Next For id: Maybe Quake, Probably Not RAGE Or New IP

By Nathan Grayson on August 6th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Somewhere in the deep, dark, distant future, there exists a world beyond Doom 4. It is a strange and alien place – one in which id has pried the bolts from its lips and… wait, no, it’s never done that. Always “when it’s done.” Always. But still, there are more id games in this far-flung universe, and also I have cool cybernetic laser nostrils. I know, for I have seen it. Briefly, ever so briefly, id creative director Tim Willits took me there. Here’s what he said.

First, we addressed the elephant in the room: we were at a convention called QuakeCon, yet id Software itself hasn’t made a new Quake in more than a decade. While multiplayer shooters have flourished, one of the form’s mightiest pioneers has laid largely dormant. It’s a fact that’s not lost on id, and Willits admitted that there’s pressure – especially when events like QuakeCon roll around – to give the Quake series some much-needed love sooner rather than later.

“Yeah, [there's pressure],” he replied to RPS. “But what’s great is, the Quake franchise is still really healthy. Look at all these people at QuakeCon. It’s awesome. Right now we can’t do it because just, you know, time, energy, people… let’s get focused. All on the same page. Let’s make this one game great, period.”

RAGE’s future prospects, meanwhile, are a bit less rosy. Willits was adamant that the sleeping giant of a wasteland has plenty of life left in it, but for now a sequel’s simply not in the cards.

“The franchise is not dead,” he declared, leaving no room for doubt. “But again, we have no immediate plans for it. But I created a universe that was rich enough that we could easily step back into it. It has very unique elements to it and I think people enjoyed it. We left it in a good position.”

Which, of course, leads us to door number three: something entirely new. Another attempt at RAGE’s mission statement, another step off Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein’s well-worn path. The prognosis? Unlikely.

“Creatively, it’s always fun to explore new things,” said Willits. “But, since we have such great franchises, we have the ability to explore great things within a franchise. Me personally, I would focus on our franchises before developing a new one.”

“It’s always difficult to figure out what you want to do next. It’s based on trends in the industry, technology, where you want to go, etc. But what’s nice with id is we have taken chances, we have taken risks. I mean, RAGE is very different from the games we’ve done before. I hope that we can continue to be creative and explore where we can go with all of our IPs.”

“We have very talented people, but we’re definitely gonna stay in the shooter genre. I mean, we invented it. Why run from your baby?”

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Infinitron says:

Bring back Commander Keen, you fools!

• RedViv says:

Don’t worry. If his grandpa keeps up his degree of success, we’ll see Kommandant Kühn eventually.

• The Random One says:

I’d be happy if only they sold the original Commandeer Keen somewhere other than the curiously ambiguous Steam page (that implies Goodbye Galaxy i.e. the one you’re thinking of is not part of it) and an Apogee store page seemingly from 1997 that Google found for me.

• valerie63 says:

✓✓✓✓✓my friend’s aunt makes $66 hourly on the internet. She has been out of a job for 5 months but last month her payment was $16077 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more…>>. http://www.cnn13.com

• SuperFastJellyfish says:

That would be interesting. Commander Keen was the first game I ever played, but I’d really be satisfied if they just made another fps that didn’t have cod guns. I’m pretty sure the last non cod game they made was Doom 3, so it’s been a while. I could really go for some nightmare difficulty coupled with guns and health systems that make combat a challenge instead of a mess.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Asides from RAGE, Doom 3 was the last non-mobile game that id Software developed. Quake4 and Wolfenstein (2009) were both done by Raven.

• SuperFastJellyfish says:

I knew about q4(also q4 didn’t have cod guns), but I hadn’t realized raven made 09. So I guess Rage is the only game id has made since Doom 3. I wonder why the drastic difference in gameplay mechanics? They had a good thing going and the player mechanics in Rage weren’t anything new, they were just new for id. You’d think that if they just wanted to make something better, they would build upon what they had already done as they did up until Rage instead of just making a completely different type of game.

