Rise Of The Triad Is Finally Reborn

By John Walker on August 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Rise Of The Triad is back, in aitch dee. The 1994 ultro-violent shooter has been remade by Interceptor Entertainment, and is now available on GOG and Steam… What, you mean, you never played Rise Of The Triad? Let me explain…

(I never played Rise Of The Triad either! I don’t know how I missed it. It wasn’t like I deliberately avoided any FPSs in 1994. In fact, I ate them like they were pink shrimps. I was 16 – it wasn’t like I had anything better to be doing. It was Apogee, for goodness sake! I spent enough time pratting around with the Commander Keen shareware, and I didn’t play this?! I’m a failure.)

A classic gibfest, it does seem to have been relatively forgotten by the modern world. (No, not by you – you remember it well, and go on about it all the time. I mean by the wider consensus.) Here’s what it used to look like:

WHY DIDN’T I PLAY THIS?! WHAT HAPPENED?

Anyhow, it now looks like this, if you’re a dog:

Oh GOG, you wags. It also looks like this:

I might play this.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Dominic White says:

I’m almost through the first episode (of four) of this, and… well, it’s Rise Of The Triad. They did it – they managed to absolutely capture the weird Wolfenstein On Hallucinogens design of RoTT and wrap it in modern technology.

A lot of people will hate it for this, because it plays like no other shooter out there. Your bullet weapons all have unlimited ammo. There’s a reload button, but it just plays a fancy animation and doesn’t actually DO anything. There are no headshots. Outside of bullet guns, everything is a temporary powerup. Enemies are dumb as bricks and attack in swarms, and the level design is just downright strange.

Oh, and the horror stories are true: The game uses checkpoints. If you get stuck on a level, try playing on a lower difficulty setting instead of gnashing and wailing that the game is too hard on Hard mode.

For what it’s worth, I’m loving it. It really is RoTT, modernized. Even the ‘slow but heavy’ character runs at about 30mph.

Edit: Oh yeah, the first level of RoTT2013 is a direct remake of the first level of RoTT, right down to letting you rampage around in God Mode for a while.

• phelix says:

Even the ‘slow but heavy’ character runs at about 30mph.

Ha! Reminds me of playing The Elder Scrolls: Arena through DosBox.

• woodsey says:

As someone who grew up with shooters once they were pretty much done with that sorta stuff – earliest shooter memories begin with Half-Life – I can confirm that that sounds absolutely horrendous.

• Dominic White says:

So, bunny-hopping sideways at ludicrous speed while raining massive room-clearing explosions down at enemies (who are rendered instantly into meaty red fountains) holds no appeal? Your loss.

• woodsey says:

I get the super-fast challenge aspect – even if it’d make me want to murder a wall, or possibly induce an epileptic fit – but not even having feedback as basic as headshots seems very odd. I can’t imagine how the shooting feels satisfying with any sort of regular-bullets gun.

• Dominic White says:

Given that the standard enemy reaction to being shot with an MP40 in this game is being literally torn in half, entrails exploding out like meaty noodles, I’ll take that over one-hit, one-kill headshots.

• mouton says:

Headshots are unrealistic gamey bullshit anyway in the sense of being required for one-hit elimination – in real life, people hit by a bullet generally stop moving much regardless of hit location.

Old school games like RoTT at least don’t pretend they are anything but.

• bill says:

Headshots were really cool when the tech first got good enough to do them. IT was ohhh so ‘realistic’.

But then every game started doing them, and then they had to tone down the movement to allow you to do them, and all the guns had to become the same, and then basically every game became only headshots. So we ended up with CoD style “whack a mole” gameplay of shooting the pop up heads.

Like iron sights, it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, or in moderation, but basically took over.

• Ham Solo says:

Sounds like you never played Quake 3 Arena then.

• yhalothar says:

Oh, the lack of headshots is not a big deal, since most of the time you will be gibbing your opponents en masse with one of the plentiful and varied rocket launchers strewn everywhere.

• Kobest says:

Exactly my thoughts. It IS Rise of the Triad as if it was made in 2013, and I love it. Not some ROTT skin on some lame generic two-weapon slot/regenerating health FPS mechanic.

Sure, it has some issues (performance, glitches, and so on) but damn, FPSs don’t get more ridiculous and arcade-y than this one.

