Tomb Raider To Continue As Comic, Before New Game

By John Walker on July 24th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

While a sequel to this year’s Tomb Raider hasn’t officially been announced, it’s obviously inevitable despite rumours of “mediocre” sales (ie. Square’s expectations were ludicrously high). And it seems the gap between the two games will be bridged by a comickybook.

Coming from Dark Horse, Kotaku reports the new comic will be at least in part created by Gail Simone (Dead Pool, Wonder Woman). The tone of the comic will continue to focus on Lara’s so-called origin story, which the recent game rather weakly tried to be. But rather than being stuck on Collapsing Island, for the book Lara is to be back to her traditional globetrotting ways. And will, Simone says, lead directly into the plot of the next game. (Ooh – the next game’s going to have a plot!)

Which is the strongest evidence there is, just now, of a new Tomb Raider. Which, as we noted in the earlier post about Square’s woes, might be a good idea to announce so people have something to look forward to.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. RedViv says:

Secret Six? The Movement? Current writer on Batgirl and the Red Sonja reboot? MOAR CREDITS!

If Gail Simone has one really outstanding talent, then it’s throwing characters through horrible and exciting plots to get them to be better. Which makes her absolutely perfect for this.

• In Zod We Trust says:

I agree. Couldn’t be a better writer for Lara at the moment in comics. Gail Simone writes brilliant characters. Makes you love them then puts them through hell. All the while getting great laughs from the incredible dialogue.

Writing that makes me think she’s like Joss Whedon when he’s at his best. Snappy dialogue, exciting situations and things becoming horrible right in the middle of a laugh.

Can’t wait. A great plot for me was the only thing missing from tomb Raider. Okay, also maybe an explanation of why Lara became such a good murderer so fast. But I guess she needs to work her bloodlust up to killing tigers and T-Rexes for her later career.

• lowprices says:

I always assumed Lara’s animal murdering ways were a result of her being part of the landed gentry. She sees an animal, and her natural reaction is to get a gun and shoot it for sport. Doesn’t explain her human based bloodlust, though. Maybe she views humans as the greatest sport.

• In Zod We Trust says:

She may have learned it in some sort of Sir, You Are Being Hunted crossover event. If she’s in Dark Horse comics she’s probably crossed over with every other universe possible, even as yet unreleased ones.

• The Random One says:

When I read that name it was familiar, but I didn’t know any of the comics John mentioned.

BUT I DON ‘T KNOW THE ONES REDVIV MENTIONED EITHER AAAAAAAAAH

I guess I could just google her then.

• RedViv says:

I am honestly curious as to where in the world people have never heard of Wonder Woman, but still play games as treated by this site.

• The Random One says:

I know who those characters are, I just wasn’t aware of any recent series that exist. I guess it was stupid to think that DC doesn’t keep all of its big characters running constantly like a getaway driver’s car.

Disclaimer: I treat comics like games, in which I am only vaguely aware of the mainstream and spend all my time going after old stuff from the eighties and nineties and weird independent stuff. The difference if that I sometimes buy a mainstream game and don’t weep afterwards.

• RedViv says:

Ah, that clears that up then. Thanks. Yeah, obviously for an entertainment business you need to keep the big names going and going and going and going somehow. Her run on Wonder Woman in the mid-naughts was what brought me back into mainstream comics at all, so I have to thank her there.

• Zyrxil says:

Is it though? I haven’t read any of her stuff after Deadpool/Agent X, but the buzz I’ve heard is that Simone’s recent titles are generally failures, and she is unable to adapt her writing style to the needs of the characters and stories.

2. Simon Hawthorne says:

That’s a lot of snark about Tomb Raider’s plot in an article very few words!

I found the story of Tomb Raider to be Quite Good, and one of the key things that drew me into playing the game. In particular, Lara’s character was quite well fleshed out (despite the obvious, and difficult disconnect between her cutscenes and gameplay). Although by the end of the game you become a quite typical killing machine, I felt that in Tomb Raider you earnt it far more than in other games – and that even as a killing machine, Lara’s movements were frantic. It’s a small detail, but the way she scrambled for cover rather than calmly turning her back to a wall helped to sell her as a character. Plus the joy she took in uncovering artifacts helped to ground her, despite the craziness of her situation. But, each to their own!

