Love It Up: Hate Plus To Release Aug 19th

By Cara Ellison on August 1st, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
“Christine Love!” I would say, breathlessly, as I caught up with the prolific visual novel writer on her morning jog (possibly?), “You’re releasing Hate Plus your sequel to the phenomenal visual novel Analogue: A Hate Story soon, and I’m so excited!” “Oh Cara,” she’d say, brushing pink fronds of hair from her face as she effortlessly kept pace, “I know you’re so very excited. Thank you for the nice coverage of my games on RPS, by the way, you are the best website, and also Cara, you are the best writer. Alec understood my games, but honestly, I feel like you understand me.” “Oh Christine!” I would say. “I do understand you! Your games are so intelligent and well-written and…” HEY. YOU. GET OUT OF MY DREAMS. This ain’t no eroge.

“So,” I would say as I sit dressed in pink bows and love hearts, sipping Orange Pekoe tea, my eyes wide and shining, “your last visual novel, Analogue: A Hate Story was about investigating the final generation of the spaceship the Mugunghwa by reading through its dead crew’s logs, with the help of a spunky AI sidekick.” RPS’s own Alec of Meer wrote “Analogue is a sit-up-and-take-notice achievement in storytelling, in interface, in research, in mechanics and in moral ambiguity,” I recall.

“That’s right,” she would say, looking at me adoringly. What a wonderful person Cara is, she would be thinking immediately at that moment, and also she would want to do a sex on me. “I’m now releasing the sequel on the 19th of August,” she giggles cutely, “The premise is this: ‘My mission was supposed to be routine data recovery on an old derelict generation ship, but instead, I ended up rescuing an adorable AI girl who grew up in a tremendously patriarchal Neo-Confucian society? And now she’s discovered a bunch of messages left by the mysterious Old *Mute… and wants me to uncover with her the slow enactment of a regressive political program that caused her society to regress to Joseon Dynasty social mores?!’”

“Will there be more flirting?” I say sipping my tea.

“Of COURSE,” she would say, with a sly smile.

“And in the game,” I would say, amazingly hotly.

“Let’s spend the next three real-time days together uncovering the mystery of year zero on the Mugunghwa,” Christine Love would say to me. “♡ Please, look forward to your hateful days~! ♡”

“How can you even vocally articulate love hearts,” I would say, slightly grumpily.

Yeah, Hate Plus is coming out on the 19th of August, for $10 USD and with a free demo on Windows, Mac and Linux. Watch this space. Or you can try out the Analogue: A Hate Story demo for free, or buy the game here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. Ahkey says:

Ain’t no party like an S Club Eroge party

1. Totally heterosexual says:

Eeeeuoah what is up with that blond ones face.

2. Aerothorn says:

I do hate that save importing was announced after the fact – if I’d have known I wouldn’t have overwritten my original saves with stuff from trying to get different endings.

• skittles says:

I did ask precisely about this at one point. Christine informed that she is working on a method so that you can start a game from an ending of your choice. May have changed her mind though.

It will of course depend on how much of the original saves are important. Will it be important what you read in the original for instance?

• michaelfeb16 says:

Considering that you can’t save after an ending, I would imagine just having a 100% cleared game would be sufficient to allow you to choose which ending you want to start from.

3. lowprices says:

An advert for a game I’ve been planning to get AND self-penned RPS slash-fiction? Great days, my friends, great days.

• The Random One says:

This fucking horrible fanfiction is ruining my fanfiction. CaraXPorp OTP

• Cara Ellison says:

I ship Jim and KG, personally

• The Random One says:

But this ruins my other OTP, JohnXJim, or, as we fans call it, Jim

I’m starting to doubt your commitment to the RPS canon

• Smion says:

With the title “Sir, you are being hotted”, I hope.

• Syra says:

Sir, you are being sexed.

…now I think about it, would just involve robots picking people up and identifying them by their genitalia.

• lowprices says:

Actually, after your comments in the Love Hotel thread the other day, I ship Cara and KG.

