Digital PC Games Go On Sale Down The Amazon

By Craig Pearson on August 8th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

At last, I can finally buy Far Cry 3 online!
Unless you’re an entrant to the Running Man or a Guess What I Ate From The Smell In My Toilet event, competition is mostly a good thing, so I’m happy to see Amazon UK finally following America and taking digital PC gaming seriously. The seller of everything has now added digital downloads to the UK store. The usual suspects are on board, with EA, Square Enix, and Ubisoft games all popping up on sale today.

It looks like Amazon are offering both a download service and selling CD Keys to Origin and Uplay. You’ll always have access to downloadable purchases from Amazon’s digital wallet, which is the bare minimum of what you’d expect. Going a bit further, though. They also offer free-to-play titles, and though the offerings there are a bit slim at the moment, you can use Amazon to purchase in-game currency. They’ll also be selling software.

In the grand scheme of things, does this mean much? Maybe a few cheaper games for everyone. Amazon have done well disrupting a the book market in recent times with the Kindle, but this is a more established area. At most I think it’ll just mean another place to hit refresh when it’s sale time. Amazon’s Kindle sales have made a tiny dent in my book budget, and it would be nice to see them do the same with games.

, .

1. valy says:

Origin, Uplay…i feel like we’re missing someone. Can’t put my finger on it though.

• Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

Games for Windows Live?

• Chalky says:

Looks like Civ V (steamworks) is listed on the page too? Or is that not the same thing?

• frightlever says:

Seems to be Steam as well, yeah. They also have eg the Borderlands 2 DLC available as a Steam code.

• phelix says:

Desura?

• Liudeius says:

Didn’t Valve make some download service for Half-Life?

• ZIGS says:

Now that you mentioned it, I think they did. Pretty cool idea actually, too bad it never took off

2. BobbyDylan says:

Great. Although, I cant see my Origin Library growing much.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Indeed, I don’t like shopkeepers that can’t remember my name, no matter how many times I remind them.

• Premium User Badge jezcentral says:

Although they are a useful way to backup their games that you bought on Steam. :)

3. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

About time. They have been saying this was coming for ages, but has been put off a couple times. Judging by the deals that happen on Amazon US, this is definitely a good thing. There have been a lot of games on offer over on the other side that I have missed out on, so hope to see them our side too.

• Ross Angus says:

No oceans! (I was always a bit frightened to stick a US address in my Amazon account, like Uncle Lewie told me to).

• GallonOfAlan says:

I did – used the White House’s address. LULZ

• lowprices says:

… and then GallonofAlan was kidnapped by the NSA and no-one ever heard from him again.

• harmlos says:

Get your agencies straight – the NSA does SIGINT (signals intelligence). Kidnapping is the CIA’s job.

4. HadToLogin says:

Little tip: if you bought some games from Amazon-US, don’t use same card for Amazon-UK. That’s good way to get your accounts locked.

• frightlever says:

Is this from personal experience or some internet rumour?

Anyway, I never bought from the Amazon US sales. Hopefully Amazon UK will have similar great deals. The current specials are a bit lacklustre.

Dunno if Amazon UK are still doing the 99p Kindle ebook weekly sale, but I bought a ton of books off that, many I’ll probably never get around to. Eventually I just had to stop looking.

• Japjappieo says:

Same question, because have used my credit card account voor .com, and want to use it now for .co.uk. I tried to google it, but I cannot find any indication that is is not allowed by Amazon.

• JohnP says:

That sounds like fearmongering. I use the same credit card and account to buy from amazon.com and amazon.co.uk all the time. My US address is Google’s HQ to get the game deals.

• Dominic White says:

“My US address is Google’s HQ to get the game deals”

Now THAT is a good way to get your account locked. Just use an American friends address or some random home address you googled up. Major landmarks and/or political powers are not exactly inconspicuous as address choices.

• Ross Angus says:

This is exactly what I have the fear about.

• MiniMatt says:

There are perfectly legitimate reasons why someone might say, move house from the USA to the UK and keep the same bank.

Should any such issues arise I’d be tempted to mumble something along the lines of “I used to live in the US. Now I live in the UK.”

• HadToLogin says:

So, one answer to answer them all.

Not my own experience, but read enough people getting problems from Amazon about credit card issues. And one of them is reliable steam-friend who said Amazon locked his account after he mistakenly bought not-steam-drm game and wanted to exchange it to steam-version – instead of game, he received a message they checked his credit card, noticed it’s not from US, gave money back and locked account.

@Japjappieo: Well, Amazon US clearly states “ONLY for US” while UK has “only for UK” – but I guess – just like MiniMatt’ suggested – you could always say “I have home here and there”.

But as brighter side, I never heard about Amazon locking accounts for credit cards on it’s own, it only happened when customer were trying to get some support – that’s when they check your credit card data and find those scams?/abuses?/frauds?.

• Premium User Badge Thermal Ions says:

So I guess that answers the question for those who aren’t in either the US or UK – we’re still screwed over*.

* assuming compliance with the stated distribution licence.

5. fish99 says:

Good news if the amazon US sales are matched in the UK, but somehow I doubt they will be. TBH though there so many other great places to pick up cheap games these days if you show a little patience (and use savygamer).

6. woodsey says:

Good, now I can stop committing minor fraud every time I buy something from Amazon US.

7. waltC says:

I was buying digital computer games on disks 25 years ago–in fact, I’ve never bought a game on disk or downloaded a game from the Internet that was not digital. Is this a case of simply confusing the word “digital” with “downloaded”–or is this just a case of poor spelling?….;)

• BobbyFizz says:

Have you also been out of the local star system for the past 25 years?

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Yeah, words don’t mean things anymore. Get with it.

• fish99 says:

He is right though, games have always been digital, and mostly distributed on digital media.

• harmlos says:

Well, I bought a game on a cassette tape in the mid 1980′s – does that qualify as “almost analog” ?

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

I prefer analog games, personally. Analogue games too, mostly because it turns out getting shot at is surprisingly dangerous in real life.

8. Text_Fish says:

Competition’s a great thing, but only when everyone plays fair. Amazon dodge the taxes that pay for the roads and fibre-optic cables that enable them to do such swift trade at their own customers’ expense and they bully publishers, suppliers, developers and retailers by using loss-leaders to dominate every sector apart from groceries. They’re the worst thing to happen to capitalism. Scum.

• DrGonzo says:

I was with you until the end there. Considering many deaths have been causes by dodgy businesses its pretty ridiculous to say theyre the worst.