Latest Humble Bundles Include Deep Silver & Positech

By John Walker on July 31st, 2013 at 9:00 am.

We haven’t mentioned before now, but the current Humble Weekly Sale is a clutch of Cliffski’s Positech games, which have already netted over $100k, with a day and a half to go. Beers are on Cliffski! (Just don’t mention piracy.) And now a new fortnight-long Humble Bundle proper has launched, this time showcasing the products of the decidedly not indie Deep Silver. Four of their games (including Saints Row 3!) for pay what you want, two more for over the average, and the rather average Dead Island Riptide if you throw in $25.

I’m sure people will share their feelings about international publishers taking up spaces on the Humble rota, especially when there are no Mac or Linux versions, in the comments below. But I imagine everyone will also be tempted to throw in a buck to pick up Saints Row: The Third, Saints Row 2, Risen 2: Dark Waters and Sacred 2 Gold. Put in $5 (at the moment) and you’ll also get all the Saints Row 3 DLC (some of which is worth having), and Dead Island’s GOTY Edition. And as I mentioned, $25 will get you Dead Island: Riptide, although since you’d already get the far superior Dead Island for a fifth of the price, I wouldn’t bother.

It’s been running for less than a day, and already an utterly extraordinary $765k has been made.

It’s unquestionably a great bundle. Of course, Deep Silver are also the publisher who refuses to respond to us whenever we ask about their Dead Island torso bullshit.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

The THQ bundle was better IMHO and they were in some trouble that at least justified doing this. This just seems like a way for Deep Silver to push sales of Dead Island. I notice the default split is 65% going to Deep Silver. Well they won an auction so they’ve earned it.

I don’t think anyone was expecting to see Mac/Linux versions of these games, even if this would have been the perfect opportunity to do so, and entirely justified them releasing this bundle. I do think Humble should start to mandate that, and use their consummate power to make non-Windows platforms more viable. As it stands, all that’s happening here is they are doing Deep Silver’s marketing for them. There’s no reason why Deep Silver couldn’t run a bundle like this themselves.

Having said that, I think the Android bundles are cool, even though I don’t own one.

Edit: This ended up being more of a rant than I anticipated. I do love the Humble Bundles.

• Teovald says:

I would very much like to see them put more pressure on quality as well.
      Some of these MacOsX releases crash at startup (Shank 2 comes to mind) on that platform.
      I would love to see the Saints Row games on MacOsX & Linux … but I don’t get my hopes up.

• JD Ogre says:

“I notice the default split is 65% going to Deep Silver.”

Actually, if you hit $100 or $10 and let the split update, you’ll see the default is 50% to Deep Silver, 35% to charity, and 15% to Humble.

• The Random One says:

I love the Humble Bundle as well, but I’d echo your complaints, for my love is a tough love.

• wengart says:

I think these developer sales are good publicity for the HIB guys. Brings in a lot of new eyes/

2. PatrickSwayze says:

Don’t mention DLC to Cliffski either.

He was getting all hurt feelings on twitter over the fact people were asking if Gratuitous Space Battles came with the DLC.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

It’s got to be pretty hard on you when you’re both the creator and the publisher.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Would’ve doubled his sales.

• Mattressi says:

I bought GSB at full price when it first came out. The expansions were always too much, so didn’t buy them. I saw it on Humble Bundle and was about to buy it until I realised there were no expansions. I already have it from another humble bundle too. I don’t want a third copy of GSB – I’d like the DLCs, thanks.

• princec says:

So, er, why not buy the DLCs?

• PatrickSwayze says:

Paying more for the DLC’s than the actual game?

That’s EA’s way of doing business.

• Mattressi says:

As I said, they’re too pricey (though cheaper if I buy them witht he game than if I buy them separately…). I may just be overly cynical, but it seems to me like Cliffski is trying to essentially give away GSB in the hopes that people will buy the pricey DLC (or, even more cynically; trick them into buying what many might assume is GSB + DLC). I guess my problem is that I feel like the base game is nearly worthless, since it is always reduced in price and added in bundles, while the DLC would have been a much wiser thing to spend my money on. Lesson learned, I guess.

• wu wei says:

Wow, it’s hard to see why cliffski was ever critical of indie bundle deals.

• cliffski says:

I’m selling 4 games in a PAY WHAT YOU WANT sale. Some of that money is going to highly deserving charities. I don’t see EA or activision doing this. The DLC for GSB is entirely optional, gives you no competitive advantage, and each expansion costs less than a coffee and a muffin.
            If you don’t want it don’t buy it. But trying to paint me as some evil mastermind because I’m letting people get cross platform, DRM-free indie games for peanuts whilst supporting charity is just silly.

