Command & Conquer Dev Diary Explains Things

By Jim Rossignol on August 7th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Electronic Arts and Victory Games send word of one of those explanatory videos, where serious people talk about how games are made. Specifically how the forthcoming Command & Conquer gets made. It all seems pretty exciting, and no one appears glum says “well, we go into this big glass building every day, and eventually a game happens.” In fact, this video makes the work of just building a single RTS unit seem a bit like putting a man into space, with lots of people and technology in which things spin and explode. (But just on a computer screen of course.)

Sign ups for the new C&C beta are taking place on the site, if that’s your cup of tiberium.

I was going to use this sentence to link to our preview of the game, but it seems like we haven’t actually done a preview of it. Which is odd, because I thought we had. Memory going. Must be getting old.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. XhomeB says:

I was so disappointed when they cancelled Generals 2 and turned it into… this.
    Generals campaign, while short, was so fun to play. Nice mission design, great music and impressive in-engine cutscenes kept me glued the game for a long time.

I’m… just not interested in a F2P, always-online game. Single Player and Skirmish vs AI is all that interests me.

• BobbyDylan says:

Glad I’m not the only one.

• gunny1993 says:

Aye, Generals has always been and still is, my favorite C&C game.

• Bull0 says:

China wirr gwow rarger!

• gunny1993 says:

Pffff, it’s all about allied superweapon force general with the fucking awesome sweet Arura bombers

• lurkalisk says:

Choosing her would usually get you booted from multiplayer games, back when I played.

• Runty McTall says:

Generals was fantastic. Shame that the engine has some pretty fundamental issues – my friends and I like to turtle (super-weapon break out FTW!) and even on really modern hardware the midgame still slows to treacle. A few years ago we bit the bullet and moved to Sup Com 2 as our RTS entry in the games rotation at LAN parties (Planetary Annihilation is expected to replace SC2 in turn)

• kickme22 says:

You should buy Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, it’s a bit slower paced, but has much larger maps, much better units, and is overall a deeper and more complete game (and graphically is still a beast)

• Ringwraith says:

The second game works much better for shorter games and not making computers explode however.

• Runty McTall says:

A few of my friends must’ve put 1,000 hours plus into Sup Com 2, easy*. I think without the ability to actually destroy planets, no RTS would be able to prise them away.

*This makes playing with them at LAN parties a bit weird, as I can barely understand what they are doing, let alone what they are saying. I mostly just churn out the experimental gunship and try to tile the map with gantries. Also, artillery.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

I`m guessing you`re a UEF player then?

I actually preferred SupCom2 to 1 and FA, mostly because the economy is simpler and it doesn`t Halt and Catch Fire when selecting more than 10 units at a time. I still play it occasionally, mostly to remember how much I hate GPG for nerfing the Cybrans into the ground and forgetting about the Seraphim.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Odd, I preferred the Supcom 1 economy by a long shot. The changes they made in 2 made it feel a lot more fiddly and “traditional” to me, where in SC1 the logistical aspect was smooth enough that I could spend some time actually thinking about strategy.

When in doubt, set factories to infinite runs of t2 tanks and waypoint the middle of the enemy base!

• kickme22 says:

I know people are worried about the F2P aspect, but (being currently in the Alpha) they are doing “good” f2p. The only thing so far that you could in theory spend money on is more generals (similar to CnC Zero Hour it has a bunch of types of generals). The gameplay feels really similar to the original generals and has player vs ai. It’s still rough but the Alpha has definitely made me hopeful that it will be awesome

• Screamer says:

What!!?!! But that’s huge!! In Generals you faction changes completely according to your general.

So this is just going to end up as playing against a shit load of USA Super Weapon general cause its the only one that’s free or whatever one thats free :/

• Bleiz says:

Don’t be. If there’s something Dota 2 showed us, it’s that free to play does not always equal crap.
      Devs clearly said they weren’t aiming for pay-to-win mechanics, and that seemed to be the main concern for most people.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I suspect that it’s rarely the devs that are to blame for questionable F2P business models.

2. dE says:

And the war on color continues!

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, did a rainbow barf on that tank?

• lurkalisk says:

To be fair, they appear to be aiming for a realistic style. You will rarely see an aerial photo of a desert town that has much colour. Even what little colour you might find would be muted from the perspective.

3. dagudman says:

I liked the asian guy a lot.

4. Kollega says:

So, “Victory Games”, eh? I wonder how much Victory Gin they consumed in preparation for recording this video.

5. piercehead says:

Nuke? Really. That has to be the most disappointingly weak explosion of any nuke ever made.

• Kollega says:

The financial crisis has hit everyone pretty hard. The terrorists could only afford a casing from a nuclear bomb, but not the bomb itself. Hence, the underwhelming explosion.

• Eonfge says:

I still play C&C Contra from time to time. There too, is a Nuke Truck. IT. IS. EPIC.

This on the other hand is whimsical. Anybody who agrees I can advise to look and C&C Contra. Which makes me feel a lot more glad about Generals then Generals 2 (what it is!) does.

• Master Realtor Marklew says:

Terrorists are taking a homeopathic approach to nukes.

• SuicideKing says:

I’ve seen bigger explosions in Angry Birds.

6. Bull0 says:

Really? They convene a huge committee to talk about each individual unit in the game? Either that’s crap, or that is one monolithic, impossibly cumbersome approach to development.

• Master Realtor Marklew says:

As someone firmly entrenched in the brazilian bureaucratic apparatus, even I find that unnecessarily complicated. Do they have to reconvene every time there is a change to the unit’s stats or their role in the faction?

7. Crosmando says:

How the frack can anyone be nostalgic for Generals?! The game is not exactly old you know. The original C&C and Red Alert 1, sure.

• Werthead says:

It came out 10 years and 6 months ago. YMMV on whether that’s old by computer game terms or not, but certainly old enough for nostalgia to set in.

• Koozer says:

It was released 10 years ago. We are now old.

8. lofaszjoska says:

Isn’t this supposed to have an epic Bioware ™ single player campaign?

9. Gap Gen says:

So wait, what is this game called? Or are they just hoping we forgot that there was a game called Command and Conquer before?

10. Mr. Hawn says:

Anyone else notice the disturbing lack of friendly fire for the truck in the video? You should have to actually manage your trucks so the first one doesn’t take out your entire truck convoy…