And I thought that after Call of Juarez Gunslinger, this year was finished with really enjoyable FPSs…

• bill says:

Is it DOOM/QUAKE fast or is it Warsow fast?
      Because I can’t keep up with the latter.

• Kobest says:

I would say it’s faster than DOOM/Quake. For me, it took some time to get used to, but then again, aiming is a bit tricky if you don’t change some values in the .ini files or wait for the patch.

• povu says:

Checkpoints, again? Didn’t people complain loudly enough with Hard Reset?

• Shooop says:

The only thing I really don’t like the sound of in it is the jumping sections. It’s incredibly hard to make precision jumps in first-person when you can’t see your feet. And the high movement speed of this game probably makes it a nightmare.

Is there a no-clip console command for getting past those and getting back to the glorious ultra-violence Triad should be all about?

• TheTingler says:

I absolutely love old-school FPSs, straight fun blastathons with secrets all over the place… the problem is Rise of the Triad just – IN MY OPINION – misses the fun mark. Enemies are dull to fight, weapons barring the many types of Rocket Launcher aren’t fun to shoot, and both of these are layovers from the original which – let’s face it – was never that good. Doom, Blood, Duke 3D, Quake, even f***ing Exhumed was more fun to play.

Plus, the bounce-pads are far too hit-or-more-likely-miss and the checkpoint save system is poorly thought out, badly implemented, and detrimental to the “explore and find secrets!” atmosphere.

2. John Connor says:

No demo? Lame.

• Njordsk says:

welcome in 2008.

• Deadly Habit says:

Actually they will be releasing one or shareware if you will.
      Unfortunately I’m in what seems to be in the majority of people having framerate issues, so hopefully they’ll get a patch out soon even though it’s been less than 24 hours from release.
      Everything else captured the original perfect.

• derbefrier says:

Majority may be a bit of an exaggeration. Every pc game ever released will have a small percentage of players with technical problems and this one seems no worse than any other game. I see a few people on the forums bitching but for everyone that complains there is at least one praising the game. It runs great for me and my rig is pretty average.

• mouton says:

Well, nowadays we have effortless piracy which can be used as a demo, if one sticks to their internal will-buy-if-like promise. Not a perfect solution (although sometimes better – AssCreed 2 worked better pirated due to ubiplay having been stripped off) but usable, if one wants to test compatibility with one’s machine.

• Deadly Habit says:

Take a look on the Steam and GOG forums, it seems to be a majority of people having issues, not just a small percent unfortunately.

• Dervish says:

The majority of people posting about problems are experiencing them? No way.

3. XhomeB says:

The game is a love letter to the late ’90s school of FPS – fast paced, with good level design (no corridor-cutscene/scripted sequence-corridor-cutscene/scripted sequence kind of affair) and accurate weapons, but the optimisation leaves a lot to be desired – the devs are working on a fix, supposedly, so it’s not a deal-breaker. That, and the engine RoTT’s built on are its biggest flaws.
    UE3 is simply too clunky for a twitch-based shooter – the wacky physics and movement scheme with a great sense of momentum idTech 2-3 engines were famous for are absent here. They should have altered those things a bit.

Still, I’m having a blast. It’s not perfect (see above), but it’s a lot of fun. Very “liberating” compared to “anemic” shooters made today.

EDIT: Yep, almost forgot about one thing – there’s no Quicksave feature. WHAT. They need to patch that in asap.

• Deadly Habit says:

Worth noting there are some mouse fix posts stickied on their Steam forums that fixed some of the problems I had with aiming feeling a bit slippery rather quickly and more akin to the old idTech games rather quickly. Now I’m just playing a waiting game with the framerate fixes.

• mouton says:

Quicksave sucks. It encourages retrying every minor encounter, if you thought you lost too much health. I hated it in DN3D, I hated it in Doom, I hated it in HL1/2 etc. On the other hand, I loved Aliens vs Predator 1999 game exactly because you couldn’t save during levels.

Of course, checkpoints can be made poorly, especially when they force you to repeatedly watch unskippable cutscenes (not a problem in rott, lol) or are spread too wide. But done right, they are superior to quicksaves.

• Kobest says:

Still, it would be nice to have as a choice. I barely have time to play a game, and sometimes I have to pause it to attend to other things, so it would be nice to have.

