ShootMania’s Friend Game: Invites For Non-Players

By Craig Pearson on August 5th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

This could be you and your beeeeeest friend.
When is a demo not a demo? That is a question that has plagued many, many, many people. It’s why Plato and Socrates fell out at Wrestlemania -320BC. There are alphas, betas, demos, and even schemes that share games among friends, like Shootmania now has. Everyone who owns the game can invite a friend in to play the game in Elite mode, the 3vs3 attack/defend mode. I can see the invitation causing a strain on a few friendships, because the owner of the game can generate two different types of passes: one that gives the friend limited access to the mode, and another where they get unlimited playtime.

If you get the stinging slap of a limited invite, which gives you three matches per day, you’ll know that your friend doesn’t deem you worthy of Super Guest Access, which they’d have to buy using the baffling in-game credits that ShootMania generates for players. Recipients of that can play as much Elite mode as they want to. I’m surprised that it’s Elite mode and not an easier mode to grasp: it’s 3v3, but only the defenders have all three players on the map at the same time. Attackers only have one player in action, with the others watching.

It’s not an entirely selfless act: Nadeo’s not quite successful shooter could do with an injection of new players, so it benefits everyone except me. I own the game, but I don’t have any friends.

, , .

1. Flopper says:

This game is a mystery to me. I have a really good PC. I run Planetside 2 on all max with no problems in big fights. Stay at a solid 60FPS with vsync on.

Shootmania on the other hand runs like complete dog shit… I just don’t get it.

• Erkin says:

This is strange, it’s perfect on my computer (> 150fps), while I have a crappy framerate on planetside 2 (some drops under 60 fps).

• FakeAssName says:

Same here; shootmania is like marbles on polished glass, but PS2 I had to crank down to PS1 level gfx and it still ran like shit.

I have a Phenom2 555 & two HD4850s, so maybe it is a AMD vs nVidia thing.

• Sugoi says:

No sir. I have a GTX670, and PS2 still ran like shit the last time I tried it (shortly after launch).

• Glen Moyes says:

I have good framerate (Nvidia 460 GTX) but the ManiaPlanet games have a tendency to crash semi-frequently (once a day if I’m playing a lot).

• Flopper says:

WOT AM I DOING WRONG?! lol Ahhhhhhhh.

I have a i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz
        16 gigs ram
        2x GTX 580′s SLI

• Glen Moyes says:

No idea. Update graphics drivers? Maybe it’s an SLI thing?

2. FakeAssName says:

I was in the beta, but I don’t think I played more than 2 matches; solid concept but I couldn’t see any training mode or other form of instructions … I ment to go back and do some hard knocks learning but it was out of beta before I got to it and the impulse to buy the game never hits me when I have money.

3. dE says:

To me, this game is so much more fun when shoutcasted. Playing it however? Not so much.

4. dsi1 says:

Why would they only let you invite others to the worst gamemode in the game and not to the gamemode that is DESIGNED for pairs of players…

5. Glen Moyes says:

I really like the theory behind Nadeo’s games. ShootMania has no bullshit: no XP, no unlocks, no upgradable weapons, no confusing spray patterns (looking at you Counter-Strike), no locational damage, and no confusing DPS/health systems. This lets you understand the game very quickly and helps reduce the type of frustration I had as a UT player transitioning to CS:Source, a game that felt unfair until someone explained the spray patterns to me.

Despite how much I love the idea within ShootMania, there are some problems. For one, not enough people are playing it. Matchmaking works, but it would be more fun if there was more servers to choose from so the skill level in each server would be more even. Some people have said it’s the graphics that are keeping this game behind, but I think it’s the price. For US$20, you don’t get a whole lot of content, compared to their TrackMania titles. I think they know this which is why they have this new invite program. Also, some bots and a singleplayer campaign (or tutorial missions) should be added to train new players and give people who are afraid of multiplayer something to do.

I’ve played ShootMania for a few hours, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I haven’t gone back for a while because I’m having more fun with TrackMania and Dota.

Really, the gameplay and the game modes in ShootMania are fantastic, it just needs some more polish and a way to draw more players in. The ideas inside this game are golden.

