Independence Day: IGF 2014 Open, Ch-Ch-Changes

By Jim Rossignol on August 9th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Dizzyingly popular indie games mega-event, the Independent Games Festival, is happening again. This time in 2014. That happening-confirmation means that submissions for the competition of whose made the bestest computer game without evil corporate help can now be made. But there are changes: Previous IGF finalists will not be allowed to re-enter the same game to this year’s festival. Nope, so that’s fixed. There’s also no more Technical Excellence category, so no matter how technically excellent your game is, it also has to be actually excellent to win. But it has a greater chance of making it to the finals: the number of finalists for each category has risen to six. As usual there are lots of prize monies available. So get submitting!

Hmm, I am sure I had a game I should enter around here somewhere. What was its name again?

__________________

« | »

1. dontnormally says:

Fez II will win.

2. lowprices says:

Jim, I’m pretty sure your game was called “Broken Age”. You should enter that if it’s out in time.

ALTERNATE JOKE: “Sir, you are being entered”.

3. Velko says:

DAVID BOWIE JOKE

4. Hodge says:

Right! Time to bang something together in Twine.

5. MOKKA says:

I wonder if I should submit the game I made earlier this year.

Could be fun, although a bit expensive…

6. DarkFarmer says:

i used to bitch and complain about the IGF & its various judging policies in every RPS IGF post, but now I have come to accept that my games just sucked and who cares.

7. beatdarwin says:

“So get submitting!”

Perfectly played, Sir Jim. Stoke everyone else into Xanax mode while your deservedly large KS backer and pre-order open alpha gives the Big Robot team a chance to polish the hell out of SYABH before the October 19, 2013 at 11:59pm PDT deadline.

Fiendish grin fully intended!

8. malkav11 says:

I feel like the IGF is one of those events that’s only really meaningful to people working in the industry, because we mere mortals can’t actually play the vast majority of the games that are entered. In fact, many of the most successful games don’t actually see sale for years thereafter. Monaco was a huge hit at IGF years ago, but we didn’t see it until a few months back. Nidhogg was a festival darling but still isn’t out. Etc.

I care about spotlighting and celebrating games that I can download and play right bloody now, not someday in the indefinite future.

• beatdarwin says:

Open alpha for Sir, You Are Being Hunted opens on August 19. Play it, and then You decide whether to throw it some moral support for IGF 2014.

I disagree with your assertion that IGF is only relevant to people working in the industry. I don’t, and yet I truly relish the fact the thing exists. IGF and such are a big part of the lever that broke AAA hegemony over “games wot matter”.

• malkav11 says:

Indie games that matter and are available to play are what broke the indie scene into public discourse. Mostly what the IGF does is provide some pre-release marketing for indie games, as far as I can tell. Which is not necessarily a bad thing – you can’t sell a game nobody’s ever heard of – but I submit that other channels would be preferable and that something like the IGF should be about promoting and rewarding excellence in games that are out.

• Wedge says:

The IGF used to matter when indie games had trouble getting press, but it’s just turned into some cool kids fap club that doesn’t mean anything anymore. Any game that wins anything now either has enough popularity that it won’t matter, or is some hyper experimental piece of faff that could barely be called a game. The thing with allowing unfinished games in was so in theory if they won, they could get some money to help fund them, but we’ve already seen how we’ve moved past that being relevant.

Comment on this story