• mouton says:

You can pause it, can you not? Also, the checkpoints are reportedly spaced well. If you have to constantly drop everything and power off your PC, then perhaps this hobby is too time consuming anyway.

• Kobest says:

Jesus…it’s a simple feature which I don’t mind the lack of, but it would be nice to have. You can have tons of reasons why you would want a quicksave/save slot option. If here is a game that says “old school is back,” then dang it, is it too much to ask for a save slot that was found in ALL FPSes from that time?

• jrodman says:

How amusingly condescending. To avoid having my view of humankind adjusted downwards, I’ll assume you’re a troll.

• mouton says:

It was not my intention to sound condescending, really. Just saying that if a well made – that’s key – checkpoint system is not enough for progress at a reasonable pace, then the person in question’s life might have evolved into something that is way too hectic to allow a decent level of enjoyment of the more time/attention consuming games.

This is not a judgement. Different people, different priorities.

• RegisteredUser says:

Agreed.
          Doesn’t even need to be a quicksave, for all the reasons outlined against it, but at least a “Quit and save HERE” feature is in my opinion mandatory for every and _all_ PC games.

Not just because PC gaming > *, but because a lot of people do have a life and not the nerves to constantly replay the same spots over and again because their available timeslot is at times smaller then what the devs thought is normal enough pacing and spacing between checkpoints.
          (Almost) None of the cheese, all of the comfort!
          Gaming should never be a hassle.

• XhomeB says:

Not this argument again. Please.
        Exploiting Quicksaves is not mandatory. If they make the game too easy for you, simply don’t use them.
        I like saving at the most opportune moment so I can re-play certain especially fun sequences many times, trying to do things differently. Why should the game arbitrarily deny the player that opportunity? It’s not Rainbow Six, where the lack of saving during missions made perfect sense, it’s a fast paced shooter which seems to encourage you to do crazy things.

• mouton says:

Well I know it now and could control it If I had to. But I did not have such control in my teenage years and it did hurt my experience.

Also, If checkpoints are done right quicksaves are simply not needed.

• Miltrivd says:

So the problem is you, not the feature.

More choices is never a bad thing. Now I understand that some people lack any kind of self control, it would be nice if games with quicksaving started adopting a setting that could disable it before entering the game, that way you cannot get tempted mid-game.

• mouton says:

Partially, yes, the problem is usually the player.

On the other hand, a game design should, by itself, guide proper behaviour and not rely on a player to limit himself. For example, many games are unbalanced in terms of difficulty, powers/weapons you use etc. Thus, you could always say that every game is basically fine, as the player could balance it all by himself, by not using some tactics/guns, not go to some places were AI is badly scripted and cannot fight etc.

• TheTingler says:

A) Don’t use them! Unbind the damn key if the temptation is too great!
        B) The checkpoints in ROTT are badly implemented. You’re right, they can work if done well. Here they’re absolutely not and I was sick of the game by level 2.

• woodsey says:

So unbind your quicksave key and let the rest of us play without having to prove we can do things we’ve already done.

• Artificial says:

Quicksaves would spoil the highscores. the levels aren’t exactly long and the checkpoints are well placed. It feels more of a challenge without a quick save feature. Just man up and either pause the game or quit and star from the beginning again later.

4. Mungrul says:

I started playing it late last night after finishing off the main campaign in Shadowrun Returns, and what little I played had me grinning. It’s a throwback to the original round of FPS games, but in a very, very good way.
    It’s stupidly fast, there are tons of secrets and it’s brutally hard. It forces you to memorise its levels the same way the old classics did. I’m sure that like E1M1 et al, certain of these maps will be burned into my brain soon.

5. RedViv says:

Ludicrous vids!

6. Dominic White says:

I’d just like to point out that the checkpoints are only a couple of rooms apart most of the time, and if you do get stuck, you can continue from any checkpoint found on any level at any difficulty. The only penalty for doing this is a lower score (and there are global leaderboards).

As for performance, it seems to be wildly variable – some people with ridiculously beefy PCs seem to be having trouble. I have a thoroughly mid-range gaming machine (i5 3570k, 8gb RAM, 660ti) and run it at Ludicrous detail, 1080p. It’s 50-60fps most of the time, although it can drop as low as 30-ish when a lot of physics stuff is happening at once.