I’m surprised that I’m quite interested in this comic, any idea if Rhianna Pratchett is involved at all?

• distantlurker says:

This is all just an excuse for Rhianna to take a jolly touring antiquities sites of the World to set up the links between the comic and the new game.

Whaddaya mean jealous? :P

• The Random One says:

Maybe Rhianna is secretly a globe-trotting secret agent, using TR as a front to solve worldcrime!

• Juan Carlo says:

I agree about the small details being what sells her in the game. The realism of her animation and movements and simple vocal cues like her cries of pain and other stuff like that gave her a kind of grounded core and vulnerability that made it way easier to swallow when you were suddenly doing absurd action movie shit like leaping through burning buildings and mowing down hundreds of soldiers.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

Absolutely – when Lara made a spectacular jump or grab or dove for cover, there was always a feeling that she only just made it. That made her all the more heroic.

• DanMan says:

Yeah. Or when she’s walking close to a wall and starts to support herself with her hand against the wall. Or when you jump into the water and she shakes her hands in a really girly way. Those little details make the character come alive.

I also feel like she became too much of a killing machine at the end with all the fatalities. I didn’t even unlock them because they felt out of place. Didn’t fit this soon in her development.

• Leb says:

I’m playing through right now and I am really enjoying all the above as well.

Lara’s panting & exhaustion and shivering really added to her character – combined with the every worried look on her face when there was some crazy stuff going on. She isn’t a static avatar – she responds to things visually and audibly as one would expect. Also: hair physics.

She has got bones made of steel though… she spends more time falling through stuff and rolling down hills than anything else… while funny at times her natural responses have me feeling quite empathetic. When I got to the first campfire in the game and its raining and Lara is shivering, cut up, and covered in dirt and about to cry – I wanted nothing more but to go put a blanket on her and give her a hug. My poor Lara :(

• XhomeB says:

The whole character arc of Lara could have worked much better if her transformation from a frightened girl to a mass murderer hadn’t been so… instant. After her first kill, she basically goes on a killing spree and none on that bloody island, Lara included, seems to care anymore. All she ever does is exchange a single sentence about it with Roth and that’s it. When they finally meet, they both don’t give a crap about anything. The island, the natives, the fact she killed someone. They don’t talk about it AT ALL, Roth immediately sends her on a freaking quest, however. It made no sense to me, it’s not how people in their situation would behave at all.

• Reefpirate says:

I finally got round to playing this game after buying it in the Steam sale… I read through some of the comments on RPS about the game before and after playing the game and I was a little horrified by what people were saying about the game.

To get it out of the way, I thought the game, the character and the story were all fantastic.

On topic here, about this sudden and ‘mysterious’ transformation into a killing machine I think it’s kind of important to remember the context.

Firstly, Lara and other survivors are assaulted by these savage cult people in a pretty brutal and initially deceptive fashion. Her first kill was on a guy that was going to do who-knows-what to her. In a context where these hundreds of bad guys are going to do you lethal and possibly tortuous harm, you’d better turn into a killing machine otherwise suffer terrible consequences. In the context in which Lara found herself I think the ‘killing spree’ was a matter of survival and Lara, after all, is a survivor.

Secondly, and this is a theme in the story, Lara ‘is a Croft’. She comes from an adventurous and swash-buckling Indiana Jones lineage. She would have heard stories about her father killing bad guys. Roth makes it pretty clear that this is a rough-and-tumble group that has been through a number of scraps where killing most certainly happened.

Lastly, it’s a video game. Not only that, it is an action-adventure video game with an action-adventure heroine. If there weren’t hundreds of bad guys to kill I would have felt a little cheated, especially with all the improvements to the combat made over previous TR games. I don’t think it’s really fair to criticize a game for conforming to its explicit genre. People act like Lara killing people is somehow subversive. If anything, Lara was being a bit subversive by being so affected by killing her first deer and her first bad guy.

Overall I thought the game was fantastic and I feel a little alienated in RPS talking about it for some reason.

