This Way To: Middle Of Nowhere

By Jim Rossignol on August 12th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I shouldn’t find the phrase “middle of nowhere” funny, but it my head it is attached to being lost in Wales on holiday with my parents, and so takes on a faint whiff of the ludicrous. That’s perhaps a little too idiosyncratic a reaction to the forthcoming survival horror game Middle Of Nowhere, but it’s an honest one. The game itself has little to do with Wales, but plenty to do with families and being lost. The developers explain: “You are Isaac, a widower with only only priority in your life, your daughter Emily. She is an unusual girl who suffers from a severe case of parasomnia, claiming to have premonitions of a lost world called Nowhere. Throughout the years her condition has worsened, prompting you to seek medical assistance. But the results of the encounter were far from expected. You find yourself in the middle of Nowhere, a beautiful yet troubled land filled with horrors that far exceed the confines of reality; and worst of all… Emily is missing.”

Yikes! Details below.

The devs are talking it up as a classic survival horror: “Middle of Nowhere isn’t just jump-scare based, nor is it full of action when it’s meant to be survival horror. Instead, it’s unforgiving to the player and survival is at utmost importance.”

(I think I understand what that means.)

Anyway:

The game is in development right now, with a Kickstarter bound for the 27th of this month.

1. tnzk says:

Like a low-budget, first person Silent Hill.

• Skabooga says:

Its premise does sound strikingly familiar.

• Kaira- says:

Have you seen a little girl? She just turned seven last month. Short, black hair. My daughter.

• Hauskamies says:

I am greatly disturbed by the lack of first person silent hill-like games. Cry of Fear is the only one I can think of but sadly it’s nowhere(lol) near as good as SH.

• maria90 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $75 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $18542 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://www.cnn13.com

2. S Jay says:

4:3

3. gunny1993 says:

Sooooooo predictable, I can see the twist coming from a mile away (Spoilers ahead)

Nowhere is actually “now here”, meaning: it was all a dream/you’re trapped in her mind/you’re in a coma/You’re already dead.

Or maybe it’s own her … e, and is actually a deep philosophical discussion about taking ecstasy.

… Or none of the above

• Alexander says:

I’m sure it’s actually a deep philosophical ecstasy about taking discussion.

Also, she was dead all the time, but she was only in your head. so she’s not real. Also, you’re actually the head of the house. The – physical – head.

• Tacroy says:

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a game like this where the twist is, you’re actually alive?

• gunny1993 says:

I’m sure M.Night.Shamalanadingdong would implode if he ever heard of such a thing.

• The Random One says:

There is no Isaac. Emily imagined him because she wanted a fatherly figure to protect her. But she got so carried away she started to identify with her protector more than herself, until she became a hallucination in her own head. However, as her condition worsens, she’ll need to come to terms with her identity and helplessness and find real help.

Also she’s secretly Canadian.

So you’re now her, eh?

phlebas says:

Game looks interesting. I hope the design will be a bit more streamlined than that website though – waiting several seconds for a video to load so that I can find out what platforms the game’s being released on seems a bit wasteful.

Andy_Panthro says:

Slightly worried about that combat…

Looks like there might be a fair chunk of it and it didn’t look particularly good either.

• DanMan says:

Same feeling here. Hopefully this is still reeeeeeeeeeeealy early. Looks terribly clunky; like Quake 2.

6. Prolar Bear says:

“but it my head it is attached”

You might wanna fix that first “it”.

7. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Why do the graphics look ok in the picture but terrible in the ingame footage, it’s blocky, jerky and ye gods the moire

• Piecewise says:

Did no one read the dang disclaimer at the beginning of the video? They say the reason it looks like that is they don’t have a good pc to run it on- part of the reason they’re asking for money, no doubt.

• mwoody says:

I hate to sound elitist, but seriously, if you don’t even have a computer that can PLAY PC games, you’re not going to be able to make one. And until you have a computer that CAN play PC games, for the love of all that is holy don’t release a terrible looking trailer on whatever you DO have.

I mean, I get the theory behind the entrepreneurial spirit of a small team, but how are we supposed to put faith in a project from someone who apparently can’t even play other PC games?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I think it must mean the engine is horribly optimised if you need a Titan to render it. Who in their right mind would go into game development without even a mid range gaming rig?