7. Erkin says:

With my 2500k+ 660ti, I am very far from the 120fps that they promise us (and which are need for me to enjoy a such fast fps). Actually, with all in very low, my framerate drops at 50 fps.

I would have appreciated that reviews say something about this big problem, before my purchase.

• archagon says:

Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of people are having technical issues right now, especially those with AMD cards. I have an AMD 6850 and I can’t even run the game over 20fps… on Low settings… at 1024×768. Hope they release a patch soon — I can’t wait to play!

• squareking says:

It’s an Unreal 3 game, so you might try maxing out settings and see if that works. Yes, I know that makes no sense, but it works well for many.

• archagon says:

I started out on max settings and gradually lowered them to see how low I had to go.

• frightlever says:

Noone will ever need more than 24fps.

8. Dog Pants says:

Oh but I did play RoTT back in the day. Which makes my most pressing question does it retain the Excalibat?

9. Barberetti says:

Unlimited ammo and checkpoints are bullshit, as is the lack of a playable demo. However, the rest sounds great and it’s only a tenner, and they’ve kindly released a non-Steam version so what the hell!

*bought*

• frightlever says:

The old ROTT was as much an arcade shooter with platforming as it was an FPS. You wouldn’t expect to have limited ammo in Zaxxon, would you?

• jrodman says:

All games that look the same should play the same.

Signed,
        The Game Bureau

• Barberetti says:

ROTT is no more an “arcade shooter” than Doom, Duke3D or Q3A.

• Dominic White says:

I’m pretty sure it’s far more arcade-style than any of those, what with the focus on speedrunning, score, use of colourful powerups, coin-hoarding and all that jazz. You could literally put it in an arcade cabinet and it’d be a good fit.

• Barberetti says:

All you’ve got so far is Duke 3D not having colourful power-ups.

• soldant says:

You are aware that the original had unlimited ammo for the pistols and MP40, right? Namely because the principle means of killing was always using the various rocket launchers strewn around the map.

• Barberetti says:

Yeah, it was one of the few things I didn’t like about the original.

• PoulWrist says:

How is unlimited ammo different from every other game out there?

• Tomac says:

Yeah it’s really no different than picking up the 100s of clips dropped from the 100s of people you mow down in modern games. Besides, only the bullet-based weapons have unlimited ammo.

10. LordMidas says:

Classic:
    “You ate some Priest Porridge”

11. BTAxis says:

Now they need to do this kind of throwback with Doom. Or better yet, Heretic (no, Dark Messiah doesn’t count).

• Lemming says:

an updated Heretic or Hexen would be fucking brilliant. Also, whatever that FPS was on PC where you had some kind of blade weapon and could chop heads off. I forget what it was, but I think it was a fully-3D one.

• bstard says:

Yeh a real Doom, not that scary sneaky darky knob-jockey stuff, but the real thing, where you zoom around some base in highspeed, chainsawing Pinko’s and chain rocketing a demonlord or a hurd of flying tomato deamons. ‘Bllluuuuu! bluuuu!’ Now that would be another insta buy.

12. derbefrier says:

The game is awesome. Can’t wait for steam workshop integration.

13. DrScuttles says:

Rise Of The Triad was silly. And that’s great. This version seems silly also, and that too should be great.

14. Kinch says:

Amazing, in 1994 I was 16, too! ;)

The game’s on my ‘wish-I-had-the-time’ list. Hope it’s good. Having some doubts since Joystiq gave it only 3 stars.

15. GamesInquirer says:

I’m a big enough fan of old school FPS games. I adore One Unit Whole Blood, I like Duke Nukem 3D and the Doom games, I found Exhumed/Powerslave (on console, the PC game of the same name was sadly awful) to be an incredible experience. I’ve played/replayed it all relatively recently, it’s not nostalgia.

But this thing, this is half-finished at best. It has performance issues yet looks extremely garish. It has no sense of style or coherency. It has gameplay issues (hit or miss melee detection, dodgy iron sight systems, broken damage direction indicator, poor AI with hitscan weapons, sub par level design, and so on). If the game it’s based on is great like some of the games in my first paragraph (I haven’t played it) I recommend playing that instead of this re-imagining.

Hard Reset (from the same developers, right?) wasn’t a great game but at least it felt finished, polished and its world had a coherent look where every element blended in decently enough.