• stingmaster says:

I was reading a few of these replies and noticed something…..that everyone was thinking of what will happen in Quake’s future story line….has anyone ever give thought to how Quake first ever started? the beginning? when the first people landed on mars to find those ruins on mars…..and then Quake starts? Or even Who finds it? Or even the story behind Quake….This could make a great game in itself….and remember….these settlers were possibly only scientists with bare minimal weapons if that……

• daligate says:

As good as the zombie games http://furg.net/category/zombie-games/

2. XhomeB says:

If the next Quake is to resemble Quake 4, which had NOTHING to do with Quake apart from the title, then don’t even bother making it.
    When it comes to Quake, it’s all about the physics, the speed and precision of momentum-based movement, weapon accuracy and great level design (Rage proved id have forgotten how to properly design game levels).

Oh, and rocking soundtracks. If you ask me, Quake 2 had the best music of all three.

• bstard says:

A good quake only needs 10 types of different rocket launchers and a few low gravity maps.

• Bugamn says:

What did the other Quakes have to do with the Original Quake? As far as I remember, the first Quake was against some Eldero-One-like monster, while the others were against Stroggs (or simply multiplayer)

• MadTinkerer says:

Hell, even Quake had nothing to do with Quake. Have any of the released Quake games even remotely resembled a melee-focused first person fantasy game where you run around killing monsters with a giant hammer of the gods and other mystical artifacts borrowed from a homebrew D&D campaign? I still don’t even understand how we got to the extreme science fiction end of things in Quake II, and Quake III was essentially a sequel to the multiplayer parts of all previous id games with no coherent story.

Having Quake IV’s story be a sequel to Quake II is probably the least confusing aspect of something that may be a franchise, but isn’t actually a series except when you talk about 2 and 4.

• CaspianRoach says:

So Rise of the Triad, then?

• qwertz765 says:

I completely agree with your second paragraph. But don’t forget id had nothing to do with quake 4 ( apart from the engine and ip of course ) as it was made by Raven Software, so don’t worry about doom 4/new quake being good. With two slow games ( compared to doom 1 and quake 1) in a row ( doom 3 and rage ) Id has no other option but to make a fast-twitch action fps.

• Deadly Habit says:

I’d love a new Quake, more in line with 1 as that was such a great setting.
      Quake 2 was kind of the advent of the generic spees muhrine, but so damn great, and 4 was more a sequel to 2 than 3 was, hell Enemy Territory Quake Wars was more of a sequel to Quake 2 than 3 was, so don’t know what you’re on about, but none of the sequels were related to 1 in any way besides name and some weapons.

I wish they’d do something with RAGE, the gameplay was great along with some of the weapons, but the levels were so linear, the whole regenerating health crap and the ending was just out of nowhere and poor. Don’t think it deserves all the hate it gets though.

Also never forget the Stroggification scene in Quake 4, was so messed up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJwyjWpP4XA
      Imagine if this had Rift support…

• fitzroy_doll says:

Quake 4 was a fun game – far better than Doom 3. Would happily see more of the same.

• XhomeB says:

When I said that Q4 has nothing in common with Quake as a series, I didn’t have stories in mind, but the gameplay. Q4 plays NOTHING like Q1, 2 or 3. The physics are different, the level design is vastly different, everything is so inferior it’s not even funny.

• dmoe says:

Reznors Quake soundtrack > All. And if the new Quake doesn’t resemble the Goth-Cthuluesque-medieval-Satanic world from the first game. I won’t give a shit. The Strogg suck. Period.

• bigblack says:

I completely agree. The first Quake was a medieval/sci-fi/Lovecraftian nightmare with one of the eeriest, seething, horrifying soundscapes I’ve ever had the pleasure of experiencing in a game or film. I loved the insane variety of the maps, from dungeons to abandoned military installations to demonic castles. Fantastic and moody, and chaotic, but still unified it all their weirdness. I wouldn’t be against iD making the story more coherent, but definitely scrap the lame grunge-sci fi Borg-rip off that is the Strogg and get back to the nightmarish demons and cyclopean architecture, please.

