Klei’s Incognita Steps From The Shadow

By Jim Rossignol on July 29th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

We’re not shy about admitting that Incognita has us intrigued. Klei’s turn-based stealth and espionage game looks like it could be a rare addition to the turn-based corporate-burglary genre, and it’s been shown off the first time in a livestream, which you can watch (not live, obviously) below. The in-game action begins at about eight minutes in. Permadeath! Lovely! That’s a strange thing to be pleased about.

Games are weird.

There’s apparently a beta scheduled for the game later this summer.

, .

1. Choca says:

This is one of my most anticipated games. The Klei guys are on a roll.

• RedViv says:

And what a roll it is. Have they actually made a not-good game yet?

• lordcooper says:

Shank bored the shit out of me. All the rest are good though.

• redredredguy says:

Shank and Shank 2 were just first attempts, though. Mark of the Ninja put that visual style to FAR better use.

• darkmorgado says:

Seconded. Found Shank incredibly tedious.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Never tried the first one but I was immidately put off by Shank 2. The movement feels very restricted and the game throws tons of enemies and projectiles at you that you then have to dodge and block with industrial precision. Not fun.

As was said, MotN really channelled their ideas in a much more enjoyable way. This is looking interesting to be sure.

• darkmorgado says:

It was pretty much just a typical side-scrolling shooter, not very different from Contra, Metal Slug, etc etc.

• Sharza says:

I really enjoyed Shank a lot but that may have to do with me playing it in coop with friends. Coop with friends is always more fun. On the other hand I didn’t like Shank 2 at all.

Apart from that I liked all of the other Klei games and the way they interact with their playerbase. This new one seems interesting and fun to me.

• S Jay says:

wasn’t shank a “only for money stuff that we need to make really fast”?

• squareking says:

Just moved up on my list. Dig the TF2-esque alterno-50s clean art style, too. Seems like they might be prepping this for phones.

• XhomeB says:

They’ve certainly improved in their field a lot since Shanks. Mark of the Ninja and Don’t Starve were fantastic, Incognita has jumped right to the top of my “most wanted” list.

I hope they’ll release it on GOG, has there been any news on that front?

2. Renfield says:

Looks thoroughly confident in execution (pun ostensibly unintended). Klei really is going from strength to strength these days, as a studio.

3. Igor Hardy says:

I’ve missed you, Lewton!

4. ran93r says:

Klei are doing really nice things, I suspect this will also be really nice.

5. Timmeister says:

Looks like a stealth version of Shadowrun: Returns. And.. well… I’m totally down with that.

6. Squirrelfanatic says:

Nothing to see here, move along.

7. BobbyDylan says:

WANT

8. tuism says:

This is SO Anderoid: Netrunner and Android: Infiltration. They must be fans/players :)

• darkmorgado says:

Funnily enough, that’s what immediately crossed my mind too.

9. lowprices says:

These Klei guys are really making their Mark.

10. Utsunomiya says:

Um. StealthCOM?

• lowprices says:

I think I need to go and have a cold shower after reading that.

11. Synesthesia says:

Wow! This had gone under my radar. It looks absolutely fantastic. Want!

12. TCM says:

Tactical Espionage Excom

…Man there really isn’t a good way to make a play on the phrase “Tactical Espionage Action”, is there?

13. Noviere says:

Klei is doing everything right! I love these guys :)

14. CaLe says:

If I could make games, this is the kind of game I would want to make. I can’t make games though, because I made bad life choices. I’ll just have to settle for playing the game I should have made which was instead made by other people as a direct result of the bad choices I made in life. Direct. Result. You’re welcome.

15. Hilden2000 says:

Loving those aesthetics. Now let me mod the characters to make the Archer cast and I can eternally rest.

16. Wisq says:

I love the alarm feature. In my own personal Theory of Roguelikes (and other games with permadeath), there’s what I term the “push factor” — if the difficulty of what’s ahead of you is what holds you back, the push factor is what keeps you from holding back too much. (In Nethack, that’s starvation.)

The push factor is more than just a constraint placed upon you; it’s also a source of freedom, in a sense. You take risks, with the knowledge that you may well be killed by taking them, but the certainty that you will be killed if you don’t take them at all. When you die, you have no regrets, because you know that not taking the risks you took could have just as easily led to death anyway. (Contrast that with playing a very slow, boring, risk-free game — or taking risks and then regretting them because they were ultimately unnecessary.)

This is why I’ve always preferred, say, Nethack over Angband. I’m glad to see them add a similar factor to Incognita.

(Interestingly, X-COM managed to get by perfectly fine without this. I think that may be because there was a significant “shoot first” advantage — encountering an enemy on your own turn and allowing you to focus fire on them, rather than waiting for them on theirs and relying on unreliable reaction fire — and also explosives, which prevented you from putting enough people in one spot to guarantee reaction kills and then just waiting it out.)

• Unrein says:

There actually is a push factor in the X-COM games, just in the strategic layer, not the tactical one (aside from perhaps civilians in terror missions).

17. salty-horse says:

The genre and art style remind me of Shadow Watch.

18. welverin says:

Permadeath isn’t something to be pleased about.

19. The Random One says:

Looks great, and I find it cute how the devs are horrible at their own game and keep moving the wrong guy and shooting at tables.

Though I must say “corporate activity” doesn’t have quite the same ring as “alien activity”.

20. Rick Lion says:

Nothing to say except – love it. Style, colors and charming isometric view. All that i can see – caught my eyes. Another good game. And good day for me – because now i know it, and will be waiting. Want it on Steam and GOG.

21. Branthog says:

I want to give money to this. They should do alpha funding, already. Seriously, this is the sort of thing with enough to show for it, already, that I would gladly pay today and play it a year from now. This deserves enthusiastic support.