What’s Up Doc? – Overgrowth Looking Quite Nice

By Nathan Grayson on July 29th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

He is either kicking him in the armpit or right through his chest cavity. Neither possibility seems particularly pleasant.

Ours is a world of strife and chaos. Everything fights: people, seahorses, parasites, plants, and – yes – even adorable fuzzy-wuzzy widdle bunnies. Overgrowth doesn’t avert its gaze from this awful truth. It depicts the gruesome realities of lagomortal kombat with oftentimes stomach-lurching precision, putting hare-splitting blades, black-eye-sprouting bunnicuffs, and yes – even that most fearsome and pointlessly brutal of bunny-fu techniques – slow-mo on full display. Craig liked it a lot! Witness a new video of the carnage (with snazzy upgrades and features) after the break.

Goodness, Overgrowth moves nicely. Everything’s so smooth yet bouncy. I could watch those ears bob back and forth for days, so great is their bipedal mammalian majesty.

The long-running (and hopping and flipping and nose-crinkling) alpha is open to everyone who pre-orders, so you can try out all of these changes now. Most of them seem relatively minor, but balance tweaks and more customization can’t hurt. Well, I mean, they can help you hurt each other, but you know what I mean. Oh English, you tricksy beast.

Kind of like a bunny. There, we’ve come full-circle a little bit I guess – in a very hackneyed sort of way. So anyway, Overgrowth looks pretty great. Have you tried it?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Let me be the first to add a completely superfluous “Wow.”

2. DarkLiberator says:

The fights look really smooth and slick. Anyone try the alpha version of this yet?

• Teovald says:

I tried it over a year ago. If you already played Lugaru (Overgrowth is Lugaru 2), you will be right at home. A year ago the game still needed a lot of work, but it seems to have progressed well, I will have to test it again.

• Jazzyboy says:

Yeah, the arena’s great fun.(which was released in either a199 or a198 I believe)

There’s also an abundance of custom levels. There’s even….

Anyone that last saw the game more than a few months ago, be prepared…

WATER! Yeah, that’s right, somebody made a level with actual flowing transparent glowy water. Splash effects and all. He even went so far as to decorate it with waterfalls of all things. Cascades of beautiful water!
      And it’s great fun to murder people in it as their bodies are instant-buried upon death. (underwater)

3. Dowr says:

I’ve been contemplating whether to pre-order now and wait until the full version is released for the last two years. Every time one of their slick alpha demo videos pops up, I end up spending the rest of the week in bed asking myself the mentioned contemplation.

• Elusiv3Pastry says:

Same here. It looks fantastic, but it’s still just a tech demo as far as I can tell. The recently added arena mode is something I guess, but asking $30 for it is still too much.

4. Baltech says:

It looks really nice and all but it starts to feel as if they’re losing themselves in the little details instead of really progressing with the game. Will there be anything besides the impressive combat? A world to explore maybe or some sort of plot that justifies the rampant lagomorph mutilation?

• neems says:

Exactly this. It looks hugely impressive, but you wonder when they’ll actually add a game to the mix.

Still tempted though.

• DestructibleEnvironments says:

Yeah, and will there be voice acting and cut scenes? And loot and hunting and carrot power-ups? These are the things we need to know.

• Mo6eB says:

Well, lugaru was just a series of loosely-connected fights, so in essence they are building an actual game.

They’re probably also keeping story development under wraps still, otherwise these videos would just be huge spoilers for the game.

• LionsPhil says:

Mmm, the tech is impressive, especially given the tiny team, but what exists of the game part is just not compelling to me at all.

• Teovald says:

If I remember well I think they addressed this and told they were starting to have everything they wanted and will start building assets & levels in order to ship the game in one year.

• Billzor says:

This. I’ll buy a game about kung-fu rabbits, but not a 2-year running alpha that has not yet hinted at becoming a game.

• ornicar says:

i don’t think this is an issue.
      The most mature the core gameplay will get, the more easy and rich will be assets built upon it (maps, scenarios, etc…)

• Baltech says:

I certainly hope so. It’s just that, they seem to really take their time, seem to be perfectionists. So I shudder thinking how long it’ll take them to implement some sort of structure.

5. Tony M says:

Looks impressive, and way too difficult for me to actually play.

6. misterT0AST says:

I was so hyped and excited for this four years ago.

7. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Still looking good this! I’m waiting for the actual game though, don’t want to waste my hype playing the alpha.

8. Orageon says:

Smae as many here I think. Been impressed with this for some time now, and following, but it seems the work pace has gone down.
    I like his first game Lugaru, and I’m looking forward to this but I’d like to be sure that the Alpha is gonna turn into a Beta and a release, but it’s taking so long… that I come to doubt a bit…

• Wurstwaffel says:

They said some time ago, that they would post videos less frequently as that would encourage work on small things, that could be shown off quickly. But, yeah, they’re taking their sweet time. I wonder if there’s a whole story campaign they’ve been working on, that they won’t implement into the alpha releases so as not to spoil it; or if what we’ve been seeing is all they’ve been working on.

9. Shockeh says:

It’s been so long since it happened, but didn’t those early pre-orders of Natural Selection 2 get a copy of this bundled?

10. Harlander says:

Huh, I was just yesterday thinking “I wonder how Overgrowth’s going.”

I must have tapped into the collective unconsciousness a bit.

I played Lugaru, but really it was too hard for me.