I’ve played through a few levels of this game’s Steam version and I just can’t keep going. It’s bad. This is not how a classic FPS should return. Go replay One Unit Whole Blood instead, it has similar B movie tones (but on the horror side) yet is far more successfully presented and leagues ahead in gameplay. Shit, it looks better than this 2013 game. Seriously. All you need is bmouse.exe and it’s perfect.

• Kobest says:

These are new developers called Interceptor Entertainment. They were working on Duke Nukem Reloaded but that got shut down by Gearbox. Hard Reset is from Flying Wild Hog (ex-People Can Fly people), and they’re behind the upcoming Shadow Warrior remake.

While I understand your criticism, I think we will sadly never go back to those FPSs anymore, and the new ROTT might be the closest thing we get. It’s pretty good IMHO, but needs some patching. They could have done some early Beta access to iron these things out though.

• GamesInquirer says:

Oh, right, Shadow Warrior. I hope that turns out better then!

The original is another classic I haven’t really played but I did try a level or two and it seemed fairly solid and potentially more entertaining than this thing.

• Kobest says:

I hope so too, but come to think of it, the gameplay videos of that look a bit Painkillerish rather than having elements from Shadow Warrior.

Sure, it has a katana, and gore, but I really, really hope that it will have good level design (linear, but areas to explore), inventory (that is actually useful), humor (I hope they don’t tone down some one-liners) and some challenge to it.

• BlitzThose says:

I played the new Shadow Warrior at Rezzed and there was no politically incorrect humour and no stereotype lo wang voice they have replaced his audio with that of a yank…

So unless they make major changes it will be shit rather than the shit

Who wanta some Wang? Me not so much…

• Tom De Roeck says:

then again, its only 15€.

• GamesInquirer says:

I don’t really care about the price, I’m just not entertained.

I’ve played free games that were amazing.

Like Locomalito’s who just released his new side scrolling shoot em up Gaurodan and everyone should play it and his other gems.

Except 8bit killer. Not his best, but he should revisit it.

• Teddyman says:

Yeah, this game is just bad and riding on the PR of being an old-school shooter when it’s really far away from one. It’s “fast” as in you run fast, but the enemies will hit you with their hitscan weapons all the same so you’re better off standing still. All the enemies I saw in the first 4 levels were grey and brown soldiers and the levels were grey and brown military complexes. The only challenge in the game is actually seeing the enemies against the background. It’s telling that I’m considering reducing the FOV to 80 or less just to see where to shoot.

The 3 bullet weapons you get are the most basic ever and each one seems to obsolete the previous one. The clips are unlimited (the reload button is in the game just to fuck with you) so you never need to switch away from the SMG. I found 4 different rocket launchers in my time playing and you can only carry one at a time. Considering you would never use the pistol or dual pistols and can’t drop the SMG this is worse than the hated two weapon system. The rockets don’t feel that great to use anyway considering that they fire off center and not blowing yourself up in close quarters is tough.

On top of it all you have the minor annoyances like your crosshair being hard to see and bugs like your gun or enemies disappearing. The “funny” features quickly become annoying with your character repeating the same line every time you pick up a weapon or constantly burping after picking up food. If you want an oldschool single-player experience play Painkiller or even something like the 2009 Wolfenstein or Bulletstorm.

• Dominic White says:

It’s funny that almost everything you’re complaining about is exactly as it was in the original Rise Of The Triad. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I really do expect reviews to be split between those who love it because it’s just like RoTT, and those who hate it for those same exact reasons.

• GamesInquirer says:

Right because they couldn’t possibly improve on an old game other than adding garish 3D graphics and iron sights, huh? As I said, I haven’t played the original. If it was exactly like this, a half broken game with redundant elements and overall bad design, I guess I didn’t miss out. Not having played it, going by the hype I expected a game akin to the good retro FPS games I have previously played. I didn’t get that, hence the disappointment.

