Batman: Arkham Origins Has Multiplayer By Splash Damage

By John Walker on July 31st, 2013 at 2:19 pm.

Splash Damage have just announced that they are to be creating the multiplayer for Batman: Arkham Oranges. The sequel is due out on the 25th October, which is two days before my birthday – PUT IT IN YOUR DIARY NOW – and it seems will have the pro team ensuring that going online is worthwhile.

The first Arkham game had no multiplayer at all, and it’s good to see that Warner Montreal aren’t opting to bodge their own. Instead they’re remaining focused on the single-player game, and getting the team behind Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars to do the honours. And it’s going to feature something involving 3 vs 3 vs 2. Erk. (The 2 being Batman and Robin.)

Here’s the first trailer for that:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. realitysconcierge says:

My birthday is three days after yours :D let’s celebrate together!

2. BrandeX says:

Where can I get this Arkham Oranges game?

3. DannyKGolden says:

Arkham Oranges huh? Hmm.

4. SuicideKing says:

ORANGE BATFACE

5. spell says:

Splash Damage sure can come up with some interesting multiplayer concepts.

6. TsunamiWombat says:

Multiplayer?

Oh god, all is lost.

7. Totally heterosexual says:

WHY

WHY

FUCK

8. 1Life0Continues says:

Why?

No seriously, why? Isn’t a well put together, coherent story with great mechanics enough? Does Batman need a multiplayer mode? I could understand an online co-op experience, even if I wouldn’t play it myself, but multiplayer?

I guess there’s always Rocksteady…I hope…

• kevmscotland says:

Its a different team making the MP so hopefully it shouldn’t have too much of an effect on the SP experience.

Also, any idea what rocksteady are currently working on?

• woodsey says:

Rumour was a Silver Age Batman game. That ending really has gone to waste, it seems.

• jon_hill987 says:

It’s a different team, but it will be sharing the same budget.

• Kentauroi says:

Well Kevin Conroy (Batman’s voice actor) did say that he was working on a Batman game that wasn’t Origins, and Arkham City left a good couple threads hanging if you did the side missions. I imagine that Rocksteady is working on the next non-prequel Batman game, at least in some capacity.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Everything has to have multiplayer. It’s hip. It’s cool. It’s the dope, fresh, jam, chill thing. It’s what the kids crave. It’s like Brawndo. Only, instead of electrolytes, it has dubstep. Get with the times, old man. WUB! WUB! WUB! Can you hear that? Good. Now go shoot your friend in the face and dip your virtual balls in his mouth while you scream obscenities and racial epithets. YOLO! What are you? A little girl? A little girl with a mustache? Because that’s kinda hot. I’d still make out with a little girl with a mustache. No homo. Fistbump it up, bro!

• bstard says:

It’s what Splash did with RTCW: two different games, well, balancing for single, and multiplayer. They did it very well imo. As they did, and reached their top untill now, with ET. Brink wasnt too great, and one can only hope this bad woman MP is of any worth. Lets pray for it.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

How can they improve on Batman? Simple. Batmans.

9. Njordsk says:

No thank you.

I’d rather have them allocate those ressources to improve SP experience.

10. Turkey says:

Seems like an awful lot of prerequisites to get a full game going, especially for something that’s just a mode.

11. Shodex says:

I don’t have a problem with multiplayer in itself, I’m just not going to play it. The same can be said for a lot of people, the multiplayer will not be a smash hit and that’s the end of it. Studios add unneeded multiplayer in the hopes of it getting big, but the fact is that people don’t want to play 100 multiplayer games. They’ll play a few rounds and then go back to the big ones, Call of Duty/Team Fortress 2/Halo/etc.

12. Sulaco says:

“Splash Damage creative director Alastair Cornish was sure to point out that no resources were being taken away from the single-player to focus on multiplayer, which was a common worry among commenters back when we broke that story.” (Kotaku)

Personally I would prefer to have a buddy able to drop in/out of my single player game as a co-op experience, but I’m not worried about multiplayer entering the scene. If they want to add multiplayer to their product then so be it, as long as – like they say – the single player is not being compromised over the addition. I never touched the Dead Space 2 multiplayer, but I enjoyed the single player all the same.

13. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Press F to make “Holy appropriate noun, Batman!” quip.

14. vertigo says:

We are in a world that even skyrim maybe is gonna get a multipl…Wait a sec.

15. Nim says:

Multiplayer -> Multiplayer achievements -> No sale.

16. The Sombrero Kid says:

All those idiots who claim the middle has dropped out of the market, I POINT YOU AT ANY GAME WITH 2ND STUDIO MULTIPLAYER.

This game is going to be so so shit, BAA was a work of art, BAC was pretty shit & this will be absolutely awful, I’ve worked with Warner Bros before and the more they dig their claws into a franchise the worse it gets.

17. psyman says:

If the general gaming zeitgeist had it’s way, we never would have received Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Maybe it did take away from the campaign development, but I feel it was worth it for something that was truly refreshing among multiplayer games. I also enjoyed Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2 multiplayer and felt neither were tacked-on.

The core gameplay in ME3 was a simple wave-based horde mode of course, but all the other elements to it are so engaging, from the wildly different chracters & customization to the enemy AI, gore (compared to how sanitised BF, Halo & CoD are) and the most diverse weapon selection I’ve ever seen in an action game.

I swear some people have no appreciation for playing with/against other humans. It’s like their brains are wired differently and it doesn’t matter to them who is in control of other characters in a game. I think multiplayer just goes over the heads of some people because they literally wouldn’t care whether they were playing against CPU-controlled bots or not.

18. GameDreamer says:

I can’t wait to stand around Batman in a circle with my fellow goons and attempt to defeat him fighting one at a time.

Buy Batman Arkham Origins