• Renfield says:

I too was thinking the same yesterday, after having forgotten about Overgrowth for ages! The Hivemind’s influence clearly shows (and grows)…

11. Inzimus says:

bought into the alpha about a year ago and play it from time-to-time to see what’s been updated
    the community-created mods/levels do add some nice variety to the game and gives it slightly more reasons to play

all-in-all, however, I am very pleased with the basic foundation that these guys are making for Overgrowth; it’s all in the details with this one
    I’ve been waiting since it was first announced (after playing Lugaru) for a release-date, but once I got in on the alpha, I just let it grow at its own pace

the fighting and climbing is the bare essentials of this game and will make or break it; sure they’ve already gotten it closer to perfection than any other fighting game and/or climbing game out there, but as long as they’ve got more up their sleeves, I don’t mind waiting

I’d rather this (in the vein of Dwarf Fortress, etc.) take ten-twenty years to complete and get it done [right], rather than just being ‘another game in my backlog’

they’re creating something unique and uniqueness takes time.

• jonahcutter says:

That’s been pretty much my reaction to it as well. It’s so well-done and unique, I have no problem waiting a long time for it to actually develop into a complete game.

Plus, if you purchase the alpha you also get Receiver for free.

If you do get into it, I’d recommend getting the SUMLauncher. It will keep Overgrowth updated and allow you easy access to other player’s mods and custom levels.

12. derbefrier says:

I’ll definitely buy this if it ever gets finished. Its looks really fun

13. BobbleHat says:

Pre-ordered it a while ago, it’s true that it moves absolutely beautifully; it mops(y) the floor with most big budget games in terms of how fluid and precise it is. I still fire it up occasionally just to have a play around in, but I’m waiting for more ‘game’ to be there before I can really sink my teeth into it.

14. Iskariot says:

That looks very, very good.

15. JoshuaMadoc says:

The developers and much of the community are vehemently against bringing in ranged weapons in a world where any one of the animal tribes could have bloody invented them. The latter laughed at my face about it once, in fact.

I think I’ll hold off on this game on that basis alone.

• Sunday says:

It is absolutely your perogative to not approve of/buy this game, and I completely respect your decision.

That said, while I understand your issues from a simulationist perspective, I think that there are valid reasons for the devs not going for ranged weapons from a gameplay perspective.

The focus on the game is on movement, stealth (not implemented yet), and close quarters combat. Furthermore, there is midrange combat (in the context of thrown weapons), but there are costs to fighting that way (namely, you lose your weapon).

Adding in ranged weaponry would do two things: 1) it would completely change the focus of the game, as ranged weaponry would likely involve a much longer range than thrown weaponry, and it would likely either be so effective (especially in combination with stealth) as to render the rest of the game relatively moot, or to ‘balance’ it, it would be difficult enough to be frustrating to use; 2) more importantly, it’s a two-man team and the biggest complaint with the game so far is that it’s taking too long and involves too much perfectionism (see about 2/3 of the comments on this article). Adding in a whole new layer of combat and gameplay, and to the extent possible, making sure it is balanced with the rest of the game, would greatly extend the time it’s taking to make the game.

That said, I agree that whoever laughed at you was not being a good or constructive member of the community. And, of course, you absolutely should not buy the game if the ranged combat thing will bug you — there are a huge number of amazing games out there, and it isn’t worth buying something you won’t be happy with!

16. Jupiah says:

That is the most smoothly animated and complex, realistic looking combat I’ve ever seen in video game. If only there was an actual game to go with the combat, or some character models that aren’t anthropomorphic rabbits. (not that there’s anything wrong with anthropomorphic animals in video games, it’s just not my cup of tea.)

• jonahcutter says:

I’m not a big fan of anthropomorphic animals in general either. I generally can’t stand cutesy anime with the doe-eyes and the swollen, round heads. And furries, well… if more furry stuff was like Overgrowth I probably wouldn’t have such a negative reaction to it.

Overgrowth does not look like that. These are amongst the darkest, non-cutesy anthropomorphic animals you’ll find. Imagine the Watership Down rabbits mutating into semi-human forms, and you get Overgrowth/Lugaru.

• Jazzyboy says:

OG’s character models are far more tolerable than the fluffy madness of ‘furry’ anime and the likes. Trust me, I hate MLP too and think it is exceptionally messed up. Overgrowth is fortunately nothing like it.

There is also actually already more than rabbits. Umm, not much more but there are wolves, dogs and cats in there too so far.

I agree with there not being much of a game yet though. The arena is great fun and there are a lot of brilliant custom levels but the campaign’s still a long way away.
      What is already there is more than worth it, especially since you get Low Light Combat and Reciever bundled with it but no, there isn’t much of OG yet /:

17. bad guy says:

Yes I’ve tried it.
    Overgrowth looks like the ultimate sim-fighting game to date.

18. rockman29 says:

This game really reminds me of The Bouncer, except way more advanced.

The way the characters fall down after being punched or kicked is exactly like in The Bouncer I think lol, just flopping to the ground lol :P

19. Keyrock says:

I can’t speak of Overgrowth, but I can about its predecessor, Lugaru. As a physics simulator, it was impressive. As a game, not so much.

20. Kein says:

Super HD Luragu HD Double HD?

21. Wedge says:

I don’t think this will ever be a game… and that is ok. I do think it will finally provide the legitimate sequel to Bushido Blade I’ve wanted all these years (as that wasn’t much of a game either).

22. bigsou says:

I have pre-ordered and Overgrowth is quite intriguing. I decided to buy Lugaru after playing this and it is great fun.

23. MellowKrogoth says:

I demand simulated rabbit sex and detailed anthropomorphic rabbit boob physics!

Comment on this story