• 00000 says:

The story would have been better if it wasn’t so damn sexist. Lara might not be a sex object like the other series, but this game excels and surpasses all the previous games at establishing gender roles. Quite an achievement for a game featuring a women as a one man army. Lara and Sam are two vessels full of feelings and despair, while the men are either honorable stoics, treacherous wimps or evil cultists. And as a cherry on the pie, it would of failed the reverse (but equal) Bechdel-test if Jonah hadn’t instructed Dr. Whitman on how to skin a fish.

>> Kill wolves with bare hands.
        >> Despair in absence of protagonist man.
        >> Struggle.
        >> Shiver in the cold.
        >> Kill 100 men.
        >> Plead to protagonist man.
        >> Struggle.
        >> Shiver in the cold.
        >> Kill 100 men.
        >> Feel hopeless without protagonist man.
        >> Struggle.
        >> Shiver in the cold.
        >> Kill 100 men.
        >> Overhear two men talking about a little girl.
        >> Struggle.
        >> Shiver in the cold.
        >> Repeat.

• Reefpirate says:

God forbid that Lara start off the story a bit naive and previously trained by her mentor/godfather who had the misfortune of being a man.

It seems like such a binary switch whether this is ‘sexist’ or not… Suppose Roth was a woman that Lara cared about, looked to for guidance, and felt lost without? Would that solve your sexism problem?

I thought it was a bit risky to have the relationship with Lara and Roth be so Platonic but bordering on sexual tension in a number of places. Roth, Lara and Reyes made a great triangle, I thought.

EDIT: Ah crap. Goddamn RPS comments, I can’t really tell if you were replying to my comment or not… Sorry if you weren’t.

• Muzman says:

While it’s probably right not to go to ‘sexist’ for every criticism of writing female characters, there are a few things we can probably get past pretty much instantly, I think.
            Moving female characters up from being male motivation or men in pulchritudinous female form, is laudable, but so many of such characters in fiction of all kinds then jump to absent or present daddy issues for their psychological development its embarrassing. Even when it’s done well you’re in pretty dire company.
            I would hesitate to label it sexist. I would definitely label it a tired, worn out trope.
            Games needn’t go through the same stages as pulp fiction, comics, film etc. Just skip to phase three: “Congrats, you made a complex female protagonist. Now see if you can steer clear of tired psychologies without regressing to lesser tropes! On your marks! Go!….

• 00000 says:

Even if Roth was a women, Lara would still be the only mass murderer on the island acting like a helpless child.
            Decision was made to make Lara a “believable” character. That’s the travesty that surpasses 90′s femme fatale Lara. The intentional character traits that are supposed to establish her as a woman. And there lies the dichotomy. None of the male characters ever act like victims… and they’re the ones to actually die. The only thing lacking from their hyper-masculinity was Grim sacrificing his life with a raging hard-on while whispering “It was my privilege, Lara.” with his dying breath.

Does this mean I believe that Lara’s character design is sexist on it’s own accord? No (but kinda.) I’m saying that Lara’s and Sam’s character in contrast to a pattern in male characters show clearly divided gender roles, ergo making this the most sexist game I’ve played this year.

• XhomeB says:

OK, you’re trying too hard. Seriously. :P
          I might as well come to the conclusion the writers are a bunch of racists, because the game portrays white women (Lara) as savages obsessed with murdering everyone in their path.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

-1 for trying too hard
            -100 for using ‘would of’

Priorities, you know.

• Leb says:

You have got to be shitting me

• HadToLogin says:

Could be worse. We could have Laurent instead of Lara and bunch of Amazons trying to sacrifice male-Sam (no need to change name) to some ancient evil.

• ninjafury says:

Really?I’m really surprised about the amount of people disliking this game.Must just be the PC gamers?I own a ps3 and a gaming PC i love both.I do not see what the problem is with this game?To me it seems like everyone is just looking for a reason to hate it.I loved the story.I have to say it was much better then Crysis 3.Which is always just SHOOT GO INVISIBLE SHOOT GO INVISIBLE RINSE REPEAT.The graphics on TR are freakin amazing.Almost next gen on this gen hardware.TR was a sexiest game?Come on people grow up a women is naturally more emotional them most men stop being so dang PC grow a pair.If i had to rank the game i would give it a 9/10.

