GTA IV On PC To Be GTA VI By Time GTA V Comes Out

By Nathan Grayson on July 30th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Despite the headline, this screenshot looks weirdly similar to GTA I.

OK, maybe not officially, but modders are ensuring that Grand Theft Auto IV continues to sprout bells and whistles like a million retail chains the second Christmas shopping season starts. It’s become remarkably more attractive, gained entire landmasses, and received the most important upgrade of all: Iron Man. But that’s not enough. It can never be enough. So modders have taken to grandly thieving Grand Theft Auto V’s features and cramming them under GTA IV’s hood. First up: cross-city character-swapping.

Quite the thing, huh? It’s more than a superficial send-up of GTA V’s secret weapon, too. The core features of the system – including some at least rudimentary AI for the characters you’re not playing – are fully in place. So says the introductory post on GTA X Scripting:

“When we change to other char the old one will wander around or evade from cops if wanted level is greater than zero. Each char has his own health, armor, ammo and vehicle.”

The characters in question are conflicted war criminal and that most formidable of cousins Niko Bellic, Johnny from GTA IV’s Lost and the Damned DLC, and Luis from The Ballad of Gay Tony. I want to bring them all together and have a gang war against myself.

The mod’s creators warn of potential bugs, but you can still take it for a spin right now. Now then, can anyone just, like, mod all of Red Dead Redemption into GTA IV? I think that would be very good of them to do.

, , , , .

PoulWrist says:

Guess this is why Rockstar never want to publish games on PC :p

• FF56 says:

I doubt they have any issues with the long tail that GTA IV has gotten due to all these mods.

• XhomeB says:

Good point. Certain games tend to sell for a long time BECAUSE of mods created for it. ArmA2 is the most recent,shining example of it – it received a massive sales boost solely thanks to DayZ.
        I don’t think Rockstar are worried about the fact GTA IV has a dedicated modding community, quite the contrary.

• Grey Poupon says:

Considering how much money EA and the like get from DLC’s, many publishers frown upon mod tools. Wouldn’t be surprised if GTA IV was the last GTA to get decent moddability.

• CharlO says:

The thing is, they don’t really do any DLC. Besides, it’s people working for them, for free. Sure, they don’t get the cash input up front, but I bet they get more sales.

And regarding EA, the games they make are quite different, DLC meaning more of the same content. And in case it’s actually different, there is no reason not to buy it because the game is moddeable. I’ve seen no mod adding BoGT to vainilla, nor anything like that, if the modder was ripping them off, I’m sure they’d have the grounds and means to legally destroy them.

• Tin_man_Tex says:

Are there really any fans that won’t buy any content made by the creators of the game just because there’s community created content available?

• The Random One says:

A bit of a leading question. Not everyone who buys a game will be a “fan”.

• Baines says:

Volition both openly embraces excessive amounts of DLC *and* now openly embraces the Saints Row modding community.

(It may help that the Saints Row modding community has itself openly opposed stepping on the toes of SR3′s DLC, both in the attempt to avoid duplicating DLC as well as refusing to let people use mods to bypass buying DLC.)

Smashbox says:

GTA IV has no mod tools. This is strictly DIY.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

GTA5 is coming to PC – R* just wants to secure pre-orders and early sales on consoles. Simple as that.

• frightlever says:

Exactly. If Skyrim had been delayed six months to a year on PC then people would buy it on console first and then on PC later to get at the mods. This is exactly what’s happened with GTA IV.

• zakihashi says:

So basically don’t buy GTAV, stick with GTAIV if you already bought it, force RockStar to day one announcement or don’t release at all?
        I know I won’t order GTAV no matter how good it might get, if Rockstar manage to show us PC gamers this kind of respect they might as well fuck off for all I care. I don’t mind playing Saint’s Row, and probably won’t mind playing Watch Dogs either as it looks to become pretty awesome.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

“show us PC gamers this kind of respect”

And if they rushed out a halfassed port just to release the same day as consoles you’d be complaining all the same. Watch out we got an entitled nerd who thinks he’s owed something here.

• Baraqyal says:

So he’s an entitled nerd because he wants a decent quality PC port the same day as the console releases? How dare he!

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

He’s entitled because he thinks he’s owed one, yeah

• blackmyron says:

And as a consumer, I really don’t give a rat’s ass on Rockstar’s reasoning. There’s a ton of PC games I’m interesting at getting – whether already out or coming up – ahead of anything Rockstar puts out. I’m sure I’ll play GTA5 when it’s on sale on Steam for $5, or something.

2. Tony M says:

First there was the DayZ mod in Arma 3, now this. Soon it will be a race for developers to release their game before the community does.

• phelix says:

I for one would be quite interested in a community-made XCOM The Bureau.

• The Random One says:

I too, but only if it was a Source engine FPS based on the first trailers.

3. marbled says:

Firstly, this is very impressive and bravo to the modders.