• Cara Ellison says:

KG has way higher standards, conversely has lower standards of hygiene

• lowprices says:

I feel like you’re undervaluing yourself. You could totally land a comic man with low standards of hygiene!

… Hmm. That sounded more complimentary before I wrote it.

4. Splynter says:

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen “and in the game” used for flirting, albeit imagined. I played Don’t Take It Personally Babe, and loved it, but never got around to trying her other games. This looks intriguing, but I think I’d have to play Analogue first.

• nearly says:

Have you played Digital? That’s a lot of fun and probably wouldn’t take more than an afternoon or so. Pretty sure it’s available for free too

• HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

Digital remains my favorite, though my background in the Korean language made Analogue especially engaging. Don’t Take it Personally, Babe finishes last, but that’s not much of a negative considering the company it keeps. All are excellent titles with intelligent, thought-provoking narratives.

I don’t even mind the anime/manga/asian-inspired artwork in the two most recent releases. (Please forgive my ignorance on precisely what it should be called as I have never been interested in those types of drawings or animation.)

I think I might be a fan.

5. engion3 says:

Cara is a website, also how do you sip tea while jogging. I’m beginning to think all of this was fantasy.

I may try the first game. Looks interesting.

6. zin33 says:

cool. loved the first one

7. djbriandamage says:

For $10 it’s a little ridiculous how much content you’re getting. Love previously posted on Twitter that this game exceeded 90,000 words. That was an in-progress status report about a month ago. In contrast, the average novel has 80,000 words.

She’s an outstanding writer and an honest-to-goodness lover of computers and UI. I have RPS to thank for introducing me to the series’ prequel, Digital: A Love Story, which I love dearly (more than her subsequent works to be honest). I’m definitely preordering this puppy.

• maninahat says:

Because the value of a book is dictated by the word count, snark snark. Okay, it actually sorta does, but not to the extent you seem to be suggesting.

8. internisus says:

I don’t always like your writing, Cara, but right now I love it.

• Grey Ganado says:

Would you say you Christine Love it?

Edit: I have the weird feeling that I did the same joke in an article about one of her other games.

9. Tei says:

This can be good, but the typewritter effect to how text is show put me off. Why imitate limitations from 8 bits computers? Computers nowdays have more than 64KB of ram. Surelly theres a better way to show text. **scratch head** **returns to his commodore 64**

10. draglikepull says:

After reading this I kind of want to play the original Hate, but mostly I think I want to play Hate as rewritten by Cara.

• Cara Ellison says:

I should do more fanfic news posts. I am planning on writing a Wonder Woman text adventure for Jenn Frank’s Boobjam based on Wonder Woman forgetting to put a bra on in the morning. In my head it is the best thing ever, but we’ll see how it turns out.

• nindustrial says:

Is it because it’s invisible and she can’t find it?

• pailhoarse says:

Or will she be forced to improvise one with the Lasso of Truth and have to confront the implications of her superpowered existence as interpreted by the long-standing patriarchal model, each successive feminist wave, and the long lineage of writers and artists who have depicted her over the last 70+ years?

Oh, the horror…

• bstard says:

It probably will end up just a shadow on a cave’s wall.. as with all perfect idears.

11. Hodge says:

Yep, I’ll be playing this, I thoroughly dig everything Christine Love’s done.

And yes, as Cara… er, intimates above, the girl is quite disarming.

12. Ahkey says:

Eroges wish they had an AI Harem settings box.

13. RedViv says:

Cara x RPS news is my OTP now more than ever if that’s even possible

14. Nicodemus Rexx says:

“HEY. YOU. GET OUT OF MY DREAMS. This ain’t no eroge.”

This ain’t no party?
    This ain’t no eroge?
    This ain’t no foolin’ around?

Dang it, now I’ve made myself have to go listen to the Talking Heads.

15. JamesTheNumberless says:

Hmm, all my life I wanted to be a games programmer and it was largely based on reading games magazines as much as on playing games. Now I’m starting to wonder whether maybe it was the journalists having all the fun, all along.

It has been an epic day of RPS output.