3. Dominic White says:

‘Mediocre sales’ being ‘In the millions, but below Sqeenix’s insane target figures’.

Still, good to know that there’s going to be a sequel. Hopefully with the origin story worked out, it can be more open-world and exploration/puzzle-focused than the last one, as the early designs for the game were.

4. Screwie says:

I love the fact that it’s Gail Simone working on this. You could not ask for a better talent to complement what Rhianna Pratchet has already done (and hopefully will continue to be doing) for the character.

5. lowprices says:

Gail Simone? Colour me interested. Her work on Batgirl is about the only New 52 stuff I’m interested in (besides Batwoman). I actually enjoyed what little story Tomb Raider had. It was just a shame the side characters were never given enough time to develop beyond stereotypes.

• Juan Carlo says:

I liked “Tomb Raider” way more than I thought I would mostly just because the new Lara Croft is such a great character, but I agree that the companions were its worst part. They would have had way more impact on the story had all but the most necessary ones to the plot (i.e. sacrifice girl and old grizzled mentor guy) been killed off in the first act.

• RedViv says:

Now, now, how then would you explain that they are alive in the absolutely necessary multiplayer?

• Reefpirate says:

You could at least be accurate with your criticism of the story… Several other characters survive the first act. I was surprised how many characters survived into the third act and even after the ending.

SPOILERS:

I was certain the big Hawaiian cook guy would be dead somewhere in the middle but he survives the whole ordeal. Alex is alive until the end of Act 2, Whitman doesn’t die until well into the Third Act. Maybe I’m dividing the Acts incorrectly or in different ways compared to you, but overall I thought the friends of Lara were all pretty excellent.

I particularly liked how Reyes starts to turn on Lara in a very harsh way. People complain about Lara’s killing spree, but there’s no denying that she suffers for the loss of her friends due to blaming herself.

• lowprices says:

Erm, actually he said that they would have had more of an impact if they HAD died. He wasn’t claiming they did die.

6. Ysellian says:

You know when a publisher has lost the plot when a game selling 3.4 million copies in it’s first month is mediocre sales.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m sure they need thousands of sales just to pay for the cost of that optional hair animation effect. Important AAA features like that aren’t cheap, ‘ya know!

• Shuck says:

Their expectation for sales was based on the sales numbers for the previous Tomb Raider games (so the expectation was actually pretty reasonable). Given that the development costs for this one were orders of magnitude higher, they needed those kinds of sales to get a decent profit. When you’re spending $125 million plus on development and marketing, five million sales are needed just to break even. And that’s just what AAA games costs these days, given all the high-quality assets required to make it (of which the hair physics is a very, very small part). This is why the number of studios doing AAA games has dropped by about 80% in recent years, and why that number will be reduced even more in the near future.

7. Ajh says:

She did admit that she agreed to write it after she started playing the game and really loved it.

8. Keyrock says:

I don’t care one way or another whether they make a Tomb Raider comic. I also don’t care if they ever make another game as I HATED the reboot, or as I like to call it the Lara Croft Murder Simulator. I’m done with the series in any medium.

• Reefpirate says:

So you’re saying Lara Croft never murdered anyone before this game? The body count might have been a bit higher, but she used automatic weapons on human enemies a whole bunch of times in all the Tomb Raider games I’ve ever played.

• Keyrock says:

And I thought there was too much of it in those games too, they just took it to an extreme here.

I hated the combat in the earlier games, but at least it was a relatively small part of those games, something I begrudgingly dealt with so I could get back to the enjoyable puzzle platforming that was the core of those games. An ideal Tomb Raider game for me would feature ZERO combat, it would be comprised entirely of exploration, puzzle platforming, and action sequences where I try to escape dastardly traps. In Lara Croft Murder Simulator the combat is the core of the game and the puzzle platforming is an afterthought. It’s a solid cover shooter (there are certainly better), but that’s all it is. They dressed it up with a bit of childishly easy platforming so they could pretend it’s a Tomb Raider game.