As far as promo videos go they haven’t shot themselves in the foot, all that is left is a mangled torso as far as getting funding goes!

BIZZARE!!

8. ostrich160 says:

As said above, looks like a low budget silent fill FPS. The big issue I have with this, is its stuck in this strange graphics limbo you see a lot of indie games get into. Its not an original graphic style like minecraft or pixel art or anything like that, its that kind of regular graphics, but since its so low poly…its hard for me to say, but the graphics arent quite simple enough for them to be unique but arent quite good enough to be immersive.

9. Jetsetlemming says:

This looks terrible, and not at all worth sharing. The screenshot and story idea are fine, however that trailer has abysmal framerate, shoddy graphics, shitty looking gameplay (God look at that battery percentage drain), and is selling itself using stolen Silent Hill music. It’s a pretty bad sign when a game violates copyright for its advertising materials, then asks for money.

• Jake says:

It’s not actually Silent Hill music though is it, just very very similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgjyN9Bo4Y

But I guess if you are going to borrow, may as well borrow from Silent Hill 2, considering it is the best game ever and no-one else seems to be making anything like it.

10. BobbleHat says:

They could have given it a bit more development time before releasing a trailer; that looked like one of the countless ‘scary’ Half-Life 2 mods that are so popular on Youtube. Sadly it didn’t do anything unique enough to make me want to play it.

• gunny1993 says:

Eh, there’s not so many of those mods.

Pretty much Nightmare house 2 and Cry of fear are the only good ones i can think of.

golem09 says:

Gotta see how this turns out. The references to Silent Hill are more than obvious, yet it makes the same mistake as every Silent Hill wannabee ever (except Lone Survivor), too much combat. First Person alone is pretty much a no go, and dealing with several enemies at once in a fast easily controllable combat situation is as well.

12. Terragot says:

Ultimate FPS Camera dude must be absolutaly loaded.

13. ViktorBerg says:

“I shouldn’t find the phrase “middle of nowhere” funny, but it my head it is attached to being lost in Wales on holiday with my parents, and so takes on a faint whiff of the ludicrous.”

For me, it is associated with Courage the Cowardly Dog.

• The Random One says:

That was my thought as well. Nowhere being an actual place for comedy purposes is so ingrained in my mind that I can’t think of it as a scary hallucination place.

14. Jake says:

To be honest if Emily is writing giant messages in pig’s blood it might just be best to leave her alone. Use a pen!

Trailer is not very impressive so far, but the devs do say they don’t have a gaming PC so… I guess maybe they haven’t really played it yet.

The combat looks awful, Silent Hill had awful combat too, but the fact that you were usually incapable of killing the enemies just made it more scary. Same as Penumbra, any survival horror where you get a gun and are shooting zombie brains out immediately just isn’t scary (or like in Dead Space where you can casually dissect the zombies, presumably while whistling and stifling a yawn). In both Silent Hill and Penumbra I really loved playing as a not-especially-competent fighter, pretty sure failing repeatedly to kill a lowly spider in the first Penumbra and eventually just having to run the hell away made it far more intense.

15. Penguin_Factory says:

I’m all for very obviously Silent Hill-inspired horror games but this looks pretty janky. Hopefully it’s just an early concept video.

16. Sparkasaurusmex says:

wtf I thought we were through with zombies and on to dragons or robots now

17. staberas says:

Middle Of Nowhere: Prepare to die edition

18. fish99 says:

Nothing changes….nothing.

(lyric from Orbital album Middle of Nowhere)

19. Shiri says:

You are not alone Jim, I have the exact same association. In fact my parents still have a holiday home in Middle Of Nowhere, North Wales (it’s near Anglesey) that they go to often. Many miserable, bored holidays were spent there in my youth before I was old enough to leave in the house on my own.

• Grant_Bitman says:

How can you be in the middle of nowhere if you’re only three hours away from one of the biggest cities in the world?

20. The Enchanting Wizard Of Rhythm says:

That developer quote sounds like it’s come from someone who’s heard the complaints from survival horror fans, but not really grasped them. Isn’t survival important in most games?

21. devronius says:

This game couldn’t be more Silent Hill if it tried. They even ripped off the piano music.

22. pitchman says: