Precinct Kickstarter Arrested, Alternative Funds Sought

By Craig Pearson on August 7th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Excuse me, I moustache you a question.
For whatever reason, the spiritual successor to Police Squad, Precinct, just didn’t capture the imagination of the Kickstarter crowd. This week should have been the final hurrah, but the game had only scraped 15% of the hoped $500,000 goal. The team have decided it would be easier on everyone to just cancel the crow-funding. All is not lost, though. They still hope to fund the game, but instead of doing it on Kickstarter, they’re asking for direct donations.

You can get involved over at the game’s site. The new funding is a bit different: there are no tier rewards, and all funders will receive the game. It doesn’t matter if you pay a dollar of a thousand bucks, you get the game. You also get access to in-development builds. At 25k they’ll provide a proof of concept, 90k a vertical slice, 250k a demo, and at the magic 400k mark the full game. None of those funds will go towards extras like commemorative taser guns.

They’ve repurposed the Kickstarter pitch for this.

I am not surprised. Looking back, only 7 backer updates (including the cancellation announcement) over twenty days is low for a game that probably needs a fair amount of explanation. And the expensive tier rewards probably didn’t help. They certainly put me off. I also didn’t hear many people talking about it beyond the initial announcement: at this stage there are tweets, there are emails, people are begging you to make it happen. But the first I heard about it post-launch was that the Kickstarter was dead.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hmm-Hmm. says:

And no comments on the article as well. Shows how much attention there was.

Also, snigger-worthy alt-text, dear sir.

2. Lifebleeder says:

I loved Police Quest, I still think it’s a neat idea. I know what put me off was the expensive tiers when it first launched. I checked it out, saw the tiers and said no thanks. Never checked it again.

3. Bull0 says:

If it were a spiritual sequel to Police Squad I’d have backed it. http://youtu.be/gRhDE10mmME

4. RedViv says:

“So here are more ways to finance the game we never did show in any way to be capable of doing!”

Okay then.

• The Random One says:

I’ll bet they deliver! Specifically, I’ll bet a single dollar.

• lowprices says:

Don’t worry, they’ll be able to prove it once you give them $25,000.

• KevinLew says:

If a game has trouble raising $500,000 for the original Kickstarter campaign, then why would a developer make a second fundraiser and list stretch goals that go all the way to $700,000? Doesn’t this imply that you’re not being very realistic?

5. LimeWarrior says:

I would have investigated this, but it was never on my radar. It’s criminal how easily these slip through the cracks.

• dftaylor says:

I’m alarmed that they’d seek to handcuff so many people to such expensive tiers before getting a copy of the game. Sadly, they’ve had to put out an APB for alternate funding, something which the clear evidence of how the game will work doesn’t warrant.

• soldant says:

You’re under arrest for using too many puns in a potential pun thread.

6. oxguy3 says:

Crows generally do not have any money at all; I am surprised that they even raised 15% of their goal with “crow-funding”.

• darkChozo says:

It’s probably because Kickstarter only does Amazon Payments/cards and not shiny bits of rubbish. Sad, really.

• Don Reba says:

Actually, crows are notorious for snatching shiny things and are capable of amassing surprisingly large fortunes. They are fickle, however, and need a constant stream of updates to keep them interested.

• Keyrock says:

I’ll probably back this on their site, as I loved Police Quest. I would DEFINITELY back a crow-funded spiritual successor to Police Squad.

• TheTingler says:

Particularly if it’s Crow from Mystery Science Theater 3000. He never had any money. Maybe Psycrow from Earthworm Jim? But then he’d probably want to avoid the police rather than help make a game about them.

7. mrmalodor says:

The video and screenshot they presented were pretty awful. I’m glad the campaign fell through. I think they would’ve been at least a little more successful with a classic PnC style game with pretty hand-drawn art.

8. dftaylor says:

It was a ridiculously ambitious game for the money they wanted. Consider what LA Noire cost (financially, personally and professionally) for those involved. It would have just been a series of mini-games with little replay value.

I love the idea of a Police Quest game in a Liberty City-style open world, with the random missions of Red Dead Redemption and overarching plot of James Ellroy’s LA Quartet. But there’s no way this game is going to deliver that!

9. Kasper says:

Anyone remember the old Hill Street Blues game for the Amiga? I’d love to see a police themed game like that with a modern polish. Something a bit like XCOM and Massive Chalice, just with a poilce twist and without direct control of your police officers – but with a focus on strategy and tactics with an rpg twist.

Dispatching units to procedurally occuring crimes in a city that changes and morphs based on your action and succes, with new rookies coming through the ranks that needs to be trained and giving you that personal attachment like in XCOM.

Actually, it would probably be a bit more like Football Manager, now that I think about it.