9. XhomeB says:

They need to hire new writers for the sequel to that reboot.
    TR’s writing was so laughably bad (and not in a “it’s so bad it’s good” kind of way) I honestly felt like quitting the game halfway through. Cartoonish villains, nonsensical dialogues, horribly portrayed, cardboard cut-out characters – it was all a bit a bit too much for me to handle. Funny that they screwed up things that Uncharted, for example, handled so well.

By the way, I loved it how they unintentionally made Lara almost offensively dense. I can’t imagine anyone not seeing “the twists and big reveals” a mile away, so it was pretty jarring watching Ms Croft being completely clueless in that regard until the final act of the game. :P

The idea behind the story was good, its execution however… Ugh.

• Reefpirate says:

SPOILERS:

Uncharted was probably better writing, but I think it’s a bit extreme to call TR trash in comparison.

And if you’re talking about the Whitman twist, it’s part of the plot that Lara is aware of this way ahead of time. There’s a number of confrontations where she’s suspicious of him, hence Reyes saying something to the effect ‘you were right about Whitman’ after the reveal.

• XhomeB says:

Whitman felt like a character straight out of a bad anime show, I wish he wasn’t in the game at all, but no, not “THAT” twist. What I had in mind was the main theme of the plot – without spoiling anything, Himiko and stuff. Lara knows absolutely everything approximately halfway through the game to draw all the necessary, painfully obvious conclusions, yet still acts like she has no idea what the island’s mystery is all about. I was like “WTF Lara, it’s obvious that *SPOILERS*, you should know this already, it was written in *SPOILERS* and said during that cutscene in *SPOILERS* in black and white, it’s not rocket science, even a baby would have figured that out long ago, when will YOU?”.

The story is really simplistic – to make matters worse, they basically revealed everything halfway through. But for some reason, it takes the entire game for Lara to piece all the ridiculously obvious hints together. It’s actually hilarious that Crystal Dynamics advertised her as “smart and resourceful”, yet she’s anything but.

• HadToLogin says:

That’s not fair. It was easy for YOU to figure that out because you played game and expected this kind of stuff. But Lara doesn’t play game, she is living in real world trying to fight off crazy lunatics, never experiencing that kind of stuff before.

When door suddenly closes behind you, do you scream “f-ing ghosts” or “f-ing wind”?

• XhomeB says:

You must be joking. It’s Lara who is convinced “there’s more to this island that meets the eye”, she’s the one trying to uncover its secret. The events she participates in give her all the necessary clues, yet she still has trouble coming to the conclusion 2+2=4 until one of the very last cutscenes, when she presents the obvious thing as some kind of revelation meant to shock the player (cue dramatic music). It makes her look STUPID, and I don’t think that was the writers’ intention.

• HadToLogin says:

Well, while I knew what will happen I found that game tries to make you think “maybe it’s just some big magnet” or some other crazy-army-experiment.

Only moment when game is showing crazy-powers in working outside of very end is Japanese voice destroying plane (and maybe run away from that big thingie, but it probably could be explained logically too – some unknown animal or something…).

But you’re right, they should have made it less obvious, or at least put some weird theories in Lara mouth (like that big magnet), because that big reveal looked weak.

Just wiki-checked – in 6th Lara’s Journal she knows the truth. But she just doesn’t believe it.

• KenTWOu says:

@XhomeB

They need to hire new writers…

You’re completely naive if you think that this will help them to make the next game better. This isn’t Hollywood, game writers don’t have the same impact on game story and overall quality. If you read RPS article where Cara Ellison interviewed Rhianna Pratchett, you’ll understand it. Although, I agree with you, they should make the secret slightly less obvious.

10. jonahcutter says:

Shallow, repetitive, unimaginative and boring. Writing and gameplay. I wonder, in the next game, which will we spend more time doing:

Killing dozens of dudes with shotguns and climbing picks (while refusing to wear a coat over our halter top in a snowstorm) in an effort to rescue our straight out of central casting friends…

or exploring ancient ruins in puzzle-based gameplay?