• Jason Moyer says:

I thought Quake 4 was a direct sequel to Quake 2 (and not made by Id, outside of the tech).

If they do a new Quake, I kind of wish they’d just do a Doom 3-style re-imagining of the first one (ed: er, not literally in the style of Doom 3, just a remake as Doom 3 was a remake of Doom 1). That’s pretty much the only 90′s Id game (besides Commander Keen, of course) that I’d rate highly.

• LionsPhil says:

Quake 4 would have been so much better received if it didn’t have that name. It was a pretty good manshoot, really; just not a rocket-jumping turbo-running whizz-bang precision-splode-athon. At all.

• MarcP says:

Quake 4 was an average game set in a generic sci-fi environment, so linear it might have well been a railshooter, with NPCs riding your character’s dick even harder than Half-Life 2′s supporting cast. It got some press thanks to the stroggification. Shock factor! Ooo! To be fair, you got faster running speed out of the deal. Unfortunately, pocket-sized level design didn’t let you use that speed much.

It was an OK game. Not “pretty good” by any stretch of the imagination. This was one year after HL2 and Far Cry. FEAR and SWAT 4 came out the same year.

3. 2late2die says:

Why do people want Doom 4?? The 3rd one sucked and they showed with Rage that with all the innovation and what not they still can only make a slight variation on the same games they’ve been making for the past 3 decades. I honestly lost all faith in Id and don’t expect anything interesting to come out of there… but I’d be glad to be proven wrong.

• XhomeB says:

I wouldn’t say that Doom 3 “sucked”… Sure, monster closets got tiring after a while and I don’t think they nailed the gameplay part (Doom was about swarms of demons charging you, D3 not so much), but when I re-played it recently, I had a good time with it. It’s aged pretty nicely, especially with Sikkmod and Wulfen’s Texture Pack applied. The overall atmosphere was great.

• Turkey says:

I dunno. I think everyone is under some sort of delusion that they’re truly going to to make an old school shooter again.

Like ZeniMax is would ever publish a niche version of Doom 4.

• AngusPrune says:

I don’t know. I think that Rage suffered fairly seriously from teething problems with the new engine. It gave off serious unfinished game vibe, with all those reused levels and complete lack of action climaxes in much of the game. You could get the general sense of where the game was headed, and if they had an extra year it might have been something special.

But the engine exists now, and I think for their next game they can concentrate on the actual gameplay far more than they did in the last. I wouldn’t write Id off just yet.

• stupid_mcgee says:

To me, RAGE reeked of broader ideas that were never fully fleshed out; ideas reined back in so they could actually get a product out there and not keep tinkering around for another two or more years.

It really seemed like they wanted a more dynamic and open-world experience, but squashed that so they could fit a release window. I don’t blame Bethesda for that, either. id had been dragging out RAGE for far too long.

4. Lars Westergren says:

> Why run from your baby

You answered that question yourself earlier, to “make something different and new”. Making the same thing over and over for decades means you are creatively bankrupt. Your baby is 20+ years old now and is hanging out with cooler people than you. Have the courage to let go completely, to let your baby create their own life. Start making new babies.

Hang on, I got sidetracked.

5. Henke says:

Tim Willits (about RAGE): “At least we tried it. At least we made something different and new. I wish more developers would do that.”

WHAT

WH-
    WH..

WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLITS???

• RedViv says:

Talking about the game that overenthusiastic press sold people on, and which id later claimed they never ever said it would be?

• XhomeB says:

Tim Willits on id’s next project, probably Doom 4:
      “I don’t want anybody to look at id’s next project and have this reaction that it’s still stuck in the 90s.”

