Papers, Please Arrives August 8th, Pre-Orders

By Jim Rossignol on August 2nd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Our faster, stronger, taller readers will recollect a distinct air of excitement that that accompanied the ‘document thriller’, Papers, Please: “Your job as immigration inspector is to control the flow of people entering the Arstotzkan side of Grestin from Kolechia. Among the throngs of immigrants and visitors looking for work are hidden smugglers, spies, and terrorists. Using only the documents provided by travelers and the Ministry of Admission’s primitive inspect, search, and fingerprint systems you must decide who can enter Arstotzka and who will be turned away or arrested.” Nathan wrote about it, and said: “Stamping is so damn satisfying. I want to stamp everything. Sometimes I do. Think you can slip a faulty document past me? WRONG.” You can try out that early beta version over here. The game itself can be pre-ordered for $10.

There’s a trailer, too.

Somehow very timely.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RedViv says:

Ah, is good news. Glory to Arstotzka!

• distantlurker says:

Good. Luck.

• Bostec says:

You don’t remember me do you? I said I’ll find you.

• mcgormer says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $72 every hour on the computer. She has been laid off for seven months but last month her pay check was $16823 just working on the computer for a few hours. Here’s the site to read more ……………… http://xurl.es/wep6

• belgand says:

Wait… you mean you actually get to keep the money you earn playing it? Does this mean I can also allow children to die from malnutrition and lack of adequate heating? Can I really get people arrested for failing to have a proper stamp in the right spot?!?

BEST GAME EVER!

2. staberas says:

Glory to Arstotzka!

I sold my passport for this game.

3. Kobest says:

What a great game, seriously, people should really try out the free alpha/beta.

• Perjoss says:

I played though the alpha version quite a few times after watching a video that total biscuit did on it. I was intrigued because I couldn’t understand how on earth you could take passport checking and it into a fun game, but that’s exactly what the dev has done. There’s something about the graphics and sound design that really struck a note with me also. I’m totally sold on this, can’t wait to play the full version.

4. MobileAssaultDuck says:

I am hoping for a lot more random events, I found once I had gotten a rhythm down I was able to crush through people in no time.

Probably helps I used to do phone support, so gathering credentials and organizing them was something I did for a living.

5. dE says:

I didn’t enjoy Papers, Please… but feel that was precisely the point of it. I’ll be pre-ordering it. Not because I like it, but because I want to applaud a point well made.

6. airtekh says:

The alpha/demo was refreshingly original, and very entertaining.

I’m quite happy to plonk down some money for this.

7. Shazbut says:

It will also have 20 endings!

I can’t wait

8. XhomeB says:

Total Biscuit’s “WTF is…” sold me on this one. Definitely getting it on GOG.

9. Hodge says:

The beta was one of the best things I’ve played all year.

10. LennyLeonardo says:

I just played the beta for the first time and… wow. It’s just brilliant. So impressed. Pre-ordered.

11. mouton says:

You have been selected for random search.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Cause no trouble.

12. CaidKean says:

From the moment this came on Greenlight and I saw the first trailer I knew I had to have it, loved the sample and so happy that it’s finally releasing.

Very happy that it will have leaderboards too where you can compete with friends to see who can survive the longest in the infinity mode.

13. iniudan says:

Nice available on humble store, guess I know where I am getting it, hopefully a Linux version become available at later time if it make it to the Indie Bundle. =)

14. Lokik says:

Perfect, I don’t even have to work that day, except that now I do!

15. Drake Sigar says:

I am a real life Jorji Costava.

16. TechnicalBen says:

I just cannot bring myself to play this game. Those graphics…

They remind me too much of the reality of that cold, dark heartless and backstabbing place…

… of my old job in the depths of the desperate banking industry. All those passports I had to check!

Just think, if my memories of working in the UK were stressful, what would those in other countries, during times of conflict feel like?

So, TLDR: A great game, but makes you feel stressed when playing.

17. dontnormally says:

Make sure to try Republica Times, as well!

Another subversive game by this brilliant chap.
    This one is about editing a government-run newspaper under a despotic regime.

18. Safilpope says:

I loved the beta, I cant wait for this! I’ve passed the time at work scrutinising documents in anticipation for this game, its surprisingly fun… sad but true

Comment on this story