Don’t Let It Catch You: Race The Sun

By Ben Barrett on August 1st, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Introducing: the world's prettiest blocks.

Those unlucky enough to follow me on twitter would have a very hard time not already having heard of Kickstarted dodge-the-environment game Race The Sun, given the three weeks or so I spent constantly playing it and reporting high scores, particularly unfair crashes or general “THIS GAME IS SO GOOD HOLY MOLY”s. For those unaware, there’s a trailer beneath, along with information on how to get your sleek, gorgeous hands (manicured nails? VERY nice. You know how to impress) on the beta.

I believe my original reaction to this trailer was, “oh, that is my fucking jam, yes sir,” followed by a quick pre-order for beta access. I’ve only just noticed that poster though. Why must videogames torture my wallet in this way? Anyway, you lucky fellow and fellowettes don’t have to drop a dime for similar privileges with details on limited free access now available. Since I chipped in developers Flippfly have added not only an entire co-operative and asynchronous multiplayer relay mode for teams of up to four, but also an entire level editor which the community has already put to use in original ways.

There’s also been a patch this very morning:

- Tons of relay mode fixes and tuning. Now multiplier, and powerups will carry over to the next player!
- Game will check for relay invites between rounds
- Daily highscores are now unlimited instead of just the top 10!
- Death screen shows your current highscore rank
- Fixed world editor screen resolution bugs
- Fixed bug where reaching 15 multiplier didn’t complete objective
- PUBLIC BETA: Unlocked 2 more levels (up to level 9)

If somehow you’re still unready to praise the sun, check out an old build over on Kongregate and then, once you’ve realised how wrong you were, race me to the Greenlight page before the 1.0 release arrives some time this month.

, .

Top comments

1. AeornFlippout says:

Hey all, developer here!
    I just wanted to let you know that if you tried to sign-up for the beta earlier, but were put-off by the GamesRadar account signup requirement, or the need to enter an address – rejoice, these barriers are no more!

1. Alexrd says:

I love these minimalist small games. Reminds me of Proun.

2. chiablo says:

Oculus Rift support please!

golem09 says:

The word Oculus is missing from this acrticle. Why?

4. Turkey says:

Looks like the first level of Starfox without any shooting.

5. King_Rocket says:

Would love to play this on my Oculus. :)

AlwaysRight says:

Ok Ben “Ben Barrett” Barrett if that is your real name. I’ve played along with your twitter fishing and am now following you. You have 3 tweets to prove to me that you have a place in my already crowded heart :-)

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Not that I mind new contributors to my favourite website, bring us fresh blood! But It’d be nice to have some sort of introduction to new authors. I feel like we all had a baby and don’t know the father or something.

Just tried the new update. Did RaceTheSun just throw nukes at me? that’s really mean. how am I supposed to evade blind?

But at least the random generation has been significantly ramped up. In previous versions the first world was always the same somehow. Much more exciting now. Well done! keep it up!

7. Rich Tea says:

It’s like Super Hexagon. In first person

8. AeornFlippout says:

Hey all, developer here!

9. epmode says:

Well, public beta is pretty great even though I’m a little put off by the social media integration. I guess I just don’t understand the bit about the relay run.

Screw it, I’m in for $10.

This could really use more coverage.

LTK says:

I’ve played this already, having Kickstarted it and all. It was good fun, but once I hit level 10 I ran out of challenges to complete, so it kind of loses Steam. It’s a great way to go fast, though!

• AeornFlippout says:

Thanks for backing our Kickstarter :)
      The final game will have 25 levels of upgrades, and at least one more built-in game mode!

We’re really hoping the mod community will come alive thanks to this public beta as well, and keep the interesting content flowing.

11. essentialatom says:

Seriously, what game ISN’T crying out for Oculus Rift support these days?

12. truths33ker says:

same guys who made Warp Rush for the tablet-thingies?

13. jamesgecko says:

I played the beta for a while and it was pretty fun. I’m a little bit confused about why it’s not a mobile game, though. I mean, the controls are super simple, and it’s an infinite running dealie, and there’s progressive unlocks to let you get farther.

I guess the level editor and portals to other player’s worlds is a pretty PC thing; I saw it in the promo video but haven’t messed around with it.

14. udat says:

Kinda reminds me of Deathchase on the Spectrum.