FEAR Going FEARee-To-Play With FEAR Online

By Nathan Grayson on July 26th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

'We think what'll really set our game apart is the fact that everyone's always on fire.'

For being couched in so many specific characters and mythos, FEAR has become a bizarrely well-traveled series. First it started at Monolith, then TimeGate developed a bunch of expansions – only for Monolith to completely ignore those adventures in slow-mo and mediocrity with FEAR 2. After that, the series crept up on Day 1 Studios without ever actually moving its feet how did it do that, and Fuh-three-arrrr was born/about birth. And now Korean developer Inplay Interactive is taking the reins for a free-to-play multiplayer spin-off. Sounds like FEAR’s real fear is one of commitment hahaha welp time to hang myself.

Looks, well, pretty much like another FEAR game. And, despite yet another developer switcheroo, it aims to pick up right where the series left off. Well, sort of.

“The story also continues in cooperative scenarios that detail the terrifying occurrences surrounding the F.E.A.R. team parallel to the events of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. Up to four players can team up and fight for their lives against both hostile Armacham personnel and hideous monsters lurking around every corner.”

“F.E.A.R. Online will focus on several team combat modes spanning over ten ominous maps packed with grotesque details such as still-twitching bodies hanging from meat hooks and messages smeared in blood. The battle rages between Armacham Technology Corporation (ATC) and the elite F.E.A.R. team. F.E.A.R. 3’s unique Soul King mode also makes a return, challenging players to possess enemies for new abilities and collect more fallen souls than their opponents.”

So the story’s tied into FEAR 2, but modes dip their skeletal, cracking toes into a bigger pool of influences. And blood.

A closed beta test is due to kick off sometime soon, and you can sign up right now if your trigger finger/face-seeking slow-mo knee is feeling itchy. Do you plan to? I mean, it all sounds nice enough, but I must admit that I don’t have much experience with FEAR multiplayer. I’ve heard tell that F3AR’s co-op is quite interesting, but this sounds like a rather different sort of animal. And then of course, it is free-to-play. Who knows how that side of things will turn out. Are you still interested, RPS reader howling ghost mass?

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. hamster says:

Similarly, the multi-player mode of FEAR 1 became free to play some time ago (“Fear Combat”). No micro-transactions or stores of any sort though – it’s just free to play.

• MarcP says:

Didn’t they nuke the servers recently? Or is it just the master serverlist? Anyway, yeah, even if I were interested in MP I can’t see myself playing an unknown korean pay-to-win over an actual free-to-play game that was good fun.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

Just signed in to say don’t support this garbage, support the community who kept the FEAR MP going after all this time. fear-community.org/downloads/

• akstro says:

So I wasnt going crazy thinking there was already a multiplayer F2P FEAR? Thats good then. Cant remember much of it though since it was so long ago. Whats concerning here is: why this franchise? Its not like FEAR’s setting is unique in anyway that it sets itself to become multiplayer.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

CAUTION: DANGER OF DEATH
    They’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel for environmental scares, aren’t they?

• BobbyDylan says:

The game must be set in the London Underground then. I see those signs every day. Though admittedly, they seem to take their commuting more seriously than I do.,

lowprices says:

Death doesn’t scare you? These signs are designed to instil a creeping sense of existential dread, reminding us all of our own impending mortality.

Unless you pay for the upgrade pack, in which case the signs are replaced with a picture of boobs.

3. BobbyDylan says:

Oh look. Another F2P game that’s going to fail.

• bstard says:

It cant be the story, which is uncomprehensible, so it must be artistic and great. Wtf, the Soul King, lol.

RedViv says:

“Hey, another FEAR game.” – “Meh, I don’t think it’s going to ever be terrifying again.” – “But it’s free-to-play multiplayer!” – “KYAAAAAAAAAAH!”

5. Crosmando says:

Jesus, these suits really have no imagination do they, I shudder to think about the brain that this idea came from.

6. Alexrd says:

What about bringing back F.E.A.R. Combat instead of the crap that followed?

7. dufake says:

Our 4.E.A.R. had became truth. What is Monolith doing now?

8. Archipelagos says:

And one of the biggest misnomers in gaming continues doing what it does best.

9. DaftPunk says:

Why are there scenes from FEAR 2 and 3 in the trailer,this is just pathetic..One of the best fps games (First FEAR) and look what have they done with the series,but to be honest it went to shit after first game.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Every time I hear FEAR mentioned I get THAT music in my head!

FEAR 2 was a GREAT game, the last of the good old school shooters, it was on the cusp. You could flick stuff to create cover but it didn’t have cover mechanics.

It was a polished game with good gameplay and nice graphics, like I say last of the line!

FEAR 3 however!

10. MeestaNob says:

There’s no one on the planet who is interested in this game.

11. haradaya says:

The true star of the first F.E.A.R. was the AI. Not combining fps shooting with scares. Augh.
    Once the AI and tactical elements disappeared from the series (see F.E.A.R. 2), so did my interest in ever checking out the franchise again.

Malibu Stacey says:

The AI & the gun which would pin bodies to the walls when you killed enemies with it.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Penetrateher, had to be removed from FEAR 2 as depleted uranium got a bad press after Gulf War Syndrome hit the news :o/

12. zarnywoop says:

After No One Lives For Ever games, Condemned and F.E.A.R. I used to think Monolith were a up there with the likes of Valve et al. I know that FEAR was considered a bit dull and repetitive, but I really enjoyed the stark levels and as mentioned the fun AI, coupled with the music and Slo-mo game play sliding into enemy soldiers before popping them with lead.

FEAR 2 was a bit of a let down as it became too much of a playground fps, and well FEAR 3, I just didn’t bother. To be fair to Monolith, it didn’t help that they lost the rights to the naming etc and other studios picking up the games and therefore the change in characters and plot, it could have been something else.

• dufake says:

My concern is how much influences are made from the publishers.I love Condemned too.