Bicycle! Bicycle! MTBFreeride’s Downhill Fun

By Craig Pearson on August 12th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

I own a mountain bike, but I can’t really tell you if MTBFreeride’s downhill riding fun is as accurate as it claims to be. My bike has been sat in John’s back garden for the past two years, so really if the bike in the game moves even one inch then it doesn’t match my experiences. No, this game claims that bikes move down hills at high speed, bumping over jumps and whizzing past trees. Where’s the crawling vines wrapping around the body? Where’s the creeping rust? Where are all the phonecalls from John, his wife, and his dad threatening me? No, this really doesn’t feel like mountain biking as I understand it. Consequently, it’s a lot of fun.

It does a few things really well: it’s functionally pretty, so there are nice trees, well-rendered lumpy ground, and a lovely sun in the sky. Not that you’ll be admiring them too much, because another thing is does well is the sense of movement and speed. The first-person view mixes with the solid bumps and the sound of bike wheels wheeling along. I use the Xbox controller to wrestle the bike around corners and over dips because you also need to shift weight around and I find that easier with a thumbstick. It might be a bit overly bumpy, and the speed does feel artificially high, but other than that this is a slick ride through the woods. There are no set paths, though there is a track, so you just need to keep heading roughly in the direction you need to.

For me it went: ride 1, I crashed into a tree. Ride 2, I discovered the bunny hop button and fell over spamming it. Ride 3, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebonkow! It has a Steam Greelight page, which is also the best place to find a working download link. It’s also on Desura, but that’s version 0.3 and the developer is already up to 0.41.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. warthog2k says:

ELASTIGIRL!
    (wubwubwub)

• maria90 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $75 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $18542 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://www.cnn13.com

2. pupsikaso says:

E…

3. pupsikaso says:

I like how his hands start to stretch out as if he’s being sucked into a black hole. And then a few seconds it seems like he’s about to take off and start flying.

4. ZombieOutbreak says:

Does this include a rule where everyone is juicing and if you beat the french they will out you?

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

This looks fun. Downloading now. Thanks for the link!

6. Mr. Mister says:

Has anyone gotten anything better than Ultra Ride?

7. Reapy says:

Hrm, are there any mountain biking games out there? This one seems like it is aiming for the silly side of things, but I think something like this going for semi serious nice ride down the mountain on a bike feel with a trackIR / occulous rift set up would be pretty badass.

• Mr. Mister says:

Actually, this one is aiming on the serious-simulator side of things.

• Reapy says:

Ahh ok it must be early on then, the music combined with the extreme jumps and skidding off the terrain mesh had me thinking it was aiming for goofy Xtreeeeeeeeemmm!!! gameplay.

8. Monchberter says:

Concept would make an ace Skyrim mod. Any out there?

9. Velko says:

I want to ride my biCYCLE

10. edwardoka says:

Avid cyclist, would love a decent cycling game. Lost me at “wub wub skree”.

11. Michael Fogg says:

This comment section’s about to be derailed

12. dagudman says:

EPIC FAIL WUB WUB WUB
    On a side note: I love that this game includes the elongating arm effect when going at high speeds. So many games seem to forget about it.

13. SCdF says:

OK, if that’s not a candidate for Rift support I don’t know what is… I mean my god, I felt sick watching him go off that wooden jump 30s in on a normal monitor.

.. The consumer rift models should come with sick bags.

14. LoveIsGood says:

Geez you can’t download this thing. Google.docs and Dropbox have exceeded limits and the remaining link is a slow Russian site.

15. Shadowcat says:

I admire this trailer’s honesty in emphasising just how shitty the music is going to be by starting out with several long seconds of shitty music with no gameplay, before getting into the shitty music with gameplay.

• InnerPartisan says:

To be fair: The very first few seconds of music are not actually shitty. It’s only when you realize that what you’re listening to is actually a shitty remix of said non-shitty music that the full extent of shittyness becomes painfully obvious.

16. SuicideKing says:

LOL wasn’t there a joke about Arma and bicycle simulators?

17. Chaz says:

Watching that video reminds me some what of the SSX snowboarding games, except on a bike and in first person. Which is no bad thing I might add, in fact I really enjoyed the SSX games. If they can make recovering from the falls a bit more forgiving than just, start back at the beginning, then it could be quite the thing. What it needs is lots of neon lighting, ridiculous loop the loops and fireworks.

18. Mo6eB says:

But is it better than Motocross Madness 2 with the Logitech Wingman Gamepad Extreme?

19. brutaldeluxe09 says:

I’m really not sure about this one, I love bikes and used to ride Downhill, now I like the way they have really captured the aesthetic of riding with this, the trouble though with Freeride is the lack of any competitive element. DH is easy as it’s against the clock but FR has always been more about the showboating. I’ve always wondered why somebody hasn’t done a MTB trials game a la Danny Macaskill style.

Comment on this story