• Kryopsis says:

I like how you keep browbeating everyone with your opinion like it’s a fact that people should acknowledge. “Oh, you happen to like ROTT? WRONG! It’s a bad game! Acknowledge it! ACKNOWLEDGE IT!”… Most of the complains you had could be raised against the original game. You keep at it but is it hard to understand that a 2013 game called ‘Rise of the Triad’ is a remake of a 1994 game called ‘Rise of the Triad’, designed for people who enjoy ‘Rise of the Triad’? Because believe it or not, it makes sense to me. Also, you can stop name-dropping mid-90′s FPS titles just to build-up your credibility a little. Your credibility as a player, as somebody who enjoys video games, as a person who can link up two sentences on the internet goes out the window the moment you say, and I quote, “Shit, [Blood] looks better than this 2013 game.” Basically, the only thing that makes sense to me is you’re deliberately trying to get people outraged with some of the most inane comments seen in this discussion, and make them visit your blog.

[...]

Teddyman: Gotta go fast! Enemies can’t hit you with hitscan weapons if you’re running circles around them. Seriously, load up any level and race through it without firing a shot. See how far you can get without dying. Your movement is bound to improve after this.

• Teddyman says:

The running circles thing doesn’t work very well, you’ll probably reduce your own damage output by more than the enemies. Either way the map design prevents this, they put enemies on ledges on the edges of the room that will hit you anyway.

• Dervish says:

“Enemies can’t hit you with hitscan weapons if you’re running circles around them.”

Uh, if they’re actually hitscan, then yes of course they can.

• GamesInquirer says:

First of all, Blood does look better. It’s charming, consistent, chunky and delightfully retro. This thing is just ugly with no redeeming visual qualities. Which would be ok if the gameplay was enjoyable.

Secondly, your own credibility goes out the window when you merely attack others for their opinions instead of present something good about the game, other than saying certain flaws were in the original so it’s ok to have them (and avoiding to discuss those that weren’t).

Thirdly, I’m not after anyone. I’m replying to replies to my reply. You on the other hand apparently hunted for negative comments to attack.

Finally, I didn’t post the games I’ve played as credentials but as a preemptive counter-argument against people like yourself, who are so aggressive they would likely roast someone who would merely say he dislikes the game, with silly talk about his inability to enjoy old school titles.

• Kryopsis says:

Teddyman: Yeah, I agree with you: the enemies that are standing above you behind some cover are hard to hit without a rocket weapon. You can avoid shots from the ground opponents, though. As far as reducing your own damage potential, I’m not so sure. Have you disabled mouse acceleration yet? I highly recommend repeating the steps in this post: http://steamcommunity.com/app/217140/discussions/0/846960481985731578/

Dervish: Enemies don’t have perfect aim, no matter what algorithm used for their weapon projectiles.

• AvistTorch says:

I’m only playing on Normal, but if I’m running fast in open areas, few if any enemy bullets hit me. I’m not sure exactly how enemy bullets are calculated, but whatever it is, I’m pretty sure it does take your movement into account.

As for aiming while running really fast, I figure that’s a skill that was quite important back in the Quake/Unreal days. Of course, I was never good at that, but this game is giving me reason to try and improve.

(On a side note, the hit-direction indicators are completely messed up, so I’m not sure what’s going on there.)

It’s a buggy game right now with performance issues, and certainly not something everyone is going to enjoy. However, it seems to be game I was waiting for.

• Dominic White says:

The actual projectiles most enemies fire are hitscan, but where they actually AIM always lags slightly behind your movement. A full-speed strafe will ensure that almost nothing hits you. Unlike Call of Duty and its million derivatives, you can actually dodge bullets.

Whoa.

• soldant says:

Comments like this one pretty much reinforce my belief that the ‘golden age of classic FPS games’ wasn’t really as great as we all like to remember. So much of this is a direct port of the original ROTT with fancier graphics that it’s as close as you can get to a modern-visual classic 90s FPS game.

I find it pretty amusing that people are claiming that it isn’t representative of the early-mid 90s FPS games when it quite clearly is. I think we’ve all moved on a bit and expect more from FPS games, so as much as people keep pining for a “straight” remake of Doom or Quake I think we’re all just going to end up hating it anyway.

• Lagwolf says:

What he said…

16. Detocroix says:

Oh my god John Walker, Oh MY GOD.

That link to that candy shop, that candy shop all the damn candies that I ate as kid and were lost when the candy shops went bankrupt. NOW I CAN ORDER RETRO FLYING SAUCERS FROM UK TO FINLAND.

oh and Rise of the Triad was great!