Considering what they’ve “achieved” with Rage (WORST LEVEL DESIGN EVER), I’m now pretty sure D4 is going to suck.

• Veeskers says:

I seem to recall the same guy speaking in an e3 interview about how “we invented the genre, now we’re going to -elevate- it”, before showing off the amazing innovations of being able to drive a car, upgrade weapons and talk to npc’s. And on another occasion, fawning over the idea of forcing people to use always-online drm.
      ahhh

• Prime says:

Yeah, that right there made me laugh, stop reading, then get a bit angry. Different? Rage? It was as generic an old skool shooter as they could have made without cardboard cutouts sliding across the screen and crates every five yards.

Sop talking out of your marketing arse, Willits.

• XhomeB says:

Rage was a NEW SCHOOL shooter – linear, with omnipresent invisible walls, badly paced and overly scripted – that’s why it sucked.

• Prime says:

I see your point. I meant old skool in that it was a shooting gallery and not much of anything else. Space Invaders with a glossy 3D coat. Perhaps I used the phrase wrong.

• aldo_14 says:

I think the animation in RAGE was quite good, though.

Rest of it was… actually, I can’t really remember it. John Goodman as someone looking nothing like John Goodman, and some textures the popped in when you turned round and looked horiffically grainy close up. Oh, and shit car racing segments that made me quit after a couple of hours in.

• Prolar Bear says:

Butbutbut nobody got Henke’s punchline!
      Or I’m a fool.

• Keyrock says:

I’m attempting to understand what Tim meant by “trying something different”. Did he mean the shoehorned in piss poor driving and vehicular combat, the horrific invisible walls, or the halfassed story?

• Widthwood says:

This kind honest and objective evaluation of their work is all that is needed to be sure that Quake 4 will turn out great.

6. Jerkzilla says:

I think it’d be nice if they did something more in line with the original Quake. I don’t really see what an updated Quake 3 could really add to the table considering most people that still play it and Quake Live don’t care about graphics anyway and changing actual gameplay would more likely be met with scorn than any positive feeling. The Quake 2 and 4 story wasn’t very good either, though not as bad as Doom, in my opinion at least.

7. Angel Dust says:

For fucks sake id, RAGE showed that you still now how to get the feel of a shooter down so this is all you need to do: Take that solid shooter core + Quake ONEs art direction and marry it to an fast old-school shooter with large levels and fuck-all story. Basically, do what you were good at instead of chasing the current FPS trends.

8. Spacewalk says:

They should unearth the original design doc for Quake and make that.

• Unrein says:

I’m afraid if any of the current employees of id were to touch that document it would immediately burst into flames.

• Jackablade says:

For the uninitiated and those with shorter memories for pointless trivia:
      “As our follow-up to the Commander Keen trilogy, id Software is working on ‘The Fight for Justice’, a completely new approach to fantasy gaming. You start not as a weakling with no food–you start as Quake, the strongest, most dangerous person on the continent. You start off with a Hammer of Thunderbolts, a Ring of Regeneration, and a trans-dimensional artifact. Here the fun begins. You fight for Justice, a secret organization devoted to vanquishing evil from the land! This is role-playing excitement.

And you don’t chunk around the screen. ‘The Fight for Justice’ contains fully animated scrolling backgrounds. All the people you meet have their own lives, personalities, and objectives. A 256-color VGA version will be available (smooth scrolling 256-color screens –fancy that)!

And the depth of play will be intense. No more “whack whack here’s some gold.” There will be interesting puzzles and decisions won’t be “yes/no” but complex correlations of people and events. ‘The Fight for Justice’ will be the finest PC game yet.”

• Prime says:

That sounds…amazing. I never knew that was the original plan for Quake.

• Beelzebud says:

It wasn’t. It’s a plan for a game called The Fight For Justice. Quake was just the character name, and something they later re-used.

