Fly Me To The: MirrorMoon Is Smart, Mysterious, In Beta

By Nathan Grayson on August 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Developer Santa Ragione has traded pseudo-Mirror’s-Edge-ish psychedelic sprints for meandering, contemplative exploration, and the result looks positively haunting in the best way possible. MirrorMoon EP (which John saw a bit of during GDC’s Experimental Gameplay Workshop) is a game about the intrigues of planetary exploration, a stark galaxy pregnant with secrets. MirrorMoon spans thousands of star systems, each with their own puzzles, artifacts, and sleeping structures. The twist, however, is that it’s all multiplayer, and here’s the crazy part: “The multiplayer part of MirrorMoon EP lets players share Galaxy Maps with other players: the first explorers to land on a planet will be able to name its Star System and that name will be forever bound to the star for every other player.”

I am all about this sort of thing. I worry that the planets might end up being a little too stark and un-populated, but I absolutely adore the concept. Plus, the puzzle John saw – which involved using beacons of light on one planet to guide the way on another – sounded quite inventive. I do wonder how exactly Santa Ragione’s accomplishing all of this, though. Procedural generation? But then, that’d probably make for some pretty lackluster puzzles. Hmmmm.

MirrorMoon EP will launch on September 4th, but you can preorder and buy into the beta right now. It’ll only run you $8.99, which is certainly tempting. And I mean, I like what I see, but I’d sort of like to understand exactly what’s going on. This, I suppose, is the problem with games about whispered mysteries and resulting curiosity lust: it’s hard to find the line between crucial information and full-on spoiler territory. Guess I’ll just have to dive in and find out for myself. (And I suppose that, for the developer, that’s the upside of games about mystery and slavering curiosity and such.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Armante says:

so lots of penis, willy and booby star systems then?
    i hope they vet and veto names before setting them in stone..

2. RaoulDuke says:

What’s the fascination with putting “EP” at the end of your game title recently? The other time I’ve seen this was with “Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP”. Are there other examples?

Have I missed something or are the devs just wanky wankers?

• KirbyEvan says:

They stick EP at the end because they consider the music to be an important part of the game.

That or perhaps the game is an “extended play”, where it’s not short but it’s not exactly as long as other games?

• Mo6eB says:

I would guess both. Swowrd and Swowowowowowrcery (I can never remember when the ‘w’s end) EP was longer than a short newgrounds flash game, but shorter than a 30 hours one and the music was quite important.

• Gap Gen says:

It’s part of the Elephant Patrol series, in which you’re really an elephant, fighting crime in disguise.

3. Dave513271 says:

I’m pregnant with excitement

4. ukpanik says:

Watching that, I got reminded of Mercenary on the C64. Good memories.

5. Tinotoin says:

I really like Fotonica, but I’m really not sure about this one – I don’t really gleam a huge amount from the trailer.

6. jonahcutter says:

Cargo Commander does something like this.

You can either visit existing systems, or name a new one and spawn it. Then other players will be able to travel to it. Systems are randomly generated, but once generated play out the same way, the same time, for everyone.

You can even find postcards sent out by other players, your own blank postcards to write and send out, and find/loot the corpses of other players in spots they died. Scores are tracked per system if you like competing for leaderboard spots.

It’s a neat, oblique approach to a multiplayer system, making players feel part of a larger whole without requiring them to interact directly.

• KirbyEvan says:

Word, Cargo Commander really needs more love, it was able to pop a great story onto a fast-paced arcade-style game with an addictive travel system that kept you coming back for more.

The soundtrack was pretty good too.

7. Urthman says:

I don’t understand why it’s taken so long for someone to make another game like Noctis, but this is the closest thing I’ve seen yet.

8. Tunips says:

Santa Ragione, creator of superbly tense and beautifully illustrated board game Escape From Aliens in Outer Space? I’m in.

9. Edgy Mirrors says:

Gave the free version of this a shot when it was showing up at the GDC awards, but I gave up after ten minutes of wandering around in what appeared to be nowhere/nothing. Anyone else get farther than me?

10. xylo says:

Noctis IV was a brilliant “game”, and obviously the inspiration for this. (If not a freak coincidence.) I’ve been waiting for news of Noctis V on the horizon for upwards of three years to no avail. This looks like it will have to do. And do it will.

Comment on this story