• Mattressi says:

I don’t see anyone trying to paint you as anything. I was just saying what the cynic in me makes of the exclusion of DLC from bundles – and it was far from you being an evil mastermind.

• princec says:

I can’t believe people are moaning about the DLC not being included. It beggars belief really.

• cliffski says:

I’m not trying to ‘trick’ anyone. I’m just trying to make games and sell them at a fair price. You name your own price, it can’t get much fairer. And $5.99 is too much for an expansion to a game you like?

• wengart says:

Mattressi, no fucking shit. That is the idea. You expose people to the base game, and if they like it hopefully the purchase the DLC. It gives them more content, Cliffski gets more money. It is how this entire bloody system works. This isn’t a sale for people who previously owned these games. This is the sale for new customers.

If you really want the bloody DLC pay attention to sales. I guarantee you that each of the DLCs were something like $2.50 during the Steam summer sale.

• Mattressi says:

@princec: it would beggar belief, if someone were actually moaning about it.

@cliffski: frankly, yes, it is. I usually buy the base game of something at full price and then buy the DLCs when they’re discounted. I’ve already noted now that that is not a great idea, at least not for your games. I’m not made of money and if I bought everything I like because it was “the price of a coffee and a muffin”, I’d be broke. So I wait for sales of DLCs.

@wengart: I don’t think you’ve yet clicked on the the link to the current Humble Bundle. You’ll find that Dead Island is the complete “GOTY” edition and the SR3 DLC is included. Are you still sure that’s how the bloody system works? I’m not sure where the anger/frustration is coming from. I was hoping (actually assuming, based on previous Humble bundles) the DLC would be included, found out it wasn’t and was disappointed. Is that wrong? Should I be indifferent or overjoyed, instead? My original post was simply adding a “yeah I would have bought the bundle if it had the DLCs”.

• mhcastrillon says:

Cliffski, but you are OBVIOUSLY an evil mastermind, because of pirates and sharknados and Obama and stuff.
            HOW DARE YOU?

People moan about PWYW games now, awesome.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Personally I just treat the Humble Bundle as a great discount, don’t really care about the charity aspect except for the few cents I sometimes split for the EFF. So the “Oh God I’m so awesome I’m doing a charity sale” argument doesn’t get to me.

Cliffski, it’s true that trying to sucker people into buying your DLC at full price by never discounting it is an annoying business practice. And it just means that I and many other people are never gonna buy your DLC (I’ve never played any of your games except for briefly booting up GSB, but I own them all. I’d buy the DLC if they were dirt cheap just to have that option in my library. If you’re waiting for me to play your games enough to get enthused about DLCs you have quite a few years to wait, maybe eternity.) On the other hand adding those in a pay what you want sale increases the perceived value (and the amount of stuff that we don’t already have), and so people who are not just paying the minimum are more likely to add a few dollars on top of their purchase.

Some food for thought: what made the success of the Humble Bundle is an attitude of trust toward consumers, giving them an incredible amount of good stuff so they end up feeling bad about being cheap. If you go half-in, you miss the point. Thankfully other companies such as Arcen are more Humble and less SmartAss: they put every expansion to AI War ever in their weekly sale.

But right now you’re probably obsessing about all the people who got your games for 1 cent, sorry to disturb you from your dark rêverie.

• wu wei says:

Holy christ some people talk a lot of verifiable crap. “Never”, my rectum.

And it just means that I and many other people are never gonna buy your DLC

No it just means that you and “many other people” are a) idiots, b) entitled or c) both of the above. Feel free to pick the most applicable to you.

• Mattressi says:

I love when people call others “idiots” and/or “entitled” because they choose not to spend their money.

• wu wei says:

You can do what you like with your money. The term “idiot” was used to refer to the ridiculous, inaccurate and negative claims about the developer thrown up in order to “justify” why some were choosing not to spend money. “Entitled” was referring to the apparent belief that $1 should give those full access to someone’s back catalogue of work which they use for income.

Continue convincing yourself you’re the misunderstood victim here, I’ll stick to thinking of you as an entitled idiot, thanks.

3. theunshaven says:

I picked up the bundle just so I could give everything to charity and the Humble Bundle folks themselves, precisely as a Screw You regarding the Torsopocalypse fiasco, ‘feminist whore’ and all their other clownshoes-bullshit.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Yeah man, stick it to the patriarchy by making them more popular!

