Apollo-ing Conditions: Starpoint Gemini 2 In Development

By Cara Ellison on August 1st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

SPACE. The final frontier of videogame themes. These are the voyages of the Starpoint Gemini franchise, to go boldly where a lot of games have gone before: INTO THE LONGRUNNING SERIES! That is correct. Aptly named Starpoint Gemini 2, sequel to successful 2010 action space-sim with RPG sprinkles game Starpoint Gemini, is in development. A game Jim (Rossignol, not Kirk) called a “real-time space captain RPG”, the sequel is being made, and a very small video has been released, along with some details on the features of the new game.

Alpha footage featuring a dreadnought class vessel in the new Starpoint Gemini 2 – the Imperial Perun class.

When Jim initially had a look at Starpoint Gemini, he found that the battles in the game were more like naval engagements than traditional pew pew material in that manoeuvring your ship to have your vulnerables protected was a fine-tuned process. It also seemed a complex and at times very difficult game:

“Of course this kind of “become a pirate, or a trader” sort of options are pretty par for the course of space sims, but from what I have played so far I suspect that there is far more RPG-like depth to to SPG than you might otherwise expect. There seem to be so many skills, and so many ship-native abilities, that you’re going to discover some pleasing depth to all the non-curricular activities you get up to in the game, and craft tactics quite unique to yourself. Aside from everything else, there’s a rich space to explore and play around in, and that’s the kind of game design I can agree with.”

This time round, the team hopes to improve on a few things. In an interview with, again, the aptly named SpaceGameJunkie website, Little Green Men Games general manager Danijel Mihokovic said that the main features of the new game will be “The open universe that I mentioned before, and direct controls; I think it’ll be a great feeling to chase a cruiser with my corvette through a dense asteroid field, dodging asteroids and weapons fire, all the while trying to get that perfect aim to blast it out of the sky…” and this time round you can explore the entire game world as a whole, rather than individual “cut-out” maps, battle through a continuous universe divided into regions that provide special visual and gameplay experience with dynamic real-time combat. You can also hire mercenary captains to join up with you and plunder.

A bigger list of the features is available on Starpoint Gemini 2‘s website, but it’s only in the early development stages yet. It does seem to have a well-tended Facebook page, though.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. Splynter says:

Cara’s got her finger on the pulsar of the gaming world.

1. Fiatil says:

Can anyone comment on the original? A glance at the steam page reveals the game of my dreams, but the metacritic is really low on it. Is it just because it’s complicated/hard, or is it deeply flawed on some level?

• amateurviking says:

If I recall correctly, the voice acting and general translation were awful. It’s got some chops though, if you can get past the generally shonky presentation.

Edit: I think there’s a demo.

Edit Edit: There is a demo here under ‘downloads’: http://www.starpointgemini.com/spg1/

• Grygus says:

There’s a link in the article to Jim’s article on the game at the time; I found it informative, you should give it a go.

• cpeninja says:

The game is… interesting. Ignore the voice acting – it is low budget, and you get what you pay for. The biggest problem the game has is its design.

Actually, I’ll preface this: for $10, you get a lot of game that can fulfill a lot of desires to captain a starship.

I posted a partially depressing, somewhat meandering post on their forums a year ago about how I was done with the game for now. There are a number of issues – the way they handle collisions not-with-standing (long story short: you need a capital ship to survive later in the game, but cap ships are slow and cannot maneuver in asteroids, and you end up bouncing around, blowing away your shields, spending money… etc. BTW, asteroid fields are as prevalent as snow is in Skyrim).

But the game has lots of potential. Which is why I will buy the sequel.

• Brian Rubin says:

Starpoint Gemini is a fun time. It’s kinda like the tactical combat of Starfleet Command mixed with some light RPG’ish and open-worldey elements. If you can deal with the quirks of an eastern European game, you’ll likely have a good time. :)

• Miacelis says:

Honestly, original game surprised me nicely. Few things regarding production were a bit “cheap”, but that was probably due to the lack of funding. Overall, the game was extensive, interesting to play and reminded me of Freelancer to a degree

2. RedViv says:

What is it with these nice studio names today? Weird. And they all have interesting games!

3. The Random One says:

Looks like the battle for the worst headline pun of 2013 just got a new Challenger.

4. Splynter says:

Cara’s got her finger on the pulsar of the gaming world.

5. Brian Rubin says:

Thank you for the link to my site, Space Game Junkie. Always appreciated. :)

Comment on this story