• BooleanBob says:

And to think people rag on Molyneux for not realising his ambitions.

• LionsPhil says:

The difference is that if Molyneux had promised that, he would have made sure we all knew that he promised that.

9. bit.bat says:

It is interesting that id has a reputation for technical achievement but in my opinion what truly (and maybe only) shines in Rage is the aesthetics of the thing which would have probably still shined with less in the technical department.

While Rage was a bit uninspiring from functional standpoint I hope that the handcrafted style of the art direction is something that they retain for their future titles. And give the art director a cookie because he or she is quite good.

10. Arithon says:

“At least we tried it. At least we made something different and new”

Eh? You must have missed Borderlands and Fallout 3. Which were significantly the same as RAGE, just released a year earlier.

Something different or new would be Minecraft or Kerbal Space Program.

I’d just settle for “playable” from ID. RAGE wasn’t and at release, DOOM3 was terrible. Heavily scripted “monster in the closet” game with enemies spawning in the corner behind you in an empty room with no way it. Bad implementation and level design.

A new Quake would be great, but it has to FEEL like Quake, not just sport a shiny name-badge. I’d like to see a Quake 2 sequel with single-player only initially, but with co-op for up to four players. (Single or four pods crash together) much like the start of Quake 2 and go from there. Release an on-line MP later as an expansion pack. Once thing (done properly) at a time.

• Deadly Habit says:

Quake 4 and Enemy Territory Quake Wars were sequels to 2.

• XhomeB says:

Story-wise, maybe. Gameplay wise they were as faithful to Quake as Call of Duty. In other words: not much.

• Ruin81 says:

I’m a lifelong ID Software fan, and I thought Quake 4 was better than Quake 2. Oh yes, I’m going there.

Quake 4 was a brilliant action sci-fi romp that took all the best bits from its predecessor, as well as films like Starship Troopers, and packaged it together with razor sharp graphics, an over-the-top arsenal of weapons and a cool host of Stroggos to use them on. I distinctly remember that almost every firefight became a very memorable setpiece, along the exciting path to a climatic conclusion.

In fact, I have been curiously delighted with all of Raven’s latest work. Wolfenstein 2009 was a surprising superb (not to mention expansive) arcade shooter that fused a gorgeous WW2 setting with sci-fi noir and blew away the bland and boring Return to Castle Wolfenstein, while Singularity was an expertly crafted time-travel escapade bundled with Raven’s penchant for high-speed, high-stakes gunplay, lovely graphics and a captivating story to boot.

I lament Raven’s consignment to COD mod-making hell, because they have demonstrated time and again that they are masters of the arcade shooter artform, with their more recent offerings deserving much more praise than they received. Quake 4, Wolfenstein 2009 and Singularity were not only all mini-masterpieces in their own right, but ironically, they also served as the much needed antidote to the trudging, military shooter mire that the genre finds itself unable to liberate from. I can only put the derision aimed at these titles down to arcade shooters not being in vogue, younger game reviewers who simply cannot appreciate their balls-out awesomeness, or elitist gamer snobbery in general (see some of the opinions posted above).

Anyway, back on topic, as a child of the late 80′s and early 90′s, ID Software will always be king, with other high-achieving developers simply posing as lesser luminaries in their court. ID pioneered the FPS genre, and brought to us what I still consider the two finest (not to mention most addictive) shooters to date – Doom and Quake. Even if Doom 3 was alittle disappointing (it should have been more like Quake 4), I still wait with baited breath for every ID release, and I always will. End of story.

Oh, and one more thing – someone stated that Singularity was derivative of Bioshock and Fallout. Nonsense. Singularity was well and truly its own beast, and bore no resemblance to the above-mentioned titles whatsoever.

11. Deadly Habit says:

I think this video is very relevant, If Quake was done today

• Prime says:

That is frikking genius. Love it!

But then it made me sad. Hug?