Hell, I’d be happy just to have more time spent tomb raiding, than killing non-threatening bunnies and deer.

I bought the game on sale and uninstalled it part way through, it got so boring and un-Tomb Raider-like.

The best thing the Tomb Raider reboot did was have Lara not dive-roll when dodging attacks. She did a cool crouch-scoot animation that looked like something an actual person would do.

• Keyrock says:

Yeah, that’s what pissed me off about the game too. They took the part I hated from the old Tomb Raider games, the combat, and centered the game around that. Admittedly the combat in the Lara Croft Murder Simulator is better than any previous game in the series (not a difficult task), but that doesn’t change the fact that they took the worst part of the earlier games and added a ****ton more of it. Meanwhile, the part of the earlier games that was actually fun, puzzle platforming, was reduced to an afterthought. All the platforming was childishly easy and was just slapped onto the game so they could slap the Tomb Raider title on this cover shooter. Puzzles… there were maybe 4 or 5 of them in the entire game, were so simple that it was insulting. Every time the game would open up and start letting you have something resembling fun with some ridiculously easy platforming they would throw 20 more goons for you to murder. I mean, they could at least have made the platforming and puzzles in the optional tombs (how ****ing sad is it that raiding tombs is OPTIONAL in a game called Tomb ****ing Raider) challenging, but those basically consisted of 1 laughably easy puzzle and about 3 simple jumps. The game was a joke.

• XhomeB says:

Granted, the combat system they’ve put in place is easily the best in the series, but I agree making the game revolve around it was a huge mistake.
        I got tired of endless combat encounters very quickly, that’s not what Tomb Raider used to be about.

• AlwaysRight says:

I have to say I agree on all these points. I’m not one to snark in the comments section, I prefer to praise something for it’s strengths not decry it for its failings, but I found this game to be utterly utterly boring.

Especially its contrived drama, every rickety gantry or plane wreck that falls away (or explodes) the second you step off it was a nail in it’s predictable grey joyless coffin.

The story was bobbins too, and totally at odds with the gameplay. The story is telling me that I’m in a survival environment and killing is a horrific and bad thing, but the gameplay then makes me have to shoot the faces off 50 guys with nearly unlimited ammo.

Also nearly every ‘rpg style’ skill only makes you more efficient at getting more skill points. Its like playing a fruit machine where all you win is more plastic tokens to put back in the machine.

Bobbins

• Cleave says:

Fruit machines pretty much work like that don’t they? Except you win metal tokens to put back into the machine instead,

• AlwaysRight says:

I assume you’re joking but my point is that your not playing a fruit machine for the fun of playing it, you’re playing it to get reward. Similarly you don’t grind for experience points in a game just so you can get more experience points.

• Xocrates says:

The new Tomb Raider is a weird game in that regard, because it gets increasingly tomb-raider-ish as it goes on, and appears to be doing so purposely.

Mind you, this does not change the fact that it’s a bloated mess of a game that’s a shining example of everything wrong in the industry today, but Crystal Dynamics has shown in the past that they do get what Tomb Raider is all about, and they seem to be setting up to take the series back to that.

The game feels split into three very distinct parts: it starts with a story driven approach – trying to make Lara relevant again, continue into a shooting act to keep the COD crowd happy, and in the third act bring puzzles back into the main game (as opposed to optional tombs) fully establishing the game, not as Tomb Raider, but as a Tomb Raider precursor.

This is not a game I would recommend to Tomb Raider fans, but it is a game that gave me hope for the sequels. I fully expect them to pull another TR: Legend and go much more traditional by then.

• Keyrock says:

The problem is that none of the platforming or puzzles, even once they did appear, were the least bit challenging, in fact, most of them were so simple that it was insulting. Plus, as soon as I got into a platforming groove and started having the least bit of fun, the game would toss me into another situation where I had to murder dozens of goons. There is always way too much combat in the game, even in the later stages.

• Xocrates says:

Hence the term: “Tomb Raider precursor”

No, the game never becomes a proper Tomb Raider game, but does plant the seeds that may lead to one.

Whether those seeds will ever be able to sprout is a different matter.