17. Zombat says:

Oh wow an FPS with an FOV greater than 60

18. HermitUK says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6fiyRnYLw Having seen this, my enthusiasm waned.

• PoulWrist says:

Seems like your PC could do with a bit of housekeeping.

• HermitUK says:

Not my video. Friend linked it to me when I mentioned I was thinking of purchasing it. That said, haven’t heard too much else about performance issues and bugs so far.

• Dominic White says:

Wow, can’t say I’ve seen ANYTHING like that in the game so far. Worst I’ve gotten is getting pushed outside the game-world by a crusher wall while in god mode.

• XhomeB says:

It looks like he was glitching the game on purpose most of the time, taking advantage of certain things you can enable using the “F” keys. Pressing F4 freezes the time in the game, F8 shows wireframe or disables lighting, things like that.

The game does have small bugs, sure, but nothing major. This video? It’s disgusting and manipulative.

• HermitUK says:

Ah, so it’s just debug keys then. That’s good to know, was concerned this was another Colonial Marines.

19. Rubyace says:

How does the multiplayer work and is there people playing it? It is the only thing I am interested in this game

• Mario Figueiredo says:

It’s an FPS. What do you mean how does the multiplayer work? If it is a polygon you can shoot it. This isn’t a strategy game, you know.

• Rubyace says:

I take it that you don’t spent too much time with FPS games coming from smaller teams or you have managed to avoid bad ones. There is a lot of FPS games with connection problems, lack of dedicated servers and all that. And this game is coming from dev team of 6 guys so I have no reason to go in blindly.

Granted I should have been more specific but still, try to think.

• MadTinkerer says:

I think you might have missed Mario’s point. Although, to be fair, they did actually include multiplayer in ROTT2013, so I understand why you might have missed it. But his point still holds true, you know. ;)

• ResonanceCascade says:

The multiplayer is OKish. The bullet weapons are completely useless and it’s really hard to see the other characters, since they blend in with the levels a lot of the time. Imagine Quake but even faster, but without the pinpoint precision and weapon balance. It’s frenetic and sloppy in ROTT.

• MadTinkerer says:

“It’s frenetic and sloppy in ROTT.”

Well I should hope so! I didn’t play a lot of the original, but I distinctly remember that being one of the main features. It’s trying as hard to be like Doom/Quake as Ken’s Labyrinth was trying to be Wolfenstein 3D (i.e. not at all, other than the algorithms used to put the graphics on the screen).

• ResonanceCascade says:

And that makes it fun how, again?

It’s not terrible, but I’m not fond of the argument that the original had bad weapon balancing and sloppy rocketry, so therefore this must carry all of its flaws forward. That might make for a nice 5 minute nostalgia trip, but that’s about it.

I do like the single player well enough though.

• Lagwolf says:

The multi-player is pretty lame & buggy. Laggy, terrible clipping and you are lucky to get 30 FPS even on the best setting. It is hard to see other players because graphics are so dull. That is when multiplayer doesn’t crash the game/your machine and you can get into it.

The solo game is a buggy mess. $15 for a crappy nostalgia trip seems a bit much. If you must wait until its on sale.

20. C0llic says:

LUDICROUS GIBS!!

I remember this fondly. It was one of those games I never bought, but I played the shareware version to death.

21. StormFuror says:

I’m loving it! Talk about a nostalgic blast from the past. I also found a secret level that uses textures from the 94 game. Two thumbs up from me :D

22. Lagwolf says:

My take on the game… Rise of the Triad… more like Rise of the Trying.

23. waaaaaaaals says:

Now we just need a Strife remake and then a Heretic remake and then a Hexen remake and then Blood and then Descent and Descent 2 and so on and so on.

By the time they’re done remaking games, they’ll be able to start remaking the remakes.

24. syllopsium says:

some of you are rather missing the point. This isn’t a strategy shooter and it’s not fair.

The point is to make everything go BOOM – people, windows, plants etc. yes, later in the game there are rock hard enemies such as NME and a bit more technique is required but this is no Jedi Knight.

The multiplayer is unfair – yes, it’s possible to play properly and win but mostly the attraction is seeing a flamewall head towards your opponent and see them turn into a skeleton. It’s over the top fun.

25. Lagwolf says:

Actually no its a buggy mess that doesn’t look that great & ain’t worth $15. You can excuse a poorly made game just because its OLD SCHOOL.