Ship Shapes: Wayward Terran Frontier

By Craig Pearson on August 7th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

You should see what it looks like on the inside.
Welcome to Space Gamers Anonymous, my now regularly scheduled meeting for every RPS writer who can’t stop posting about space games. I just checked and I am present so the meeting can move on. The point of today’s meeting is to accuse me, Craig, of finding another space game when I’ve already posted about a zillion of them. Well, what do I have to say for myself? That Wayward Terran Frontier is a bit like a cross between FTL and Gratutious Space Battles, where you design your own ship and take into space. I go on to say that you can hop from the outside, where the battle is blasting away bits of your hull, to the inside to see the damage being taken. And that maybe a few RPS readers might like to see it in action and play the alpha? Well, that seems perfectly reasonable. Well done to me. Meeting adjourned.

I *think* I got away with that. Mmmmm, space. Wayward Terran Frontier’s interesting for the roadmap the developer has set: a persistent universe where people will crew ships, take missions, loot, and most importantly adventure. All the stuff we expect from space. The server host will act as a dungeon master, creating a particular environment for the players to thrive or survive in. Ship choices are pretty complex, with you linking systems, and worrying about potential air breaches. It puts me in mind of a more complex, less event driven variant of FTL.

Of course, he still has to build that. At least he’s someway there. And here’s a half-hour long developer look at the game. It’s in very early alpha, so it’s not gorgeous looking, but I think it has a functional charm.

Here’s the wee video demonstrating the damage that got me investigating the game.

The big difference between this and 90% of all the other games-o-space that I find myself staring at is that this one is actually playable.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. GamesInquirer says:

Nice job reporting this. WTF looks great.

Hopefully development will go smoothly and it will deliver.

2. DrScuttles says:

It’s like Space Christmas is here already.

3. Liudeius says:

How long until the site crashes?

It is definitely Alpha, I can’t even find out how to play.

Edit: Well if you do spend 30 minutes watching the video to find out how to build a ship, it’s pretty cool.
    This is more or less the interface I was hoping to find in SPAZ (rather than the restrictive “modular” system of you can either put a missile weapon here, or no weapon, and a beam or cannon weapon here, or no weapon.)

4. gunny1993 says:

Opening lines make me want to watch flight of the concords

5. Biscuitry says:

Okay, points for good concept, but really, who deliberately calls their game WTF? SPAZ was bad enough.

6. Maxheadroom says:

The combination of the title and my train of thought at the time caused me to briefly think this was a PSI 5 Trading Company reimagining / remake.

Now through no fault of your own I am disappointed in this

7. hjd_uk says:

Nice ship-building and damage system.

I like the idea of the parts fo the ship breaking off and still working :) It would make it possible to have a modular ship that can break apart into small sub-ships and keep firing / manouvering.

Of course the best idea for a ‘realistic’ battle ship is a heavily armored sphere covered with guns, with all the important stuff in the middle, … but its not the most interesting to look at.

8. The Random One says:

Carry on my wayward terran frontier
    There’ll be ships when you are done
    Lay this alpha game to test
    Then you can fly some more

9. geldonyetich says:

Perhaps had I stuck to my guns in my BYOND dabblings in crafting an epic space game, I would be getting reported on RPS, too?

Ah well, I’ll just say that the devil is in the details. WTF could be quite awesome, if they can figure out exactly what they’re going to do with their destructible ships.

10. chaos4u says:

i have been waiting for a long time to see games approach this level of complexity . i love the idea and look forward to playing around with this .