Planetside 2′s Jungle Wars: Hossin Revealed!

By Jim Rossignol on August 5th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Planetside 2 has three giant battle-continents so far: vanilla continent, frosted-icing continent, and biscuit continent. Soon, though, they’re going to change things up a bit for some jungle/swamp continent. That one’s called Hossin, and SOE have been teasing its flooded, leafy wonders for some time now. It looks like this might play a little differently to the standard flavours, as you can see in a video below. (What’s with the crazy laser canopies?)

Will it have snakes? Apparently not. That seems like a shame. Everyone likes snakes.

Related:

, .

distantlurker says:

mmmm peking duck and hoisin omnomnom

• lokhe says:

Damn you sir! I was trying my very best not to think about delicious food. And here I thought reading about videogames would be safe but NOOOO! Shame on you!

• guorley says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes $69/hr on the internet. She has been fired for 8 months but last month her income was $13999 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site ……………………… http://xurl.es/wep6

2. SWOne says:

“What’s with the crazy laser canopies?”

Could those be Air Defense shields? I will be very happy if they are Air Defense shields

• TorokF says:

@SWOne:
      Yes they are called “Dome Shields” they will be an updated benefit of allied AMP Stations, and as long as you’ll old one your outposts/bases will have Domeshields, which will block incoming and outgoing projectiles and explosives, but infantry and airplanes can still fly through them for hit-and-run attacks or galaxy drops / refilling ammo and stuff like that, this atleast as it is on Test Server.

@Kollega trust me the video doesn’t show even half of the awesomeness of Hossin, you really have to try it out yourself with max settings to understand the depth and amazing work they’ve put into it!
      (and it’s still far from finished!)

3. Inigo says:

PLANETSIDE 2: BLOOD DRAGON

• PatrickSwayze says:

WOULD BUY 10/10 BEST GAME EVER

A thousand men screaming as they hose miniguns at each other pointblank. With synths.

4. Kollega says:

Somehow, the continent doesn’t seem to be interesting to me. It doesn’t feel atmospheric enough. Maybe it’s because half the scenes are taken at sunrise/sunset, which doesn’t work at all with dark greens of the swamp, or because there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of actual water.

I wonder if there’s gonna be a pinewood/Alpine continent at some point. Now that would be pretty ace.

Ksempac says:

Hossin is already available on the PTS, and I can tell you that trailer doesn’t do it justice. The day time is more like the static shot at the top : green and foggy. While the night time is darker than Amerish’s night. Also, it doesn’t do justice to the scale, there are a lot less open-space than the trailer suggest, which is good it definitely has a guerrilla feel, where you play with night vision constantly on to not be ambushed.

5. razgon says:

Anyone else keep getting “An error has occured, please try again later” errors at all RPS’s videos today? It plays the first second or so, and then the error message

6. PatrickSwayze says:

Can any AMD graphics card users say how the game is performing on their systems at the minute?

After that video… I think its time to return.

• Mithrandir0x says:

I have a Radeon 5870 with an i7 4770k, and it runs pretty smooth.

thestjohn says:

yeah I have a HD6950 with a i5-4670k and Hossin seemed to perform pretty much the same as the other continents.

• Asurmen says:

With a few whacky exceptions you can expect from computer games, the limiting factor yas been CPU for PS2. My 5870 is running this fine but I’m CPU limited by my overclocked i7 920.

• Lev Astov says:

I have a 5870 and i7 on a laptop from two years ago and it runs well on medium. Meanwhile, my monster nvidia rig at home has horrible rubber banding issues for no reason.

Ksempac says:

Run perfectly well, it seems to be the NVIDIA users who encounters most of the problems (having to downgrade drivers etc…)

7. Tei says:

I find the continent very confusing. And get inspiration from amerish to make traveling in vehicles painfull, because only a few ilogical paths are valid. Everything else is nice and add a lot of the game. I fear it will not be a popular continent, because may get heavy on old computers, perhaps.

I would have done it with more flat terrain, and easy to travel around. But thats me.

8. brogarn says:

The continent makes me want to get to da choppa because I want to live.

9. SuicideKing says:

0:16- “Echo 419 inbound!”

Seriously, they look like Pelican dropships from Halo from that angle..

10. Don Reba says:

Samuel Jackson doesn’t like snakes, but he is the only one. It’s what makes him special.

11. Moraven says:

The trailer was better muted while playing the song below it.

12. Piecewise says:

[Trigger warning: Vietnam Flashbacks]

13. Chubzdoomer says:

This game is so good, it’s ridiculous. PlanetSide 2 has singlehandedly devoured any hype or excitement I could have possibly had for Battlefield 4. And not only is it a phenomenal game, you’re constantly getting updates and content like this for FREE.

14. Velko says:

Secretly this game is a tribute to Bonanza and the continents are the Cartwright family.