These Tactics Are Real-Time: Black Talons

By Jim Rossignol on August 12th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Strategy hopefuls Camel101 send word of their Kickstarter for Black Talons, which hopes to get us involved in a pacey, all-encompassing sci-fi RTS. They say this: “Black Talons is a real tactics game set in a distant future, where you play as a mercenary commander. You’ll have under your lead every single detail of war: logistics, equipment and diplomacy, which are as important as leadership and cold blood in battle.” They’re pitching as a real-time addition to the tactics spectrum, with elements of XCOM and Mechwarrior: Mercenaries. The first videos of it in action are below, for your edification.

Hmm. Not entirely convincing, perhaps, but then it’s early, and I really do like the idea running a sci-fi space marine mercenary company.

Also this:

Squads and Mechs are persistent in Black Talons; you can choose and upgrade your own army the way you like it. The surviving units of each battle learn new skills and abilities, and will get more powerful with earned experience. Squads from other factions can also be recruited… if the company has previously gained their trust. And sniffing around the black market could also be a source of additional weapons and equipment for the battlecruiser. Build a powerful warship and become unstoppable!

The Kickstarter wants $100k.

, .

1. Dariush says:

I hope the development doesn’t drag on for talon’.

• LionsPhil says:

If it did, they’d struggle to keep their finances in the black.

• Dog Pants says:

I’m thinking it will have me rapt or leave me cold.

• maria90 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $75 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $18542 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://www.cnn13.com

• Guy Montag says:

Look, if you’re going to interrupt a series of puns with an ad, at least have the decency to participate, you blackguard. Talon.

Blacktalonguard. Blackguard talon. Whatever.

• The Random One says:

A crow-dfunding pun thread? Just what I was c-raven.

• PegasusOrgans says:

As long as it alone will nab lacking elements of the genre, even I’ll be ravin’ evermore!

2. Leb says:

Looks/sounds like Dawn of War 2?

FhnuZoag says:

Enh. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of tactics in play, more a bunch of guys in helmets standing still shooting at stuff that have way too much HP, while not under really any clear level of threat – not exactly XCOM. Count me uninterested.

• Oathbreaker says:

Kinda sort of thought the same thing. Too much real time, not enough tactics. Too many faceless units that will just end up being a healthbar with a name, not something you can grow attached to and care about as they grow into seasoned veterans.

• Godly12 says:

Im with FhnuZoag and oathbreaker. I fail to see any “Tactics” at play in the videos. After reading the description about a mix of X-com and Mechwarrior: mercanaries I kinda got my hopes up about having a good Sci-Fi Tactical RTS to look forward to but what I saw was nothing of the such.

4. Phasma Felis says:

“Everyone in position? All right, men–stand motionless in the open and fire your rifles at that armored machine-gun bunker!”

I’m not sure “tactics” is really the word here.

5. Phasma Felis says:

Also not encouraging that 90% of the video is the guy carefully clicking on each of five squads and giving each one identical orders. No band-select or hotkeys in sight. Dunno if that’s the game’s fault or if the guy just doesn’t know how to play properly, but since it’s an official video, neither one is a good sign.

6. PegasusOrgans says:

By definition, this RTS game is the exact opposite of a XCOM type game, XCOM being entirely turn based… or did I miss something? Are there turn based games similar to God of War? Or Starcraft?

• Sheng-ji says:

I guess there are real time games where you can pause and issue orders and also simultaneous turn based games which are another type – real time games like Anno are so slow paced they actually play more like a turn based game than a real time game.

7. belgand says:

They actually lost me at “real-time”. Not even a mention of real-time pausable or a slow, stately real-time that allows plenty of opportunity for contemplation. Sorry, but nope. If there isn’t time to think about it or plan things out I’m just not interested.

As for tactics, yeah. I need to see some manuevering going on here before I’ll accept that. Not even a mech keeping the main force pinned down while your infantry moves to flank.