a bit while their teeth fall out?

Also I like how even the marketing department have run out of enthusiasm and have started just calling their products “movie stuff”.

• Lucretious says:

The Sims: Videogame Stuff

• Gap Gen says:

The Siehblhsdasdgsadasjslksdjaskjd: hssdaksdhadlkhdasjk

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

German can be a surprisingly elegant language. Your mastery of it is astounding.

• The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

YOUR MASTERY OF SEWER JUNK IS AS IMPRESIVE AS MY VICTORY OVER THE SNAKE OF MINDLESS UNDERWEAR. THE DESTRUCITY OF YOUR GERMAN IS A BEAUTIFUL AS THE WALL OF SOULS THAT WORSHIP THE GODS THAT BOW DOWN TO THE JANITOR WHO GOES TO THE CAFE WHERE THE WARRIOR WOULD WORK IN A PARALLEL DIMENSION.

• rokahef says:

Put down the coffee cup.
            Seriously.

• Gap Gen says:

No, rokahef. Their energies are vibrating so close to the cosmic frequency. Why stop drinking double espressos when they are so close to godhood?

• stupid_mcgee says:

As someone who actually plays The Sims, the reason why it’s called Movie “Stuff” is because it is a “stuff pack.” There are expansions, like Pets and Seasons, that add actual functionality and expand game mechanics. Then there’s the “stuff” packs, like the 70′s, 80′s, 90′s Stuff and High End Loft Stuff.

Stuff packs were introduced in The Sims 2.

So, basically, they’re releasing an expansion (Into The Future) and a stuff pack (Movie Stuff).

• Gap Gen says:

Ok, so it’s like, say, TF2: Wearable Crap or DOTA 2: Announcer Packs and Shit. Skyrim: Like, whatever: More things, I guess, I haven’t read what the computer nerds in development wrote about it.

2. Chalky says:

EA certainly has managed to identify at least one group of gamers happy to spend hundreds of pounds on absolute tat. If they could grasp the fact that trying to do this with every single game they release isn’t going to end well it’d be OK.

• RedViv says:

But that is the Game Industry Way: It works here, let’s do it somewhere else!

• Iskariot says:

EA is not able to grasp anything.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Yet they are determined to grasp everything.

• WedgeJAntilles says:

The more you tighten your grip, EA, the more gamers will slip through your fingers…

• NyuBomber says:

Or bite your fingers with “Worst Company in America” awards.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Oh no! A bunch of angry nerds voted us worst company in America! In a stupid blog’s poll! That belongs to a shitshow network of wannabe pajama-journalists! Oh my!

I wonder how this is going to affect our bottom line!?

What’s that? Not at all? Cool.

• NyuBomber says:

Except that their terrible overall public image and direction DID cut heavily into their financials, to the point where there were heavy corporate shake-ups, including the resignation of their CEO, and lay-offs just a few months ago.

EA is not Activision.

But go ahead, continue to be pointlessly and ignorantly snarky. That adds to the conversation, surely.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Okay. Yeah, EA’s interest and massive financial windfall caused by their poor excursions into mobile gaming had nothing to do with that. Neither did the massive failures of TOR and MoH, both of which were exorbitantly expensive to produce.

BTW, to give you an idea as to how fucking retarded the journalism at Kotaku is: while they managed to at least get the VG Holdings acquisition somewhat correct (EA didn’t actually acquire VG Holdings, they bought BioWare’s debt from Elevation Partners, of which VG Holdings was the holding subsidiary), Kotaku conveniently forgot to mention that Riccitilleo was the CEO of VG Holdings, as well as co-founder of Elevation Partners.

If you actually bothered to read your own linked articles, you would see that the EA’s financial woes are due to poor mobile sales, asides from The Simpsons: Tapped Out, and poor sales of highly touted games like The Old Republic, which cost EA an arm and a leg to acquire.

EA’s financial woes are not due to some bullshit poll by a shit-rag blog from the septic system of pajama-journalism. It’s due to making shitty, under-performing games that have consistently failed to meet the level of quality that consumers demand. All that poll did was bolster people’s positions. Those who hate EA felt vindicated. Those that don’t care ignored it as the overblown tripe it was. I never heard or read a comment from a single person that saw that poll and went, “holy shit! I’m not buying EA games anymore. This really convinced me not to buy any more Dead Space, Dragon Age, Battlefield, or Madden games ever again!”

People still buy Madden. People still buy FIFA. Hell, a lot of people say FIFA is the superior football/soccer game, primarily due to the licensing alone.

But, go ahead, and post articles that in no way actually support your argument and pretend like you actually know what you’re talking about. Surely, that’s just as helpful as me pointing out the absurdity of your ill-founded claims.

• Surlywombat says:

Well said! *wanders off to count his steam trading cards*

3. Frosty840 says:

Sims 3 really has reached the point of being abysmally broken as all fuck.

Rather than develop new features, I’d really much rather they actually patch the damn game so that your entire gameworld doesn’t catastrophically implode in on itself at random intervals.