12. Tjermnon says:

Wow, I vividly remember playing MIDI Maze multiplayer as a kid together with my father years before id was even founded.

As much as I loved id in my teen years – I really wonder how they still exist today.

• skyturnedred says:

Licensing their engine to other companies keeps them afloat, I imagine.

13. Turkey says:

Id made a deal with the devil so they could play with the big boys and now they have to pay the piper.

14. scorcher24 says:

I am playing Rage atm and I really love it. The hate towards the gameplay was unwarranted, I am afraid. The technical things might have been valid, but it is still a good solid shooter.

• Jason Moyer says:

Rage is probably my second favorite Id game, behind Quake 1. The technical problems on, what were at the time, medium-to-high end ATI cards were inexcusable, but as far as shooters go I can’t think of any recent games I enjoyed more.

(disclaimer: I also thought Raven’s Singularity was a significantly better shooter than most people gave it credit for – it’s worth playing for the user-controllable bullets alone)

• scorcher24 says:

I loved SIngularity too.

• Jason Moyer says:

Singularity was one of those games I bought for like $5 on Amazon thinking it would be “yet another mediocre shooter I’d blow through on a rainy afternoon” and while I had the length pretty much right, it ended up being really good. The aesthetic was hilariously derivative of Fallout and BioShock, but most of the moment-to-moment gameplay was really fun. Also: slo-mo, curveable bullets. Favorite Raven game since Hexen II.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, Singularity was good. RIP Raven. Hopefully someday you are released from COD DLC purgatory.

15. cunningmunki says:

This. I replayed Quake recently. Well, I say ‘replayed’ but I’m not sure I ever actually played the first time round. I was surprised by two things: Firstly, it was awesome, I mean, really, very, very awesome. Shooters just aren’t that much FUN anymore. Secondly, it’s a stand alone game and the sequels have no relation to it whatsoever other than in name alone. That’s a shame. How about a real Quake 2?

• MadTinkerer says:

To make a proper sequel to Quake 1 you need to keep in mind that Quake 1 is a bastardized fantasy game, literally originally based on the team’s D&D campaign, where they eventually replaced the magic items with guns from Doom. Bear in mind that I’m not joking: that’s what happened, and that’s why Quake has this weird unique gothic/fantasy/cosmic horror flavor that doesn’t usually happen when people sit down and think “what kind of world makes sense where you are a dude who goes around shooting guns at baddies”.

In other words, to make a proper sequel to Quake 1 you need to sit John Romero down and get him to make a design doc for a purely high-powered fantasy game, then you strip out all the explicit magical bits and replace them with technology or fantasy/horror elements. That’s the only way to get the exact same flavor as original Quake.

EDIT: Skyrim mod. Of course! Perfect idea! This needs to be.

16. belgand says:

Except id have never really developed games, what they develop are engines and multiplayer maps. In the past the shooter space was new enough that the flimsy games they developed on top were excellent, but aside from the novelty of laregly creating a new genre of games they only came into their own in multiplayer and as a base for mods. That’s more or less gone now and while they’re technology is still excellent people are expecting more as far as gameplay goes and they don’t have anything there. Until RAGE the plots and settings were always some variant of “bad-ass space marine fighting Nazis/involved in a teleporter accident and fighting demons in a fantasy/sci-fi-inspired hellscape”.

Half-Life killed the old model by showing that you could have a great, story-driven game with a compelling setting that isn’t largely abstract. It seems like the best idea for the present is for id to retreat from developing games and just focus on engine development entirely, licensing out their top-notch technology to other developers to work with or bringing them in to collaborate on turning it into a game.

• Infinitron says:

“Every game must have a gripping cinematic storyline or it’s not a real game”, Notch read and laughed as he swam in his pile of money.

• Baines says:

It isn’t even really true that FPS specifically need a cinematic storyline. Developers and publishers are caught up in the idea that they are making Hollywood blockbuster productions, and that they need such things to sell millions and challenge Call of Duty.