Secondly, am I the only person who wasn’t that impressed by Red Dead Redemption? The storyline and characters were great but the minute to minute gameplay was really monotonous, and the quick target mechanic was essentially a press to win button that removed all challenge. I got bored, fast…..

• XhomeB says:

I’m willing to agree that the gameplay aspect of RDR was rather disappointing -there simply weren’t enough interesting side activities or variation in what you did to keep you entertained for long. As you said, monotony reared its ugly head very quickly if you decided to stray off the beaten path, the main quest.
      With that said, I think what people love RDR for the most are the game world, cutscenes, writing, characters and the overall atmosphere, which were all masterfully crafted. The game supposedly cost a real fortune to make, but the expenses paid off in the end.

Despite its flaws, it is a great game, which I’d love to buy for PC.

Off topic: Castelvania: Lords of Shadow demo is hitting Steam tomorrow, weee!

• Stuart Walton says:

I have RDR on 360 and was able to play with the auto-targeting turned off. It was unfortunately essential for PVP, as it snapped to targets immediately.

I didn’t mind the change in pace going off the beaten track. But then, i enjoyed the sailing in Wind Waker.

• phenom_x8 says:

The only think I remember when read about RDR was the actor who act as MoCap plus Voice Actor from its main character and how humble his life after having a major role in a heavy hitter like RDR :

Great guy, though. And the real John Marston he is.

• DonJefe says:

I must say I loved RDR. I agree with your sentiments about the auto-aim but I think the atmosphere of the world Rockstar created still made for a great game. I am anxiously hoping for a sequel.

• botd says:

I, for one, agree with you. Beautiful game, but boring as fuck. In theory I like open world games, but too often this just means multitude of monotonous minigames or a plethora of pathetic quests and dungeons (looking at your Bethesda).

• engion3 says:

I agree with this. The game was cool to mess around with bears but then skyrim took the trophy in that aspect. Overall I rate games on the ability to fight bears.

• KirbyEvan says:

Although honestly I thought RDR took the cake on bear fighting as they could kill you in one hit rather than Skyrim’s “stab it with a dagger until sudden game-wrenching mini-cutscene plays instantly killing it” method of fighting.

• CharlO says:

Did it come out? I don’t find it on steam.

It’s not about how good the game might be, I really have played just five minutes in an acquaintance’s of mine PS3, and what I would buy the game for is to run around in horses shooting people and using TNT sticks, kinda like that old western shooter that was somehow open worldie and I don’t remember, that you began hunting with your uncle or so… Ring a bell?

Qazinsky says:

You’re talking about Gun, aren’t you? The whole scalping thing were a bit much, but great game!

• Durandir says:

I am pretty sure you aren’t the only one, but I am one of those who disagree. I loved everything about RDR, the mood, the combat, the story, the music and the gameplay. But this all comes down to taste. I liked the quiet times between the missions, just riding around being a cowboy. I can understand why some would find it tedious and boring though.

• bigblack says:

Gosh, I loved RDR to bits, and wish more open world westerns existed.. so long as their names don’t start with either “Assassin’s Creed:” or “Call of Juarez:”…

RDR’s setting, the mood, the shooting, the story, the music, the gameplay.. I enjoyed the hell out of it in ways GTA never nailed for me. The curve-ball the narrative throws at the player near the end was brilliant and inspired in ways that I simply never would have believed that I’d love so much, had someone just told me what happens. Nothing earth shattering, just a beautiful and immersive world with characters I enjoyed and outcomes I cared about. I am SO fucking pissed off that it hasn’t been released to PC that it just makes me want to scream, as I have many friends that never bothered to try it on consoles.

4. Junkenstein says:

Is this just for switching between 3 different characters in ‘free-roam’ mode, or can I do a mission as Belic, then swith to Johnny and do a Lost mission without restarting the game? ‘Cos that would be awesome.

5. Aaax says:

I tried GTA 4 right after it came out on PC, but graphics were without exxageration worse than in GTA 3 but million times more laggier. Is it really how the game is or was I doing something wrong?

• Turkey says:

Well, there’s a bug that triggers on a lot of computers that makes it unable to detect how much memory there’s left on your computer and the game locks all your settings on low.

There’s a fix to unlock the video settings, but it’s still laggy as crap cause of how CPU intensive and how poorly the game’s been optimized for PC’s.

• stupid_mcgee says:

The game was poorly optimized across the board. I remember seeing one of my friends play it on the 360 and I was surprised about how much lag and stutter there was. It wasn’t game breaking, but there were numerous times where I noticed it dipped into the low 20′s fps for a second or two.

6. ceemko says:

Too bad I can’t even run it on my new gaming PC because it is bad port with 3 or 4 different DRM. I mean pirated version of course works, but genuine one doesn’t, and I tried everything reasonable to fix it. I hope they will not do the same mistakes with GTA V.

7. Lemming says:

I saw that screenshot on the article and got excited thinking GTA V was going back to top-down perspective. Damn you RPS :(

• Skabooga says:

Same thing here. It was a bigger disappointment for me than the Journey switcheroo earlier in the day.