6. selena25 says:

my friend’s ex-wife makes $76 an hour on the computer. She has been unemployed for 5 months but last month her income was $13110 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site…>> http://www.cnn13.com

7. LordGravewish says:

Give me LAN support and me and 9 friends will be buying this game immediately.

Since we love to organize LAN parties between ourselves semi-regularly (every 2 months on average) in places with a bad (if any) internet connection, we boycott any multiplayer game without LAN support. It’s a shame, because then we miss out on games like this with such different ideas and gametypes.

And please don’t try to justify the lack of LAN, I’m tired of those arguments. We all know fully well that there’s no real reason for this one to be missing LAN other than “oh noes those dirty pirates!”. Even Trackmania 1 had LAN support, and that’s a game I don’t consider multiplayer enough to justify it (other than the scoreboards, it’s basically a single-player game).

• frightlever says:

Which recent FPS games still have LAN multiplayer? Serious question. Borderlands 2?

• godofdefeat says:

It should have, but only between 4 players co-op.

• LordGravewish says:

There’s probably more, but these are the FPS we play on our LAN parties that aren’t that old in no particular order:
        - Counter Strike: Global Offensive (or CS:Source, through the console)
        - Left 4 Dead 2 (through the console, 4-player co-op or 8-player versus)
        - Star Wars Battlefront 2
        - Unreal Tournament 3
        - Chivalry (with an unofficial launcher, it’s “first person” but not a shooter)
        - Dead Island 1/2 (4 players only, though)
        - Killing Floor

We still play tons of old games (like UT99 and the original Halo), and we don’t play exclusively FPS (so you have Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations and Starcraft 1 too, to name a few).

There really aren’t a lot of games without LAN support that we would really want to play, so we don’t really mind much. The biggest are ShootMania, Starcraft 2, Age of Empires 2 HD (funny how the original + a community patch is better AND supports LAN, but a version you pay for doesn’t) and something like Guns of Icarus.

Still, when a game clearly should support LAN but doesn’t, screw them, they’re treating me like a pirate and won’t be getting my (or any of my friends’) money.

• frightlever says:

Thanks for the reply. So I guess online activation, then offline LAN would be acceptable (like the Valve games). Doesn’t seem like too much to ask. Unfortunately Nadeo seem to want to control the experience. I only played the Beta, briefly, but just navigating through the menu system to get to a game was obfuscated and confusing.

• mrbob says:

Well. You haven’t bothered opening the game, have you?

There is LAN Multiplayer in ShootMania, and in TrackMania 2: every ManiaPlanet game is LAN enabled since oct 2012. It is used every weekend and works without any issue…

8. SelfEsteemFund says:

My thoughts are the same as this fellow.

“It’s in my opinion impossible to like that game as a Quake player, it is inferior in EVERY way and is an insult to esports, to what FPS used to be and to what FPS should be in a competitive environment.”
    - Michael ‘winz’ Bignet [ESWC champion in both Q4 & UT 2004]

Taken from http://www.duelcraft.net/player-interview-winz/

• Leb says:

My thoughts are completely opposite

• frightlever says:

I wonder is there more to that story. Considering he was making money from Shootmania and now he’s bad-mouthing it, you gotta wonder if something happened to sour the relationship. That or he’s just incredibly unprofessional.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

It’s not a case of “now he’s bad-mouthing it”, every high-level quake player who has played shootmania competitively & spoken openly about it has stated they do so simply because there is easy money from tournaments.

As an aside, this guy recently donated $1000 to Evil (a fellow quake live player who he’s never even met) so that he could go to America to compete in Quakecon.

• nandio says:

“Every high-level quake player”? Sure thing, buddy.
          I play SM at a fairly high level and I know many high-level quake/UT players who are liking this game. Of course there are many problems like Maniaplanet with its horrible and ugly GUI and the fact that Nadeo is making many things more complicated as they need to be but it still has loads of potential.

So yeah, don’t speak for “every high-level quake player”.

• Commander Gun says:

Would be nice if he gives some arguments (and by a lack of that, if the ‘interviewer’ could actually ask some follow-up questions).

9. MeestaNob says:

Dead game? Is this even out?

10. valerie63 says:

✓✓✓✓✓my friend’s aunt makes $66 hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for 5 months but last month her payment was $16077 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more…>>. http://www.cnn13.com