What a well thought out plan

:^)

• CutieKnucklePie says:

So what’s the alternative if you like the games but think the asses at DS deserve nothing for what they did? Pirate Bay? Also, I fail to see how buying a bundle of games and giving the money to charity makes DS “more popular” anyway.

4. Lewie Procter says:

Don’t buy Riptide from this bundle.

One: It’s shite.

Two: It’s cheaper here:

• bluebomberman says:

Wait, are you advocating grey market Steam keys? How do we know they’re not bought off of stolen credit cards? (The Natural Selection 2 devs got hit hard this way some months back.)

• Chalk says:

For what it’s worth Simply CD Keys has been around for a long time and sold a whole load of keys. I’ve purchased from there myself a number of times.

No idea where they get their keys. But is there any reason it should a different place to Greenmangaming or Gamersgate?

• Chalky says:

These grey market sites are generally buy at your own risk – I’m sure the site selling stolen NS2 keys didn’t realise they were stolen either.

Nice user name by the way.

• stupid_mcgee says:

“No idea where they get their keys.”

Russia. I bought Sleeping Dogs and Dark Souls from one of these types of sites. Luckily, both of those games were region-free. Most of these sites won’t sell the keys unless they are region-free. The key site that I went to, for example, didn’t start stocking Borderlands 2 keys until after Gearbox removed the region restrictions for Russian players.

How I knew was, when I went to register my Sleeping Dogs key, it came up as “Sleeping Dogs Retail RU (region-free)” on the notification. Same thing with Dark Souls.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yes, I am advocating free trade.

5. Innovacious says:

Shame most of their newly published games are all still expensive compared to across the pond. Riptide (on steam) and Ride to Hell are both £35 (neither are full priced games in the states). Saints Row 4 seems to be £35-40 in most places, on greenmangaming its even cheaper for the console versions!

6. Jupiah says:

Darn that’s a pretty good deal, too bad I literally just bought each one of these games in the Summer Sale.

• Commander Gun says:

This. Another sign that the steamsale has its best day behind them. It happens more and more that other sources (namely Amazon atm) is cheaper.

On a sidenote, is it just me or are the “Indie”bundles less Indie every new edition?

• phlebas says:

Some of them. The Humble ones are generally indie when they say they are, though.

• HadToLogin says:

There’s not a single INDIE on humble page. Just because they used to sell indies doesn’t mean everything they sell is indie (but you’re right; more and more big names are trying to milk that hipsters are buying everything associated with indie-brand)..

But I hope some gaming sites will finally stop orgasming over steam-sales like they did those 3 weeks ago, since now only Russian Steam offer really good deals – but that won’t happen until PC gamers keep ONLY buying on steam while making 0 research about their purchases.

• stupid_mcgee says:

See if you can spot the difference:

Humble Deep Silver Bundle.

Humble Indie Bundle V.

The site is called Humble Bundle. When they do a bundle of indie titles, it is called Humble Indie Bundle.

I’m not trying to single you out, because this happens all the time with thousands of people, but why is this differentiation so incredibly hard for so many people to understand? Furthermore, what is with everyone stating what they think the intent of the site is as factual? Ben Kuchera did this, ranting about how the Humble THQ Bundle was against the spirit of the site because it wasn’t indie games, the THQ titles weren’t all cross-platform, and they had DRM. None of which was EVER the stated focus of the site. Those are ideals that others projected onto Humble Bundle.

The point of the site, from the people who actually created the damn thing (so I think they have a better idea of the intent than anyone else) was to create a “pay what you want” scheme that would help support charity and was easily accessible. It was never about “only indie games” and “only multi-platform games” and “no DRM.” Yes, those are aspects that they touted to promote their bundles, but that does not mean that was the sole and primary intent of the site, nor that it was even a primary focus. And the focus on indie titles was because they didn’t have the clout to persuade larger publishers and/or developers to participate.

This kind of attitude is like going to Christopher Nolan and trying to tell him what the ending of “Inception” actually means. I think he has a much better idea of what the ending truly means than you do. Just like I think that Kurt Cobain had a much clearer idea of what “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was actually about than the masses of overreaching armchair psychologists.

• The Random One says:

Humble Indie Bundle was originally created to promote indie titles, which usually can’t get a lot of publicity. (This hasn’t changes for the great majority of indie titles.) I personally don’t find selling industry games through the store is selling out, but I do understand the logic behind such ideas.

