I Feel The Need: Need For Madness?

By Cara Ellison on July 31st, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

What is going to happen
Sometimes Lewie Procter is very useful. Not only does he do the delightful Bargain Bucket, but he is also, and this is a huge secret, quite good at videogames. That is quite terrifying to anyone else who happens to write about videogames, because we actually try not to be good at videogames so that we will have time to write about videogames. But Lewie can do both and do the Bargain Bucket! He is some sort of superhuman. Anyway, this week he has been playing Need For Madness, and doing mean flips and whatnot in the air and sending us videos. Perhaps you’d like to try this car game out? It is now on Greenlight and looks very lovely.

That is Lewie’s 900 Double Flip. Cool huh?

Need for Madness is a car racing and crashing game where you perform stunts to power your car and win by either racing or wrecking the other lil crashy cars. It’s got a lovely-looking minimalist style, and seems very simple and nice to control.

The single-player version of the game is available now for free, but to play the full version with multiplayer, you must purchase account registration.

Find out more here and vote for them on Greenlight, and you can download the free game here on their somewhat terrible website.

, .

Top comments

1. AndiK says:

This reminds me of one of my childhood favourites: Stunts

Same look, same sound lo-fi-ness, same fence around the area… And apparently just as much wackiness. Yay! :D

1. AndiK says:

This reminds me of one of my childhood favourites: Stunts

• Laurentius says:

Wow, I was quickly going to make Stunts reference (game i have very fond memories of ) and bam, you already did and in first comment too.

• AndiK says:

Noone can compete with my lightning-fast reflexes when I’ve just had a quiet cup of Darjeeling of +1 to Procrastination. :D

• RuySan says:

I was never much into racing games, but i made an exception for 4D Sports Driving (or 4DS as it was known by most people). It’s an underlooked classic.

• Fenix says:

OH MY GOD Stunts! I loved that game so much, and the editor blew my mind back then.

• The Random One says:

So many hours wasted trying to ramp over that one square of water one of the maps had until we realized the ramps would be level and we would fall while over it. The stupid game wouldn’t tell the track was invalid but would get the NPC driver to randomly die before they reached it.

• nitehawk says:

While driving through the ____.

• crinkles esq. says:

I never played Stunts, it looks like a poor copy of Atari’s arcade game Hard Drivin’

That game was such a greedy quarter-grabbing bastard.

• Vinraith says:

Stunts was vastly superior to Hard Drivin’ and Race Drivin’ in that it included vastly more tracks and vehicle types and, most importantly, was centered around building and driving on your own tracks.

2. Mahatma Dagon says:

I’ve playied it during my early teens(I’m now a bitter young adult) and it was awesome back then. Now it should be old as cluck.

The multiplayer bit seems worth checking out, though.

Also, your link is not working.

3. SooSiaal says:

Yeah their site is quite awful, just as your attempts at linking to it :P

4. RCoon says:

I played this as an online flash game years ago, they also made one with aircraft – something aces. I’m pretty sure it’s still available to play on some website or other.

• Leminator says:

Both those games are still available on Miniclip I believe. I freaking loved Need For Madness when I was younger. I remember the music was great too.

5. hlm2 says:

This has been on Miniclip forever….it’s bloody good fun.

6. MacBeth says:

If it will let me post the link – it’s here: http://www.miniclip.com/games/need-for-madness/

I really should have known about this already…

7. Spacewalk says:

Cars wot go fast!

• phelix says:

Especially that sodding overpowered monster truck. I remember spending hours in the second-final stage trying to beat that bloody thing.

8. Scumbag says:

From here on in the music on that video clip will playing in my head every time I read the Bargain Bucket.

9. SooSiaal says:

The tire screeching soundeffect made me instantly think of carmageddon, so I’m off redownloading and installing splat pack

10. dagudman says:

I remember playing this game and just trying to do stunts, good old times.

11. soulblur says:

Cara, I just read your Ride to Hell review over at Eurogamer. I was laughing so hard to had to stop, both because I was in pain and because my colleagues were starting to mutter.

This article is fine as well.

• Cara Ellison says:

Why thank you nice person. A sentence that Tom Bramwell edited out was “I was also crying as this was happening and thinking about how I am single and this is why” in the middle of it. I like to think that he edited it out out of pure pity that I had been given that game to review

• lowprices says:

Do you know what riles me up the most about Ride to Hell? The fact that it’s the Biker that gets advanced brawling skills from being wanked off by the lady and not the other way around. Surely she should be able to re purpose her techniques, like how the karate kid turns mundane tasks into awesome karate skills.

I mean, also the game looks like a horribly-designed, misogynistic, unfinished mess. But it was the wank-brawling conundrum that stood out.

12. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Juliet and Ronnie’s wedding was very emotional.

13. The Tupper says:

Anyone know how to uninstall this game? Games that install without an obvious way to remove should be ILLEGAL I say.

Edit: erm…stupid stupid Tupper. Ignore him. He knows not what he says. Control Panel did the trick of course.

14. Vorrin says:

dont leave us, useful Lewie!

15. RagingLion says:

Oh wow. That screenshot really brings back some memories. I’m remembering playing the flash version or whatever years ago.

To me it gave out a very particular atmosphere – slightly bleak, barren and cold but in a way that really drew me in. I think it’s that the faceless cars really felt like characters in their own rights. I was actually scared of that truck when I first encountered it in a level. I remember the skill required later on really pushed me but I ended up perservering and beating it.

16. Eschatos says:

This was fun as a poor teenager playing flash games because real games cost money. Now they expect you to pay for it? No thanks.