Tangiers Would Like To Burroughs Some Money

By Craig Pearson on August 5th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Apple.
It’s not often we’re presented with a game that doesn’t just rip off Aliens, though I do enjoy a good bughunt, so I am not surprised to see the William Burroughs inspired Tangiers struggle a little as its Kickstarter ends. It’s so close but it could be closer! The surrealist stealth game’s odd world doesn’t have many hooks for anyone not into “a little chain of 20th-century avant garde following Dada, William Burroughs, and so on.” To be honest, I’m not as familiar with them as I should be (I’m still waiting for a Sirens Of Titans MMO). But look at it. Even without knowing what shoulders its standing on, there’s a lot to admire in the mechanics and style. The team have been updating the Kickstarter page pretty regularly, so there’s some new footage below, and a few things I’ve yanked that I found interesting.

Much of what we’ve seen has shown the urban areas, but there will be outside environments that you need to traverse. According to developer Alex Harvey: “Exploration tilts slightly away from getting to know an environment to traversing one. Using dispersed, unique features that dot the landscape as milestones, you navigate over the world, searching for the shards of urban district that you must infiltrate. Climbing to the higher ground to get the lay of the land.”

That outside world is the inverse of the impenetrable inky blackness of the cities. Just look.

And there’s some traditional gaming in there too, albeit with a surreal bent. I love that all this hangs off a stealth game, so a creature that’s basically a walking flashlight becomes all the more terrifying. It doesn’t even have a neck that Sam Fisher can snap.

I’ve got my mandibles crossed for this one. I’d really like to see it happen.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I’ll just cut and paste some cash to them

2. The Random One says:

PUN OF THE YEAR. *standing ovation*

3. Bull0 says:

William Burroughs is torturous to read and not very insightful. Personally I wouldn’t really recommend him.

4. Grey Cap says:

I can’t understand how this is doing so badly. My favourite kickstarter project, bar none (not even Satellite Reign) looks set to fail. How can something this intriguing not get people on board?

• Wurstwaffel says:

It’s probably because it doesn’t look very interesting, art wise.

• Grey Cap says:

I suppose an overwrought statement deserves a sour response ;) Personally, I think the atmosphere is nice but the character design looks fantastic. Cough. Subjectively.

• Frank says:

It looks on-track to meet its target to me. If the early-bird price were still available, I would probably be backing it.

3D stealth isn’t my favorite genre, and it hasn’t disappeared from AAA games (Thi4f and DXHR: TML, which I just played as a stealth game with a hacking minigame…)

@Wurst: I like the art, anyway. And he said it’s placeholder.

• Zacqary Adam Green says:

Using pounds as the currency seemed to have hurt Satellite Reign, so it could be a little of that too. But I think it’s mainly the fact that it’s getting barely any press.

RPS is one of the few gaming sites out there that consistently seems interested in writing about new and exciting things from new and exciting people. A lot of the larger sites will see something that’s not only in a weird genre with unfamiliar tropes, but (especially) made by somebody without an established brand name, and not think it’s worth their time.

On the other hand, if it were Valve, or Sid Meier, or even Jonathan Blow making this, they’d stop worrying about whether any of their readers know who Burroughs or what dada is, and just write a headline that says “Look at these cool screenshots from the maker of Famous Thing.”

5. Shadrach says:

I so very much will support this – anything to give support to interesting games to get me away from the horrid FPS shooter world.

6. jrodman says:

IMO, it all seems far too high-concept to me, and not nearly enough focus on game mechanics.

Personally, I pass on all stealth games. I that’s that’s a personal thing though.

7. selena25 says:

my friend’s ex-wife makes $76 an hour on the computer. She has been unemployed for 5 months but last month her income was $13110 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site…>> http://www.cnn13.com

8. MacTheGeek says:

They should have gone with the other kickstarter pitch, the one that read like this:

“Dear Internet. For every dollar you DON’T give us, we will post a video of Gabe Newell reading Naked Lunch while eating lunch naked.”

9. Shooop says:

But why does it have to be a stealth game? A world like that I want to go out and explore everywhere, not hide from it!

Comment on this story