Tower-Full: TowerFall PC Getting Full Single-Player Mode

By Nathan Grayson on July 31st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Awwww, that one's wearing a little coat.

Ouya darling TowerFall is coming to PC! What could possibly be better? An infinitely respawning tray of cookies – a cookie closet, if you will? A genie whose only job is to grant everybody’s wish for more wishes? An entire, fully functional TowerFall-themed tower as a pre-order bonus? No. The answer is a fleshed out single-player mode. That is the most exciting thing of all. The cookie tray is a close second, though. And the genie was a trick question because it is invariably evil.

Developer Matt Thorson gave a rundown of what we should expect in the much-anticipated (and appreciated) PC port in an interview with Shacknews:

“I’m already testing a bunch of new content for the Versus mode. There’s two new towers, some new powerups, archers, and variants, and a bunch of balance changes. I’m also planning a fully fleshed-out single player mode for players who don’t have friends to play versus mode with. It’s going to be a massive update. I can’t wait to see how people react.”

And also this, because awwwwwwwww.

“It’s always great to see the moment when players realize that they can catch arrows, and the gameplay implications of that. At the Ouya booth at E3 I saw a little girl get super excited about the game and drag her mom over to show her, that was almost too much for me.”

TowerFall is a very multiplayer oriented game, though. Generally speaking, single-player in these sorts of things is a nice diversion, but it’s no substitute for making pincushions out of real flesh-and-blood friends. I’m interested to see what sort of ideas Thorson has in store, but I’m not entirely convinced the mode will make up for the fact that I have no friends. And that’s what videogames are supposed to do, right? Be the be-all, end-all solution to all of life’s problems? Four out of ten for not lasting 1200 hours and teaching me how to love again.

At any rate, TowerFall’s PC version will likely be out in a couple months, though Thorson isn’t ready to commit to any specific date just yet. What’s your feeling on it? Ar(row)e you thinking of picking it up?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. pipman3000 says:

Ouya: All our good games have PC versions

• Smashbox says:

Ouya: Prop it weirdly on its side to minimize controller latency

• Moraven says:

Ouya: $200+ cheaper than consoles (new gen) $500+ cheaper than a reasonable PC setup.

But with a bad quality controller and costing $50 for a 2nd one… it really is in a weird spot. It shines as the emulator machine…

• wengart says:

I don’t see why games who already own a PC or will be buying various new consoles would get an Ouya, and people outside of the enthusiast crowd haven’t heard of it. I suspect that it will go quietly into the night over the course of the next couple years.

• HPLoveshack says:

Interesting thing is you can use ps3 or xbox controllers with it if you want, and they don’t lag.

• Baines says:

I’d assume that PS3/360 controllers don’t have the awful analog stick accuracy of the regular Ouya controller showed, either? (Someone tested a Ouya controller only to find the analog stick registered “clumps” and not evenly across its area. Like it would register a quarter-push as near zero or near halfway instead. (The values in that example are made up, as I don’t remember the actual performance pattern.))

• Vinsurgent says:

Seems to me, if you can carry a half-decent computer into your living room, you basically have an Ouya.
        At least you can play Towerfall, Samurai Gunn, Rayman Origins, and every emulator, and you don’t need a crazy gaming rig to do it.
        Add an HDMI cable and whatever controllers you want, and you just got a console without buying a console.

2. Njordsk says:

Cookies are overrated.

3. Winged Nazgul says:

Hope online multiplayer makes it in because that would just be brilliant.

4. The Random One says:

No one man should have all that tower

5. povu says:

For a moment I confused this with TowerClimb.

6. james.hancox says:

Oooh yeah.

7. Frosty840 says:

“It’s always great to see the moment when players realize that they can catch arrows, and the gameplay implications of that.”

Aaaaaaaaand everyone who has read this quote will now never get to experience that realisation. Cool.

8. Pokefreak911 says:

Being a big fan of Matt for years, I have complete and utter faith in his ability to make a brilliant single-player mode. I also know it will be harder than Satan himself.