Teleglitch: Die More Edition Is Imminent

By Jim Rossignol on July 24th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

It is very important to me that you realise how much affection I have for the brutal lo-fi roguelike shooter, Teleglitch. It’s a horrible, atmospheric game that does everything right. It’s gruesomely claustrophobic, and ridiculously difficult. It allows you to explore for scraps of the world, letting you bolt things together into makeshift weapons that probably won’t – if we’re being honest – actually keep you alive. The game has materialised on the dark edges of digital distribution today, and at the time of writing it has just appeared on Steam. You will be able to get Steam keys from all these places, too, of course. The new edition – published by Paradox and containing extra expandy bits – will be made available to everyone who has purchased the game, so existing owners can upgrade, somehow.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. OmNomNom says:

“Hello survivor of the original Telegitch!

Since you supported the production of Teleglitch: Die More Edition by purchasing the original game, helping it to gain some momentum and popularity in the process, we would like to give you a free version of the new edition, including pre-order bonuses, as a thank you. ”

Aww <3

• amateurviking says:

Now if I can only remember which email address I registered the sale with I’d be golden.

• Okami says:

Yup, finding this mail in my inbox a few hours ago made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Whatever their next game, it will be a day one purchase for me. Also, as ridiculous as this may sound, since Teleglitch is now in my Steam library, the chances of me giving it another try in the near future have increased a lot. (I played It quite often after buying it and really enjoyed it, but I never got past it’s third or fourth level because Oh My God This Is Fucking Hard!! And haven’t touched it since then.)

• Skabooga says:

These people are the best.

• Shadowcat says:

That would be awesome, were it not for the Steam bit.

I just spent the better part of a half hour trying to register and post a reply to http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?703787-Non-Steam-Version but to no avail, so I’ll just hope that the developer is reading this.

I assume that Steam is not a necessary part of the new edition, and rather is just there for the DRM. So although the new game can only be purchased as a Steam game, I wanted to at least propose the idea that you make available a patch for people who purchased the original game, which adds the new features.

That way people who already bought a DRM-free version could retain that benefit, and it doesn’t make a difference to anyone else.

Obviously that’s more work that you don’t have to do otherwise, so I understand if you ignore the idea; but it would certainly make some of your original customers very happy indeed; particularly those of us who don’t use Steam!

• bill says:

That would be a fair bit more work for what is essentially a generous gift. Especially given that the number of people who (a) bought the original, and (b) refuse to use steam, and (c) want to play it again would probably be pretty small. But you never know – some indie devs are incredibly generous.

• Arkh says:

A shame, really. I was looking forward to buy the new edition but since it’s Steam only I will pass it.
        Oh well, damn you Paradox and your exclulisivity deal with Steam!

2. Dominic White says:

Yep, folks who bought the original version should check their email now.

3. Inglourious Badger says:

Awesome, I really must buy this game. Haven’t spent so long replaying a demo since the days of pre-broadband PC Gamer cover disks

4. Radiant says:

A bloody WONDERFUL game.

Emphasis on both bloody and wonderful.

5. airtekh says:

Played the demo when it first got released and thought it was pretty decent. Forgot to buy it though.

That is now rectified.

6. dE says:

This is good news for the Teleglitch Devs. I’m concerned about Paradox though, they have a habit of going a bit insane with DLC and there are already signs.

Purchase before July 31st and receive the Original Soundtrack plus 8 Exclusive in-game weapons and utilities!

7. OmNomNom says:

It’s different enough from the original so far to make it fun all over again, kinda in a Doom 2 vs Doom 1 way though :D

8. Dominic White says:

From what I’ve seen, the pre-order ‘DLC’ for the game is a bonus starting option. You can trade in your starting 9mm pistol and RDX250 explosive for a random weapon and piece of gear. The weapons can range from amazing (an elephant gun and 20 shotgun shells) to terrible (a credit card with a built-in tazer which runs out in seconds), and the gear similarly so.

It’s entirely optional though, and really only affects how you play the first couple of floors.

9. Stepout says:

I can’t get past the controls in this game, keeps me from playing it.

10. Gilly says:

So I bought the original Teleglitch on Desura; will I still get the new edition? :x

• Pilmer says:

If you go to your Desura library (assuming Teleglitch is installed), right click to grab your “CD key” which is actually a Steam code for the Die More edition. Can’t wait to try this out tonight!

11. engion3 says:

One of my favorite games I’ve played recently.

12. barelyhomosapien says:

So I got this game on Desura yesterday after thinking “I’m sure RPS have said good things about this”

Wow what a game! Very few games drag me in to the point where I’m talking to my monitor

“Eat knife sucker!” shortly followed by “Gah there’s got to atleast be some tinned meat around here someplace!”

13. crinkles esq. says:

Wow, I just looked on Steam and this appears to be available for Mac and Linux now! Previously I’m almost positive it was Windows-only in previous RPS coverage. This is exciting news because it’s the perfect game to play when frustrated by work.

14. nearly says:

Seems to work with GreenManGaming’s 20% off voucher for those who aren’t opposed to getting it a little cheaper. I can’t remember if I liked the game or didn’t, but I remember leaving the demo’s folder alone when I was cleaning out my Downloads folder, so that’s probably a good thing. Will have to revisit.

15. Phasma Felis says:

Paradox made the…odd decision to remove all legit ways to acquire either the old full version or the demo as soon as preorders opened for Die More. Early purchasers got the new edition for free anyway, so I’m not clear why they couldn’t have given access to the old game to pre-orderers, and pulling the demo just as you start asking for money is astoundingly bizarre.

Long story short, I found the demo linked from one of the Die More comment threads, liked it, and soon found myself once again in the odd position of pirating a game I had just paid for.

16. Sunjumper says:

After having played the new version for a while I have discovered that they put quite a bit of effort into re-balancing the game.

If I don’t do something fabulously stupid I always get past level one in the original game and usually meet my inevitable doom around level 3 or 4.

Now I barely reach the end of level 1 and the few times that I did, I did so with zero ammo left. The 9mm pistol is weaker than before and it feels like ammo is now even more scarce.
    So far the new edition is even harder than the original, but this might just be me using obsolete tactics as it seems that kiting monsters and using bombs to kill entire mobs seems to be a very efficient tactic which I never used before.

Teleglitch still out atmospheres most other games.

17. hjd_uk says:

Bought it immediatly after seeing the article. Im at work so going to have to wait ’till lunchtime to play it D:

18. Pippy says:

It was only because I was looking for my email from them that I realised Gmail had split my “front page” or whatever into 3 sections WITHOUT TELLING ME*.Still rockin good news it was there.They seem to have mistaken me for a Teleglitch survivor though…is there such a thing?
    *Or possibly because i never bother to read about the exciting new features that I can now enjoy whether I like it or not

Comment on this story