11. Zenicetus says:

(Reply fail: meant to reply to jonahcutter above)

That was my take on it too. I quit the game about halfway through, after seeing just one too many manshoot galleries. The constant Quicktime events and mini cutscenes didn’t help, or the boring single-puzzle dungeons. But it was finally the way the game kept throwing me into a closed arena with waves of copy-paste enemies that made me give up. It’s just mindless filler, to pad out the number of hours to complete the game, even if it doesn’t fit Lara’s character at all.

The next Tomb Raider game needs less combat filler, and more dangerous/tricky tomb exploring. And get rid of the damned QTE’s.

• Reefpirate says:

Any challenge you put in a game is going to be ‘filler’, whether it’s combat or puzzles so I don’t understand what you’re saying there…

But the question of emphasis is probably the best criticism of the game I’ve heard so far. Personally, I liked the emphasis on the man-shooting more. I did feel like some of the puzzles were a little easy, but I also remember starting one of the puzzles and thinking ‘oh god, how long is this going to take before I can progress’ but then being relieved when it was a fairly simple solution.

Perhaps they should have marketed it as more action than the name would imply, but overall I think this is my favorite Tomb Raider of them all.

• Cleave says:

I thought the combat was well done but it did drag on towards the end of the game. I think I’m the opposite to you, whenever a combat encounter started my thought was pretty much ‘oh god, how long is this going to take before I can progress’ and I was very disappointed with the length of the tombs. The only half decent one was the free DLC one with the plane and even that was very straightforward. Some of the others actually had a decent puzzle but literally only one..

Tomb Raider Underworld is by far the best Crystal Dynamics have done.

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, but if combat is the required game-extending filler (instead of, I dunno…. actually raiding tombs), then why not make it more interesting?

By the mid-game when Lara gets skilled and weaponed-up and becomes the Death Angel, all I was doing was a boring sequence of firing flame arrows at more distant enemies, and giving a quick axe to the face for the guys who flew in close on zip lines. Over and over, rinse and repeat. I kept upgrading guns, but didn’t have any reason to use them. Maybe it gets better later in the game, but I just didn’t have the patience to find out.

Combat, by itself, is not a good enough hook to carry a game for me. Especially when it’s this predictable. I had the same problem with Bioshock Infinite’s shooting gallery areas, but I managed to finish the game because the vigors added some secondary combat tactics, and the setting was more interesting.

12. Cleave says:

Cool, now how about some tomb raiding to go with your tomb raider game?

13. granderojo says:

I personally think the writing is bad so far in Tomb Raider (just finished the tower). I think the theme and the setting and the overall vibe amazing but the actual written parts seem super hammy and phoned in. Hopefully this property and the sequel has a new writer.

14. Wedge says:

I don’t think I can push myself to finish the current one to get to the comic. Which is a shame, there’s clearly a lot of potential here, they still have the capacity for lots of physics based puzzles a and very nicely flowing movement system. They just barely ever make any use of it, and mostly fill the game with lots of braindead man-shooting and hold-button-to-advance cutscenes.

Also the fancy hair bit made me laugh because no matter how dirty and bloody she gets, with that on, her hair is always showery fresh and flowing.

15. Borealis says:

Personally, I rather enjoyed the game despite it’s shortcomings. The biggest complaint most everybody has (I share it too) was the emphasis on combat over exploration and puzzle solving. IMHO that is a result of shoe-horning the multi-player aspect into the game. I feel that is the biggest sin in the game that throws off the single-player game. Still, even the earlier games had quite a bit of combat (Legends anyone?) Another problem I had is how all you had to do was hide for 10 seconds or so and you were completely healed. There was no incentive not to charge in guns blazing and not worry about how badly you were hit…

Another complaint I had is they introduced several interesting… abilities? The scramble up the slope dodging debris and the chimney climb for example. They used those once and then you never see them again.

I also agree the supporting characters were one-dimensional, but how is that different from the earlier games? (Zip, Alister, I’m talking about you.)

Despite the games shortcomings, I still really enjoyed it. I’m hoping the Devs learn from their mistakes and create a much better game involving more tomb raiding and puzzle solving than killing all of the cultists on the island next time.