Indie Royale & Indie Gamer Chick Make A Bundle

By John Walker on July 25th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

The latest Indie Royale Bundle is an interesting one. It’s curated by Indie Gamer Chick, and contains eight games that originated from the Xbox’s Xbox Live Indie Games. As anyone who’s ever wandered into that store will have noticed, it’s not easy to find the gems amongst the MS-Paint-scrawled madness. Which is why IGC has been reviewing them on her site for a while now, highlighting the highlights. This bundle is eight of the best that have now been ported to PC, so there’s a good chance they’re games you’ll have missed. They’re certainly games I’ve missed.

In the pile are the more known Dead Pixels, LaserCat and Orbitron: Revolution. And joining them are Chester, Antipole, Smooth Operators: Call Center Chaos, Little Racers STREET, and SpyLeaks. The whole lot currently costing just £2.76, which seems rather a bargain.

, , , , , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Shadrach says:

Linky Link would be appreciated, but I am sure I can google it ;)

2. Alien426 says:

Too much overlap. “Dead Pixels” and “Smooth Operators” were in the Retro Groupee (http://groupees.com/retro) bundle. “Little Racers Street” was in Build A Greenlight Bundle 2 (http://groupees.com/bagb2). I’d be interested in “Orbitron: Revolution”, but that might turn up in another bundle some time…

• wu wei says:

Yeah, no way I’m wasting $1.80 on 3 games I already own! *cough*

3. trjp says:

Chester is a lovely idea but the controls simply can’t deal with the difficulty curve (which is all over the place).

You know that feeling you get in SMB that, no matter how hard it gets, it’s your fault that you died?

Chester doesn’t have that…

jrodman says:

Odd, I never felt that way about Super Mario Brothers. The floaty control scheme and the capricous points where the enemies appeared seemed like memorization was a required element of play.

That, and you can get power ups that let you survive a hit (thanks!) but then there’s a ton of instant deaths from falling off the bottom of the screen (no thanks!)

• Pliqu3011 says:

I’m pretty sure he meant Super Meat Boy.

jrodman says:

I have two thoughts.

1 – Mario so owns that acronym.

2 – Screw that other game so hard. I hate it in every possible way.

• InnerPartisan says:

My oh my, aren’t we all edgy and controversial.

“Floaty control scheme”? Bitch, please!

4. The First Door says:

Does anyone know if Little Racers STREET has offline multiplayer? I’ve been craving a new Micro Machines-esque game to play with friends, but most of the ones I’ve tried have been a little… well… crap.

• Alien426 says:

Judging by the Desura page (http://www.desura.com/games/little-racers-street), it seems to be online only. But a user mentions a VPN tool (“Tungle”) that appears to enable LAN play…

• The First Door says:

Ah, thanks for the link!

LAN doesn’t really cut it though when people come to visit, so I’ll have to continue looking.

• Baines says:

Yeah, the lack of offline is why my friends and I never touched the XBox version.

I later got the PC version in some free offer, then got it again in a Bundle, and I’ve never even installed it. Without local multiplayer, there just isn’t much point.

5. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

YES, Laser Cat! Get it for Laser Cat! It’s a hilarious little relaxing Metroidvania game where a cat rescues its buddy, an owl.

I have fond memories of it, because last year, when I broke my foot and had to spend a few days in the hospital this helped me through some hot and snore-induced sleepless nights.

6. Sardonic says:

Looks like a bunch of shovelware to me at first blush.

• The Random One says:

I think that’s the point – those games look like shovelware and are surrounded by shovelware, but aren’t.

• Liudeius says:

Traditionally, that’s what Indie Royal is. I haven’t bought any of their packages since I realized the trend, but they sell one good indie game, and group it with a ton of awful games you shouldn’t waste your time on.
      (Like the “Team Charlie” space shooters they included in one of there bundles, utter trash which I could do and have done better than with Gamemaker.)

7. hitnrun says:

I am absolutely outraged at the absence of Techno Kitten Adventure.

8. piecewise says:

Not sure who this Indie Gamer Chick person or website is, but they have horrible taste. We’ve got:

3 indie platformers. Honestly, this genre needs to die. The whole indie scene is so saturated with platformers that any shallow gimmick these games have isn’t enough to make them worth downloading, let alone paying for, regardless of how cheap.

Zombie shooter: Oh dear lord, a 2.5 d sidescroller where you shoot zombies! All of the startling unoriginality of zombies, now packaged in lazy gameplay.

Side scrolling space shooter: Not like there aren’t 60 million of these.

Top down racing: This one you don’t see much of. Probably because it takes the genre of racing- a genre that is all about the excitement of feeling like you’re in the driver seat, taking turns at 120 miles an hour, struggling for position- and takes you as far out of it as possible. Might as well show me a video of someone skydiving and expect me to get just as excited as if I actually did it myself.

Puzzle game: Eh, might be good. I dunno, never played it.

Simulation game about managing a call center: Oh good. I don’t get enough unsolicited advertisement calls already. Please let me control the call center in what I’m sure is a “wacky” fashion.

Really, I can’t blame indie gamer chick or whoever did this; indie bundles have been getting increasingly terrible. We live in an age where someone can fart out a Twine game about nothing, saying nothing, but filled with pretentiousness, and have it end up here. Quality control guys, have some self respect.

Aerothorn says:

Speaking of farting, have you actually played any of these games, or are you just blowing hot air out your ass?

• frightlever says:

I share his hatred of indie platformers – platformers in general actually, but I have played Dead Pixels. It’s fun for half an hour then it gets pretty grindy and samey. Even outside of a bundle it’s always been cheap so I can forgive it that. That said, Survivor Squad is my low-fi zombie killing game of choice right now. I’ve heard it described as the Zombie apocalypse version of FTL. Granted, it was me saying it.

Oh, and there has never been a better age to live in if bundles are important to you. We may look back on these halcyon days and ruefully shake our heads for neglecting to recognise how good we had it.

• KDR_11k says:

What exactly could a bundle include that isn’t in a genre with hundreds of games in it?

• Jenks says:

You should have checked out the Humble THQ Bundle, that was full of awesome indie games. Also EA has run an indie bundle, it was amazing. Who wants to play all these crappy indie games? Some of these projects are so bad that they seem like they have less than 25 people working on them, it’s absurd to think this kind of thing will fly.

• magikmw says:

I hope you’re joking. Amount of developers working on a game says nothing. Many exceptional games has been done by teams of 5, 2 or even by just one person.
        I actually agree about the THQ and EA bundles.

9. Liudeius says:

I was wondering why they were suggesting normal indie games were “gamer chick” games. I didn’t realize there was some website/group named gamer chick.

Oh look, I already have Laser Cat and Dead Pixels from one of their previous bundles. That clears out the games I’m interested in.

10. frightlever says:

Well, there’s also a Positech Humble Weekly Bundle out today and an “interesting” Groupee’s RPG bundle at the minute that includes Vox (so not Cubeworld yet…) and Reef Shot. Another 7-8 games I’ll never get around to playing.