Behold Studios Kickstart Chroma Squad

By Cara Ellison on July 25th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

MIGHTY MORPHIN CHROMA RANGERSSSS

Behold Studios, the dudes behind Knights of Pen and Paper, are kickstarting Chroma Squad, a game where you get to play as the MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS in true Japanese arcade style. A game of “manager, tactical turn-based, meta-game, pixel art fun” they say? It looks adorable. I am in.

Our game is based on 90′s Tokusatsu TV series, like “Power Rangers”, “Changeman” or… “Captain Planet And The Planeteers”. Yep, any group of 3 or 5, each with different powers, whose union makes a special weapon appear to defeat their enemies. In this case, Captain Planet himself.

Captain Planet! Omigosh I loved Captain Planet. He was a hero. He tried to take pollution down to zero (although clearly failed, he was Bush era though so we can let him off).

The team is building a game where you can hire and customize your actors, who are taking the roles of your favourite Power Ranger (Mine was the Green Power Ranger obviously. Did you ever see the Japanese incarnations of which there were many? He always had the coolest stuff. I was also shocked to learn that some incarnations of the Pink Ranger had a miniskirt. How do you do roundhouses in a miniskirt?!?!?! Silly Japan.) You can then select skills and make your own build of abilities. Each color has its own skill tree of possibilities.

Equipment for your studio, such as cameras, microphones, chromakey carpets and lights to improve your gameplay experience will be available, and you can record episodes and complete seasons.

“Each episode is a mix between tactical turn-based battles, with tons of dialogues, and explosive cinematics.”

Looking through the list of features in the game, I came across this:

Create channels and improve your marketing campaigns, sending letters to your fans’ mailboxes, chatting on IRC, going to conventions, and releasing comic books.

IRC. !!!!!!

You can find the Kickstarter here – they’re already quite a bit in to winning the Kickstarter. They must have been practicing.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. trankzen says:

There goes my putative game dev project.

2. kwyjibo says:

Captain Planet was shit. I think even as a kid I found the overt propaganda tiresome.

Do the Turtles need an excuse to cut people up? No they don’t, they beat the crap out of people and then have pizza. At no point does Splinter harangue the audience for littering.

• Keyrock says:

Don’t you dare speak ill of Captain Planet. He taught us that there were 5 elements: Water, wind, earth, fire, and heart. HEART.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Pft. Everyone knows that the fifth one is Milla Jovovich.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Look to the skies my friend… Any minute now your reward for this comment shall arrive.

As a kid I tended to judge cartoons by their lunchboxes, and I never saw a cool captain planet lunchbox. They were always the ones that were just a normal lunchbox with a sticker on one side.

• Captain Joyless says:

oh, really?

WHERE ARE YOU TURTLES NOW, BROWNSHIRT

• Unrein says:

Considering the latest news about the North Pole, colony collapse disorder and the Halliburton oil leak court case, I think we’re living in a Captain Planet cartoon now. Except there’s no rings, no Captain Planet and no Gaia and we are all gonna die on a shit-stinking molten industrial waste heap.

3. The_Hunter says:

That’s so meta I just lost two pounds…

4. BurningPet says:

God, i never understood nor liked power rangers, even as a kid who really loved super heroes and stupid action cartoons.

The evil boss send the clay men to wreck havoc, a single power ranger comes and beat them up. then the boss sends a monster that kicks the ass out of the power ranger. he calls his friends, they beat the monster up. the boss then enlarge the monster with a laser beam to kick the power rangers. then they do some power combine gadgetry and save the day. EVERY SINGLE EPISODE IT WAS THE SAME EXACT THING.

Why the hell that stupid boss never sent several monsters and enlarged them instantly in the first place to kill the power rangers while they were alone? why waste the clay men or give them the chance to regroup?!

That was probably the only show i was rooting for the bad guys. every time i watched it, i kept hoping maybe this time evil will win and the power rangers would all get brutally murdered.

• Drake Sigar says:

My favourite part was when they destroyed half the city in a giant monster battle and by the next episode everything was rebuilt. I think Rita is in Groundhog day. To be fair to her, she did summon a whole heap of monsters once or twice (though by this time the rangers could take them all 1 v 1 because they leveled up I guess) and occasionally there were plans to isolate a power ranger from the group.

• The Random One says:

I think what you described did happen once in a season finale.

The bad guys lost.

• bchan009 says:

It’s a kid’s show! For super young kids!

Most kids shows are repetitive and are the SAME THING every time. Blues Clues, Sesame Street, Barney, Captain Planet, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, etc etc.

Don’t hate! D:

5. Jeremy says:

Today, I discovered that Captain Planet had a villain named Duke Nukem before Duke Nukem existed in a video game. Weird.

6. wodin says:

Battle of the Planets and Ulysses 31 where my top cartoons when I was a kid.

7. Jimbo says:

Just turn into the big robot thing at the start, Power Idiots!

8. Branthog says:

I suspect I’m at least about fifteen years beyond the age-group this would appeal to, but it does look cute.

9. Captain Joyless says:

Bush era?!? BUSH ERA!??!?!

Bush the Elder lost the election in ’92, and was succeeded by Clinton who held office from ’93 to 2000. Clinton, in turn, was succeeded by Bush the Younger.

Captain Planet was on TV from ’90 to ’96!!! BARELY EVEN BUSH 1.0 ERA!!! GOSH CARA ITS LIKE YOUR NOT EVEN AMERICAN

10. Captain Joyless says:

Also, the current pink ranger:

Skirts are the thing these days, even for American pink rangers, I guess.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Well the American Morphin’ Power Rangers show is just re-using the Japanese footage, so they need to have the same costumes.

11. The Random One says:

I at first thought it was strange Cara didn’t take the opportunity to make a pun out of such easily punnable studio and game names, but I now think she’s going for something subtler. That headline has some sort of “the horse raced past the barn fell” vibe.

OT: WOOOOW @________@ *________*

12. Shooop says:

Another turn-based pixel-based game. Yep this’ll have all the terminal nostalgia-sufferers squealing like teen girls at a boy band concert.

13. KirbyEvan says:

Normally I’d be all over this, but considering how mediocre pen and paper was I can’t help but be disappointed.

14. cpt_freakout says:

BEHOLD: OPTIC BLAST

15. Snoken says:

I prefer the new and improved Captain Planet who goes berserk. http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5876f2aced/don-cheadle-is-captain-planet

16. SgtStens says:

As a parent of three boys ages 10,7, and almost 6, I would be completely remiss in my fatherly duties if I didn’t back this. I have probably watched about ten kajillion (est.) hours of Power Rangers in all of their various incarnations (thank you, Netflix). I was in late middle school when the original MIghty Morphin hit its heyday in the US; so I didn’t much care for it back then. I could be critical of it, but I have so much fun playing and watching with my kids that it’d be too much fun to have our own team. We all have our own designated colors (I’m the black ranger).

And I bought Knights of Pen and Paper, and enjoyed it, even if the gameplay didn’t have much depth, I thought the personality and nerd jokes were worth $2. If they can provide a bit more complexity of play and keep the tongue firmly planted in cheek with the story and atmosphere, I’d snap this up.

Also, when P&P upgraded to the +1 version I noticed a Paradox splash screen. I wonder why they don’t publish this one too? I would think even without the Power Ranger license this would be an easy sell on the mobile markets.

Oh, and Captain Planet was the worst crap on TV during the 90s. Even as a kid I could smell the eco-propaganda.