Still A Title: Megabyte Punch

By Ben Barrett on August 1st, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Happy to judge this by its cover.

Good ol’ Jim gave Megabyte Punch a mention back in February noting, as I have now, what a wonderful name the Super Smash Brothers inspired robot beater has managed to acquire for itself. Now it’s back with a release trailer making a date with us for August 6th, viewable beyond THE MISTS OF TIME AND SPACE (or below).

If that was a little frenetic for you, grab a play of the demo over on Kongregate. Having just given it a whirl, I was surprised by how smooth movement and combat were and how easily the blocky models and bright textures differentiated themselves from one-another and the background. Playing on a keyboard wasn’t a problem either, another surprise for a game with roots in such an inhuman control scheme.

If MEGABYTE PUNCH (stylisation author’s own) is to your immaculate tastes – seriously, you know your stuff, well done – consider voting for it on Greenlight or dropping £10 for the pre-release version over on Desura. Otherwise, keep your money held tight and your eyes peeled on the official website for news of the 20% off release sale on the Humble Store. If you’re feeling wealthy, there’s even word of a $20 extra-special edition with soundtrack, wallpapers and more levels.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BTAxis says:

Never having played a Smash Bros game, what’s the appeal of this game formula?

• apocraphyn says:

Well – it’s a 1-4 player competitive beat ‘em up romp, typically designed to be played locally. As with any multiplayer fighting game, they can often lend to much amusement and jollity.

However, the particular appeal of Smash Bros is the use of many characters from well established brands. Most clones of the formula go for the same approach – there’s a Cartoon Network “Smash” game where all the characters are from a variety of Cartoon Network cartoons. There was Sony’s dismal effort, which banded together a paltry crew of popular figures from their own franchises. This game will lack that particular added punch.

• InternetBatman says:

The megaman style upgrades and destructible scenery make the game pretty unique in its own right.

• apocraphyn says:

Oh, I know – just took a fair byte out of the demo and it proved to be rather entertaining. I was merely explaining the tropes of a stereotypical Smash Bros-style game, since he did ask about the appeal of the Smash Bros game formula rather than the appeal of this particular game. The destructible scenery and customisable upgrades are definitely big pros that set it apart from the rest.

• misterT0AST says:

The appeal, to me, was the huge variety of items, arenas, Pokèmons to be summoned, characters, and customizable game modes, plus the fact that rather than standing in front of the enemy you have to move around the arena, and with the right characters or items you can even fight from a long range. Plus there is a series of weird buffs and debuffs that interact with one another and add a layer of depth to it, and playing 2v2, or playing WITH an ally, against the computer makes it so that you can play a fighting game with your friends rather than against them, simultaneously.
      Also it has an innovative “HP” system different from anything else I’ve ever seen: rather than having a “life” that slowly lowers, you have a “damage” meter, that goes up as you’re being hit. The higher the damage, the farther you go when hit. This leads to very satisfying strikes that always send your enemies flying across the screen, in a very funny and “oomph”y way.

So, in conclusion, it’s the huge complexity and variety, plus the number of players involved.
      I barely knew 3 characters when I first played it, and I never cared for most of them.

• Phasma Felis says:

The damage system is lifted directly from Smash Bros. The only difference is that in Smash you get knocked farther and farther until you fly/fall out of the level, and in this you get knocked farther and farther until you splatter against a wall.

Still, I haven’t seen it used anywhere else but Smash Bros, so it’s still about a million times more novel than “hit points go down until you die.”

• Berzee says:

The appeal to me is that every character has very unique moves and abilities, but the control scheme is the same for all of them, which is just lovely for someone who finds normal fighting games to be too memorization-heavy. The control scheme is simple — there are two attacks button you can push, plus five directions (up down left right or standing still) for a total of ten moves per character (not counting throws, shields, dodges, short combos, transformations into other forms, and other special cases — but all of these also tend to work on the “one button + a direction” model).

This means that for casual play, the fights become a lot more about choosing the right move for the situation and a lot less about pausing the game to look at a list (or doing so for a few minutes before the fight). I don’t think it particularly lowers the skill ceiling either, to judge by the few PROFESHUNAL matches I’ve watched.

Also, of course, it’s a fighting game that is a lot more focused on big platformer-style jumps, which is fun. And the wacky items are good for pickup games, and as misterT0AST mentioned, losing by getting kicked off the screen at 300 mph is probably cooler than just losing your last hitpoint. :)

Hypocee says:

Per some of above, imagine a fighting game’s precise chaotic character interactions but with a unified control scheme to move the challenge from intellectual and muscle memory into tactical choices, plus some platforming and terrain and with a more physical win condition.

2. HaleBob says:

Sorry for OT, Help needed

some days ago I broke my right hand and shoulder and I leaned pretty fast that this REALLY limits the things you can do.
    To waste some time I need games which can be played with 1 hand and do not require much skill since my left-hand-mouse-pushing-abilities are kind of limited.
    I am replaying XCOM but it gets boring.
    Thank you very much for any recommendations.

• apocraphyn says:

That’s rather random, but sure.

Shadowrun Returns was released recently to a mixed, but largely positive reception. If you’ve never played the original two Fallouts, I wholeheartedly recommend them. Conquistadors was released not so long ago, either – pretty decent game, all things told. These are all turn-based (when it comes to combat, at least), so a single hand should suffice.

felisc says:

Huh ? You’d better ask this on the forums !
      (But, er, fallout)

Edit : ah, beaten to it. Sorry about your arm, btw.

• HaleBob says:

I registered on the forum first, but I have to post 10 replies before I can open a thread. Spam prevention.
        But I had to spam 10 posts in order to ask my question which would be a bit mehhh…

Played all the Fallouts, but I will have a look at Shadowrun, liked the table top version some decades ago.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Also: Frozen Synapse is good and I think can be played one handed, and is also on sale on Steam for the next 30-odd hours.

• Rukumouru says:

Most of the Space Quest games, Monkey Island, Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People.

You can also try buying a couple of USB pedals to play NES games: Left hand for movement keys, feet for A and B.

• Nixitur says:

Depends on what kind of games you like.
      Jamestown, a very easy bullethell game as far as bullethell games are concerned, is quite good and can be played with just a mouse.
      N, a rather old flash-based precision platformer that’s impossible to google, but is also known as “The Way of the Ninja”, can also be played quite comfortably with one hand.
      I’m reasonably sure that Tyrian 2000 (a rather good shoot-‘em-up which is free on GOG) can also be played one-handed.

DrScuttles says:

Most adventure games and RPGs should be good. A few people have mentioned Shadowrun, but there’s also many many hours to be had from Spiderweb’s games. If you’re not familiar with Wadjet Eye’s point and click adventures, they’re very very much worth investigating. Though Gemini Rue has some clunky combat sections that may prove difficult one handed.
      And Botanicula. It’s the most joyous thing you can ever play. Brought me out of a prolonged, near-terminal grump. Or To The Moon, should you find yourself too happy from Botanicula. It’s fantastic though.
      And there’s always emulation. It’s something of a dodgy area, but lots of Amiga games can be played with a 1-button joystick setup on a keyboard.

3. Nixitur says:

Ah, I bought this on Desura what feels like ages ago. Good game, but if I remember correctly, you often had to replay quite a few very large levels when you quit the game in the middle of a level. Not sure if this has been fixed, but it was quite an annoyance….

4. InternetBatman says:

I got this in the greenlight bundle and am very, very pleased. Combat is fun and fluid, and the customization works well. There’s something really fun about punching robots through walls. Please vote for it on Greenlight.

• MegaAndy says:

I second all of that, punching robots through walls is the best.