Hats Off: Make Money In The Planetside 2 Player Studio

By Craig Pearson on August 6th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Nice helmet.
2013 was the beginning of the end for PlanetSide 2. Before then, it was everything we’d dreamed of: a constant, continual laser meatgrind. It never ended, and we never wanted it to. You ever found a purpose in life? Ours was to spot and kill anyone not in purple. It was glorious. War squared. Then the Player Studio opened up, enabling the players to redesign game elements and sell them in the store. It was the helmets that became our undoing. Ever tried to shoot a man in the face when he’s wearing a grey helmet with a love heart on it? It changes you, man. We laid down arms. We’d all take long walks together. Vanu, NC, even those grumpy Terrans, gathering and watching the sun dip over the edge of Auraxis. That was the end of war.

But it was the beginning of love. So, yeah. SOE have gone the way of Valve and introduced a hat-conomy into Planetside 2. They will act as the gate-keepers to the store, and take a 40% 60% cut from player-created items sold. The Player Studio provides guidelines for artists who might have a good idea for a design for decals, camo, hood ornaments, and helmets, which means I am already out. I am a free spirit.

Here’s SOE’s Matt Higby talking about it, where he envisions an outfit kitted out and looking amazing because they have a designer on their side. That’s actually a neat idea.

If that faction-design idea ever comes to fruition, some sort of giraffe-based decal would make RPS the talk of Miller.

Spotted at PCGamesN, who are obviously NC.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. JerreyRough says:

I can’t wait for it to expand to Canada! I’ve been designing my own helmet, with input from the awesome Planetside 2 Art Director T_Ray. If you want to check it out here’s the latest WIP pictures!

1. Joc says:

I think you underestimate how grumpy we Terrans are.

Also, this is neat. Even if they are copyc(h)ats.

2. mickygor says:

my sunderer will be decorated with dead giraffes, Reaver style. I guess my reaver ought to be decorated that way too.

3. CaBBagE says:

I will sneak into the TR and make even worse hats for them than they already have muhaha! ;)

4. JerreyRough says:

• Beelzebud says:

It’s so nice to know that T-Ray is still kicking ass in the industry. He’s a legend in my mind, simply for inventing the look of the Vault Boy from the Fallout franchise!

5. HadToLogin says:

You sure you wrote that right? 60% for makers? That’s awesome.

Even if it’s only bribe to make hat-makers consider dropping TF2.

6. Cooper says:

Not available to anyone outside the US.
    (Other countries coming ‘soon’…)

Might wanna mention that…

Due to tax / legal reasons they say. Smedley (SOE big boss) said they’re working on getting it to Europe. In a tweet. A year ago.

• Graerth says:

I’ve actually started making a giraffe hood ornament, but the whole “Yeah, Europe will get it at some point” kinda steals motivation when i could just end up having a ton of time used on it and then someone else who already has access to it makes one before me.

The whole “Soon”*TM really stole alot of fun out of it.

7. Rei Onryou says:

The murmuring has already begun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?10439-VS-Official-Outfit-Logo-Font-and-Graphics

Comment on this story