Shack Attack: Arma 3 Construction Mod

By Craig Pearson on August 8th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

This is my shack. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My shack is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My shack, without me, it's useless. Without my shack, I am useless. I must build my shack true. I must shack straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me...
Hunting through impressive Arma 3 mods is a full-time job. Luckily for me, it’s my full-time job, so I get to show everyone what amazing things the community has been making and keep myself in the manner to which I’ve become accustomed (impoverished, hungry, covered in sores). So in admiring this amazing in development Arma 3 Construction Mod, you’re doing me a favour. Go on, admire it. It’s definitely worth a coo over: it’s a building mod that will enable you to create everything from simple shacks to complex, multi-story, er, shacks. The trailer is very impressive.

So right now there’s only one building material, but the rustic nature of the logs at least fits in the abandoned setting of part of Stratis. It appears to simplify the otherwise complex and terrifying nature of shack construction, with the logical progression of foundation, supports, pillars, walls, roof. He even sets to building a set of stairs. It’s part of a bigger mod planned for the future, but there’s no hint to what that is, yet.

As you’d expect Arma 3′s willful AI is causing a fair amount of trouble for the modder. Current problems include:

Walking through walls.
Committing suicide by walking off the edge of a partly constructed floor.
Not moving at all.
Refusing to acknowledge the height co-ordinate.

But it wouldn’t be Arma without bugs.

Oh hey, Arma 3 has a release date. Sept 12th.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Anthile says:

Still not as wooden as the animations.

2. The Random One says:

Shacking news!

3. Mctittles says:

Unless Arma 3 has made changes since the previous engines I’m not sure if the walking through walls is a solvable problems. What I’ve found working with previous Arma versions is the AI has a picture of the walls/doors on first load and moving stuff around doesn’t change this picture. If you open a door originally closed, they still see if closed and vice versa.

4. SuicideKing says:

This could be used to simulate slow encroachment and building of defenses in enemy territory. Fun stuff.

5. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

But is there any digging?

6. Svardskampe says:

I can’t help but think that this guy ripped off the shack segments from Rust, the prototype of the Garry from garry’s mod. Lack of creativity and ripping stuff is never good :( also in mods without seeking profits.

• Chickenfeed says:

I assume you say that he is ripping off Rust because the developer says “I was inspired by Rust”….

• Svardskampe says:

Lol alright :p, I was watching this on my tablet and couldn’t put the volume to an understandable level at the time. Sorry.

7. racccoon says:

Great work modding is tough and this is nicely created. I hope he does well with it and hope someone out there can help him make it work and grow into better things. references to rust is not he even states he made this all on his own merit. I do not see why almost everyone has to compare peoples work with other stuff out there when that really isn’t worth mentioning.
    I think its great job! well done.

8. Hahaha says:

“Inspired by Sanctum, Rust, and some older games. Rust would likely never have existed if not for Minecraft and DayZ. The gaming industry is about inspiration and innovation. Hardly any new ideas these days are totally original because near enough everything possible has been done in the past.

Let’s be positive about choice! Be happy that we don’t only have Pac-Man to play. Instead we have a huge choice of games along with multiple gaming platforms to play on.

Play nice and game on! :)”

Good reading skills guys.

Comment on this story