16. CaspianRoach says:

I’m worried by the lack of Steam release mention.

• Mokinokaro says:

It’ll be on Steam. Love’s shown a few shots of her testing the overlay on twitter.

IIRC, it’ll only be on Steam and Gog.com at launch. Both versions are actually DRM free despite Steam being the delivery system (Analogue is as well.)

17. strangeloup says:

I am deeply, deeply confused. Mostly by the comments.

Also, to my mind a more important question than ““How can you even vocally articulate love hearts” is “how do you pronounce ‘~’”. Does it modify the tone of the preceding statement? I just don’t know.

18. Dominic White says:

Old *Mute: Totally not at all inspired by Christine Love’s lengthy and oft-hilarious liveblogged adventures through the complete Metal Gear saga, not a chance!

And Cara X RPS is the OTP of a lifetime.

19. TheBarringGaffner says:

For some reason, I can only hear “HEY. YOU. GET OUT OF MY DREAMS. This ain’t no eroge.” being read by Mr. Plinkett.

20. Junon says:

Just earlier this week I decided to finally check out Digital, don’t take it personally, and Analogue.

Digital inspired great feelings of nostalgia in me, both for my own adolescence and that of the internet. I grew up on the burgeoning web and not during the twilight of BBSes, but that feeling of breathlessly waiting for a private message from someone significant was nonetheless very familiar. I want to go find friends I haven’t talked to in 15 years just to see if they remember the past like I do… or if they still think about me all the time, too. Anyway, it resonated more than I expected. Also, the mod soundtrack was phenomenal.

don’t take it personally truly blew me away. I don’t think any game has wrung me through such a gamut of emotions – definitely not in such a short playtime. I laughed (a lot), I cried (well not a lot… ok I didn’t cry at all but I was very sad and dismayed), I got angry, and several times I was extremely nervous and anxious for the protagonist. So yeah, I liked the game from the start, but I didn’t really love it until reaching the end and cricital plot details come to the fore… I hesitate to call it a twist. But once it happens, everything that happened before is dramatically recontextualized… the game basically subverts its own plot. And ‘subversion’ is probably the largest entry in my mental tag cloud to describe this game. It’s the first Visual Novel I’ve ever actually played and it’s so damn clever I can’t see how many others could even compete… oh and the fucking soundtrack is so twee I turn super-deformed chibi when I hear it AND I LOVE THAT.

I only just started Analogue last night and I believe I’m about a third of the way through. So far it’s just as interesting as the last two in setting and plotting, but something about it is also not as immediately arresting as the others. I think that’s partly because up to the point I’ve reached it’s been far less metafictional and hasn’t prodded at the fourth wall or anything really cheeky yet. Still, I anticipate I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

And sounds like I’ll be finished just in time to carry right on to Hate Plus!

21. belgand says:

I think I’ll continue not being at all interested in any of her games if that’s alright. Visual Novels just aren’t my preference and adding heavy-handed sounding feminist themes (yes, oppressing women is bad, thanks for letting me know so I’ll get right on continuing to try not to do that) doesn’t make it seem much better.

Though, and I find it odd this is even a thing, I actually like the art. I don’t get the people saying they would be interested if it was done in a different style. It’s the one thing about the game that makes me want to play it.

• Cara Ellison says:

I know this sounds unlikely, but actually none of the games that Christine has written have been heavy-handed at all, even Analogue though it is Feminist, and Analogue was actually primarily written about the lives of women in the Jomon Dynasty (as a research topic) – from a modern perspective it would be hard to write about that without a tang of Feminism in it. I think lots of games, particularly big budget games do not handle themes or agendas with any sense of decorum or nuance, however one of Christine’s greatest gifts is her ability to write in a nuanced way about many different topics at once. That’s why we need more game makers like Christine who can knit subtext into interactivity: it is so hard to do.

• jrodman says:

I’ll agree her messages may be tactfully conveyed, but she really very heavy handidly pushed the teacher into fooling around with his students in “Don’t Take It Personally Babe”.