That’s not going to happen, though, is it?

• RedViv says:

Don’t worry, Sims 4 will work nicely when released!

• amateurviking says:

*internet connection required

• NyuBomber says:

Actually, they already came out and confirmed that Sims 4 will retain the ability for single-player offline.

This is at the stage where nothing else has been confirmed about the game other than the teaser logo.

Sad state of affairs.

• lowprices says:

If you don’t have a stable internet connection, don’t worry, you’ll be able to buy Offline credits from EA’s store. 500 OC’s (available in packs of 400 for £5.99 each) will allow the game to stay functional offline for 10 minutes. You will still need to log in daily though, or your game will stop functioning.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

Yeah, this. Why can’t the next expansion pack be called “The Sims 3: Fixes For Bugs That Have Been In The Game For Years At This Point”?

• ch4os1337 says:

The game is fine and there are plenty of community fixes for everything, I have all the content for the game installed (you heard me) and my game works fine. I’d recommend using the Razer Game Booster though, it actually speeds up the game amazingly well.

4. Mbaya says:

I think I got more enjoyment from this than I would any Sim’s expansion pack, so it was totally worth it, I just hope the prophesies comes true and they do in fact make more expansion packs so we get more updates!

Here’s hoping!

I do finally have to ask however, is Cara short for Carazy? :)

In all seriousness…I actually rather like the look of the future expansion stuff, I can hardly condemn it when I’m looking forward to Maia so much. Will I reinstall the Sims 3 and finally buy an expansion pack for it however? Probably not… :D

Edit: I just watched the Movie Stuff trailer… tasteful :|

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Sims 10 shock

6. BTAxis says:

I remember starting up Sims 3 once. Then I got to a screen that asked “what kind of story do you want to tell?”. That’s where I cut out.

7. pilouuuu says:

Well, this looks slightly interesting, especially because it is something more sci-fi and less dollhouse-ly. But to be honest The Sims 3 has become pretty dull for me.

The so hyped unique sims’ personalities and open-world gameplay are flawed and underwhelming. And even the expansion packs have been quite dull.

It is only now that it’s gotten more creative as this is one idea that is not a remake, but The Sims 3 is over now and The Sims 4 is already coming, so why bother? But I have to admit I like the customizations of the robots. It even reminds me of Spore and one of its good features.

I hope that when they release The Sims 4 they get a bit more creative and original like with this expansion pack and also that they plan better in advance as you can see many bugs and annoyances with The Sims 3 is because they were making this up as they were creating the expansions.

8. bstard says:

Seeing this Kristen closing in, all sweaty, and still be able to comprehend the words. The news. The story. Impressive..

PS nice article.

9. Njordsk says:

DISCOUNT, get the whole sims 3 package at -90% for only $7000 !

• Belsameth says:

While EA is bad with The Sims, I urge you to take a look at Train Simulator 2013.
      Suddenly EA seems fairly reasonable…

10. Gassalasca says:

SIMFACE!

11. Zarf says:

I got more enjoyment out of the opening two paragraphs of this article than I did out of all of my The Sims experiences combined, and I liked The Sims.

12. Solidstate89 says:

I might get beat with keyboards for saying this; but I personally think that Future expansion pack is actually quite intriguing. It looks like the most “fun” expansion pack I’ve seen them put put for a Sims game since the “Makin’ Magic” expansion for the original The Sims.

13. -Spooky- says:

Another Sims 3 Addon? Jeez.

14. Trelow says:

I’ll end up preordering Into the Future. I’m a man with a badass beard and lots of guns, but I love my Sims. Also, this expansion looks awesome. FUTURE!

• stupid_mcgee says:

I’ll thumb out someone’s eyes and stomp their skull like a ripe watermelon, but I absolutely love building and decorating houses while playing dolly in The Sims.

15. NyuBomber says:

Adding Sci-Fi to the “pick up on a Steam sale” list, looks fun.

I never buy Stuff packs, so that’s whatever.

16. Buemba says:

Not ashamed to admit I think Into the Future looks pretty cool. In fact I thought the Sims 3 expansions were rather decent, except for the fact that the systems each added felt pretty compartmentalized and didn’t interact well with one another.

I’d like to see them release a town that actually supported all the unique systems, buildings and NPC spawns featured in every expansion for once.

• Trelow says:

Check out http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/unioncove/ It’s usually pretty well updated and works with everything

• Buemba says:

Oh wow, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

• stupid_mcgee says:

Awesome! How have I not found this before? I even drowse through Carl’s Sims every now and then.

Ditto on the thanks! You just made my day!

• RedViv says:

Usually they integrate that automatically, and the store has free seasonal festivity lots for every official neighbourhood.

• NyuBomber says:

If you bought Seasons, the Seasonal Festival lots automatically placed themselves into each town.

However, much of the work depends on the player going into Edit Town and adding/replacing/building/setting what plots and, thus, functions they want to favor.

