Two (Yes Two!) Starbound Videos For You

By Craig Pearson on August 12th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Space!
I always feel like I’m playing catch-up on Monday mornings. Game news doesn’t stop, so I have to hop back and make sure we didn’t miss anything. But after drinking irradiated orange juice, I accidentally overshot the weekend by about three weeks. So here I am in the past, where everything is black and white and people are riding dinosaurs. Instead of abusing my position as a person unstuck in time, I am going to blog about Starbound. RPS missed this first video of Chucklefish’s space adventure game, so I can post it without causing a paradox and ripping the universe a new timehole.

The first shows just how high up the planets of this procedurally generated space game will allow you to go. Everyone knows that if a game can do seamless transition from space to the ground then it has my heart, which is what Starbound does. Climb up high enough and you’ll head past the clouds and into the world of strange and lumpy asteroids. I’ve no idea what to do up there, but it’s a nice touch for people like me who’d do it anyway. Watch this spaceman do his best Baumgartner impression.

The second video is a bit more explanatory and recent, and shows off the diversity of biomes that Starbound will generate. Two things: number one is that I only learned the term “biome” because of games, and number two is that I never got into Terraria, but Starbound is something I’m very excited about.

It’ll be out this year. Hopefully.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Chalky says:

Looking forward to this so much. The polish they’re putting into it is really fantastic.

• RedViv says:

Aye. Also grand: Daily updates on the development, and the wonderful interactive roadmap.

• dontnormally says:

Do you do anything other than read RPS?
        I swear I see more words from you than of any RPS writers!

• cpt_freakout says:

I’d say the hungarians they’re putting into it are perhaps better, but that’s just me. (badabum-pish)

• phelix says:

I’ll definitely Czech this out at release!

• RedViv says:

Oh great, someone had to be russian to a pun thread.

• Fanbuoy says:

Jamaican complaints about puns on RPS? How Iranic. Anyway, I’m Ghana go out for a walk. I don’t care that it’s Chile.

• Hroradi says:

There is Norway to avoid it, really.

• The Random One says:

I Haiti how it’s like we’ve been en-Slav-ed by our drive to make puns. We should just stop. Quit cold Turkey.

• Bluenose says:

Italia, I don’t Bolivia how this has got so out of hand.

• fredcadete says:

Syria-sly guys, again?

• Sian says:

Quite Francely, I believe you guys are overreacting. These threads aren’t such a Spain in the arse.

• ElDopa says:

Reading these puns Israelly funny. I even registered to join this Chad, it’s Americal! I got Togo now Angolaugh at this Samoa.

• iridescence says:

Game looks promising but un-Finnished. I’ll wait before giving it a proper Peru-sal

• povu says:

Shame that on the forums they still complain that the beta isn’t out yet. Shut up and look at the cool stuff they do when they don’t have to worry about releasing anything yet! You’ll probably be alive next year too, if it comes to that.

• Reapy says:

Yeah following the updates they are basically working like dogs, I don’t know about you bu the last thing I want to think about on the weekend is my work. The game also seems like it is just now finally having a game atmosphere with their latest batch of stuff.

I honestly think the game would suffer horribly if you released the content out there with no game framework, not that anybody would dislike it, but the magic of all the stuff they have put in would be gone without the value and effort of discovering it all through normal means.

• Piecewise says:

People only complain because they want it so much.

And I think a lot of people see the videos and stuff and say “Look! It’s already done! Why aren’t they giving it to us?!” without actually reading about the stuff they’re still doing or looking at the map.

Admittedly, I would like for them to set a hard date that they’re gonna try to release something by. Because it strikes me as the sort of thing that they might otherwise just sit around and fiddle with for another 6 months.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

They said numerous times that they’re just not comfortable with setting a release date. They’ll anounce the beta as soon as they think they can actually make it to a set date.

• maria90 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $75 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $18542 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site…>>> http://www.cnn13.com

2. Skeletor68 says:

I can’t wait dammit! Gonna multiplayer this with the gf. Hopefully her macbook holds up long enough!

Aside: when is the next Terraria patch due?

• RedViv says:

Some time this month, if everything goes according to plan.

• Skeletor68 says:

Sweet! Thanks Redviv.

I’ll likely start a new game and start watching the new TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox videos when it rolls out then. Will make a nice break from all the Dota content over the last few weeks!

3. Reapy says:

Starting to hurt waiting for this one. I hope it doesn’t blow out after the first few frantic hours of exploration. Still, this may be one of those take off work on release games ;)

4. grundus says:

Yes, yes indeed.

5. Tei says:

People on the internets speculate with a beta at the end of september.
    Also this month seems to be planed showing the game in a expo.

This going to be a good game, methinks.

6. Bobka says:

If you’ve been following the daily updates, you may have noticed that the past week or two has become increasingly focused on A) adding content and B) fixing bugs and boosting performance. Adding actual core mechanics isn’t happening that often anymore, or at least isn’t being mentioned.

If one was a mad dreamer, one might conclude that they are wrapping up the core systems and moving towards Alpha or even Beta already.

Either way, I am crazy excited for this.

7. The Random One says:

I am bound to play this when- wait, someone went ahead and made a pun thread about something completely unrelated. Our punstandards are really dropping.

• Sian says:

I don’t think we’ve reached our Apex quite yet. I think we Avian a few more pun threads ahead of us. And Whylotl? They’re quite fun. (I’ve Novakid idea how well this works out. I hope I’m Floran you with these, but I don’t want to overestimate myself.)

8. dE says:

As an old sci-fi nutjob, I have to say: those alien looking biomes are something that pleases me greatly. Like something straight out of early sci-fi novels, when they weren’t yet stuck 20 Minutes into the future. Major Kudos to their artist(s).

9. Liudeius says:

“Seamless transition from space to the ground ”
    Not quite, from all the information I have heard, you use a teleporter to get on planet, then you can climb into “space.”
    It’s a different map.
    As you see in the ship picture, there is no exit.

Starbound is not seemless. You enter a menu and click which planet you want to go to for space travel (with a lightspeed menu between), and you have to teleport to planets from orbit.

Though I suppose that’s subject to change if they can find a way to put multiple, player customized ships near the height limit of the map, but remember, it’s multiplayer and ships can be customized per player, so that’s very unlikely and probably not even on their list of to do’s.

10. Deviija says:

I, too, didn’t get into Terraria, but this is definitely something I am interested in! I have been following it on and off or a while. I am really looking forward to playing it. Hopefully everything promises, from building to crafting to exploring space etc, will be implemented as they envisioned. :)

11. geldonyetich says:

I don’t think I can preorder Starbound any harder than I already have.

>Yes you can, you could upgrade your $20 “Silver” tier level to the $2,000 “Impervium” tier level, and make the coders toil to add your countenance to the game.

…Touche’.

12. Eagle0600 says:

You missed the WIP Singing video, which was adorable.

13. crinkles esq. says:

There’s so many interesting games on the horizon, I forget about half of them. Yes, this game is looking fantastic. Far more cohesive than Terraria.

The only thing that bothers me artistically is the shadow fadeouts on the ground, which feel out-of-place against retro low-res art.