Still Should Be Impossible – Meridian: New World In Action

By John Walker on August 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

As Nathan pointed out a couple of days ago, it’s ridiculous that one man is capable of making Meridian: New World. A fully fledged sci-fi RTS, claiming meaningful choices, relatable companions, and traditional complex strategy. But if you were doubtful of the stationary pictures, below is the first trailer showing the game running. It’s for real.

The trailer has a sense of humour, too! And lasers.

Having found a publisher – HeadUp Games – there’s now an official website, alongside the IndieDB page. It’s currently aiming to release next Summer.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. 1Life0Continues says:

Did they get Jon St John to do the VO? Or is it just a remarkably similar sounding man?

Either way, this is looking very promising. I hope RPS follows its progress closely. :)

2. Didden says:

And they said the days of one man game dev’s was over…

• JamesTheNumberless says:

And then they said they were back… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said theydonkeysarealiens were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again… And then they said they were over again… And then they said they were back again…

• cowardly says:

OhgodIcan’tstopstaringatthelinesandthewordsandtheprettypatterns

3. Njordsk says:

Did you just say he’s alone ??§§

Is he some new kind of new mutant octopus-man or something?

4. Meat Circus says:

DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN.

• brulleks says:

(Moby, Moby, Moby, Bruce Willis…)

• Kobest says:

No, he’s just an ordinary Hungarian guy. Everyone in Hungary has developed a game with this scope in one time of his/her life.

With that in mind…maybe I should purchase all the rights to famous Hungarian games like Reunion, Imperium Galactica and so on, and release them on GoG! :)

I’ll just go back to fix my upcoming Rubik’s cube 2, hold on a sec…

• Moraven says:

How we could use a GoG release of Imperium Galactica 1&2 and a remake.
        I miss getting video mails from my wife and telling me how our relationship is on the rocks.

5. RedViv says:

Oh good, I always like my lasers with a sense humour.

6. staberas says:

WELL Minecraft was made by 1 guy, Andrew Ryan made Rapture so the question is not if its impossible but If its worth it …

7. Tuhalu says:

That customizable, 2-legged, 2-armed mechanical thing in the trailer. I feel like I’ve seen its like before. How peculiar.

• amorpheous says:

Reminds me a little of MechCommander. This makes me happy. :-)

8. Jimbo says:

This looks amazing… but you know like when you were playing football for the Cubs or Under 10s? And the referee would stop the game because you were all bunching? I feel like this game (/entire genre) needs a referee like that.

9. Iskariot says:

I really do not get this.
    One guy is modeling units, animating, texturing, programming game mechanics, programming an AI, building maps, creating an interface etc. etc. etc.
    I could believe it if it looked like amateurish crap, but this looks so pro.

10. LordMidas says:

This is nothing short of inspirational. Right, time to crack open my copy of Unity!

11. DarkFenix says:

Um, am I missing something here? I see a lot of positive comments above, but for the life of me I can’t figure out exactly what everyone is praising. The gameplay, the pitch, it all looks extremely ordinary to me. I guess it’s impressive that one guy is doing it, but that’s about it.

• Moraven says:

Because its ONE MAN. I wonder what engine is being used. I doubt it was made from scratch.

Smartest thing he is doing is doing no multiplayer. That would be hell in itself to balance.

• kud13 says:

please name me a sci-fi “classic”-style RTS that came out in the last 10 years that’s not Star Craft or Dawn of War, or C&C, that’s not some kind of a tower defence game

the typical base-building RTS is far more downtroden a genre than pretty much anything else in the industry, doubly so for sci-fi (with fantasy we’ve at least seen a bunch of experimental Warcraft 3 clones, like the Spellforce games). It’s a genre completely abandoned by all publisher models. And if you don’t buy into Blizz’ cult of e-sports and just want a nice single-player experience, there’s been nothing fresh for ages. Dawn of War: Soulstorm came out in 2008- 5 years ago. since then we’ve had SCII, which is all about the multiplayer, and THAT’S IT (DOW2 wasn’t really an RTS game. It was more of a real-time-tactics game).

So excuse us for seeing something happen in the genre for the first time in 5 years and being excited

• Bobtree says:

“Please name an example of XYZ except for these huge popular ones”

Ok.

Perimiter, Supreme Commander series, Universe at War: Earth Assault, Sins of a Solar Empire, AI War, Zero-K, Trash.

• Jimbo says:

Most of those either don’t fit the bill (classic style RTS) or just look a bit rubbish.

• Syra says:

Calling Dawn of War a classic style RTS, or even Company of Heroes for that matter is a grave mistake.

• Bugamn says:

It doesn’t have the same templars and bugs, only the marines.

12. LionsPhil says:

Oh, it’s Starcraft-like, and openly inspired by it.

Oh, it’s got a publisher.

All interest evaporated.

13. piccolo113 says:

>Indie
    >Gets publisher to get game to people
    >people still call him indie

Umm, yeah….that’s not how it works. He stopped being independent when he signed on with a publisher.

• The Random One says:

> Makes entire game on his own
      > After game is almost done it’s so good a publisher is interested in handling distribution
      > LITERALLY THE SAME THING AS ACTIVISION.

• piccolo113 says:

>After game is almost done it’s so good a publisher wants a chunk of the money from the sales

ftfy

And that’s the definition of non-independent, btw.

• jrodman says:

I think it *could* work that way.

Ie, you finish a game entirely on your own via your own funding channels.
      After the game is complete, you turn to a publisher to deal with the channels of sale.

Is this indie? I would say more or less it is. Obviously it’s now currently possible to deal with the channels yourself, and self-promote on social media etc. But I’m not convinced it’s necessarily a valuable distinction.

• LTK says:

In an ideal world, all games would be made like this. The developer takes care of making the game, and the publisher takes care of the publicity. That way, if the game is crap, no one can blame the publisher for sticking their nose in the game development and demanding lowest-common-denominator dreck in order to ensure sales. Of course, if the game is crap, you could still blame the publisher for facilitating an affront to our senses…