It’s fine to write a story that goes in directions I’m not comfortable with. Maybe I’ll learn something, or maybe I’ll put it down. But it’s not cool to present it as a fake version of my choice and railroad “me” into immoral actions anyway.

• Junon says:

mild vague-ish ‘don’t take it personally’ Spoilers ahead!!

By ‘fooling around with his students’ do you mean simply interjecting himself into their lives? Or actual amorous pursuits? Hard to tell since you used the plural students… For the former well.. that’s sort of the entire crux of the game… For the latter, that’s just one student, and you can successfully reject those propositions every single time. I will grant that the game iterates “are you sure? reaalllllly sure?” several times if you do that, and in some cases following through with it does seem to be the “better” outcome…. But I think the game spends so much effort in making you doubt your moral choice to really put you in the shoes of a very lonely twice-divorced greenhorn high school teacher.

I also think that scenario was made the first chapter to immediately set up and topple over certain cliches and preconceptions about VNs (and much anime, tbh).

• jrodman says:

You can’t reject entering into romantic situations with your students.

if you think it’s totally cool to compromise yourself with your students but not actually boink them, then I am done here.

—–
            Seperately yes. As a teacher, I’m going to avoid becoming significantly involved in my students lives *by default*. Sure, if someone is going to a competition I might stop by to cheer. But I’m certainly not going to take them out to dinner one on one, etc. as a matter of course. Especially not when they’re clearly flirting with me.

If you want to write those plotlines, fine. But don’t give me fake choice about it.

• Junon says:

You most certainly can reject every last advance, because that’s exactly what I did. I thought I might be badly misremembering the end of the game but I just replayed it. Just saying “no” every time works. I will repeat that this seems to present the ‘bad’ ending (in that the epilogue is shorter by a card or two). If you’re taking exception with the protagonists ongoing internal conflict even after you, the player, have made your decision, well, I don’t know how to respond to that… that’s first-person fiction for ya. The protagonist here is not simply a blank screen to project yourself entirely.

And please don’t make assumptions about my own moral standards, at least not with such a dismissive tone, and definitely not when discussing binary decision trees in a text adventure.

As to your separate point, the entire premise of the game is that your character is allowed full access to the students’ social networks and encouraged to check up regularly. That IS the game. I quite enjoy wanton crime sprees in GTA, but my worst offenses in the real world are speeding violations. An an extreme comparison, I admit… but might I suggest that your professional background has negatively affected your willingness to suspend disbelief in this case?

• jrodman says:

I hope you’re not a teacher.

You can say that you don’t want to date them. You can’t say that you don’t want to do totally unreasonable compromising things that put yourself and your students into confusion and questionable scenarios.

This really has nothing to do with being a teacher, which I’m not, but me choosing to play the role of a teacher in a game that offers such. It offers fake choice, and railroads me into decisions I don’t make that are immoral and damaging to the students. Uhh.. Sure, the point of the game is to get me embroiled into these quandries, but it does so hamfistedly and offputtingly. It’s a bad construction.

• Mokinokaro says:

That’s kind of why I think “Don’t Take it Personally, Babe” is her worst novel. It just doesn’t quite get its point across without feeling quite heavy handed about it. It tried to force its message a bit too much. Even the best authors and game designers make missteps sometimes though.

Analogue, on the other hand, is actually very nuanced in its themes. As Cara said, it’s much more of a historical study (and here’s a scary thought: Analogue actually was a toned down form of the Jomon Dynasty.) It’s an incredibly well written little game that has me really looking forward to the sequel. Especially since the sequel seems to be giving more story to an important Analogue character who didn’t get much spotlight.

22. His Divine Shadow says:

Theorem: Cara Ellison would make an excellent politician.
    Proof: A politician’s main occupation is to promise things, and Cara’s articles certainly show a lot of promise. Q.E.D.
    (seriously, no pun thread yet?)

23. MadTinkerer says:

Ooooh, so many games coming out around my birthday at the end of the month! It’s tempting to listen to the soundtrack now, but I want to wait those few more weeks to play the full game!