One of my big hopes for Sims 4 is bigger towns, thus allowing more plots and liveliness.

17. belgand says:

Wow… I remember a time when the first game came out and it was actually rather fun for a bit. Back before the expansions were released and the demographic shifted over to “people who would like to buy furniture that they can’t actually sit on”.

18. MadTinkerer says:

Well FINALLY. How realistic is it that it’s almost 2015 and we didn’t have a Sims expansion with hoverboards and flying cars until now?

Also notice the emphasis on the Western theme in the other expansion. There’s already expansions for 80s and 50s stuff. With a little tweaking, the bland, harsh, jetpack-lacking Actual-2013 of The Sims can be completely replaced by Back To The Futureverse, and I want that.

I got the base game with Pets on the Steam sale, so even Einstein is covered!

• Mbaya says:

“How realistic is it that it’s almost 2015 and we didn’t have a Sims expansion with hoverboards and flying cars until now?”

Nevermind the Sims, I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to have those by now out in the real world! :’(

19. Rich says:

I’m super excited about Sims 4! When it comes out Sims 3 might actually have a non-sale price that’s lower than its release price.

…just be sure to enjoy it for the 5 minutes between releasing Sims 4 and EA turning off all support for Sims 3.

20. ralph_plauren says:

This isn’t aimed at any of you.. The people who read RPS are not the demographic that EA target with the Sims games and so I didn’t expect to see anything but the mass of PROGAMER comments at the top.

I think the sims expansion packs are always really creative, they often add whole new mechanics and at least the larger ones have masses of content. Compare that to other developers and the DLC that they trot out and I am not sure where all the vitriol comes from.

Honestly the RPS comments section is slowly turning into the Daily Mail, with the die hard PC GAMERS FOR LYF who hate anything they deem for casuals and the endless stream of sarcastic “witty” pun comments.

• NyuBomber says:

“This isn’t aimed at any of you.”

My collection of Sims 3 and expansions (minus Pets and Stuff packs) says differently.

• Kadayi says:

I don’t know, there’s a lot of the same shit that pops up every time tbh. It’s all very rote at this point.

• Mbaya says:

We seem to have different comments visible…most of the comments I see are people making friendly jibes at the game, people that think the content (from the Future expansion at least) looks pretty cool or actually having valid criticism towards the game in it’s current state.

I think out of many gaming sites, not only does RPS have a readership that values good discussion about all types of games but is also quite open minded to the experiences said games can offer.

Probably worth adding, that I’ve owned all the base games of the Sims. While the expansions don’t usually appeal, even the Future expansion has tickled my interest a little.

In regard to the trailers/expansions not being targeted towards a certain crowd, to be honest, that can be said about most trailers (as is discussed often around these parts) – it doesn’t mean we can’t have a little fun at their expense or offer criticism in hopes they appeal to us a little more in the future.

As for the puns, the puns are glorious, the more puns the better! In fact, they should be mandatory, with appropriate punishments for those that don’t comply.

21. SaVi says:

Instant purchase if I can date a robot. Because dating a robot in a virtual world would be incredible, following the laws of quantum mechanics.

22. mtomto says:

I’ve got a lot of the previous expansions and other EA titles. Then I bought SimCity… then made myself the promise of never buying an EA title again – at least until they get their **** together and release a good (finished) game.

• stupid_mcgee says:

The Sims is the only EA game I will buy. And that’s because it’s the only game in this kind of genre that I am so infatuated with.

• Kadayi says:

You do realise that the Sims people are an entirely different team from the Sim City people?

23. Nova says:

You are good at this news thing.

24. MacTheGeek says:

“Imagine I had been living in a room with no windows, no doors, starved of any knowledge about videogames, culture, any kind of exposure to the outside world.”

So… you’re a Sim with a sadistic creator, and you’re about to pee yourself to death?

25. geldonyetich says:

I like future-ish stuff a lot more than university-ish stuff and so this Sims 3 expansion interests me a whole lot more than the last one.

Only problem is, last time I looked at Sims 3, it was a cthulean monster of various expansion packs hanging haphazard off of a core game built for computers almost half a decade ago. Yet, this amorphous wallet consuming monster was not scary, nay, it was comical because it kept crashing dramatically to my desktop.

The only way to keep the lumbering beast on its feet was to beg favors from the community support, as apparently EA Maxis couldn’t be buggered to fix their own game, and consequently the horrible creature was only moderately content to remain vertical when it had 50 random strangers pushing it up on all sides.

Consequently, despite liking the idea of a future-based expansion, I’m not sure Sims 3 can handle another expansion. I have every reason to believe that this is going to be the strand of spaghetti that will bring down the whole plate of spaghetti code.

26. cunningmunki says:

Anyone else’s brain put that headline together as “System Shock 3 something something something”?

No? Just me then. I need some air.

27. ix says:

If you think these expansion packs are that useless, why report on them in the first place?*

* and yes, now I’m commenting on them. Oh the irony.