• ResonanceCascade says:

id developed extremely pure games with no bullshit frills. They had excellent weapon, enemy, and level design. No one else at the time was even close. Then with Doom 3 they decided what people really wanted was a cinematic “story” and “experience.” That concept went further south with Rage. Which is great when it comes from someone like Valve, but it’s clearly not id’s forte.

And idtech 5 as seen in Rage sure as hell isn’t “top notch” technology (it barely even works), but it is definitely novel. There’s nothing else out there like it, and that’s probably for a good reason.

17. Lars Westergren says:

Hmm, reading through the commends it seems id are suffering from the same problem Squeenix does with Final Fantasy. Whenever fans are talking, one large and loud group is saying “It’s simple. You need to modernize. Gameplay has moved on, what was cutting it 10 years ago looks simplistic and stale now. If you are failing it is because you are not bold enough in the steps you take.” Another large and loud group is saying “It’s simple. You need to focus on your existing fans, not on appeasing some bland mass market. Do the the same old-school game which made us love you in the first time, only with small changes and hotter graphics. Then all will be well!”

The ironic thing is that many of the posters don’t even seem to notice all the people in the same thread calling for the opposite thing they want.

Also, the first group is obviously the correct one.

• RedViv says:

It’s simple. Just have an idea that costs ten million and gets you a hundred million dollars!

• MarcP says:

In this day and age, making a fast-paced single-player shooter against non-human enemies would be the bold move.

• Secundus says:

allow us to pause and think of the attempts at changing formulas that aren’t flawed that have brought Id and Square such success over the last decade

• Widthwood says:

Quake is one of those games that never got a proper modern equivalent, so FF comparison is way off.. Painkiller, probably, but it was years ago and had very different setting and much less verticality.
      Straightforward single player FPS gameplay nowadays is even MORE simplistic and stale. Dropping health packs, limiting amount of guns, simplifying levels as much as possible, etc – all of these are subtractions, not additions to Quake’s formula.. There are the likes of Metro – but that is a whole different branch of FPSes, closer to Doom than Quake.

Obviously they shouldn’t make it about finding random keys and searching for doors again – but if they just recreated the feel and speed of Quake’s shooty bits, complex levels, vast tactical possibilities not being spoon fed and forced but merely offered – with a proper story, maybe even non linear endings – that will definitely satisfy everyone. Old school players will get what they wanted, and new players will get to now how horribly wrong CoD went.
      Except for console players of course, there is no way both to preserve old school level design and gameplay speed and make it comfortable to play using a controller.

18. Keyrock says:

I’ve reached the point where I don’t particularly care about Doom 4 or whatever game id is making after that.

19. Secundus says:

“Risks, huh? At that point, I had to ask: what about the biggest risk of all? What about a (non-mobile) id game that’s not a shooter? Think of the possibilities: a Wolfenstein Mecha-Hitler management sim, a Doom spin-off in which you do nothing but talk to the monsters, a Quake that’s all about Stroggified stealth. Clearly, the possibilities are endless. Willits, though, is in no hurry to abandon the genre his studio created.”

I agree, Nathan, has Id ever thought of letting us Talk To the Monsters?

20. eightbitrobot says:

I love Quake, Arena is my favorite game of all time.. but I have very high doubts about whether id knows what made those games good.

There are glimmers of hope, Carmack has stated that we would like to return to the Quake 1 Lovecraftian style atmosphere and they have shown their support for Quake Live, and they listen to the community over there.

But, consoles are king..

21. Iskariot says:

To be honest I don’t consider ID very good at making games at all. They produce good technology for making games, but that is it.
    Doom 3 looked incredible, but as far as gameplay is concerned it was mediocre at best. The same goes for Rage etc..

• Widthwood says:

Rage still got that precise Id feel of raw shooting, so there is some hope left.. But they do need to hire some new game designers, that’s for sure.