Smells Like Teen Spirit is about Kurt’s teenager girlfriend’s deodorant.

• Mattressi says:

For once, I didn’t own most of the games! A really great bundle for me – possibly better than the THQ bundle!

• frightlever says:

I bought the Humble beat the average bundle, despite already having them, because I can always trade the keys for something I want later on. Just bear in mind that you get one Steam key for Risen 2, Sacred 2 Gold and Saints Row the Third, then a second Steam key with Dead Island GOTY and the Saints Row the Third DLC (which probably only works with the SRt3 from the first key) – so not AS useful as some bundles with separate keys but jeeze, it cost me under four quid.

• JD Ogre says:

“the Saints Row the Third DLC (which probably only works with the SRt3 from the first key)”

I applied my beat-the-average key first. It works fine with the regular Steam edition.

• fish99 says:

Thanks for the info. That’s actually a shame cause I was going to give Dead Island to my dad, give Risen 2 to my brother and put the rest on my Steam, and now I know that’s not possible without buying multiple bundles.

They really should make this more clear before you buy (I’m sure it’s in the small print but who reads that?).

• HothMonster says:

Their official stance is that you can not give your keys away. So they don’t feel the need to tell you how the keys are split up, because you are not suppose to give them away.

• wengart says:

On the other hand it would cost you a whole $2 to do that.

• fish99 says:

No it wouldn’t. If I wanted the SR3 DLC, and Dead Island, on seperate steam accounts, it would cost nearly $10. Bear in mind I have already bought SR3 and DI at £20 each at launch, and I already own Risen 2 (plus the bonus games Risen and Metro for that matter).

• MellowKrogoth says:

Solution: keep games you buy on Steam in your inventory until you play them, so you can at least trade them for something else or gift them to someone if you later buy the same game dirt-cheap from a bundle.

7. iainl says:

Having got SR3 from the THQ bundle and not yet installing it, this would be a waste of money, right?

• Baines says:

If you really want SR3 with its DLC, it is a good deal to beat the average, which will clock in below Full Package’s price even during major sales.

That, of course, is assuming that you ever decide that you want to play Saints Row the Third. It isn’t a bad game, though it isn’t horribly long and the post-campaign free roam city is fairly pointless (as it resets to pre-STAG levels, while you are probably topped out with invulnerability or near invulnerability perks that you cannot disable.)

There is a modding scene for both Saints Row 2 and Saints Row the Third. Mods offer patches and more features. There are mods to up the difficulty or alter some of the game behavior. More than that, Volition has recently started working *with* the modding community, answering questions and working with modders to put together modding SDKs for both game. (Don’t expect miracles, as more ambitious abilities like city and building modding are at best quite some distance in the future, and modder focus will likely shift to Saints Row 4 long before that point.)

8. Pich says:

The games that are going to be added later are: Risen, Sacred Citadel and Metro 2033
    Source: http://steamdb.info/sub/29407/#section_apps

• Baines says:

Not a surprise, but not necessarily an incentive, either. Another THQ bundle game, and one that has even been given away for free no less. An apparently rather shallow side scrolling beat’em-up. (Shallow even by beat’em-up standards, that is.) And the first Risen.

But then again, the way that Humble works, bonus games aren’t really “incentives” anyway. The only thing they really encourage is people buying in at the $1 level in the first week on the possibility of some unknown free games being added later.

9. TWChristine says:

Well hell..part of the reason I just bought this was to give away the SR2/3 keys..didn’t notice until after I paid that it said you won’t receive giftable copies if you already own it :/ Sorry guys I tried to do something good!

10. stupid_mcgee says:

Can someone clarify something for me?

I heard Dead Island: Riptide was basically just Dead Island all over again with an additional character and higher levels. I can understand that being poor footing for a sequel and not much of an improvement, but how is DI:R worse than the original?

• SirKicksalot says:

It’s not worse than the original. It’s just cool to hate it.
      It’s not a full price game and there’s a ton of new content. It’s basically the same thing that Call of Pripyat was for Stalker – a big expandalone that continues the story and refines some of the design quirks.

11. InternetBatman says:

Risen 2 and Dead Island were 1/3rd of my Steam sale purchases. Sigh.

12. The Random One says:

Sacred 2 Gold sounds like a rap album from a clockpunk universe about the abuse of pre-Colombian peoples.

• Baines says:

It does, doesn’t it.

Which is a bit more funny when you consider Sacred 2′s music world connection is actually with the metal band Blind Guardian.

Comment on this story