Inaugural Madness: Saints Row 4 Gets Free Demo (Kinda)

By Nathan Grayson on August 7th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

hello i am the president do you have any carrots you know i met someone who looked like you once they are dead now

You can play a very specific portion of Saints Row 4 right now! Sadly, rolling down the streets while leaving entire city blocks in dubstep-cratered ruins is still off the table, but you now have full, unfettered access to the gloriously unhinged open-worlder’s character creator. No, it’s not a real taste of all the game has to offer, but the uproarious lunacy is still strong in this one. Want to make Batman villains? Horse people? Whatever this thing is? Then go ahead. Once the full game is out, you’ll be able to hop right in as the first, er, female eagle monster eagle mobster pretty-much-anything-you-can-think-of President.

It’s not quite Spore creature creator flexible, but then, who needs that when you have easy access to every part needed for a ninja version of Stan Lee or lookalikes from pretty much every series imaginable?

Yes, I might have spent a little too much time pouring over this thing’s community upload page. It’s a melting pot of originality and blatant imitation. Also, I’m just gonna go ahead and declare most of its contents NSFW. But then, this is the character creator for Saints Row 4. What else would you expect?

Saints Row 4 will be out on August 23rd. It looks overwhelmingly dumb and obnoxious in the best ways possible. Is anyone not excited about it? If so, why don’t you want to be happy?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Metalfish says:

RE: title image, time for some horse steppin’.

2. RedViv says:

It is to note that, if you had for the purposes of earlier SR online functionality created an account and linked it to your Steam-ID, you might possibly not be able to upload your characters due to some sort of password verification troubles, now that SR accounts and THQ accounts have been separated.

• FunnyB says:

Worked perfectly fine for me. However, I was certain that I had uploaded my SR3 character to my account, and there were no SR3 characters available for download. But uploading new SR4 characters worked fine.

• ahac says:

You need to login on saintrow.com and queue your SR3 character for download (click on the +), then it should be available in the game.

• Teovald says:

Same thing here, I spent half an hour trying to recover my account, but looks like SR3 character edit is dead.

• FunnyB says:

I’m thinking about trying to upload my SR3 character anew from within SR3, and see if that works!

• KillerKlown says:

Worked for me, I uploaded a character from sr3 via the community choice in sr3 menu yesterday, logged into the sr website, choose character select, add to queue or something and it imported mostly ok in the sr4 inauguration station except for the superheroine costume. yay.

• NathaI3 says:

Same, SR3 just refuses to recognise my password even though i KNOW its right. Its a shame as one thing i didn’t like going from SR2 to 3 was that the character completely changes and no one bats an eyelid. At least in SR2 they explained it away with plastic surgery after massive burn damage.

3. apocraphyn says:

Nathaaaaaan! You should change “pouring over this” to ‘poring over this’. Different words, yo.

As for being excited about the game, I’m not, particularly. Had a bit of a fun time with Saints Row (the Third) not so long ago, but I don’t feel a particular desire to dive back into its mad depths again any time soon.

4. DrScuttles says:

We want to be happy Nathan, really we do. It’s just that, well, sometimes even smiling makes my face ache.

5. BTAxis says:

Aw. It doesn’t like me, crashes right after the logo movies.

6. VCepesh says:

I was hoping they would update the graphical assets. Those textures and models are quite painful to look at. Or maybe it is just excessive amounts of bloom.

7. Keyrock says:

I enjoyed just listening to the different phrases they say in different voices. My favorites so far are (female French accent) “There are some of you that question whether I’m even eligible to become President of the United States. To those people I’d simply like to say ‘**** you!’” and (female southern accent) “Some may question my approach, but these so called ‘unconventional’ tactics have proven quite effective. I do, however, recognize when I’ve made a mistake. Therefore, starting tomorrow, all bourbon fountains shall be removed from stadiums.”

8. Baines says:

I’m not excited about it. I’d like to be excited, but the game is mostly following the path that Saints Row the Third took that I didn’t like. That, and I figure I can wait a year and buy a GOTY version that includes all the tons of planned DLC.

9. CcDohl says:

Disappointed. I was hoping that they would have a better character like was in Saints Row 2.

10. Jupiah says:

I do love the options to upload my character and download other people’s, but I wish the game included the option to save custom characters locally. It’s rather annoying when I’m playing system link on the xbox version with my buddy who doesn’t have a gaming pc and neither of us can save our custom characters so we never change our appearances.

11. jonahcutter says:

I am so phenomenally disappointed there is no female Russian voice, I’m not sure if I can go on.

It just feels like a charade…

12. CutieKnucklePie says:

“Play as the character you want to play” I wish more devs were embracing that motto instead of locking you onto the default straight white male with a gruff voice 90% of the time. Volition FTW!

Comment on this story