22. waltC says:

Here’s hoping id will do an original game this time! One loaded with startlingly fresh themes like satanic pentagrams, horned demons, Nazis and gargoyles! It’d be cool if they’d simulate an Armadillo Space, Inc. rocket carrying an experimental human into space who has been bio-engineered to fit inside one of their premiere payload rockets four feet long by six cylindrical inches wide–but shortly after obtaining earth orbit a mysterious force causes the rocket to spin out of control, lose orbit, and plummet to earth where it buries itself thirty feet into the broiling Texas desert sands! Then suddenly, where the rocket drilled deep down into the bedrock, the earth splits open and it’s as if Hell itself is unleashed and horned demons and mighty flying gargoyles fly out of the ruptured ground to assail Earth–and then “you”–the game’s erstwhile human protagonist and former bio-engineered rocket payload–pop up out of the hole in the dirt yourself, now vastly mutated into an official HELLFIGHTER(TM) named “Sarge”, a Muta-being(TM) with bulging biceps, an albino crew-cut hairdo and a big cigar held between your clenched teeth, the only semi-human being standing between the unleashed hordes of Beelzebub loosed for ARMAGEDDON and your beloved but defenseless planet Earth! What a game!!!!

Yes, if only id would do something original like that. Can you imagine? RAGE would be quickly forgotten, no doubt.

23. pjb6k says:

I really want to see id succeed. It killed me to see them release a lousy shooter that aped Borderlands & F3. The vehicle handling sucked & only had the veneer of RPG choice. I loved the animations & weapons. I just don’t want to see id mired in the past, trading on nostalgia like Nintendo.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Except it is a better “shooter” than Borderlands or FO3. It is, perhaps, a lousy game, but the shooty bits are top-notch.

• dE says:

This is curious, do tell… is there an alternate version of Rage? Because playing it, I thought I have never once played a game where the weapons felt more dull and uninteresting. And I’ve played some shitty games in my life.

24. Jabberslops says:

Steam says I have played Rage for 6 hours. I’m finding it difficult to play it anymore because I am being forced to play racing bits that have nothing to do with the story so far that I can tell. In the future everyone is wearing almost 0 armor and can take half a clip of AK74 ammo and yet throwing blades are an instant kill? It would be understandable if every mob had a personal shield like from Borderlands, but they don’t. How can anyone think it’s fun to put half a clip of ammo into an unarmored enemy and then they just get back up?

Combat in Rage would have been much better if it were more like Fallout 3/ New Vegas or Borderlands. At least then you could sort of give an excuse for why everything is a bullet sponge (not really though). The UI should have been designed to be similar to Fallout 3/NV, because then you could get an idea of what is going on with your inventory or missions. Racing probably should have been cut and the zones made smaller. Maybe even design the zones like Borderlands with fast travel nodes or like Fallout 3/ NV where you visit a location and then can fast travel to and from there from your map instead of having to drive everywhere (If you already can I missed it in the UI).

25. Barberetti says:

I’d like the id software that made Quake 1 to make that game. id’s current lineup? Not so sure. To be honest, I hope they leave it. I’d rather have no sequel than a sub-par one.

26. Popcornicus says:

“At least we made something different and new. I wish more developers would do that.”

But…but your games are the most generic shooters imaginable. id is lost.

27. Mario112 says:

I’m still waiting for Id to port the Doom II wad’s to ios mobile. Doom 4 is bound to happen eventually. I hope they really step it up. It would be nice to see something a little less linear than Doom 3 and its addons.

28. rick.wainio says:

I understand that people hate change and so this is why some people do not like the Strogg and Matthew Kane…but for me, Quake IV is what got me turned on to Quake. I never played Quake 1, and IMO, Quake 2 and 3 suck hard! So I don’t know, maybe iD Software can just sell the whole Strogg/Kane story (since “nobody” liked it) and then continue on with Kane’s story! I loved it!!!